Ross wants a forward (even at a cost), so...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

My left fields are Brogan from Port, Bate from the Dees, Miles Sewell fro Nth Balarat who is always in the best players in the vfl and has apparently gone to another level.

Tiprat44
Club Player

gringo wrote:My left fields are Brogan from Port, Bate from the Dees, Miles Sewell fro Nth Balarat who is always in the best players in the vfl and has apparently gone to another level.
Please tell me this is a joke

"Schneider, here is Hayes belting forward....GODDARD!"
saintjake
Club Player

gringo wrote:Don't see T walsh being a full forward. The irish guys generally are better ground level players with run. FF need to be instinctive ball users to get in the right spots, out muscle etc. they play guys like Tommy and Williams from the dogs as backline players because their man takes them to the ball
Yeah, but all the other Irish guys arent built like a house.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Tiprat44 wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
Tiprat44 wrote:
clarky449 wrote:We wont be challenging for a number of years so dont bother.
Nice positive thinking :roll:
I see it how it is, might be hard for many supporters to see but we are done with this group.
So you think a team that has played in three grand finals in the last one and a half years has no chance?
seeing how they are playing i nearly agree

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

How about something like this.

Gilbert to GWS
Taylor Walker to st kilda
Top 15 pick to Adelaide

I consider this to be a win for everyone.

I would also target McIntosh from north Melbourne.

That way we could have McEvoy, walker and Roo all rotate, through the forward line.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Tiprat44
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:How about something like this.

Gilbert to GWS
Top 15 pick to Adelaide

That way we could have McEvoy, walker and Roo all rotate, through the forward line.
+1000000000

"Schneider, here is Hayes belting forward....GODDARD!"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:How about something like this.

Gilbert to GWS
Top 15 pick to Adelaide

Going to be tough to do as it seems Walker is already there and luckily for us as he and Fev have a lot in common on the ground. They dont chase.

Hallalj#3
Club Player

I'd go for Jesse white he's young he's a great size with good pace and can do a little Ruck work as well.. And he wouldn't cost much at all.. I'd even take a punt on Gumbelton wouldn't give up much for him though..

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I hope if the Saints trade they don't go for ageing players and give away picks. Straight swaps or trade a few of our older guys for picks. GIve them a chance at another club instead of finishing their career. Well, give them that opportunity anyway.

Realistically, Bate from the Dees could happed. I'd take Walker in a heart beat even with his bad wrap (he's not even that bad is he??? can't remember him being in trouble apart from a few beers at the footy and rumors that he doesn't get along with Craig). GWS has him, just about a certainty. Bernie Vince is another on the outer at the Crows. I'd take him as well.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I think Justin Westoff would be good for us, maybe in some sort of deal that also gets us Selwood, Bartel and Mark Murphy in exchange for a third round.
Scratch that, 4th round

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:I think Justin Westoff would be good for us, maybe in some sort of deal that also gets us Selwood, Bartel and Mark Murphy in exchange for a third round.
Scratch that, 4th round
Someone on here would still think it's a bad deal :roll:

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i doubt they would

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:i doubt they would
C'mon, someone would criticise us for getting Westhoff instead of Jack Riewoldt :wink:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Westhoff is Rhys Stanley with an extra couple of seasons in him. Big talent lack of application. Brogan is an a grade ruckman and would get us first use of the ball at stoppages, he is aggressive and would come free as he is being delisted and the new clubs wouldn't want him.

Miles Sewell is a freebie and when Barlow got picked up he came second to Sewell from memory in the liston trophy for vfl b and f. He is really unlucky not to get picked up by an afl team yet.

Fev wasn't bad on field at Brissy just like a whirlwind of trouble off it. Brisbane had Fev and Brown and were winning heaps, he got injured and they fell away. The lions thought he was a bad influence on their young list, we have some good leaders at the saints that I would back to keep him partially in line.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Tiprat44 wrote:
PJ wrote:I agree that midfielders are currently more of an urgent need than forwards. The one that springs to mind that is out of favour over here in Adelaide is Bernie Vince - club best and fairest so he's got runs on the board but seems a bit out of Craig's popular books at present.
I think we have enough soft outside mids at the moment
Ha good one, Vince is not a soft outside player - he just had 12 contested poss & 5 tackles on the week-end (59 cont poss this year in 6-7 games)
- would take him in a heartbeat
Try again :shock:

As for a forward, they should look at Jack Darling and Sam Day...
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Thu 16 Jun 2011 12:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I see Johnson kicked five for Sandringham at the weekend and Tommy Walsh also kicked a couple playing in second ruck. Sippo also knows where the goals are. Many were reasonably impressed with Gamble's game in the seniors (despite his lack of goals).

So we may already have a few candidates without having to recruit another outsider.

Unless there is a gun on the market who we can get cheap, why not develop our own?

Ross probably said it to gee a few guys up.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Justin Westoff's stats are 108 goals 55 behinds from 80 games. He can obviously convert and would take pressure off Roo who can't. Me thinks that would be handy.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:I see Johnson kicked five for Sandringham at the weekend and Tommy Walsh also kicked a couple playing in second ruck. Sippo also knows where the goals are. Many were reasonably impressed with Gamble's game in the seniors (despite his lack of goals).

So we may already have a few candidates without having to recruit another outsider.

Unless there is a gun on the market who we can get cheap, why not develop our own?

Ross probably said it to gee a few guys up.
Johnson seems to be in the same position Goose was. Too many quality backs so they're trying to make him into a forward with some good results in the reserves. Just needs the opportunity and to bring the form into the seniors.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

edit
Last edited by Teflon on Thu 16 Jun 2011 12:44am, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

edit
Last edited by Teflon on Thu 16 Jun 2011 12:44am, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The point I reckon many miss is that its not just that we need a fwd...its a certain type of forward we should target.

Pure lead-up fwds - aka Riewoldt/Hall types are struggling with the modren game....why? cause they now have guys/zones blocking their space they need to run into as the whole press moves up and down the field. THIS is why CONTESTED MARKING, stand in a pack and deliver type fwds are the type we need - along with and to compliment Riewoldt AND to bring our smalls into the game. Collingwood use Cloke AND Daws a lot in this way - they are strong enough to hold their ground in a marking contest, not get pushed under the ball and make a genuine contest. Kosi cant do this - unless he gets a run at the ball for the big leap he's usually out muscled.

Thi is the exact reason I felt Hall wasnt a great fit for the Dogs - sure on a lead with their mids delivering to him lace out hes great, but the Dogs in 09 already had multiple avenues to goal........what they needed was a big, strong contested fwd who could at least make a contest and at worst bring the ball to ground. When the ball gets bombed in long Hall is swamped....he's better on the lead.

For all this its why I say NO to Fevola. Again, great lace out on a lead....but sides zones dont allow that and he cant chase/tackle and has headcase issues.

Im not sure if there is many that fit the bill of a strong, contested marking fwd....maybe a Darling?..............I was sort of hoping that maybe a Johnson/Archer could do this for us??? (more so Johnson cause he also seems to posess decent defensive aspect?).

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:The point I reckon many miss is that its not just that we need a fwd...its a certain type of forward we should target.

Pure lead-up fwds - aka Riewoldt/Hall types are struggling with the modren game....why? cause they now have guys/zones blocking their space they need to run into as the whole press moves up and down the field. THIS is why CONTESTED MARKING, stand in a pack and deliver type fwds are the type we need - along with and to compliment Riewoldt AND to bring our smalls into the game. Collingwood use Cloke AND Daws a lot in this way - they are strong enough to hold their ground in a marking contest, not get pushed under the ball and make a genuine contest. Kosi cant do this - unless he gets a run at the ball for the big leap he's usually out muscled.

Thi is the exact reason I felt Hall wasnt a great fit for the Dogs - sure on a lead with their mids delivering to him lace out hes great, but the Dogs in 09 already had multiple avenues to goal........what they needed was a big, strong contested fwd who could at least make a contest and at worst bring the ball to ground. When the ball gets bombed in long Hall is swamped....he's better on the lead.

For all this its why I say NO to Fevola. Again, great lace out on a lead....but sides zones dont allow that and he cant chase/tackle and has headcase issues.

Im not sure if there is many that fit the bill of a strong, contested marking fwd....maybe a Darling?..............I was sort of hoping that maybe a Johnson/Archer could do this for us??? (more so Johnson cause he also seems to posess decent defensive aspect?).
I think you're spot on. I forgot about Archer and don't forget Walsh, who has the build of a power forward.

Thing about a strong contested marking forward is that it encourages and rewards quick movement of the ball like nothing else.

Saintersss
Club Player

There is only one realistic target that I think the Saints should chase for the the Full-Forward position and that is Jesse White. Had a fairly good year last year, still young, big bodied forward who can crash the packs, has the ability to play in the ruck to provide a chop-out for McEvoy and wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Has been overtaken by Reid this year, but I still think he is a good forward. Obviously he is no guarantee to become a certain player, but I think there is enough there to work with.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:Westhoff is Rhys Stanley with an extra couple of seasons in him. Big talent lack of application. Brogan is an a grade ruckman and would get us first use of the ball at stoppages, he is aggressive and would come free as he is being delisted and the new clubs wouldn't want him.
Port would be on the floor laughing if anyone wanted to trade for Brogan... he's older than Gards.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
gringo wrote:Westhoff is Rhys Stanley with an extra couple of seasons in him. Big talent lack of application. Brogan is an a grade ruckman and would get us first use of the ball at stoppages, he is aggressive and would come free as he is being delisted and the new clubs wouldn't want him.
Port would be on the floor laughing if anyone wanted to trade for Brogan... he's older than Gards.
Also, this thread is about Ross wanting a key forward, so I don't know why we're talking about Brogan regardless of the cost.