Jack Steven - R10 Rising Star!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... 1feok.html
Martin obviously got enough feed back to run with a full article

Personally, I would go for the simpler version, and make it a first-year player award. It's just not right as it is.

but many players who are trying to get into a team doing well may not play in their first year- so does their first year become their second year and why shouldn't they still be eligible- ala Jack.
which may be the very reason the guidelines are as they are...
I'd venture to say that based on the Blake method, GC would have the award stitched up before the season started on weight of numbers and that alone would make it fanciful. Same with GWS next year.

Most first year players don't play in their first year.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
stinger
Saintsational Legend

his view...not mine...fine the way it is...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Martin's point would be clearer if he explained what his concept of a Rising Star is.

I don't see a problem with it in its current form. As I've been on record saying, it rewards cellar dwellers. Which unfortunately is us at the moment.

As if we don't have enough pain at the moment. We get a lollipop and this grinch wants to snatch it out of our hands. F**k him - oops $240 fine.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
goodie
Club Player

Of course the bozo didn't begrudge Zac Smith a nomination (just because he's a first year, he's had a similar number of years of weight training and development put into him).

Turn it into a first year player award and the winners will be almost exclusively midfielders from cellar dwellar clubs. Rucks won't get a shot and the only KPP's nominated will be man-children like Darling.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I suggest he looks up 'rising' in the dictionary.

overitalready
Club Player

Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, an unselfish woman- what do they all have in common? Answer- we would all like to believe they are true, but they are all fictional.
overitalready
Club Player

one of the mods might delete if I ask nicely...I have no idea how I did this (just like Clint Jones, had no idea how his kicks went thru the goals)
Last edited by overitalready on Thu 02 Jun 2011 11:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, an unselfish woman- what do they all have in common? Answer- we would all like to believe they are true, but they are all fictional.
overitalready
Club Player

Story about young Jack Stevens

interesting story in our favourite fish-wrapper
Last edited by overitalready on Thu 02 Jun 2011 11:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

avid wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
jays wrote:
saint66au wrote:Oh it just gets better..martin Blake from the Age has just tweeted..

Any suggestions for a better Rising Star criteria, folks? Jack Steven is a 4th yr player. Good luck to him, but shouldn't be eligible...

So what if 2 of those 4 years were spent battling chronic injury? The criterias worked ok for the last 15(?) years Martin...then someone comes along you dont think deserves it so you want it changed?

Pffft

:roll:
what a wank
Hardly a terrible thought, I mean Jack himself didn't realise he was even eligible. It's an arbitrary award. Why wasn't Podsiadly eligible last year? Because he was 28, but started on 0 league games.

And Blake is a Saints man anyway.
I think the criteria are fine.

But I'm far more offended by Blake's misuse of "criteria" as singular.
(Good try p66, but "criterias" just doesn't correct it!)
I think the criteria is inexusably bad.

However I think it's worse that a 21 year with 16 games to his name can actually bring that to attention, when the ineligibility of the 2 best first year players for 2010 went without note in the popular media.

Huge fan of Steven's game the last couple of weeks. Barlow-esque.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford