Riewoldt theory

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Riewoldt theory

During the first quarter most times we went forward I was thinking, where's Roo.

It seemed that he was playing almost as a winger.

I reckon it was a team plan to get Mcpharlin (almost in AA form this year) and their key defender out of the area.

Without him guiding that backline they are pretty flaky and could be and were exposed.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

I hope we keep using riewoldt as a decoy.

Collingwood, especially, will fall for it. Keep him up the ground, drag out maxwell, obrien and shaw. Could be interesting.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:I hope we keep using riewoldt as a decoy.

Collingwood, especially, will fall for it. Keep him up the ground, drag out maxwell, obrien and shaw. Could be interesting.
Why would Collingwood fall for it if he is a decoy. Is their coaching panel dumb? Lets use him for whats best for the side and if that is playing deep forward next week, well do it.

georgie girl
Club Player

I think Roo's value was underrated yesterday - many times he chased an opponent, either caught them or got a hand to their jumper - just enough to cause a wayward kick and a turnover. That forward pressure that was so important to us in the last couple of years. Not flashy, doesn't get any votes but is a huge benefit to the team. :D

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

If anything we saw yesterday is an indicator. We're in for a real shot at creating an upset for the Pies next week! Get there and get behind them! Roo worked well on the wing I thought.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

seemed to play almost on a wing. a few SS people have been calling for that for a while.

we seemed to leave a really open fwd line then kick into it inside 50 over heads and let players lead back towards the goals.

wont work every week but works sometimes and shows we can mix it up a bit. was great to watch at times.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 29 May 2011 5:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

seano1
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
ralphsmith wrote:I hope we keep using riewoldt as a decoy.

Why would Collingwood fall for it if he is a decoy. Is their coaching panel dumb? Lets use him for whats best for the side and if that is playing deep forward next week, well do it.

well as generally has 3 guys belting the ball out of his hands and no crumbers are ever around and him playing deep against the likes of the pies hasnt won us a grannie so why not mix it up.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I actually thought we stole a bit of the Pies game plan yesterday. We kicked goals past the forward line and backed our forward pressure if it came back. We must have been pretty low in the stats for goals from midfielders until yesterday but we showed there are good goal kickers there. we will make for some headaches for the pies coaching panel, just because we are changing plans by the week.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I actually thought we stole a bit of the Pies game plan yesterday. We kicked goals past the forward line and backed our forward pressure if it came back. We must have been pretty low in the stats for goals from midfielders until yesterday but we showed there are good goal kickers there. we will make for some headaches for the pies coaching panel, just because we are changing plans by the week.
Agree, last week i was at the game early and saw the boys warm up . At the end of it as they were having their final kicks at goal , Dal kicked a torp from 55 out that looked to go through the goals almost post high , i said to others around me why the F@#$ dosen't he ever kick long like that in a match , our players with ability need to sometimes do things out of the ordinary to mix it up

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

How good were a couple of his pickups on the half volley???

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Stan said on the radio, he just let winmar kick torps, everyone else had to do team discipline.

Sometimes when you have someone that special?

idk im not the coach.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Riewoldt theory

terry smith rules wrote:

I reckon it was a team plan to get Mcpharlin (almost in AA form this year) and their key defender out of the area.

Without him guiding that backline they are pretty flaky and could be and were exposed.
Yes I heard a caller ring in SEN Sunday morning with that theory expanded with creating space for our smalls and mids...and yes I agree I think it was a deliberate tactic...and one very well suited to a big ground.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:

Yes I heard a caller ring in SEN Sunday morning with that theory expanded with creating space for our smalls and mids...and yes I agree I think it was a deliberate tactic...and one very well suited to a big ground.
that was me, thought I would put it here as well

fqf

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Need to work out a good balance between the two roles.

Against the Hawks I was quietly spewing he had such an good first quarter, because I reckon any plan to move him was scrapped, as he wooed the coaching staff into again believing it's best for the team if he tries to win the game off his own boot.

Push him forward, move him up, and repeat again, and again.

Take the predictibility out of it, for his sake, and everyone elses.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:During the first quarter most times we went forward I was thinking, where's Roo.

It seemed that he was playing almost as a winger.

heard exactly the same thing on SEN this morning.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
kalsaint
Club Player

St. Luke wrote:If anything we saw yesterday is an indicator. We're in for a real shot at creating an upset for the Pies next week! Get there and get behind them! Roo worked well on the wing I thought.
hopw you are right but look what happened to the Weagles who steaming along prior to this weekend.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
St. Luke wrote:If anything we saw yesterday is an indicator. We're in for a real shot at creating an upset for the Pies next week! Get there and get behind them! Roo worked well on the wing I thought.
hopw you are right but look what happened to the Weagles who steaming along prior to this weekend.
Yes on 2011 form, I'll believe it when I see it. But if we can win this week, the lid is being ripped off.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Riewoldt's best position has always been on the wing. Out of necessity he has become and been quite a good power forward in his career but his probably the greatest wingman to never play his true position.

In the Grant Thomas era when we had numerous strong forward options, Roo would push up onto the wing and we would just destroy teams... It really shows what a great footballer he is that he can play just about any position on the ground.

I agree that his attitude to tackling and chasing has certainly increased as well.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Roo looks like a natural up the ground on a wing etc, so we need a decoy CHF. Most opposition coaches have put a lot of work into nullifying Roo across half forward, so it is logical to use him in another role for the good of the team. I wonder if Walsh could be brought in at CHF- big body, good pace??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:Riewoldt's best position has always been on the wing. Out of necessity he has become and been quite a good power forward in his career but his probably the greatest wingman to never play his true position.

In the Grant Thomas era when we had numerous strong forward options, Roo would push up onto the wing and we would just destroy teams... It really shows what a great footballer he is that he can play just about any position on the ground.

I agree that his attitude to tackling and chasing has certainly increased as well.
Rooy's best position is on the forward line. 5 B&F suggest that plus a few AA suggests that. On the forward line he is elite runner and very good below his knees. On the wing he is an average runner and average below his knees. At the moment he may be required to play further up the ground but if we are ever going to make the finals again with Rooy in our side he will be required to play mainly in the forward line. In case people forget Rooy played forward in the last 2 years and we made the GF both times.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Why?

Collingwood beat the hottest young team in the competition without breaking into a sweat.

We beat an injury addled bunch of softcocks by slotting improbable goals (Peake? Jones x 2??????!!!!!!, Montagna, Schneider) from pretty much everywhere.

I'm not being negative, I'd love to upset the Maggies, but there's a genuinely alarming lack of perspective on here since Saturday's game.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong. Hope so.

I'm not even close to convinced we are within six or seven goals of Collingwood.

Will gladly wipe egg from my face though.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Why?

Collingwood beat the hottest young team in the competition without breaking into a sweat.

We beat an injury addled bunch of softcocks by slotting improbable goals (Peake? Jones x 2??????!!!!!!, Montagna, Schneider) from pretty much everywhere.
I think it's the way we did it that inspires some confidence. Different forward set-up, midfielders kicking goals, team supporting eachother defensively and taking risks on the other side. Freo supporters use the injury excuse, they haven't lost too many to write home about - softcocks, yes.

Collingwood beat no-one yesterday - don't get sucked into that. GC could have beaten the Doggies by 100 points at home too.

Certainly, had we been running on form lately, the changes in both Collingwood's defense and our attack, could produce some interesting results. I'm by no way confident of a win, but will be interested to see how we go.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Rooy's best position is on the forward line. 5 B&F suggest that plus a few AA suggests that. On the forward line he is elite runner and very good below his knees. On the wing he is an average runner and average below his knees. At the moment he may be required to play further up the ground but if we are ever going to make the finals again with Rooy in our side he will be required to play mainly in the forward line. In case people forget Rooy played forward in the last 2 years and we made the GF both times.
We have been worked out by opposition teams with Roo deep inside 50. He wasn't going to win AA or B&F's by losing contests when outnumbered 3-1 or 4-1.

Game plans and styles are ever-evolving. For our sake and Roo's sake he needed to get out of the 50m arc. He will still demand an opponent that is tall enough to go with him in the air...If the opposition sends a smaller then Roo becomes the link between defence and attack. If he marks it enough and sets up enough scores, then the opposition will need to find someone taller. Either way, I'd back Roo to get the better of the match-up.

noreason41
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
Why?

I'm not being negative, I'd love to upset the Maggies, but there's a genuinely alarming lack of perspective on here since Saturday's game.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong. Hope so.

I'm not even close to convinced we are within six or seven goals of Collingwood.

Will gladly wipe egg from my face though.
You can only beat what's in front of you.

We've generally been good against the top teams over the last few years, even when down on form, we always (almost) manage to keep it competitive and give ourselves a shot.

It'd be nice if we could play a couple of games warming up to Collingwood, but it's make or break against them now.

If we pressure and work hard like we did this week, we'll be close enough to have a crack.

spert
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:Riewoldt's best position has always been on the wing. Out of necessity he has become and been quite a good power forward in his career but his probably the greatest wingman to never play his true position.

Rooy's best position is on the forward line. 5 B&F suggest that plus a few AA suggests that. On the forward line he is elite runner and very good below his knees. On the wing he is an average runner and average below his knees. At the moment he may be required to play further up the ground but if we are ever going to make the finals again with Rooy in our side he will be required to play mainly in the forward line. In case people forget Rooy played forward in the last 2 years and we made the GF both times.
Unfortunately, Roo has made no impact in our GFs- beaten by his direct opponent. This is the time we do a few different things, as it will benefit the team down the track. If a team becomes predicatable, the opposition works it out eventually.