Sub for Round 2?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sub for Round 2?

I assume Peake will be in the starting 21 this week so he gets some game time up, although he did well as the Subbie.

My thoughts are another quickish running type, perhaps Clint Jones, given his lack of form of late might be better suited as a sub.

Thoughts?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if Jones is still having problems with his ankle, which might explain his form being a bit down?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I wonder if Jones is still having problems with his ankle, which might explain his form being a bit down?
dunno but if he needs rest thehn rest his ankle. too many players hobbling around or out of form and then people making constant excuses for them every week. jones been out of form for 12 months now and just came out of summer break. if ur injured dont play and try out a younger player. they cant be worse than an out of form, half hobbling GOP.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

peake was a crap sub
butchered just under 50% of his disposals

degruch
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:peake was a crap sub
A win for us then, he was only on the ground 50% of the time.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Geary, armo, cripps, peake......one of .....all will play

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I reckon you're right that Peake will play. I thought he did alright. There wasn't alot of elite passing by anyone to be seen last Friday night. I fear sometimes fans criticise Peake a little to readily in this regard, as it's a bit of a known fact, but not everytime justified imo.
Jones is still getting game time in. He hasn't had much in terms of pre-season games. I would expect him to play each week and improve gradually.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:I reckon you're right that Peake will play. I thought he did alright. There wasn't alot of elite passing by anyone to be seen last Friday night. I fear sometimes fans criticise Peake a little to readily in this regard, as it's a bit of a known fact, but not everytime justified imo.
Jones is still getting game time in. He hasn't had much in terms of pre-season games. I would expect him to play each week and improve gradually.
I'm not sure Jones would be able to come on as a sub and blow a game apart.

His best footy has always been as a tagger. Really need someone who can use his freshness to provide run and to set up opportunities.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

If we liked the run Peake gave us last week and are concerned Cripps may not be able to run out a game, but want to play him, he could very well get the gig this week.
I thought Peake gave us a lot of run and spark when he came on last week. It was very noticeable at the ground. It's just a real shame about his kicking.
Maybe he should be encouraged to just run with it as far as he can, even if that means running almost the length of the ground with it. Then, when he gets close enough to someone, he can handball it off to them, especially if he's able to draw that guys opponent to him and handball it over the top. There's no rule that says you have to kick it after you've run a long way.
That way, we get his long, line breaking runs, but without the regular turnovers that mean the ball comes back out just as fast.
Run, Forest, run!

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saintjake
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:If we liked the run Peake gave us last week and are concerned Cripps may not be able to run out a game, but want to play him, he could very well get the gig this week.
I thought Peake gave us a lot of run and spark when he came on last week. It was very noticeable at the ground. It's just a real shame about his kicking.
Maybe he should be encouraged to just run with it as far as he can, even if that means running almost the length of the ground with it. Then, when he gets close enough to someone, he can handball it off to them, especially if he's able to draw that guys opponent to him and handball it over the top. There's no rule that says you have to kick it after you've run a long way.
That way, we get his long, line breaking runs, but without the regular turnovers that mean the ball comes back out just as fast.
Run, Forest, run!
OR we could steal Gary Rohan or Jetta from sydney - anyone see their runs on the weekend? Breath taking stuff

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Noticed Winmar was in our best again at Sandy.

Reckon the sub would be great for a debut, not so much pressure, potentially only play for a quarter or two?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Cripps appears to be the annointed "Teachers Pet" to take over from Lenny. I expect that he will be in the starting 21 this week and Peake will be given the flouro vest again !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

11 disposals at 55% eff - at least that's 5-6 good disposals - Dal Santo was one of the Saints best, his disposal eff 57% :shock:

Doubt Peake could sustain that for a full match, but I thought he gave some run when he came on...

Apparently on the wrap on Saints TV Adam Kingsley spoke about Peake doing a good job in the (sub) role. They had a few clips showing kicks very much to the advantage of the team.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
saintjake
Club Player

MCG-Unit wrote:
11 disposals at 55% eff - at least that's 5-6 good disposals - Dal Santo was one of the Saints best, his disposal eff 57% :shock:

Doubt Peake could sustain that for a full match, but I thought he gave some run when he came on...

Apparently on the wrap on Saints TV Adam Kingsley spoke about Peake doing a good job in the (sub) role. They had a few clips showing kicks very much to the advantage of the team.
yeah, pleanty of praise for Peaky from Kingsley but I really do doubt that they will use the same person as a sub for an extended period, lose to much match fitness, that is unless they do heaps of extra at training.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

saintjake wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

yeah, pleanty of praise for Peaky from Kingsley but I really do doubt that they will use the same person as a sub for an extended period, lose to much match fitness, that is unless they do heaps of extra at training.
Yep I guess it's doubtful they will use the same sub - I just posted because Peake cops a lot from some Saints supporters - and yet he gave something when subbed - which I reckon he does most times he plays :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cripps or Armo for me. The longshot could be Grammy but doubt it.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Milney, would be full of beans when he came off the bench and would also avoid being manned up by the opposition's second best defender.

Longwayfromhome
Club Player

Roo would be the ideal sub.
No need to worry about three to four players hanging off him for three quarters. Bring him on in the last and play him where the team needs the most impact. Got to be a winner.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:Milney, would be full of beans when he came off the bench and would also avoid being manned up by the opposition's second best defender.

But he would probably only play a quarter. We kicked 6 goals last week so I doubt we can lose our second best forward for 3 quarters.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

My hope is that they try Will johnson out while his motivation is up, reward the effort of probably the single most improved player on our list. He looked crap last year and he looks a possible this year. He knows last chances need taking and worth a shot as a last quarter forward. Our forward line needs a guy who takes them on and he did that in the NAB, takes pressure off Rooey and Gamble as well.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:My hope is that they try Will johnson out while his motivation is up, reward the effort of probably the single most improved player on our list. He looked crap last year and he looks a possible this year. He knows last chances need taking and worth a shot as a last quarter forward. Our forward line needs a guy who takes them on and he did that in the NAB, takes pressure off Rooey and Gamble as well.
Will Johnson, most improved on our list. Excuse me but what is that based on? Obviously everyone else must have stagnated or gone backwards.

saintjake
Club Player

If Kosi plays my money will be on him or stanley being the sub.
Stanley if they decide to play Kosi first, or other way round, I would personally like to see Stanley first then Kosi coming in for the last and just going craaazzzy

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Cripps appears to be the annointed "Teachers Pet" to take over from Lenny. I expect that he will be in the starting 21 this week and Peake will be given the flouro vest again !!
i think eddy and dempster were pets for a while.

good news is lenny and lyon both love ledger. cant wait for him to play.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:My hope is that they try Will johnson out while his motivation is up, reward the effort of probably the single most improved player on our list. He looked crap last year and he looks a possible this year. He knows last chances need taking and worth a shot as a last quarter forward. Our forward line needs a guy who takes them on and he did that in the NAB, takes pressure off Rooey and Gamble as well.
Will Johnson, most improved on our list. Excuse me but what is that based on? Obviously everyone else must have stagnated or gone backwards.
Well he could well be seeing as he's coming off such a low base - a base far lower than just about anyone else on the list.

saintbob
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
saintbob wrote:Milney, would be full of beans when he came off the bench and would also avoid being manned up by the opposition's second best defender.

But he would probably only play a quarter. We kicked 6 goals last week so I doubt we can lose our second best forward for 3 quarters.
Well I hate to tell you this, but Milney was there for 4 quarters last week!!

We need to change things up, we're becoming as predictable with our line up as we're when we go forward and continually kick it to Roo