Can the team regain their hunger ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I am concerned that given all the off field problems and let downs of losing the past 2 GF's that the SAINTS will be emotionally spent.

I will be pleasantly surprised if we get there again !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Can the team regain their hunger ?

WinnersOnly wrote:Can the team regain their hunger ?

I am concerned that given all the off field problems and let downs of losing the past 2 GF's that the SAINTS will be emotionally spent.

All the more reason to hope some young unspent players force their way into the lineup.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Off field, is it all it's been hyped up to be?

The young ones who stuffed up could allow it to dampen their enthusiasm, but I'd like to think the suspension kicked their butts into gear.

Last year was probably as bad if not worse, given the school scandal actually implied guilt lay with the club, this year it's proven to be based on a lie.

This year the potential distractions are the Lovett case (which was hanging around last year) the Milne ongoing murmurings (which have been handing around for years) and some boys getting taunted about nude photo's.

As far as on field, people seem to think Dogs will be thereabouts again, and they have the let downs of not even making a grand final for a few years running.

Least our boys have mentally overcome the prelim hurdle.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah I have the same concern myself. This time last year it was all about retribution, and going one step further etc. This year it all seems a bit flat, and I think us supporters are a bit the same.

This is how I think our season will go......

Rounds 1-6 - every team is up and about - the adrenalin of footy being back will carry us, with the bye in the middle, to probably 4-1.

Rounds 7-20 - once the niggles set in, everyone drops off a bit. I think we will struggle here, maybe going 50/50, which will give us 10-7 and sitting around 7th on the ladder, with both byes out of the way.

Round 21-24 and beyond - once the sniff of finals comes along, we'll get a move on. I think our intencity will lift, the guys will be peaking and i'd expect us to be tough to beat again.

So to the OP, I guess we wont see the sustained effort over the year that we've become used to, but once we get to the pointy end, we'll be thereabouts.....

bergsone
SS Life Member

IMO we should and will be more hungry than before,afterall this group is yet to achieve the ultimate .They know what is required to get there so they should be really hungry for the next step
Injuries and player availability are the unknown

As for the off field problems they should be just that OFF FIELD gone and forgotten,look forward not back should be the motto

Been on the band wagon too long now,not jumping off

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

Off field, is it all it's been hyped up to be?

The young ones who stuffed up could allow it to dampen their enthusiasm, but I'd like to think the suspension kicked their butts into gear.

Last year was probably as bad if not worse, given the school scandal actually implied guilt lay with the club, this year it's proven to be based on a lie.

This year the potential distractions are the Lovett case (which was hanging around last year) the Milne ongoing murmurings (which have been handing around for years) and some boys getting taunted about nude photo's.

As far as on field, people seem to think Dogs will be thereabouts again, and they have the let downs of not even making a grand final for a few years running.

Least our boys have mentally overcome the prelim hurdle.
Everyone's talking the Doggies up but I'm not convinced either way.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not convinced the players have any shortage of hunger, anger, and frustration.

I think it's the fans who are emotionally spent after not only the multiple Grand Final losses, but after being so close in GF1, only to be smashed in GF2, having the club continually cast in a negative light by the media since Christmas, and witnessing a totally uninspiring preseason.

Round 1 can't arrive soon enough. Then we'll know.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

!
I think you may mean retain.

Pretty sure we have been in the GF two years running.

As to retaining it = http://www.saints.com.au/the%20challeng ... fault.aspx

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

!
Nicely said.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Players attitudes are the great unknown and wil remain so until we get into the season.

The Bulldogs have failed in the Prelim for 3 years running but the "experts" don't raise that as a barrier to success this year.

And then there's Collingwood. They certainly appear to be up and about and are flag favorites. But when the going gets tough will they all be prepared to go that extra yard knowing they already have medals around their necks?

Best part is we're about to find out the answers to all those questions. :)

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Is Ross Lyon up for the challenge, too?

His body language and demeanour have certainly shown that he's not oozing over-confidence this year. In fact, he looks less than enthused and a trifle concerned. This week, when interviewed, he said that he was unsure how we'd go in the early rounds, whereas last year he would hve been enthusing about our structures and how they would stand up to any early season pressure.

I hope that internally at the club things are different, and Ross is displaying the kind of confidence that hi players can latch onto.

As for the players, I fear that they're a little bit burnt out from the past 3 seasons, and they see that it'll be up to the same old guys to drag them over the line each week. That in itself can make it daunting rather than exciting for them. If I were Ross, I'd throw in a couple of youngsters early to give the teama bit of a lift in enthusiasm.

But then again, as Ross says..."I don't gift games"

Vazelos
Club Player

If we dont get some players stepping up like Gwilt did last year and Goddard takeing his game to the next stratosphere we are going to struggle to take the next step.

The names have been mentioned many times- Stanley, Steven etc

Everyone is talking up the doggies and talking us down.

Plenty of motivation to prove them wrong.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Who cares about talk......it's actions that count...if we win a few all those that jumped off will be back on.....

i just hope the 63 development coaches Ross now has can progress the young up and comers quicker than in the recent past and have them more skilled....including under pressure....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: i just hope the 63 development coaches Ross now has can progress the young up and comers quicker than in the recent past and have them more skilled....including under pressure....
....and the facilities, not enough been said about the club now having every opportunity to prepare well in a new state of the art training centre.

Surely the gym, pool, sports hall, MCG sized oval, all lends itself towards the betterment of these guys fitness and recovery.

Don't forget, recovery used to consist of an esky and ice. :shock:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Is Ross Lyon up for the challenge, too?

His body language and demeanour have certainly shown that he's not oozing over-confidence this year. In fact, he looks less than enthused and a trifle concerned. This week, when interviewed, he said that he was unsure how we'd go in the early rounds, whereas last year he would hve been enthusing about our structures and how they would stand up to any early season pressure.

I hope that internally at the club things are different, and Ross is displaying the kind of confidence that hi players can latch onto.

As for the players, I fear that they're a little bit burnt out from the past 3 seasons, and they see that it'll be up to the same old guys to drag them over the line each week. That in itself can make it daunting rather than exciting for them. If I were Ross, I'd throw in a couple of youngsters early to give the teama bit of a lift in enthusiasm.

Funny but watching The Challenge trailer and listening to Lyon.....then hearing Paul Roos (close mate) question Lyon staying on if the off field stuff continues.......I did start to wonder....where was this coming from? Has Ross started to reach the fatigue point?

Im also very much of the view - and more so for the core of quality that we clearly have - that we MUST find something re: kids this season. NOTHING revitalises and excites a football club more than the fact that the talent cupboard isnt bare.....and no disrespect.....I dont count "role players" as that next step type talent.

Interesting appointment on Wheadon(?) ...Lyon talking up his involvement in developing Geelongs skill level.......THATS where we need to go.

Armitage
Steven
McEvoy
Smith
Stanley
Gamble (not new...but new...if u follow)
Cripps*
Ledger*
Winmar*

YOUR TIME IS NOW.

* = possible "bolters" but have shown they may be capable of a game or 3 this year already

“Yeah….nah””
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
cwrcyn wrote:Is Ross Lyon up for the challenge, too?

Funny but watching The Challenge trailer and listening to Lyon.....then hearing Paul Roos (close mate) question Lyon staying on if the off field stuff continues.......I did start to wonder....where was this coming from? Has Ross started to reach the fatigue point?

Im also very much of the view - and more so for the core of quality that we clearly have - that we MUST find something re: kids this season. NOTHING revitalises and excites a football club more than the fact that the talent cupboard isnt bare.....and no disrespect.....I dont count "role players" as that next step type talent.

Interesting appointment on Wheadon(?) ...Lyon talking up his involvement in developing Geelongs skill level.......THATS where we need to go.

Armitage
Steven
McEvoy
Smith
Stanley
Gamble (not new...but new...if u follow)
Cripps*
Ledger*
Winmar*

YOUR TIME IS NOW.

* = possible "bolters" but have shown they may be capable of a game or 3 this year already
Funny you don't mention Lynch in your list. For me, he has the most to prove and the most to do this season. I hope he can register otherwise it's a case of mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I actually think that from disaster you get resolve. They can get hungry again, more just tired and less application can hurt.

At least we have some guys coming through that will make life tough for players that are performing badly. I actually think guys like Peake, Dempster, Geary, Mini and Eddy could really step and make a difference. Most of them are about to have played the minimum amount of games required to play consistent footy.

The kids haven't had a lot of game time so will be a real bonus if they break through. Apart from Mc evoy, Armo, Steven and maybe Stanley we haven't really got games into anyone else.

The pleasing thing is if they play and don't perform we have Al smith, Simpkin, Lynch etc all really deserving a few games for development.

If any of our new kids play it's a bonus, any become instant stars it's awesome.

spert
Saintsational Legend

We need strong leadership from the experienced players if we are going to get another crack at a flag. The disappointing thing I noticed from the Saints at the GF replay, was the lack of leadership on the day- our captain got beaten too easily and didn't lead by example. I thought our backline did a very good job, but those in the forward line, got beaten in individual contests and really let the club down on the most important day. The hunger will return when we string a few convincing wins together early, and this week's game is as important as any for that reason.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

It's easy to see how they could be emotionally spent and struggle to get up again this year, but one thing that I believe could get them excited about playing footy again (on top of any of the younger ones coming in and bringing added enthusiasm), is playing the more attacking/aggressive/positive footy we keep hearing we're going to play.
We were no where near as good last year as we were for most of the previous year and I think a lot of that could have come down to how taxing and draining playing the way we were playing could have been on them. It didn't exactly look to be an enjoyable, fun way of playing the game. And all the negativity from the media and general public about how unattractive and boring we were to watch would have most likely added to that, as most don't want to be considered boring and unwatchable, no matter what they say.
If we manage to play this more attacking, adventurous, exciting style we're hearing about it could easily give them their passion for playing back (if any of them have lost it). As they say, a change is as good as a holiday and when that change is also to doing something more exciting and adventurous it's likely to be doubly effective.
I have no doubt that we can be more successful with a more balanced approach, with regards to defense/attack and being more successful will also give them the boost they need to climb that mountain again.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Wed 23 Mar 2011 10:32am, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

We will go nowhere if the younger players do not improve. I just wish they would grasp their opportunities and make the most of it. They have to be busting a gut to push their way into the side.

An example, Gwilt reached a point where he just said f*** it and worked his ass off and became a great player.

Who of the next crew will follow Gwilts example and carve themselves into a bloody good footballing unit?

If opposition teams only need to shutdown Goddard, Riewoldt, Dal Santo and Montagna we are in serious trouble. Serious serious trouble.

And the eternal question of hunger lingers. Is it gone? Is it still there? Who knows. When you experience 2 crushing grand final losses in a row some players will be strengthened by it. Others, maybe not.

Will we rise from the two soul destroying grand final losses?

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

!
Nicely said.
Better yet, contain.

I think the likes of Goddard, Roo, Hayes, etc, etc, know exactly what's been missed, what's at stake, and what's required.

When and if it comes down to it this year, I'd hate to be standing between this group and a flag more than anyone other.

Hunger is one thing we don't have to worry about.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I'm confident we will win the flag.

The Pies are young and wont be up again and will be found wanting like the Hawks were in 2009. Ross has had 6 months to plan against them.

We have Footscray covered - Our finals bitches.

Geelong are old and spent.

We are still primed and ready to do the deed.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Winmar
Club Player

I hope you're right! The thought of not winning a single premiership in this period of strength sickens me.