Meh, not worried

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Meh, not worried

I hate losing to Essendon as much as the next Saints fan and it makes my blood boil being labelled 'bitches' to such an ordinary team.

But, I'm not worried about the loss. Essendon wanted this a hell of a lot more than the Saints did. A proud club starved of success for over a decade now and if the NAB Cup lets them believe the glory days are back, let them have it.

Leg speed and a spread of quality goal kickers is still a worry and I can't see this improving too much throughout the year, but, there are positives. Archer was thrown in the deep end and I believe he'll be better off for teeing up against a real opponent, Armitage is hell-bent on proving himself, Lynch wasn't great but neither was a few members of our so called 'fab four' and I believe he'll be pushing for round 1 selection and finally, I have never seen a more poorly umpired game. I bet Bomber supporters are hoping for the same umpires in the grand final. We still would have lost, but Mr Magoo would have umpired better.

In recent weeks, our kids have proven that our depth is better than most perceive, despite what a few fickle commentators say.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Meh, not worried

SydneySainter wrote:I hate losing to Essendon as much as the next Saints fan and it makes my blood boil being labelled 'bitches' to such an ordinary team.

But, I'm not worried about the loss. Essendon wanted this a hell of a lot more than the Saints did. A proud club starved of success for over a decade now and if the NAB Cup lets them believe the glory days are back, let them have it.

Leg speed and a spread of quality goal kickers is still a worry and I can't see this improving too much throughout the year, but, there are positives. Archer was thrown in the deep end and I believe he'll be better off for teeing up against a real opponent, Armitage is hell-bent on proving himself, Lynch wasn't great but neither was a few members of our so called 'fab four' and I believe he'll be pushing for round 1 selection and finally, I have never seen a more poorly umpired game. I bet Bomber supporters are hoping for the same umpires in the grand final. We still would have lost, but Mr Magoo would have umpired better.

In recent weeks, our kids have proven that our depth is better than most perceive, despite what a few fickle commentators say.
Our depth was a bit exposed last night. After a few of our good players like Hayes , Roo, BJ, Dal,Fisher,Joey, Gilbert,Milne it starts to drop off dramatically.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Didn't worry me last night, the vibe I was getting from the club is that winning this game was a low priority, hell even just heard that the game is being played on a Friday night next week, when it is nearly always a Saturday night.
Looking forward to round 3, Essendon have revelaed a lot of their gameplan, we haven't.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote: Looking forward to round 3, Essendon have revelaed a lot of their gameplan, we haven't.
Essendon have had the same gameplan against us for the last 3 or 4 years. There weren't any surprise tactics on Friday night. Just too good on the night.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Didn't worry me last night, the vibe I was getting from the club is that winning this game was a low priority, hell even just heard that the game is being played on a Friday night next week, when it is nearly always a Saturday night.
Looking forward to round 3, Essendon have revelaed a lot of their gameplan, we haven't.

everyone knows their game-plan against us. play on at all costs and back ur pace.

its worked the last 4 times. dont see what will be different come round 3.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I suppose no surprise this thread unfortunately doesn't recieve the attention it deserves?

IMO, the key point was the early interview with Lyon where he said they'd come in with a plan involving where to give players minutes, and wouldn't vary it if they were 50 up, down, or drawn. Well, it turns out it wasn't a very competitive way to approach Essendon.

I'd be very curious to SEE those time-on-ground numbers, they might actually tell us about what the Saints WERE trying to achieve... because I'm just not sold that there's big concerns to be had from a NAB cup game.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:IMO, the key point was the early interview with Lyon where he said they'd come in with a plan involving where to give players minutes, and wouldn't vary it if they were 50 up, down, or drawn. Well, it turns out it wasn't a very competitive way to approach Essendon.

I'd be very curious to SEE those time-on-ground numbers, they might actually tell us about what the Saints WERE trying to achieve... because I'm just not sold that there's big concerns to be had from a NAB cup game.
It was all about getting game time into players.

The result was secondary.

Swans had the same philosophy when Ross was there.

And if you read Misson's book The Bubble, it will reveal how scientific the Saints are in approaching pre-season games.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

GrumpyOne wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:IMO, the key point was the early interview with Lyon where he said they'd come in with a plan involving where to give players minutes, and wouldn't vary it if they were 50 up, down, or drawn. Well, it turns out it wasn't a very competitive way to approach Essendon.

And if you read Misson's book The Bubble, it will reveal how scientific the Saints are in approaching pre-season games.
I've only flipped the first chapter (should I read the rest? I'm curious, but don't read a lot of sports books these days other than the prospectus)... enough to see the Swans couldn't get out fast enough so they could get on with their program instead of the extended sales pitch the AFL puts on with NAB cup.

It's not a huge stretch that the only reason the Saints were still around for that game was:

1) They couldn' manage to lose to Brisbane and Essendon in the opening round.
2) The Cats were keener to get out of the NAB cup than the Saints.

It's not a short bow to draw, but at least as worthy of consideration as the theories being trotted out by mssrs Lane, Walls and Lloyd on Friday night.

- Henry Ford
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

I've only flipped the first chapter (should I read the rest? I'm curious, but don't read a lot of sports books these days other than the prospectus)... enough to see the Swans couldn't get out fast enough so they could get on with their program instead of the extended sales pitch the AFL puts on with NAB cup.

It's not a huge stretch that the only reason the Saints were still around for that game was:

1) They couldn' manage to lose to Brisbane and Essendon in the opening round.
2) The Cats were keener to get out of the NAB cup than the Saints.

It's not a short bow to draw, but at least as worthy of consideration as the theories being trotted out by mssrs Lane, Walls and Lloyd on Friday night.
Fascinating read Bam.

Never realised how scientific player preparation was.

Players never like to lose, so they would have tried, hence the wins so far.

However as far as the coaching staff are concerned, NAB cup games are practice matches.

Mr X from the West
Club Player

So easy to gloss over some real problems.

Well, two problems anyway.....Dempster and Peake. If these two make our best 22 then we are in deep poo. They basically don't have any skills. Let's put it simply... they can't play football. There are school boy footballers out there who would towell them up any day.

So let's not gild the lilly here.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

Mr X from the West wrote:So easy to gloss over some real problems.

Well, two problems anyway.....Dempster and Peake. If these two make our best 22 then we are in deep poo. They basically don't have any skills. Let's put it simply... they can't play football. There are school boy footballers out there who would towell them up any day.

No need to napalm it either.

Dempster knows his role in the team and plays it well.

Peake has his skill problems, but is there to address our lack of pace.

As for being "towelled up by schoolboy footballers", I think you are letting your rhetoric run on a very long leash.

Mr X from the West
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:

As for being "towelled up by schoolboy footballers", I think you are letting your rhetoric run on a very long leash.
So what is Dempster's role? To not make contests in a marking duel? To let his man constantly lead him to the ball?

As for Peake - if we want speed, recruit Matt Shirvington. It's pointless having speed if you can't win the ball. And when it's fed to him, he then turns it over constantly by foot.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

Mr X from the West wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

So what is Dempster's role? To not make contests in a marking duel? To let his man constantly lead him to the ball?

As for Peake - if we want speed, recruit Matt Shirvington. It's pointless having speed if you can't win the ball. And when it's fed to him, he then turns it over constantly by foot.
Dempster is a tagger for the larger size forwards, and Shirvo won't fit in the shorts.

Mr X from the West
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

Dempster is a tagger for the larger size forwards, and Shirvo won't fit in the shorts.
I'd like to be more positive about these guys but it seems to me when we leak goals in matches it's the same (couple of) guys very week who are responsible.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

I'd like to be more positive about these guys but it seems to me when we leak goals in matches it's the same (couple of) guys very week who are responsible.
Take your point.

When the Herald Sun had that "Pick your best 22" interactive, I only found room for Dempster on the interchange bench, and then I felt guilty about that. Peake didn't make the cut.

Ross rates him though.

shmic_s
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote: Take your point.

When the Herald Sun had that "Pick your best 22" interactive, I only found room for Dempster on the interchange bench, and then I felt guilty about that. Peake didn't make the cut.

Ross rates him though.
I'd have one of only Bakes or Dempster in the side.
And only two of Peake, Gram and Raph.
For me, that means Peake misses out. And Dempster/Bakes is a horses for courses situation.

Country Kid
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

Take your point.

Ross rates him though.

Easy to blame players in the so called 'bottom six' but the loss on Friday night was due to many factors none the least was our inability to score and being thrashed in the midfirld and at stoppages. Dempster in last years finals was one our of more consistant players only 'leaking' about 6 goals in four finals playing on Johnson (Geelongs leading goal kicker), Gia (Dogs 2nd highest g/kicker) & Didak (leading g/kicker). Not bad for a non-footballer.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

anyone actually consider the saints didnt want to win?
for little reasons like

1. fisher injury looked major
2. they want a chance to trial new interchange rules.. and waiting to semis means 1 average ground to travel too... that they can use clubs lower end players to experiment with?
3. they didnt want the hype of a saints collingwood match???

all along ross was saying most players in senior side will only play 2 games...

ahem roo hayes gilbert etc

dont read into it honestly...... losing the game was winning for prep in round 1...

normally there arent major rules to learn... this year there is

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

wasaintsfan wrote:anyone actually consider the saints didnt want to win?
for little reasons like

1. fisher injury looked major
2. they want a chance to trial new interchange rules.. and waiting to semis means 1 average ground to travel too... that they can use clubs lower end players to experiment with?
3. they didnt want the hype of a saints collingwood match???

all along ross was saying most players in senior side will only play 2 games...

ahem roo hayes gilbert etc

dont read into it honestly...... losing the game was winning for prep in round 1...

normally there arent major rules to learn... this year there is
Not for one moment do i think they wanted to lose.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think our team was in good form when Essendon beat us last year, then they exposed our slow midfield.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

It's about 12 months to the day that I awoke from a nightmare that Collingwood ran all over us to win the 2010 GF...of course, remembering that we crushed them like flabby grapes during the 2009 finals series, I laughed off such a silly notion that the Pies would even make a GF, let alone beat us.

Last night, I had a dream that Essendon ran rings around us to win the 2011 GF.

Eek.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

degruch wrote:It's about 12 months to the day that I awoke from a nightmare that Collingwood ran all over us to win the 2010 GF...of course, remembering that we crushed them like flabby grapes during the 2009 finals series, I laughed off such a silly notion that the Pies would even make a GF, let alone beat us.

Last night, I had a dream that Essendon ran rings around us to win the 2011 GF.

Eek.
That dream has more history on it's side than the NAB cup game did.

In last year's NAB, we lost in the final to the Western Bulldogs. Barry Hall stomped on Dawson, the media declared the Dogs the prohibitive favorites, and our defensive dominance was set for a slide... in the end, they probably came about as close to justifying their NAB hype as anyone ever does...

On the other hand, your dream came true.

degruch, please lay off spicey food in March. Not so much for the Saints, but otherwise those sportsbet people will send their goons after you.

- Henry Ford
degruch
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:degruch, please lay off spicey food in March. Not so much for the Saints, but otherwise those sportsbet people will send their goons after you.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

If only I'd layed off the pies last March!