Tom Lynch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Art Vandelay
Club Player

Tom Lynch

Where is Tom Lynch at? I know he has been injured during most of his time at the Saints, but I am concerned about whether he will make it as senior player. A first round draft pick who was recovering from a knee reconstruction so I can understand the Saints being patient, but it seemed that even when we were searching for another forward option, he was overlooked by Ros Lyon. I remember seeing him play in one pre-season match and he was quite impressive. Did anyone see him play at Sandringham this year, and if so, what were your impressions? Will he make it?

St Lenny
Club Player

Lets hope that Paul Hudson can do more with him than Danny Sexton or it might be his last year

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:Lets hope that Paul Hudson can do more with him than Danny Sexton or it might be his last year
What makes you think that?

Art, Bernard Shakey has made reference on here a couple of times recently that he will be very good player for the Saints, just had something health wise that needed attention this year.

Looking forward to seeing him in the NAB cup again, and pushing for selection in 2011.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I think he will make it. Blue chip forward though which makes me think me might continue playing back a bit more this year. Don't see the flair sometimes needed to break forward.

Gets a bit of it. Might just be undersized for a kkp role.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Patience people!

Tom will be a beauty & will be another of the young players that supporters are happy to write off before become regular senior players

We are well set with talented youngsters considering the late draft selections that we have had for the last 7 seasons.

I'm as shattered about the last 2 seasons as anyone but all of this 'the sky is falling' henny penny rubbish is wearing thin.

This draft is a strong one & having a pick in the late 20's will still be a chance at getting a very good young player. There will also be a number of gems in the later rounds as well. Remember that this is virtually a draft & a half as 6 months worth of kids from last year are available in this year's draft.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

the reality is that he has to do an apprenticeship.

Saint4Eva
Club Player

ChicagoSaint wrote:the reality is that he has to do an apprenticeship.
is that you Ross??

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Saint4Eva wrote:
ChicagoSaint wrote:the reality is that he has to do an apprenticeship.
is that you Ross??
:lol: oops sorry. no. that sounded bad didn't it :(

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Deserves time, would like to see significant improvement from him and Heyne in 2011.

They should realise that they have the chance to win a premiership here and now, and they could make the difference.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

The kid can play, will be in our top 10 players within a couple of years. Ok, that just came out of my u know what you I honestly reckon he will come good for sure!

He played one match and that was by far the worst of the season for everyone out there (not just him) - bar maybe one or two cameos.

I really rate him I reckon he has a good footy brain from the little bits I've seen of him. I thought this thread was about the other Tom Lynch, who looks to be a good player but will probably be gone in this draft before we get to a selection.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

There's another Tom Lynch?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

ChicagoSaint wrote:There's another Tom Lynch?
Believe so, did he play for Stingrays this year? From all reports, his stocks have risen as the year has gone on and now expected to be picked up reasonably high in the draft. I could be wrong though....

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

St Ick wrote:
Believe so, did he play for Stingrays this year? From all reports, his stocks have risen as the year has gone on and now expected to be picked up reasonably high in the draft. I could be wrong though....
You are correct.

avid
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:Patience people!

Tom will be a beauty & will be another of the young players that supporters are happy to write off before become regular senior players

We are well set with talented youngsters considering the late draft selections that we have had for the last 7 seasons.

I'm as shattered about the last 2 seasons as anyone but all of this 'the sky is falling' henny penny rubbish is wearing thin.

This draft is a strong one & having a pick in the late 20's will still be a chance at getting a very good young player. There will also be a number of gems in the later rounds as well. Remember that this is virtually a draft & a half as 6 months worth of kids from last year are available in this year's draft.
It's a pleasure -- and quite a rare one these days -- to read a serious and optimistic analysis like this.
Thanks. Hope you're right

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

#1GILL wrote:
St Ick wrote:
You are correct.
fair dinkum eh. fancy that.

rexy
SS Life Member

I too have faith in tom Lynch, think he will be a good cross between marking forward and forward preassure player. In 2 years time I think a forward line containing Reiwoldt Lynch Walsh could be very hard to handle.

Maybe this year?
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I don't think Tom had much of a pre-season last summer because of hand? and other? injuries. Let's hope he gets a full pre-season in this year !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Why wouldn't he make it?
He was recruited to make it.
He has the right attitude and physique.
Clearly in time, he'll make it.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Ryan O'Keefe took about five seasons to make an impact as a medium forward. As others have said above, Lynch appears to have the right attitude and is a recognised leader (captain of Vic Metro) so can't really see why anyone would be questioning his ability to 'make it' at this early stage of his career. Give him time.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:Ryan O'Keefe took about five seasons to make an impact as a medium forward. As others have said above, Lynch appears to have the right attitude and is a recognised leader (captain of Vic Metro) so can't really see why anyone would be questioning his ability to 'make it' at this early stage of his career. Give him time.
won't 2011 be his third year and in the past two years he played 1 gaem, and did lousy in that one game.

just thought i would remind people of that. I have no idea whether he will go well or not. but so far not so good.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
SaintBot wrote:Ryan O'Keefe took about five seasons to make an impact as a medium forward. As others have said above, Lynch appears to have the right attitude and is a recognised leader (captain of Vic Metro) so can't really see why anyone would be questioning his ability to 'make it' at this early stage of his career. Give him time.
won't 2011 be his third year and in the past two years he played 1 gaem, and did lousy in that one game.

just thought i would remind people of that. I have no idea whether he will go well or not. but so far not so good.
Good grief you can be a truly glass half empty person sometimes

His one game was an appalling mismatch against one of the premier defenders of the last 15 years. ONE GAME!!!! SO far not so good??..pffft

How would you like to be judged like that after one day at a new job?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:

As I recall he looked quite lively in one of the NAB Cup games at the start of the year.

I know that's not a "real" game but a couple of cameos by Rhys in the same comp seems sufficient for some posters to annoint him as the next big thing.

Let's not be too hasty with these guys. Jack Watts, taken at #1 in the same draft as Tom is taking his time to prove his worth and it has been a lot easier for him to try to break into the Dees side than for Tom to break into a very successful side.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
saintly wrote:

Good grief you can be a truly glass half empty person sometimes

His one game was an appalling mismatch against one of the premier defenders of the last 15 years. ONE GAME!!!! SO far not so good??..pffft

How would you like to be judged like that after one day at a new job?
on occasion i can be and the grand final replay was really dissapointed

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

The ROK comparison is a good one. Obviously if he turned out near as good as him it would be a massive win, but he has ROK's look.

Think he'll make it,was very promising last year in the 2's. Looked too smart for them. Seemed to struggle this year,interupted pre season and season with injuries will do that to a kid.
Remember Gilbert's 07 season,where he had future gun written all over him. Only to have a few set backs in 08 with injuries,and then he looked like a complete spud. Has a full preseason 4-5 months later and 09 go's near elite.

There was enough promise in Lynch's 09 season to suggest he can still be a player. Won't want another 2010 though...

Bring back the Lockett era
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

A player who has no real flaws in his game, but has no obvious defining characteristic. Pretty solid at most aspects of footy. Will probably never be a star to build your team around, but has the ability to be a solid contributor for 100+ games in Saints colours. Ideally, his role should be played as a high HFF, pushing up into the middle when required, in the Steve Johnson mould (although not as mercurial). Patience is the key, 2011 should be his year to break into the seniors consistently!

The Saints are coming!