Are you lot still happy with a Grand Final Replay??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Are you lot still happy with a Grand Final Replay??

I went off after the Grand Final draw that no extra time was played on the day, and half of you lot loved the tradition of a Grand Final Replay.

Well are you happy now?

Sure, we were not to know that we'd run out of legs, and effectively the Replay was shot before it had started.

I'm not saying that with extra time in the Grand Final we would've won, but at least the coach and fitness gurus could've prepared the players safe in the knowledge they wouldn't have to come up the following week.

Discuss :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

I'm still for the replay, unique part of our unique game.

Extra time means you are finding the best team in 10 minutes of football.
Another game means you are finding the best side over an entire match.

If we were good enough, we would have backed up the following week. Another week is more physically and mentally demanding than an extra 10 minutes, and Collingwood were the better team in both aspects.

Keep it, don't change OUR game.

They walk amongst us...

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Most unhappy with a replay, but it will never change, as money talks.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Get rid of it. Typical, a stupid 150 year old rule pops up and bites us on the arse. :roll:

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Whether we are happy with it or not is irrelevant as I believe the AFL will change the rule to have the GF decided by extra time.

The replay rule was fine with two Melbourne based clubs but if it was a Melbourne club v a Perth club then the Perth club would feel, quite rightly, disadvantaged by the travel aspect.

In 2012 we will have 9 non-Victorian clubs in the competition and the AFL will need to ensure the competition is perceived to be fair for all teams...in fact we all know that the interstate clubs tend to get preferential treatment. The GF replay will go for that reason.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:In 2012 we will have 9 non-Victorian clubs.
Are you including Geelong there?

They walk amongst us...

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:I'm still for the replay, unique part of our unique game.

If we were good enough, we would have backed up the following week. Another week is more physically and mentally demanding than an extra 10 minutes, and Collingwood were the better team in both aspects.

Sadly I agree.

3 times in our games history. It's not as if it's popping up every 5 yrs.

I think our efforts in the first one (ie: not leaving anything in the tank) killed our dash the following week.

For a result going our way - yes, overtime! We would have won it! But......

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

I thought it was a unique part of the game and should stay. However, changed my mind mid way through last week as the build up to the 2nd GF just wasn't there. Did not even feel like a GF on the day. Was missing something. Also, both teams are now 2 weeks behind all the other teams in preparations for next year.

Definite back flip from me. Extra time on the day now.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:Whether we are happy with it or not is irrelevant as I believe the AFL will change the rule to have the GF decided by extra time.

The replay rule was fine with two Melbourne based clubs but if it was a Melbourne club v a Perth club then the Perth club would feel, quite rightly, disadvantaged by the travel aspect.

In 2012 we will have 9 non-Victorian clubs in the competition and the AFL will need to ensure the competition is perceived to be fair for all teams...in fact we all know that the interstate clubs tend to get preferential treatment. The GF replay will go for that reason.
Fair point, also it was discussed in the media that if you had two interstate teams in a GF Replay, that there would be quite a small crowd the second time around.

How many neutral MCC and AFL members would bother showing up at GF Replay involving two interstaters?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:How many neutral MCC and AFL members would bother showing up at GF Replay involving two interstaters?
If I didn't have to pay full price, sure!

They walk amongst us...

Beej
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:I'm still for the replay, unique part of our unique game.

Agreed.

St Lenny
Club Player

Totally against a replay. What about all the people who have to travel, alot from overseas. Also there was no atmosphere in Melb, you would never have known it was GF day. No entertainment in Fed Square, all the banners taken down. I'm sure the AFL would have had some money they could have put towards it.

St Michele
Club Player

Re: Are you lot still happy with a Grand Final Replay??

saintspremiers wrote:I went off after the Grand Final draw that no extra time was played on the day, and half of you lot loved the tradition of a Grand Final Replay.

Well are you happy now?

Sure, we were not to know that we'd run out of legs, and effectively the Replay was shot before it had started.

I'm not saying that with extra time in the Grand Final we would've won, but at least the coach and fitness gurus could've prepared the players safe in the knowledge they wouldn't have to come up the following week.

No I think it is an archaic system set up for the VFL. It might be fine when only victorian teams play but when you have interstate teams can you imagine to fallout if it had have been Sydney/ Eagles?

The other thing that needs to be concidred is the huge amount of people who come from interstate to see the Grand Final/. I know of people who cam back forthe second game and all up they would have paid over $5000 it is wrong and needs to be changed.

That said Adrian Anderson was asked this question on radio here in Perth, his response was we have looked at it and that is how it will stay.When questioned about howe it would impact interstate teams his response was' they would just have to stay in Melbourne for the extra week'. Not good enough AFL if you want to money from a national game you need to consider the other states teams and supporters.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

St Michele wrote:When questioned about howe it would impact interstate teams his response was' they would just have to stay in Melbourne for the extra week'. Not good enough AFL if you want to money from a national game you need to consider the other states teams and supporters.
Not to get too perochial (being a Western Australian born, Victorian raised, South Australian), but as long as it's a Victorian 'power team' boys club at the top, it will probably stay that way...additionally, it won't be an issue until it happens (2 x interstate GF), which, going by averages is in about 50 years.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 19 Oct 2010 11:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:In 2012 we will have 9 non-Victorian clubs.
Are you including Geelong there?
Oops...My bad...
although they would be in the "non-melbourne" conference if I had my way!

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

I love the replay - I just hated this one :cry:

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
bozza1980
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:I went off after the Grand Final draw that no extra time was played on the day, and half of you lot loved the tradition of a Grand Final Replay.

Well are you happy now?

As a St Kilda supporter having sat through our flogging in the replay ofcourse I'm not happy.

But do I think the replay is fair, yes I do, I think it is the fairest way to break the tie break.

The two best sides of the season fought to the bitter death and couldn't be seperated, they went away came back and the better team won.

Extra time would have decided who finished the draw better not necessarily the better team.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:Extra time would have decided who finished the draw better not necessarily the better team.
Hmmm...me thinks the opposite. I've no doubt we would have run all over Collingwood with extra time, we prepared for the game much better. Do you believe Collingwood's draw was harder than St Kilda's?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
bozza1980 wrote:Extra time would have decided who finished the draw better not necessarily the better team.
You could say that about any game. It's non sensical

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

degruch wrote:
Hmmm...me thinks the opposite. I've no doubt we would have run all over Collingwood with extra time, we prepared for the game much better. Do you believe Collingwood's draw was harder than St Kilda's?
Do you believe that Collingwood's draw is harder than any of the teams in the AFL, let alone St Kilda?

Gotta love that level playing field.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
bozza1980
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
degruch wrote:
You could say that about any game. It's non sensical
No you can't say that about any game.

I think you are comparing the following two scenarios and calling them the same

A game played over 4 qtrs of 20 minutes plus time on whereby one team finishes strongly and wins

A game played over 4 qtrs of 20 minutes plus time on whereby one team finishes strongly to force a draw, it is then decided to play a further 10 minutes.

Forgive me for being "Non-Sensical" when I think they are different!!!!

The premiership should not be decided by 10 minutes of manufactured time. How completely loopy of me to think this way.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote: The premiership should not be decided by 10 minutes of manufactured time.

They walk amongst us...

bozza1980
Club Player

degruch wrote:
There is no doubt in my mind that had the GF gone into extra time we would have won the flag.

It's just my personal view that when two sides slug it out for 100 minutes and can't be separated the fairest tie break is to play the game again rather than decide the premiership by 10 minutes of manufactured time.

That said there are strong arguments the other way.

SinCitySaint
Club Player

The problem is on Grand final day the rule for the players is leave nothing out on the field. In that second half we played with a reckless physical abandon which nearly got us over the line. Unfortunately, it was not to be. However because of that approach to the game we just had no way of coming back the following week.
I think extra time would be preferable as I think anything would be preferable to how flat I felt during the week between the games. I never felt excited about the 2nd game at all even when sitting there in M3 I could not get excited.
However, the AFL will not change as it made an absolute fortune on the replay. An extra 94K people all paying an average of about $200+ for a ticket, the extra television revenue etc.... It is a complete no brainer for the AFL.