BALL(S)!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Leo.J
SS Life Member

He wanted more money...

And once he made it clear he wanted to go to Collingwood all deals were off, because they knew he'd get there via the PSD because no one else was willing to use up $500,000 in their salary cap.

Luke Ball can go and get F***ed, he sold his soul, and got what he wanted, but afaic he's a filth player, his years at the Saints mean nothing to me...FILTHY TRAITOR.

Saint Mik
Club Player

Re: BALL(S)!

Moods wrote:
Saint Mik wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
Sainternist wrote:This morning I went for an appointment with the physio and saw Luke Ball in the carpark.

I wanted to spit in the cheap, lousy, SOB's face and call him every name in the book. Then it occurred to me that that would only be the type of act of a Filth fan and I can never find it within myself to sink to that type of level.

Instead, my heart just sunk as I walked past him, seeing him being congratulated by some fine looking broads.

Sometimes it sucks to be a Sainter :(
maybe you could have just asked quietly- why did you really leave the saints Luke- when everyone says you didn't want to and you were offered a contract?
He looked right at me in the gf parade as I was screaming "your a traitor" "shove your money up your arsze" and I hope you snap in half during the game" his head dropped and now I feel sick knowing he has that FARKING medal.

Geez I loved him and now I almost spew at the thought of him he is scum and a filthy one.
I really thought you were going to finish that sentence with - 'and now I feel sick at how childishly I behaved - screaming that at a grown man, who has never done anything wrong to me or my family. All he did was make a decision about his footy career that I disagreed with.'

I lost a lot of respect for Luke Ball the way he left the saints. Over the course of the year though, and particularly the way he handled himself on GF day and after, I regained a lot of that respect.
Mate you are right about my spray but hey I just let it out and I meant it, the way we looked after him with the contracts and captaincy when he was moving like a 80 year old man, then to just walk away when it was his turn to repay the faith just cuts me up, ALL others drafted to the club have stuck to the task and they like myself are part of the Saints family so yes it hurts ALOT.

Some can stick up for him, but just remember he was the one that turned his back on US and yesterday said it felt good to get that medal against US (feels extra special was the words) to the Filth family he is now part of.

F*** HIM

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
devil saint
Club Player

Re: BALL(S)!

Saint Mik wrote:
Moods wrote:
Saint Mik wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
Sainternist wrote:This morning I went for an appointment with the physio and saw Luke Ball in the carpark.

I wanted to spit in the cheap, lousy, SOB's face and call him every name in the book. Then it occurred to me that that would only be the type of act of a Filth fan and I can never find it within myself to sink to that type of level.

Instead, my heart just sunk as I walked past him, seeing him being congratulated by some fine looking broads.

Sometimes it sucks to be a Sainter :(
maybe you could have just asked quietly- why did you really leave the saints Luke- when everyone says you didn't want to and you were offered a contract?
He looked right at me in the gf parade as I was screaming "your a traitor" "shove your money up your arsze" and I hope you snap in half during the game" his head dropped and now I feel sick knowing he has that FARKING medal.

Geez I loved him and now I almost spew at the thought of him he is scum and a filthy one.
I really thought you were going to finish that sentence with - 'and now I feel sick at how childishly I behaved - screaming that at a grown man, who has never done anything wrong to me or my family. All he did was make a decision about his footy career that I disagreed with.'

I lost a lot of respect for Luke Ball the way he left the saints. Over the course of the year though, and particularly the way he handled himself on GF day and after, I regained a lot of that respect.
Mate you are right about my spray but hey I just let it out and I meant it, the way we looked after him with the contracts and captaincy when he was moving like a 80 year old man, then to just walk away when it was his turn to repay the faith just cuts me up, ALL others drafted to the club have stuck to the task and they like myself are part of the Saints family so yes it hurts ALOT.

Some can stick up for him, but just remember he was the one that turned his back on US and yesterday said it felt good to get that medal against US (feels extra special was the words) to the Filth family he is now part of.

F*** HIM
Well I hope you never bag opposition supporters. That's the most bogan, feral thing I have ever heard from a supporter. You are disgraceful!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

How did changing jumpers change him from near crippled to above average in the space of a year?

Was he not trying at St K?

For all the talk that's the bit I don't get...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:How did changing jumpers change him from near crippled to above average in the space of a year?

Was he not trying at St K?

For all the talk that's the bit I don't get...
Not sure, good question...high altitude training? :wink:

saintnick12
Club Player

On ON THE COUCH tonight they were discussing him, one of them (I think Mike) said " HE never wanted to leave St Kilda", and the other two just agreed. That it still the precieved view of the football media. Gerard and James Hird are not the types to just go along with things, but they agreed with Mike. Just found that interesting.
There's is more to this story that I think we will have to wait until retirement till the real story comes out.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:On ON THE COUCH tonight they were discussing him, one of them (I think Mike) said " HE never wanted to leave St Kilda", and the other two just agreed. That it still the precieved view of the football media. Gerard and James Hird are not the types to just go along with things, but they agreed with Mike. Just found that interesting.
There's is more to this story that I think we will have to wait until retirement till the real story comes out.
Well I want to know, people ask me and I defend the club, but should I?

Have I mentioned I want to know? :?

saintnick12
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:On ON THE COUCH tonight they were discussing him, one of them (I think Mike) said " HE never wanted to leave St Kilda", and the other two just agreed. That it still the precieved view of the football media. Gerard and James Hird are not the types to just go along with things, but they agreed with Mike. Just found that interesting.
Well I want to know, people ask me and I defend the club, but should I?

Have I mentioned I want to know? :?
When you find out, make sure you tell me :wink:

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Gerard has a bit to do with Ball. Jobe Watson, who has a bit to do with Hird, is also good friends with Ball.

They would know. Word goes through footy circles pretty quickly.

It was obvious to all and sundry Ball didn't want to leave but felt he had to because he lost the support of the coach.

The only people in Australia who believe otherwise post on this site.

BTW saintnick, how was OTC? I've recorded it but I'm not sure I want to see it. Was it difficult to watch?
Last edited by Beej on Mon 04 Oct 2010 11:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:He wanted more money...

And once he made it clear he wanted to go to Collingwood all deals were off, because they knew he'd get there via the PSD because no one else was willing to use up $500,000 in their salary cap.

Luke Ball can go and get F***ed, he sold his soul, and got what he wanted, but afaic he's a filth player, his years at the Saints mean nothing to me...FILTHY TRAITOR.
+1

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:
Gerard has a bit to do with Ball. Jobe Watson, who has a bit to do with Hird, is also good friends with Ball.

It was obvious to all and sundry Ball didn't want to leave but felt he had to because he lost the support of the coach.

BTW saintnick, how was OTC? I've recorded it but I'm not sure I want to see it. Was it difficult to watch?
So you know then, could you tell me?

Beej
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Beej wrote:

What would you like to know, K?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Beej wrote:

Is true about the team meeting, Ball calling Lyon out for an error in front of everyone, and this is why he was dropped?

When did Collingwood approach him?

He was tried as a tagger (quite effectively) in 2007, also as a defensive forward last year, then as a burst player....was he really dissatisfied with all of those roles.

Why didn't he try to fit in, rather than find a fit elsewhere?

AlpineStars
Club Player

I just think it was stupid letting him go to Collingwood who were always going to be a premiership contender this year, we should have worked harder to send him to the Dees or Tigers.

Wake me up when September ends.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Beej wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Beej wrote:

Is true about the team meeting, Ball calling Lyon out for an error in front of everyone, and this is why he was dropped?

When did Collingwood approach him?

He was tried as a tagger (quite effectively) in 2007, also as a defensive forward last year, then as a burst player....was he really dissatisfied with all of those roles.

Why didn't he try to fit in, rather than find a fit elsewhere?
Not sure if it's true but I wouldn't totally discredit it because there was clearly tension between the two.

Whatever happened, Ball realised at some stage that the writing was on the wall and there was no coming back from it.

He was getting dropped for the likes of Eddy and Armitage. He was in a battle with Rob Eddy for the final spot in the GF 22.

Ball was clearly a lot better than that yet the word coming from the club was that he had to go back and work on parts of his game that they weren't happy with.

Either there was a falling out somewhere along the line or Lyon simply just didn't rate Ball which is unfathomable to me.

Ball gets his spot in a GF, starts on the field, runs down a Cat to win a FK in the first 10 seconds, is playing footy like his life depended on it, is almost BOG till half-time and then inexplicably is no longer part of the rotation and plays only a couple of minutes in the second half.

Why Ball hardly played that second half will always remain a mystery. According to Lyon at the time, the timing of the rotations were planned before the game so apparently Ball, however well he might have been playing, was never going to play much of the second half. Strange.

If the message wasn't clear to him that Lyon no longer saw him as a key member of the list but only as a bit-part player, it certainly was after the GF.

He would've known that if he stayed he was selling himself short and he had way too much pride for that.

The only reason why he was offered that contract mid-season was to ensure he couldn't leave for nothing. He knew if he signed it the club held all the cards and could determine his future so he refused. He was being used.

For a player of his character and his standing at the club, he was treated like sh1t IMO.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Beej,
I realize tha Luke Ball was/is a hero to you so I read your posts on this topic in that light.
But boy, have you managed to try and make the facts fit the version you're comfortable with.

It obviously helps you to believe that in this instance Ball was 'white anted' by Lyon and 'forced out' of the Club he desparately wanted to stay with.
Fine, believe what you want to.
BUT just becasue you don't like the alternate view doesn't make that view incorrect.

Maybe if you get a chance you should ask his former teammates what they know/think of what happened?
On reflection, maybe you shouldn't do that - it might shatter some of your illusions.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Beej,
I realize tha Luke Ball was/is a hero to you so I read your posts on this topic in that light.
But boy, have you managed to try and make the facts fit the version you're comfortable with.

It obviously helps you to believe that in this instance Ball was 'white anted' by Lyon and 'forced out' of the Club he desparately wanted to stay with.
BUT just becasue you don't like the alternate view doesn't make that view incorrect.

Maybe if you get a chance you should ask his former teammates what they know/think of what happened?
On reflection, maybe you shouldn't do that - it might shatter some of your illusions.
PRECISELY!

Ball is a mercenary!

Thomas put Ball on $600,000 a year :shock: :roll: :arrow: FFS

More money than Hayes and Goddard :shock: :roll: :arrow: FFS

That's where the problem started, Ball should never have been on $600,000 to start with!

Another fine mess Thomas got us into!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Hird knows it, Healy knows it, Sheahan knows it, Thomas knows it, the entire footy public knows it with the exception of one-eyed St Kilda supporters who choose to believe he's a traitor because it eases their mind thinking that we had absolutely no chance of keeping Ball.

It's a flat-out lie but that's OK though, you can't be a real supporter if you're not one-eyed, eh?

The only people that I know of who believe he wanted to leave the club, because of money no less, are St Kilda supporters who post on this forum.
Last edited by Beej on Tue 05 Oct 2010 9:22am, edited 1 time in total.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Malthouse was on SEN this morning saying Sheady was the worst at trades because his trading style meant he never gave anything away lest it improve others lists. That the pies trading was a win win for the pies and the other teams.

He is becoming so f$#@ing full of it I want to punch him.

Collingwood stuffed us around on Ball because they knew he'd walk if the deal didn't get done.We sounded out a trade for Goldsack, the Pies didn't want to let him go, Wellingham was offered to North as part of the trade deal to get Everett. We couldn't have got Wellingham with our pick or swap him, the Pies played dirty on Ball and won.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:

Hird knows it, Healy knows it, Sheahan knows it, Thomas knows it, the entire footy public knows it with the exception of one-eyed St Kilda supporters who choose to believe he's a traitor because it eases their mind thinking that we had absolutely no chance of keeping Ball.

It's a flat-out lie but that's OK though, you can't be a real supporter if you're not one-eyed, eh?

The only people who believe he wanted to leave the club, because of money no less, are St Kilda supporters who post on this forum.
I've changed my mind - you should ask some players becasue you need to get a reality check.

IMO, money was the driving force for him leaving. The chronology tells me/you everything you need/want to know about this.
His management (of course he knew nothing about it :roll: ) were dealing/negotiating with Collingwood for weeks/months before the GF. Did they already know what was going to happen in the GF?

And I've never called him a traitor - get it right.
My only criticism has and will always be him allowing his 'camp' to make the derogatory remarks they did.

But in the end, I know you won't bother to ask because you're not really interested in finding out the truth- it might force you to view this whole sorry saga in a different light.
And I accept that.
But I won't stop putting the alternate out there so that posters might understand that there is another credible version of events to the 'urban myth' they're being asked to swalllow hook, line and sinker.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Beej wrote:Hird knows it, Healy knows it, Sheahan knows it, Thomas knows it, the entire footy public knows it with the exception of one-eyed St Kilda supporters who choose to believe he's a traitor because it eases their mind thinking that we had absolutely no chance of keeping Ball.

The only people who believe he wanted to leave the club, because of money no less, are St Kilda supporters who post on this forum.
Sheahan's contempt for St Kilda is obvious.

What I don't get, is why Ball was offered a 3-year deal if he was being white-anted by Lyon?

$360kpa is a lot to pay a player you're only going to use in your VFL affiliate.

Anyone remember the story about the players' calendar at the Saints' pre-season function up in Queensland?

Maybe the people on this forum don't buy the media-driven line because it doesn't wash!

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Beej wrote:

The only people that I know of who believe he wanted to leave the club, because of money no less, are St Kilda supporters who post on this forum.
Knows what exactly? That Ball left us for a bigger pay packet? Yep, I certainly do know that.

Found it ironic that his parents were claiming 'their hearts are still at St Kilda' when they were the one's that did the most damage last year with their ongoing comments through the media. 'My poor little Lukey'. Where was their 'St Kilda Heart' then?

Also, why were the players so furious with him if it was RL's fault and they didn't get along and RL was picking on poor Luke?

Seriously, there are more holes in the Luke Ball 'whoa is me' story than a sinking ship!!!

However, he is gone and he WON'T be coming back. He can stay at the filth. Time for us to stop mentioning his name as he is irrelevant to us and has been for a good 12 months. We can all appreciate his time with us and thank him for it. However, the time has passed and you need to get behind OUR players, coaching staff and admin, not Collingwood's Luke Ball!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Well, regardless of what happened, this argument has been done to death.

There's nothing we can do about it now.

History will show that Ball joined Collingwood, won a premiership medal, and the two/three blokes he was getting dropped for, while at St Kilda, had absolutely no influence on the GF whatsoever.

That is probably the most important point and the only thing that really matters when it's all said and done.

Saint Mik
Club Player

Beej wrote:

Yep and thats why in the first meeting against the Filth in 2010 Jason Gram stood on the mark when LB was having a kick rubbing his thumb over two fingers as if to say how is the money Luke.

He loves the money and nothing else, we owed him nothing he owed us after looking after him so well thanks to GT.

Team player as long as that team works around Luke and his pay packet.

Luke wont speak to anyone but Collingwood at the draft table now why was that mmmm!!!!! :roll: I can give you $500K reasons why.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

If the media left it alone then maybe we could all move on. But the fact is it serves some parties' agendas to paint Lyon and the club as scapegoats for losing Luke Ball and/or not playing him for long enough in last year's GF and thus costing the Saints a premiership.

Which is utter BALLS.

The fact is Ross Lyon has been far more instrumental in getting us into a premiership playoff in the first place than Luke Ball ever was.

We won't be silent in the face of gutter crawlers in the press and elsewhere trying to rewrite history.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."