Kosi .. where to (topic revisit number 324)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Kosi .. where to (topic revisit number 324)

My concern for this year is Dawson on big bodied forwards. How do you see the match ups vs Brisbane for instance.

Therefore does the future of Kosi lie in the back line taking on the big forwards. Then pinch hitting up forward and in the ruck.

The worry with Kosi has and always will be his speed at leading. And he just doesn't take enough contested marks.

No doubt our future forward is Stanley with pace and clean hands

Does this happen sooner rather than later.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kosi .. where to (topic revisit number 324)

terry smith rules wrote:My concern for this year is Dawson on big bodied forwards. How do you see the match ups vs Brisbane for instance.

Therefore does the future of Kosi lie in the back line taking on the big forwards. Then pinch hitting up forward and in the ruck.

The worry with Kosi has and always will be his speed at leading. And he just doesn't take enough contested marks.

If you reckon Kosi is slow in leading he will even be slower on a player leading in front of him. Kosi will finish as a forward as he is far to slow to play down back. Zac will be ok. He was last year so I dont see why it will be an issue this year.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

You don't play him on leading forwards that is for Zac, you play him on the body to body forwards

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

terry smith rules wrote:You don't play him on leading forwards that is for Zac, you play him on the body to body forwards
You play him at Full Forward and look elsewhere for another defender. IMO.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:You don't play him on leading forwards that is for Zac, you play him on the body to body forwards
And they are who these days apart from Kosi?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Both the players mentioned made inroads to making their respective positions their own last year, I say let the boys at least have a couple of praccy games to find their form...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:My concern for this year is Dawson on big bodied forwards. How do you see the match ups vs Brisbane for instance.

If you reckon Kosi is slow in leading he will even be slower on a player leading in front of him. Kosi will finish as a forward as he is far to slow to play down back. Zac will be ok. He was last year so I dont see why it will be an issue this year.
Agree with this. Kosi may have done well at CHB in his first year however he was a young skinny kid back then. And he may look ok when he heads to the backline occassionally now however that's as a loose man going back which is not actually a position. He is destined to finish his career as a forward/ruck.

And with Zac I reckon he was great last year and will only get better with experience. He'll occassionally get beaten however that applies to all but the true champion full backs and they don't come along too often. As things stand at the moment he is our best option and I don't have any real concerns.

saintlee
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Agree with this. Kosi may have done well at CHB in his first year however he was a young skinny kid back then. And he may look ok when he heads to the backline occassionally now however that's as a loose man going back which is not actually a position. He is destined to finish his career as a forward/ruck.

And with Zac I reckon he was great last year and will only get better with experience. He'll occassionally get beaten however that applies to all but the true champion full backs and they don't come along too often. As things stand at the moment he is our best option and I don't have any real concerns.
The game was a lot slower back when Kosi played at CHB.....he is definitely not fast enough....

Zac is the man, he's still developing, but I have faith in him

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

I think what I was trying to say is that there is room for both as defenders as the needs demand.

As I asked in the op, when we play Brisbane who takes who.

It is all about having a team that you can adapt to the conditions and opposition.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:As I asked in the op, when we play Brisbane who takes who.
Dawson goes to Fevola, Blake goes to Brown. Or they swap. I'm equally happy - about 80% - with either matchup.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

We could play Baker on Fev and there still wouldn't be many one on one contests. There's a reason we play so many tall guys in the backline. If their keys are wrestling for a contested mark, 3rd man comes in and effects a spoil. The gorilla fullback is dead.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:We could play Baker on Fev and there still wouldn't be many one on one contests. There's a reason we play so many tall guys in the backline. If their keys are wrestling for a contested mark, 3rd man comes in and effects a spoil. The gorilla fullback is dead.
ridiculous comment

so Rutten, Glass, Presti, Leppitsh etc won't get games this year

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

terry smith rules wrote:
vacuous space wrote:We could play Baker on Fev and there still wouldn't be many one on one contests. There's a reason we play so many tall guys in the backline. If their keys are wrestling for a contested mark, 3rd man comes in and effects a spoil. The gorilla fullback is dead.
ridiculous comment

Don't really see Leppitsh getting a game personally.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

#1GILL wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
ridiculous comment

Don't really see Leppitsh getting a game personally.
sorry Merrett I meant

vacuous space
SS Life Member

terry smith rules wrote:so Rutten, Glass, Presti, Leppitsh etc won't get games this year
If they can't play on a leading forward, no. The thing is, they all can (bar Leppitsch, who's a coach). They're all quite mobile as well as having size. There isn't a fullback in the league these days who isn't quick as well as big.

Dawson - 195/95
Glass - 192/93
Presti - 193/96
Rutten - 191/99

If those guys are gorillas, then surely Dawson's big enough.

EDIT: Merrett is huge. 196/105.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:so Rutten, Glass, Presti, Leppitsh etc won't get games this year
If they can't play on a leading forward, no. The thing is, they all can (bar Leppitsch, who's a coach). They're all quite mobile as well as having size. There isn't a fullback in the league these days who isn't quick as well as big.

Dawson - 195/95
Glass - 192/93
Presti - 193/96
Rutten - 191/99

If those guys are gorillas, then surely Dawson's big enough.
I agree, Zac is bigger than he looks. We also use the floating backman well, like Fisher, Gilbo, Goddard. The key to our success will be to stifle the opposition's midfield delivery to their forwards and we did that well enough last year to be the most frugal defence in the AFL.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Kosi to CHB = Domination

Make it happen!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The question i want answered this year is "just how good is Kosi"?....

I still haven't formed an opinion but if it takes us too much longer to gauge his worth his career will be over,or he'll be a free agent and move to Carlton.....

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

If there is one aspect that Kosi is poor it is body on body work.
He gets out-bustled every time.

It is why when he is in the forward line if he tries to stop and mark that he will normally get beaten...even by smaller opponents.

Let Kosi stay as a KF..that is his role at present. Sure he can float around...but mainly leave him forward.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 23 Feb 2010 10:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Kosi to CHB = Domination

!
True...but not by Kosi,

Leave him forward.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:The question i want answered this year is "just how good is Kosi"?....

I still haven't formed an opinion but if it takes us too much longer to gauge his worth his career will be over,or he'll be a free agent and move to Carlton.....
Free agency is after the 2012 season, too late for Kosi he'll be retired by then, or playing for Freo.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Wherever he plays he needs to lift and get some energy happening. Maybe he's been having Will Minson's Bonsoy soy milk, which might explain his lethergy.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
HarveysDeciple

All those injuries have slowed Kozi up too much.

Could play on say an Anthony Rocca type gorilla if he went down back, but that's about it.

Most of them would be far to quick/mobile these days.

He is a full forward/occasional ruckmen these days.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

terry smith rules wrote:
ridiculous comment

so Rutten, Glass, Presti, Merrett etc won't get games this year
Those are examples of modern Gorilla fullbacks?

Glass and Presti both built their careers on closing speed (when Glass is in form, watching him blow by the leading forward, mark the ball and start running can be almost comical). Merrett is deceptively quick, and Rutten is one of the best readers of a play going around (probably passed in the last year by Lake in the ability to play the zone while having a direct opponent)... and not slow either.

The gorilla fullback isn't dead because size isn't useful anymore, the gorilla fullback died because the best forwards do it on the lead. The best forwards do it on the lead not because they can't win 1-on-1s, but because defenses are too smart to let 1-on-1 wrestles occur.

If you can't get to full sprint in 3 steps, you can't play fullback in the AFL. The old time gorilla's couldn't do that.

The gorilla fullback is dead.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Kosi is no gorilla anyway...as I have already mentioned in this thread he is actually poor at body on boday contests.

His forte is marking over the top..the power mark....and as mentioned by others this is now more rare. Interesting though that againts the Pies that Stanley took a few.

But there is a place for it as well have Roo on the lead.

However Kosi needs to avoid trying to wrestele fora mark in the forward line like he is want to as he is porr at it.