Two Subi games - still treat with respect

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Two Subi games - still treat with respect

I'm not superstitious and I'm as psyched about the win as the next Saints fan, but still, lets treat these Subi games with the respect they deserve.

Yes, West Coast and Freo are the bottom-of-the-ladder dwellers and yes, we should go into these games as favourites and rightly so - but the last thing we need is to drop what will be regarded as a winnable game at this point in the year.

Regardless of current form, there is no such thing as an easy ride to Perth and in the past has caught out even the worthiest of opponents - ala Geelong! They still won but did they have to dig deep and were gifted by a Pavlich choke shot at goal.

I'm not trying to rain on our own parade - enjoy the win and the hype, about time we got some of both - all I'm trying to say is we beat West Coast last year at Subi, largely because they under-estimated us...

lets not repay them the same favour.

CARN THE SAINTERS!!! :D :D :D

Sobraz
SS Life Member

couldnt agree more...

I'm particularly worried about the Freo game, as im not too sure of WC ambitions for the rest of the year... Freo want to win, just havn't been lately.. Not to sure what the eagles are upto...

Still a difficult roadtrip... A game needed..

Pilgram
Club Player

frankly, WCE do not wish to list this fixture as a win which is good for US.
fremantle are along the same lines although their fixture on the w/end with melb was organised.
these three clubs all want their hands on the youngsters and have an arrangement with the AFL.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Pilgram wrote:frankly, WCE do not wish to list this fixture as a win which is good for US.
fremantle are along the same lines although their fixture on the w/end with melb was organised.
these three clubs all want their hands on the youngsters and have an arrangement with the AFL.
Good sensible post.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Farking AFL and other clubs. They are so intent on wiping out the Saints by any means possible. :roll:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

True.

Always be wary of the subi trip.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Bump.

We should ALWAYS be wary of any match - particuarly interstate.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The competition is so level these days that you have to treat all teams with respect......and interstae games have long beena problem for the Saints.

Hearing Ball interviewd tonight Ball was fired up and focussed on the next match and was well aware of the need to not take it for granted.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

As a saints fan, i never count the points till after the court injunction :lol:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintluke
Club Player

After Melbourne's attitude to the Fremantle game, I couldn't help but feel that they made their loss somewhat worse. Now I know we're not the Dee's, yet we shouldn't head into any game with the attitute that the 4 points are in the bag....

1 Game at a Time
1 Contest at a Time

Thats our best approach to continuing with our sucesses.

rexy
SS Life Member

Must also have respect for the size of Subi and the length of the flight and effect it has on recovery. Should Harvey play both games? Should King have a rest? What about Max?

Maybe this year?
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:As a saints fan, i never count the points till after the court injunction :lol:
Haha, too true.

But seriously, anyone who goes into a match with it already penciled in as a win deserves the embarrassment.

Having said that though St Kilda are in good form and West Coast are tanking, if we don't win this one we will have no excuse.

We have to build upon the foundations that we have layed in the last 4 weeks, while they have all been good wins we still haven't managed four quarters of good footy, hopefully we can pull it off this week...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Pilgram wrote:frankly, WCE do not wish to list this fixture as a win which is good for US. fremantle are along the same lines although their fixture on the w/end with melb was organised. these three clubs all want their hands on the youngsters and have an arrangement with the AFL.
i'm of the school of thought that, while clubs might want to tank it and get some draft picks, players always want to win.

given our history at this ground we should not lessen our intensity even one little bit.

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Very true BigCarl but you will note WCE and others seem to leave their players mysteriously out, players may play in positions they never have before or will again and when certain players are being beaten the coach might not be quite as reactive in making a move...and its hard to play well from your hospital bed or your just retired party.....

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:As a saints fan, i never count the points till after the court injunction :lol:
Gold :D

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Mr X from the West
Club Player

I hope the boys get to train on Subi later this week. Most couch grass is dead over here at the minute (middle of winter) and it looks like it affected the bounce of the ball on the weekend Freo v Melbourne match.

Very different bounce to the Dome which is very hard and the ball bounces differently.

Small point but we all know how the bounce of the ball can affect the outcome of footy games.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"