Mini

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Mini was a good attacking small-mid, with good smarts who had his natural game destroyed by Lyon- I wish him well at his next club.
He destroyed it that much that he only played in 3 GF's in 2 years. Also wasnt this the same guy that they thought 4 years ago wasnt good enough to keep. It seems to me RL made his career, not destroyed it.

Schillaci
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Played some good games. Many poor ones.
Seemed to be a coaches favourite in 2010 .
He did win us that tight game against the bulldogs (in 2010 I think).
Not sure if he could help out with the gc suns. Good luck to him if he makes a go of it.
My sentiments too.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
meher baba wrote:I was sorry to see him "retired" by Lyon on finals night. He always seemed reasonable value to me, although 2010 was a poor season for him. He looked to be getting some form back before he was injured this year.

I wonder whether, if Lyon hadn't already sacked him, the new management might have considered keeping him on
Pretty sure the new management had a lot to do with him going.
If you mean Pelchen, I suppose you're right. But Mini barely played a game since Pelchen came to the club. So how did he develop his opinion of Mini? Through reading Saintsational?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
meher baba wrote:I was sorry to see him "retired" by Lyon on finals night. He always seemed reasonable value to me, although 2010 was a poor season for him. He looked to be getting some form back before he was injured this year.

I wonder whether, if Lyon hadn't already sacked him, the new management might have considered keeping him on
If you mean Pelchen, I suppose you're right. But Mini barely played a game since Pelchen came to the club. So how did he develop his opinion of Mini? Through reading Saintsational?
He seemed to develop an opinion about others who didnt play many either. Mini was always in trouble because of his age and the fact he played only a couple of games this year. All i am saying is Pelchan would have had a lot of influence on him going. Pretty much the same as RL and of course Saintsational. I now understand why Zac is gone but I am confused how Raph is still there.

ando051
Club Player

meher baba wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I did see Pelchen doing his job and watching Sandy later on in the season.

The question that would of been asked about Mini would of been. Is he in our best 22? Most likely not. Will he improve? Most likely not. So we might as well develop a kid for the future.

Ralph is still there because there is no one ready to fill his spot we have stocked up on young midfield/small forwards and forgot about the back line. Cuz of Cuz will fill his spot in the future.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Was very good value in 09 but ultimately having been a dead-eye dick all year he let us down on Grand Final day with a horror miss.

Carried to the 2010 finals, his tackling quality dropped off and he didn't have enough else going for him to keep a size.

Very good user of the footy and from all my interactions with him a good bloke. GC would be silly to pick him up though.

He should go to Port or similar in the VFL.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

One of the main reasons we failed to win the 2009 and 2010 GF's. VFL grade player, no hope of playing another AFL game.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't lyon have him in the leadership group in 2010?
That lyon was one crazy koot...

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:He destroyed it that much that he only played in 3 GF's in 2 years. Also wasnt this the same guy that they thought 4 years ago wasnt good enough to keep. It seems to me RL made his career, not destroyed it.
Given that he came to the club as an under 18 champ, I highly doubt RL had anything to do with making his career. Seems that having got there, the desire left Mini, he's now finding it again, faced with the fact that his career may now be over. He may just be an ordinary AFL player, there are ordinary players on any GF team, so 3 GF's in 2 years doesn't say too much.

Mini, a reasonable defensive forward...unfortunately, going into 2011 is seemed an unfashionable position post-Saints Footy.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:He destroyed it that much that he only played in 3 GF's in 2 years. Also wasnt this the same guy that they thought 4 years ago wasnt good enough to keep. It seems to me RL made his career, not destroyed it.
Given that he came to the club as an under 18 champ, I highly doubt RL had anything to do with making his career. Seems that having got there, the desire left Mini, he's now finding it again, faced with the fact that his career may now be over. He may just be an ordinary AFL player, there are ordinary players on any GF team, so 3 GF's in 2 years doesn't say too much.

Mini, a reasonable defensive forward...unfortunately, going into 2011 is seemed an unfashionable position post-Saints Footy.
My point was he was delisted and given another chance and with that other chance he played in 3 GF's. Not many players do that.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:

My point was he was delisted and given another chance and with that other chance he played in 3 GF's. Not many players do that.
Very true...point taken.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Honestly, his 2009 season was so good - look at his stats.

345 possessions, 22 goals, 112 tackles.

What went wrong?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Team defenses......and he was being more negative to his direct opponent, and became offesively poor.....

The best way for a forward to negate a defender is

A) get into dangerous positions and kick goals

B) chase the defender around

vacuous space
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:What went wrong?
Our forward line really suffered after 09. The only player who has really improved since then is Schneider, and that's mostly due to increased time up the ground.

For all the complaining about Eddy and Mini that went on, none of the several options that were tried this year looked particularly better - and our attacking numbers did not improve. Gilbert and Gamble were supposed to be the difference. Now Gamble's gone and Gilbert's gone back to the defence. This year it's Cripps, Saad and Siposs. We'll see if any of them are actually an improvement.

Mini was far more attacking than he gets credit for. He didn't like kicking for goal, but he always liked setting up a teammate. He could win the ball at ground level and didn't turn over the ball a lot. He played really well as an onballer for Sandy, but was passed over in favour of Dean Polo when a spot opened up.

I think he'd be a great fit for a young team. At worst, you get a viable backup with some solid experience and great character. Who knows what the upside is? He played some great footy as a mid at a lower level.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He was a forward, but it had the word 'defensive' in front of it....

Has to kill off any instinct eventually, surely

Scoop
Club Player

Mini had one good year....2009...good defensive forward, who also kicked goals....

After that.....not so good and goals dried up.....had no other strings to his bow....

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:

No way he lost his desire to play at AFL-level.

He was internally rated as a leader of the club...

degruch
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
degruch wrote:

No way he lost his desire to play at AFL-level.

He was internally rated as a leader of the club...
So what explains the drop off in performance the last 2 seasons? Mini never lived up to his potential as a player, although he might have been a great club man, hence the leadership role. But if he was highly rated as a leader, why did the club 'retire' him?