Ryder Nominates Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Ryder Nominates Saints

Paddy Ryder has nominated us as his preferred destination according to Fox Sports.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Ryder Nominates Saints

Bernard Shakey wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 5:47pm Paddy Ryder has nominated us as his preferred destination according to Fox Sports.
Link Bernard? Can't see anything on FoxSports website

Go you red, black & white warriors
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

why does this news feel like dancing with a sister who was left sitting by herself at the dance?

Seeya
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Can we say “we’re flattered, but no thanks”?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
linmarnic
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 6:22pm why does this news feel like dancing with a sister who was left sitting by herself at the dance?
I thought the Bombers were after him too. Does that mean that the sister has two brothers?

I actually think he would be a good get for the right price only. Would be of great help The Prospect do doubt.

Never give up
linmarnic
Club Player

linmarnic wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 6:44pm
sunsaint wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 6:22pm why does this news feel like dancing with a sister who was left sitting by herself at the dance?
I thought the Bombers were after him too. Does that mean that the sister has two brothers?

I actually think he would be a good get for the right price only. Would be of great help The Prospect do doubt.
Sorry that’s no doubt.

Never give up
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Facebook

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Bombers were def keen

#1 Ryder fan
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 7:04pm Facebook
Well that is almost as reliable a tedtheantiheroandbogun

However

Tony Sheahan
@TonySheahan
·
6h
Paddy Ryder all but a done deal to
@stkildafc

Is currently looking at real estate in the bayside area near Moorabbin.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

F-CK!!!

I guess he’s still got to do a medical, or don’t we do those?

I really feel this is a negative backward move by the club.

We are right into other clubs cast offs.

- Hannebery past his best and a swans salary dump
- Kent a fringe player at best in a crap club given a 3 year deal
- Ryder old, fat immobile has been

Disappointing.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 7:12pm F-CK!!!

I guess he’s still got to do a medical, or don’t we do those?

Well I think everyone passes them anyway...Hannas, Freeman.......

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Well our ruck stocks have improved already from this years list. If this comes to fruition, welcome Paddy.

I don't see this as the doom & gloom that others do, sure he's not a long term prospect but excellent insurance for a couple of years & a better sounding board than what RoMa's had.

Seriously I cannot understand the hysteria, good move by the Club in my opinion.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 7:26pm
Seriously I cannot understand the hysteria, good move by the Club in my opinion.
It s not hysteria, it is the strong suspicion that come Round 1 Bruce will be at the Dogs and Ryder will be filling in a as key forward, OR that we will play top heavy with one less mid.

If so, I see either scenario as a less balanced team.

I could be surprised though with him mainly playing out the year at Sandy, but I doubt it.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Hahaha gold.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Will be lucky to play 5 games body is shot & terrible stats this year!

PADDLEPOP1000
To the top
SS Life Member

Having preferred Longer and Pierce to Hickey and now delisting both Longer and Pierce because they were not to AFL level (but Hickey with WCE) we simply have no ruck support for The developing Marshall, absolutely none

So Ryder is an improvement - and a required improvement

Who else was available and interested in playing with St Kilda?

And we could afford noting the Draft Picks we currently have?

I can not imagine Fremantle accepting anything less than Pick 5 - which we have - for Hill

Any attempt to split 5 would not be appreciated by Fremantle, no doubt

And, to St Kilda at least, Hill is worth Pick 5 because he is the exact player type we require and more so if Steven is cleared

So, given that scenario, where is our trading leverage?

Hence Ryder

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 7:39pmIt s not hysteria, it is the strong suspicion that come Round 1 Bruce will be at the Dogs and Ryder will be filling in a as key forward, OR that we will play top heavy with one less mid.
What I like least about it is that we're basically doing the same thing that didn't work at Port this year. They brought in Lycett, with an eye to playing him alongside Ryder. Now we're bringing in Ryder, with an eye to playing him with Marshall. I'm not sure if we should be expecting greatly different results.

What I will say, in favour of Ryder, is that he's a lot better second ruck option than some of the other guys I've seen suggested here. He had the 4th best hitout win percentage this year (behind Sandilands and the two Melbourne rucks). He had one of the better hitout to advantage percentages as well. Given Bruce had a 12% hitout win percentage, I think we can at least expect an improvement in that area. I don't think 15 goals is a terrible return either, given he was rucking ~40% of the time (Ryder averaged 39.5 ruck contests per game, Port averaged 92 ruck contests per game). I doubt he'll kick as many as Bruce did this year, but I'd have likely bet against Bruce kicking as many next year as he did this year, given King is thereabouts and we're likely to be playing three talls at times next year.

Personally, I think trading Bruce makes a lot of sense. He'd be near valueless if he lost his spot to King. Better to trade him now for usable assets and bring in Ryder as a stop-gap for relative peanuts. Especially in light of the possibility of losing Steven for pick 52 or something thereabouts. If Ryder flops, we're probably not a finals team. If he succeeds, however, well, we're probably still not a finals team. I don't see it as a high risk gambit. We're probably doing it more to an enable the shopping spree bringing in Hill and Jones, which is likely to be more critical to any success we might have next year. Also, Bruce has seen King at training, so he knows what's coming.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
stkfc1
Club Player

Im going positive on this. We dont know where Paddys at. Maybe a new club with good preseason and who knows, he may surprise. its not like we had a plethora of ruck options so at least he's an upgrade on what little we had. Hopefully RoMa continues his upward trajectory and Ryder plays a bit part as required. At least we now have someone to put on the park cause if the unthinkable happened and RoMa went down long term. Imagine if Bruce had to be our first ruck for half a year...and we may no longer even have that option for much longer.

Im hoping we find another mature age ruckman from the state league ala Wilkie. That would be handy. Any suggestions?

Junior
Club Player

Can’t believe the reaction over a nomination that has not occurred.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

What are the saints going to give up to get this aging player, pick 77 in this years draft ?

Even that might be overs.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 11:17pm Im going positive on this. We dont know where Paddys at. Maybe a new club with good preseason and who knows, he may surprise. its not like we had a plethora of ruck options so at least he's an upgrade on what little we had. Hopefully RoMa continues his upward trajectory and Ryder plays a bit part as required. At least we now have someone to put on the park cause if the unthinkable happened and RoMa went down long term. Imagine if Bruce had to be our first ruck for half a year...and we may no longer even have that option for much longer.

Im hoping we find another mature age ruckman from the state league ala Wilkie. That would be handy. Any suggestions?
If Swans do not re-sign their mideseason draft pick Michael Knoll then he was best State League Ruckman in SA / WA

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/201 ... hael-knoll

Next best ruckman in WA was Corey Gault but not sure his form at end of year was that great
https://www.wafl.com.au/player/corey-gault

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 10:36pm
saintsRrising wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 7:39pmIt s not hysteria, it is the strong suspicion that come Round 1 Bruce will be at the Dogs and Ryder will be filling in a as key forward, OR that we will play top heavy with one less mid.
What I like least about it is that we're basically doing the same thing that didn't work at Port this year. They brought in Lycett, with an eye to playing him alongside Ryder. Now we're bringing in Ryder, with an eye to playing him with Marshall. I'm not sure if we should be expecting greatly different results.

What I will say, in favour of Ryder, is that he's a lot better second ruck option than some of the other guys I've seen suggested here. He had the 4th best hitout win percentage this year (behind Sandilands and the two Melbourne rucks). He had one of the better hitout to advantage percentages as well. Given Bruce had a 12% hitout win percentage, I think we can at least expect an improvement in that area. I don't think 15 goals is a terrible return either, given he was rucking ~40% of the time (Ryder averaged 39.5 ruck contests per game, Port averaged 92 ruck contests per game). I doubt he'll kick as many as Bruce did this year, but I'd have likely bet against Bruce kicking as many next year as he did this year, given King is thereabouts and we're likely to be playing three talls at times next year.

Personally, I think trading Bruce makes a lot of sense. He'd be near valueless if he lost his spot to King. Better to trade him now for usable assets and bring in Ryder as a stop-gap for relative peanuts. Especially in light of the possibility of losing Steven for pick 52 or something thereabouts. If Ryder flops, we're probably not a finals team. If he succeeds, however, well, we're probably still not a finals team. I don't see it as a high risk gambit. We're probably doing it more to an enable the shopping spree bringing in Hill and Jones, which is likely to be more critical to any success we might have next year. Also, Bruce has seen King at training, so he knows what's coming.

As I have posted in other threads I am not against trading Bruce if as is rumoured the Dogs are willing to pay us a very good price. Steven will not gain us much from the Cats and so you can understand why the club is willing to let Bruce go if the deal is good. Hill, Jones and hopefully still a pick in the top two dozen, or another good player from another club.

I just think it is pointless getting a fill in player like Ryder who is not about the future, but rather about treading water. I would prefer to just get a competent, or developing ruck who can fill in as required but who mainly develpos at Sandy. With KIng in, it cannot just be just Membrey and King as the forward targets and so with Bruce gone Battle should be given the opportunity up forward. It seems the club is still chasing Keath and if they miss then Brown will be retained.

I think Hill is an excellent move and he will make Ross and Dunstan more effective. We are fortunate that as he is already a multiple Premiership player that he is ok at joining a club a bit off the premiership pace if it means he guarantees setting up his family well.

Jones is a higher risk and less certain choice. But not being a popular club, is the type of player we are left with securing. Though he does have some tools that should aid us well.

If the club do gain Ryder then I assume the clubs plan will be to play Marshall as a key forward for significant periods. It may be Marshall No1 ruck 60% of the time and 40% key forward alternating with Ryder.

With Marshall though I see him as a rare beast both in talent and also in that he thrives on hard work and the contest, and it is my belief that he will bloom all the faster if he is plays most games, and most of the game as the No1 ruck rather than as tandem act.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 20 Sep 2019 9:52am, edited 1 time in total.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Where does Ryder actually fit in the team?
He is not coming to play at Sandy.
What is his role?

Marshall is a midfielder and clearance player who thrives on the work load. Ryder comes in and plays forward/ ruck? Ryder no longer has the mobility to play forward and will compete in the ruck contest and provide little else. Ryder is finished. Marshalls output will diminish if both are played and Ryder will spend more time on ball as Marshall will be better value forward.

If they trade Bruce and replace him with Ryder the decision makers are f-cked in the head.

If they want a Marshall/ forward ruck partner, go at Chol or Rutagelea as both can play forward and ruck competitively and have upside. Make it part of the Steven deal/ pick and get it done.

F-cking Ryder 😡

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
barneyboyz
Club Player

vacuous space wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 10:36pm

Ryder and Marshall = 2 x better than Ryder and Lycett. Personally, once we got rid of Tom Hickey we were in danger of going into games with Bruce as #1 Ruck

Hindsight is a marvellous thing

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
barneyboyz
Club Player

stkfc1 wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 11:17pm Im going positive on this. We dont know where Paddys at. Maybe a new club with good preseason and who knows, he may surprise. its not like we had a plethora of ruck options so at least he's an upgrade on what little we had. Hopefully RoMa continues his upward trajectory and Ryder plays a bit part as required. At least we now have someone to put on the park cause if the unthinkable happened and RoMa went down long term. Imagine if Bruce had to be our first ruck for half a year...and we may no longer even have that option for much longer.

Plus, Ryder wasn't the problem at Port this year, the whole Adelaide landfill was coming to the surface this year :lol:

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink: