ROBERT HARVEY

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

ROBERT HARVEY

I truly hope and pray Robert Harvey is announced as St.kilda's new senior coach.

I see him as being St.kilda's Jock McHale for want of a better analogy.
Robert Harvey is more thorough in preparation than anyone in the known universe bar none.
With the right assistants around him and Lenny Hayes for starters, I have zero doubt this would be the best step forward at this point in time for this football club.

Robert Harvey has been an assistant for ten years plus and has already been rejected once when then viewed as too inexperienced I imagine.
To knock him back again does not sit right with me.
After all the sacrifices and energy he has given to this football club during his playing career, he deserves the opportunity and the trust to be given the opportunity to lead this club from the front.

I don't buy this absolute crap that he is somehow incapable of being a good senior coach because of ill conceived nonsense about him not being some slick media performer or a snake oil salesmen like the Scott brothers for example.

I will be VERY disappointed if Robert Harvey gets knocked back a second time after having done a ten year apprenticeship.

In fact I'll be extremely pissed off.

I fully expect Brett Ratten to be appointed senior coach because this football club is second to none when it comes to goofball stupidity.

Hoping and praying for Robert Harvey to be announced as the new senior coach.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Re: ROBERT HARVEY

barks4eva wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 6:30pm I truly hope and pray Robert Harvey is announced as St.kilda's new senior coach.

Robert Harvey is more thorough in preparation than anyone in the known universe bar none.
With the right assistants around him and Lenny Hayes for starters, I have zero doubt this would be the best step forward at this point in time for this football club.

Robert Harvey has been an assistant for ten years plus and has already been rejected once when then viewed as too inexperienced I imagine.
After all the sacrifices and energy he has given to this football club during his playing career, he deserves the opportunity and the trust to be given the opportunity to lead this club from the front.

I don't buy this absolute crap that he is somehow incapable of being a good senior coach because of ill conceived nonsense about him not being some slick media performer or a snake oil salesmen like the Scott brothers for example.

I will be VERY disappointed if Robert Harvey gets knocked back a second time after having done a ten year apprenticeship.

I fully expect Brett Ratten to be appointed senior coach because this football club is second to none when it comes to goofball stupidity.

I hope Banger is appointed as well. I really do but I get the feeling it's Ratts.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Robert Harvey is my favourite player of all time, best I’ve seen in the RWB and I reckon he would be a better coach than a lot of ignorant people think... they mistake his introverted humbleness as an inability to lead.

Robert is articulate and intelligent and knows more about the game than almost anyone

Having said that

Ratten will get the job, because Robert has never coached his own team.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Excellent post B4E, I do think you'll be disappointed however. I agree with all what you wrote about the great man & am equally annoyed at the perception he can't communicate, simply foolish.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Rob is one of those guys who don’t have say a lot, but when he does, people listen.

A good communicator doesn’t necessarily mean a person who waffles on all the time, or speaks the loudest.

It’s what they have to say, and when they say it... and there’s also the listening component.

Many coaches don’t listen, because they think they know best, they should do all the talking.

Leadership is as much about empowering as it is directing

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Maybe but I still think that it would be a very big risk. Hence, I think the club should go for the safe bet and appoint Ratten.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

I fully expect Brett Ratten to be announced senior coach on probably Tuesday of next week.

With Matt gender neutral toilets Finnis, responsible for Richardson's contract extension and Simon Lethlean, whose shown he's very capable of making extremely poor decisions... how did he land at St.kilda in the first place ?... with both of them on the selection committee I have little doubt they'll completely F it up and appoint Brett Ratten as senior coach.

Richo MKII or is that Watters MKIII ?

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 7:04pm Maybe but I still think that it would be a very big risk. Hence, I think the club should go for the safe bet and appoint Ratten.
Please do explain how Robert Harvey is a big risk and Brett Ratten is a safe bet?

Based on what?

I personally think Robert Harvey is the safe bet and Brett Ratten is a huge mistake.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I am in no position to judge Harvey's ability to coach, and I have a little bit to go on in regards to Ratten, but only from a distance and only by match day performance. Unless you're around the club and in the coaches box with either of those two guys, how can you possibly be so adamant that one is better than the other? Therefore it makes no sense to claim that one will be amazing and the other a load of shite. For us on the outside, there is no way of knowing. Both are highly regarded within the industry.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 7:02pm Rob is one of those guys who don’t have say a lot, but when he does, people listen.

A good communicator doesn’t necessarily mean a person who waffles on all the time, or speaks the loudest.

It’s what they have to say, and when they say it... and there’s also the listening component.

Many coaches don’t listen, because they think they know best, they should do all the talking.

Leadership is as much about empowering as it is directing
Exactly

AND precisely why Robert Harvey would make an outstanding senior coach.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Ratten is the safe bet to continue on as we have been. The architect of our forward structure this year. The coach that oversaw us finish the season with a loss to Carlton for gawds sake. The coach in charge when we capitulated against the swans with a woeful display of motivation or inspiration.
Yep - the safe bet that we will continue on the path richo had us on for the last five years.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 6:33pm
barks4eva wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 6:30pm I truly hope and pray Robert Harvey is announced as St.kilda's new senior coach.

I hope Banger is appointed as well. I really do but I get the feeling it's Ratts.
Banger came very close. Had three interviews

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 6:37pm Robert Harvey is my favourite player of all time, best I’ve seen in the RWB and I reckon he would be a better coach than a lot of ignorant people think... they mistake his introverted humbleness as an inability to lead.

Robert is articulate and intelligent and knows more about the game than almost anyone

Having said that

Ratten will get the job, because Robert has never coached his own team.
Trevor Barker, Robert Harvey and Lenny Hayes are my favourite players of all time.

Robert Harvey senior coach and Lenny Hayes assistant coach would be the best step forward right now if this club had any real vision.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He’ll be happy with that... interviews... second time he’s missed out at the club he loves.

A Kevin Bartlett type reaction is on the cards.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Knowing us

Lenny would be given the forwards or defenders... leave the Mids to Henry Playfair I reckon!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If he loves the club Harves will be supporting any success that comes our way and he'll have a warm inner glow if we start showing signs of building a finals capable list.

If Ratts fails in the next few years there's nothing stopping Banger from putting his hand up again.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

that reads like Harves didn’t get it.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 7:13pm
SaintPav wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 7:04pm Maybe but I still think that it would be a very big risk. Hence, I think the club should go for the safe bet and appoint Ratten.
Please do explain how Robert Harvey is a big risk and Brett Ratten is a safe bet?

Based on what?

I personally think Robert Harvey is the safe bet and Brett Ratten is a huge mistake.
Simple. Ratten is experienced as head coach and Harves isn’t.

You could very well be right though. Who knows.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 7:30pm
F ..... typical

Corporate clownsuits?

With Matt gender neutral toilets Finnis responsible for Richardson's contract extension and Simon Lethlean whose clearly demonstrated his ability to make extremely poor decisions... how did he come to land at St.kilda in the first place ?... with both of them on the selection committee it was odds on they would absolutely F it up by appointing Brett Ratten.

VERY PISSED OFF

Absolute goofball stupidity

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 7:41pm If he loves the club Harves will be supporting any success that comes our way and he'll have a warm inner glow if we start showing signs of building a finals capable list.

If Ratts fails in the next few years there's nothing stopping Banger from putting his hand up again.
Hope the club offer him a senior role.

Probably won’t take it though.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 7:49pm
tony74 wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 7:30pm
F ..... typical

Corporate clownsuits?

With Matt gender neutral toilets Finnis responsible for Richardson's contract extension and Simon Lethlean whose clearly demonstrated his ability to make extremely poor decisions... how did he come to land at St.kilda in the first place ?... with both of them on the selection committee it was odds on they would absolutely F it up by appointing Brett Ratten.

VERY PISSED OFF

Absolute goofball stupidity
:D

The Barometer
Club Player

B.M wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 7:37pm Knowing us

Lenny would be given the forwards or defenders... leave the Mids to Henry Playfair I reckon!
Whats wrong with that? Plenty of other clubs have line coaches who didn't play that position.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Really pissed off...

Appointed a failed Carlton coach.....

No balls .....

Plenty of rookie coaches do well..

Harves has DONE the apprenticeship

deserves his chance.....

You never know he may end up coaching the side he barracked for as a kid.......Essesndon

saint4life
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not sure Banger would put his hand up again if Ratten gets sacked

More likely to stick a finger up... at the club

He will no doubt be scorned

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I believe we cannot afford to have Banger learning on the job. We can't afford to have a mediocre team or any more bottom 4 finishes in the next few years.

Ratts has coached in his own right. As well as having the time under Clarko he's now had a year to assess what we need. He knows what the current players are capable of and and he'll implement the changes needed to get the list up to standard.

Harvey would have been great for the membership department for a couple of years and would have been fantastic for the media team and sponsorship for the next twelve months...but what about the list and the player development and the results on field?

We have made the right decision. I am confident that Ratts can succeed if he doesn't get too many non-footy administrators getting in his way