Robert Harvey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Robert Harvey

Herald sun has a story saying he will be interviewed for the Saints senior coaching position

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: Robert Harvey

I know Ratten has done well in taking over the team but is it a breath of fresh air type of thing?

Ratten had his go at senior coaching with a 50% win/loss record.
Brad Scott had his go at senior coaching with a 50% win/loss record.

If either of those two get the job then we can kiss Robert Harvey goodbye forever. I would just hate to see Banger get a senior gig elsewhere and go really well.

It's now or never (as the song says) and, from what Buckley has said, Banger would be a great senior coach.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I am really torn, conflicted even.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 4:48pm Herald sun has a story saying he will be interviewed for the Saints senior coaching position
Makes senses. Ratts is being interviewed this week and so if the Panel is doing its job it should be interviewing several candidates.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

As Barrett said, Norf went early on Shaw and on Saturday they recorded their lowest ever score.

No harm going through a proper process.

Just hope it isn't all a charade and they appoint Scott anyway.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

It's funny how Norf cemented Shaw so quickly, without talking to other candidates.
They must have had Shaw earmarked from early on.
At least we appear to be following an objective process.
I would feel funny if Banger got it and Ratts returned to assistant status.

Ratts seems to look so comfortable and a natural.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 5:59pm It's funny how Norf cemented Shaw so quickly, without talking.....
-they had the chills were clearing their throats after seeing 1.8.22 on the scoreboard at full time on Saturday.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 26a68d10b1

"AFL 2019: St Kilda great Robert Harvey to reportedly interview for vacant senior coaching role
AFL

August 13, 2019 10:03am
by Staff Writers
Source: FOX SPORTS

St Kilda great Robert Harvey is reportedly set to interview for the club’s vacant senior coaching role.

According to the Herald Sun, the current Collingwood assistant coach will be formally interviewed in the next fortnight.

Current caretaker coach Brett Ratten has a 3-1 record since taking over from Alan Richardson and remains firmly in the mix to be given the senior role.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 0f12f963e9

"Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley says Robert Harvey is more than ready to take on a senior coaching job as the St Kilda great prepares to interview for the main role at his old club.
Jay Clark, Herald Sun

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley has strongly endorsed Robert Harvey’s senior coaching credentials, saying the St Kilda champion’s game knowledge is as good as he has seen.

Harvey will interview for St Kilda’s vacant senior coaching job over the next fortnight in a bid to return to the club where he carved out a magnificent 383-game playing career.

Caretaker coach Brett Ratten is in the box seat to remain in the top job after guiding the club to its third win under him against Fremantle on Sunday.

Harvey, 47, has maintained a low public profile in his 11-year stint as assistant coach, but Buckley said behind the low-key exterior was a superb relationship-builder and master tactician.

“If I got hit by a bus tomorrow, he could step up and I don’t think we would skip a beat,” Buckley told the Herald Sun.

“Tactically, I lean on him heavily for his knowledge of the game, but underpinning that is his work rate, because he has never relied on his talent, he was always the hardest worker.

“So, he watches more vision from more angles than anyone I have ever seen, any coach I have ever known."

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Torn.

He is more than qualified and would be a terrific choice.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I’m for Ratts.

Loved Banger as a player, but I feel he’s not a senior coach.

Ratts has runs on the board ... 50 per cent winning record isn’t bad with what he had to work with at Carlton. He’s a good communicator and I feel they will play for him.

I know many Carlton supporters who regret his sacking, which was really only because Malthouse was available. ... and we know how that turned out.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 13 Aug 2019 7:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

diddley
Club Player

bigred wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 7:11pm Torn.

He is more than qualified and would be a terrific choice.
Same.
Torn is the perfect word.
I wish we could have both Ratten and Harvey.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

We probably should.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 7:46pm We probably should.
Would be great, fantastic even, a bit like having your cake and then getting to eat it. :)

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Let's not forget that Ratts also assisted under Clarkson. I love Banger, but if we win the last two games, it's going to be hard not to give Ratts the job.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 8:17pm Let's not forget that Ratts also assisted under Clarkson. I love Banger, but if we win the last two games, it's going to be hard not to give Ratts the job.
Too true, too true

BarryGrogan
Club Player

We'd be absolutely off our nut to let Ratten slip away from under our noses.

Saintly66
Club Player

Hell no to harves, imagine when it goes pear shaped. No thanks, fantastic player for us but a definite no to possible head coaching position.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Which one of Ratten and Harvey would sell the most memberships for the Club? Either of them may, or may not, be an excellent coach but we cannot afford to wear rose-coloured glasses.

The past three ex-StKilda players to have coached the Saints are Grant Thomas, Darrell Baldock (and, yes, Allan Davis during his illness) and the supremo, Allan Jeans. I guess memberships were less important when Gabby took over in 1961 compared to what they are today, but we need a multi-skilled coach who can win the players as well as the supporters.

Glad I am not on the selection committee!

Saint supporter since '62
To the top
SS Life Member

No doubt there are a number interested in the St Kilda coaching position

Think Billings, Dunstan, Acres (fully fit), Gresham, Marshall, Carlisle, Clark, Coffield, Membrey, Bruce, Steele, King, Hannebery, Steven, Ross, Wilkie, Battle then some luck with Bytel, Roberton and McCartin

Plus Long shows a bit

Not too shabby for starters - and before a First Round Draft Pick later this year

We are getting closer to a class 22

So potential coaches will be lining up

I understand that Ratten is contracted for next season anyway - so will remain on the coaching panel regardless

The process will identify the correct choice

The President will see to that

Interesting that Ratten had both Richardson and Harvey as his assistants at Carlton

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 8:49pm Which one of Ratten and Harvey would sell the most memberships for the Club? Either of them may, or may not, be an excellent coach but we cannot afford to wear rose-coloured glasses.

The past three ex-StKilda players to have coached the Saints are Grant Thomas, Darrell Baldock (and, yes, Allan Davis during his illness) and the supremo, Allan Jeans. I guess memberships were less important when Gabby took over in 1961 compared to what they are today, but we need a multi-skilled coach who can win the players as well as the supporters.

Glad I am not on the selection committee!
You missed Graeme Gellie

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 6:23pm https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 26a68d10b1

"AFL 2019: St Kilda great Robert Harvey to reportedly interview for vacant senior coaching role
AFL

August 13, 2019 10:03am
by Staff Writers
Source: FOX SPORTS

St Kilda great Robert Harvey is reportedly set to interview for the club’s vacant senior coaching role.

According to the Herald Sun, the current Collingwood assistant coach will be formally interviewed in the next fortnight.

Current caretaker coach Brett Ratten has a 3-1 record since taking over from Alan Richardson and remains firmly in the mix to be given the senior role.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 0f12f963e9

"Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley says Robert Harvey is more than ready to take on a senior coaching job as the St Kilda great prepares to interview for the main role at his old club.
Jay Clark, Herald Sun

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley has strongly endorsed Robert Harvey’s senior coaching credentials, saying the St Kilda champion’s game knowledge is as good as he has seen.

Harvey will interview for St Kilda’s vacant senior coaching job over the next fortnight in a bid to return to the club where he carved out a magnificent 383-game playing career.

Caretaker coach Brett Ratten is in the box seat to remain in the top job after guiding the club to its third win under him against Fremantle on Sunday.

Harvey, 47, has maintained a low public profile in his 11-year stint as assistant coach, but Buckley said behind the low-key exterior was a superb relationship-builder and master tactician.

“If I got hit by a bus tomorrow, he could step up and I don’t think we would skip a beat,” Buckley told the Herald Sun.

“Tactically, I lean on him heavily for his knowledge of the game, but underpinning that is his work rate, because he has never relied on his talent, he was always the hardest worker.

“So, he watches more vision from more angles than anyone I have ever seen, any coach I have ever known."
With Ratts, the club will know what they are getting.

Can Harves communicate to the players and coaches? Can he sell a vision?

For some nagging reason, I just don’t trust Buckley’s judgement.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saint 58
Club Player

Rotten for 3 years, Harvey as assistant, then Harvey takes over & Ratten becomes director of coaching
I doubt either would be happy with that setup, esp. Harvey

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
saynta
Saintsational Legend

An insider told me a couple of months ago that Banger was a bigger risk than Ratts, but he had an upside in that he would attract huge membership numbers with a resultant financial gain.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Yeah not an easy choice. But harvey puts more into everything he does to ensure he succeeds. Is a club champion and has done more than his fair apprenticeship. Anyone discounting him on a gut feel or fear of failure and losing his lusture are selling him well short. I’d be happy with either but Ratta’s best we’ve seen. Good but not great. Got a decent performance from a mediocre team. Harvey we haven’t seen. Everything else he’s done has been great. I’d have him. Who gives a fig about media performances.
Last edited by desertsaint on Tue 13 Aug 2019 8:58pm, edited 2 times in total.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bigred
Saintsational Legend

If Harvey does not get the gig, he should be brought on as a lead assistant.

No question.

If he can cop missing out.