Jack Steele

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Loxton
Club Player

Jack Steele

A pure footballer. Tough, fit and great endurance.
Has one of the hardest roles in footy and does it better than most. He hurts offensively, and rarely makes a mistake in doing so.
One of our most valuable players no doubt.
Got beaten yesterday which is rare, but it was Nat Fyfe whom i feel is back to his Brownlow year form. No disgrace in that. Steele will have learned a lot from that clash and be better for it this weekend.

TARGET: Patrick Cripps. (extremely dangerous)
In my opinion Fyfe and Cripps have very similar attributes in physical size and skill levels.
In last battle (round 10) between Steele and Cripps each had 28 disposals. Cripps's were a lot more damaging and only he kept the Blues in the game. Most of Jack's disposals were from the inside to clear the ball from in tight.
The Blues are playing a lot better now than when we played them earlier.
I don't feel this game is an easy one, and possibly one of those games that can be lost without concentration.
I feel our Jack Steele is the key again in this clash.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Steele

Jack Steele - One of the magnets glued to the whiteboard!

And definitely a better team because of it!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
barneyboyz
Club Player

Please excuse, but what a ripping bloke is Jack :D

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Call me dumb, but I reckon one of the most important jobs for a coach is team selection

Jack Steele was the first bloke deemed worthy of being dropped from the team in 2018 when we were pantsed by North in the Good Friday debacle. That was also the game where it was the 20th or 30th opportunity for Longer, where Longer had been favoured ahead of our other ruck options. I think Billy repaid his coach's faith with 1 disposal for the whole match.

No Teddy or Cairnsman around so I can safely post without getting a reply of 'Alan, Alan, Alan'

.....maybe

St Loxton
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 5:21pm Call me dumb, but I reckon one of the most important jobs for a coach is team selection

Jack Steele was the first bloke deemed worthy of being dropped from the team in 2018 when we were pantsed by North in the Good Friday debacle. That was also the game where it was the 20th or 30th opportunity for Longer, where Longer had been favoured ahead of our other ruck options. I think Billy repaid his coach's faith with 1 disposal for the whole match.

No Teddy or Cairnsman around so I can safely post without getting a reply of 'Alan, Alan, Alan'

.....maybe
Horrible game. Weak as piss effort.
Then Crows smashed us at Etihad.
Then belted at Kardinia.
Season and confidence gone.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Good player, well beaten on the weekend by a champion.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

My choice for skipper. Has a real resolve about him, given a job & never gives up, doesn't back down, despises losing. Has a fair bit of "C" in him.

To the top
SS Life Member

The impact of Sandilands rucking assisted Fyffe particularly in regards clearances

Both Steele and Marshall persisted and were contributors

Even Carlisle appeared short against Sandilands - but not as short as Maguire appeared when he stood him at Docklands some years back

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 5:21pm Call me dumb, but I reckon one of the most important jobs for a coach is team selection

.....maybe
Don’t forget... we picked Longer when he was obviously restricted with injury too

minneapolis
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 10:37pm My choice for skipper. Has a real resolve about him, given a job & never gives up, doesn't back down, despises losing. Has a fair bit of "C" in him.
Vitamin C?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 5:46am
Ghost Like wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 10:37pm My choice for skipper. Has a real resolve about him, given a job & never gives up, doesn't back down, despises losing. Has a fair bit of "C" in him.
Vitamin C?
Exactly, all leaders & people who hate losing have vitamin C in spades...forget peptides & Mexican jumping beans.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 12:32am

.....maybe
Don’t forget... we picked Longer when he was obviously restricted with injury too
He was the CHOsen one clearly.

I assume Longer is contracted for 2020?

Anyone know?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 7:30am
skeptic wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 12:32am

.....maybe
He was the CHOsen one clearly.

I assume Longer is contracted for 2020?

Anyone know?
I don't believe so, was given a year deal (2019).

takeaway
Club Player

.....maybe
Oh, 'Alan, Alan, Alan'.

Don't worry Mr Scolop, there will always be someone on here to correct your fairy stories. Steele did not have a great game in Rd 1 vs Bris, which we won essentially due to Jack Steven. We got beaten in the clearances, Steele got a few handballs but was largely ineffective. Koby Stevens was our main defensive mid, and quelled Zorko in that game. We all know what happened to Koby after the next game vs North. Steele was dropped, but came back as the main defensive, tagging mid, learnt the role by tagging the opposition's best mids, improved defensively, and then offensively, to become the player he is today. Good management by Saints heirarchy, including Richo.

The style of ruckwork required today has seemingly passed Billy by, but people seem to forget he gave us very good service in 2015 (carried the rucks at a young age), and also 2017, when tap outs mattered more, and Billy was one of the best in that regard.

St.Roly
Club Player

+1

Was watching him when interchanging off at the same time as Fyfe - was very dirty on himself.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Would be my first choice as skipper.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 9:09am

.....maybe
Oh, 'Alan, Alan, Alan'.

Don't worry Mr Scolop, there will always be someone on here to correct your fairy stories. Steele did not have a great game in Rd 1 vs Bris, which we won essentially due to Jack Steven. We got beaten in the clearances, Steele got a few handballs but was largely ineffective. Koby Stevens was our main defensive mid, and quelled Zorko in that game. We all know what happened to Koby after the next game vs North. Steele was dropped, but came back as the main defensive, tagging mid, learnt the role by tagging the opposition's best mids, improved defensively, and then offensively, to become the player he is today. Good management by Saints heirarchy, including Richo.

The style of ruckwork required today has seemingly passed Billy by, but people seem to forget he gave us very good service in 2015 (carried the rucks at a young age), and also 2017, when tap outs mattered more, and Billy was one of the best in that regard.
Wtf? Why mention the Brisbane game? Steele got 18 possessions and Cho only played him 70% in that game in a game where we won.

Cho's team selections for that Good Friday debacle were plain wrong. Cho picked injured players, played guys like Steele in the wrong role, and also played Steele for only 68% game time. So basically he didn't value the kid and he spoke with his actions by dropping him after the North game

That is the point I am making and if Koby was fit perhaps Cho would have kept Steele out of the team and kept dropping him and not allowing a young bloke to develop and achieve his potential. Koby was injured prior to going in to the North game (Koby was obviously not right with his decsion making and disposal but Cho played him for 79% game time against North) so careful when you accuse others of fairy stories.

And again you are defending Cho and calling his decisions 'good management' when the role that Steele took on was accidental and not because Cho identified talent amd identified the strengths of a player.

As for defending Billy, I think Cho may be one of the reasons that the kid didn't develop the way he needed to. The game moved on 20 years ago and yet we had a coach that accepted a player who was one dimensional. Every player has to contribute more on field. It's one of the reasons Nathan Brown has been dropped several times this year.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 12:22pm
takeaway wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 9:09am

.....maybe
Oh, 'Alan, Alan, Alan'.

Wtf? Why mention the Brisbane game? Steele got 18 possessions and Cho only played him 70% in that game in a game where we won.

Cho's team selections for that Good Friday debacle were plain wrong. Cho picked injured players, played guys like Steele in the wrong role, and also played Steele for only 68% game time. So basically he didn't value the kid and he spoke with his actions by dropping him after the North game

That is the point I am making and if Koby was fit perhaps Cho would have kept Steele out of the team and kept dropping him and not allowing a young bloke to develop and achieve his potential. Koby was injured prior to going in to the North game and it got worse during that game so careful when you accuse others of fairy stories.

And again you are defending Cho and calling his decisions 'good management' when the role that Steele took on was accidental and not because Cho identified talent amd identified the strengths of a player.

As for defending Billy, I think Cho may be one of the reasons that the kid didn't develop the way he needed to. The game moved on 20 years ago and yet we had a coach that accepted a player who was one dimensional. Every player has to contribute more on field. It's one of the reasons Nathan Brown has been dropped several times this year.
Er, I think the Brisbane game is very relevant because it was the first of the 2 games played before Steele was dropped. No one was much good in the North game, including Steele, and Steele was the worst performed of the mids vs Bris, hence dropped for R3. Did you watch the game, or just study the stats sheet which seems to be your go? Where did Steele's handballs go? Very ineffective. Most of the other mids were in the best. So rightfully imo dropped, and since he came back has established himself as one of the first picked. Accidental role? Rubbish.

Nathan Brown? Dropped because he didn't contribute more on the field? Probably beaten only once this year, (think it was Tex), and only dropped for team match up purposes. I guess when you check the results of the game and commence your extensive stats study you see Brown has only had a handful of possessions, so obviously must be dropped. Game moved on 20 years ago? I think the game moves on and changes each year.

How about watching a game instead of the stats sheet Mr scolop?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I was at both games (paid for the North one as it was an away game and paid for extra tickets for a 'fun family day out...NOT!) and I watched the replay of both games as I do each week

Stop trying to defend Cho. Next you'll be defending Brendon Bolton and Brad Scott.

I'm glad you keep mentioning Nathan Brown. If you are such an avid 'watcher' you'd know that Nathan is being dropped for his inability to defend and do his Number 1 job, not because he has low possessions. He has had many good games for us BUT it was the wrong decision to recruit a guy who was struggling to retain his spot in the Collingwood seniors when we were NOT in our premiership window. Full Stop!! Another Cho blunder

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 1:02pm I was at both games (paid for the North one as it was an away game and paid for extra tickets for a 'fun family day out...NOT!) and I watched the replay of both games as I do each week

Stop trying to defend Cho. Next you'll be defending Brendon Bolton and Brad Scott.

I'm glad you keep mentioning Nathan Brown. If you are such an avid 'watcher' you'd know that Nathan is being dropped for his inability to defend and do his Number 1 job, not because he has low possessions. He has had many good games for us BUT it was the wrong decision to recruit a guy who was struggling to retain his spot in the Collingwood seniors when we were NOT in our premiership window. Full Stop!! Another Cho blunder
So you've been to 2 games live? Good. That's a start. Defending Richo? You've got Allan on the brain. Just disagreeing re your reasons for Steele being dropped last year. Not Richo, but form at the time as I have described.

Recruiting Nathan Brown the wrong decision? I think most people that actually watch live games without their heads glued down at the stats would disagree.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It's ok. I understand that you have no clue what I value in a player. I was at the Demons game in 2017 at the G when we had a chance to make finals. It was a Dees home game and we started really poorly that day and fought our way back to be within a kick early in the last. NJB wasn't the only guy that cost us, but he certainly didn't help

Several times that day I saw Nathan make simple errors that a guy of his experience shouldn't be making. He missed the footy when he went to spoil, he got outposistioned and most damning for a Full Back, he failed to kill a ball and knock it out of bounds in a marking contest or knock it towards the boundary line and he actually punched it into the corridor. It resulted in an easy Melbourne goal and gave them back the momentum

Anyhow. Thanks for the chat

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 1:02pm I was at both games (paid for the North one as it was an away game and paid for extra tickets for a 'fun family day out...NOT!) and I watched the replay of both games as I do each week

I would very much like it if you referred to our former coach as Alan, Richo or Richardson. Thank you in anticipation. :D

barneyboyz
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 2:14pm It's ok. I understand that you have no clue what I value in a player. I was at the Demons game in 2017 at the G when we had a chance to make finals. It was a Dees home game and we started really poorly that day and fought our way back to be within a kick early in the last. NJB wasn't the only guy that cost us, but he certainly didn't help

Several times that day I saw Nathan make simple errors that a guy of his experience shouldn't be making. He missed the footy when he went to spoil, he got outposistioned and most damning for a Full Back, he failed to kill a ball and knock it out of bounds in a marking contest or knock it towards the boundary line and he actually punched it into the corridor. It resulted in an easy Melbourne goal and gave them back the momentum

To be fair, and not being critical of you, but no Full Back should be blamed for losses, it wasn't Shannahan's fault in 97 and it certainly hasn't been NJB's fault either. Dees were on a purple patch back then and Jimmy Harmes cut us a new one, and he wasn't playing at FF

History will ultimately see that Richo started our (and his) demise through 2017, it's quite simple really, once we start winning under a new coach

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
saynta
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 3:11pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 2:14pm It's ok. I understand that you have no clue what I value in a player. I was at the Demons game in 2017 at the G when we had a chance to make finals. It was a Dees home game and we started really poorly that day and fought our way back to be within a kick early in the last. NJB wasn't the only guy that cost us, but he certainly didn't help

To be fair, and not being critical of you, but no Full Back should be blamed for losses, it wasn't Shannahan's fault in 97 and it certainly hasn't been NJB's fault either. Dees were on a purple patch back then and Jimmy Harmes cut us a new one, and he wasn't playing at FF

History will ultimately see that Richo started our (and his) demise through 2017, it's quite simple really, once we start winning under a new coach
Not Shanahan's fault? Sure, that's why the club told him to f*** off and not come back. He went to the dees the next year, and I for one held him mostly responsible and was glad he never got to wear saints colours again.

AeonFlux
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 5:35pmNot Shanahan's fault? Sure, that's why the club told him to f*** off and not come back. He went to the dees the next year, and I for one held him mostly responsible and was glad he never got to wear saints colours again.
:shock:

Ouch!

Almost afraid to ask, but,

How do you feel about Gary Colling.......???????

ReMembering:
Image Image Image Image

----- Rodger ------- Nymeria ------- BakesFan ----------- Aaron
HarryM wrote: Nope never heard of them :roll: