Paton v McKenzie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Paton v McKenzie

Paton - 20yo, 186cm, 77 kg (Pick #46, 2017 National Draft) - avg 14.71 touches.
McKenzie - 23yo, 184cm, Weight 78 kg (Pick #22, 2014 National Draft) - avg 12.31 touches.

Remarkably similar players - reliable, mid-sized half-back flankers without any particularly notable skills or physical assets, but who would be dominant VFL players because of their reliability.

I struggle to find a place for both of them in our best 22 going forward, not least because they are so similar, and Nick Coffield will probably get opportunities in the coming year.

McKenzie has grabbed a three-year deal earlier this season, so he's safe in his career for a while. But is there a position for him if Paton keeps his place?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Re: Paton v McKenzie

It's all about list depth.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Both very good marks for their size too.

Vazelos
Club Player

I wouldn’t play McKenzie half back he can’t defend one on one and he hasn’t the foot skills for that key position. He has elite running skills is strong and a competitive beast he is best as a run with tagger role in mid field. Half back you need to be a classy ball user that’s not in his skill set.
Paton is still young he has done well and will keep improving. Has played only a handful of games but has done quite well.
We found some players this year it’s been productive.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Don’t have to decide now... but I’d like to see a little more of Paton atm

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 29 Jul 2019 11:26pm Don’t have to decide now... but I’d like to see a little more of Paton atm
I'm a touch concerned about the rush to give DM a three-year deal; that seemed to fall in his lap...and Paton seems to have gone past him, albeit not by much.

Although Paton is young and raw, he may have a little bit more upside, but it's splitting hairs as they seem to do basically the same job and have much of the same attributes.

Then there's Jimmy Webster (188cm), Bailey Rice (184cm), Jarryn Geary (183cm), Shane Savage (185cm), Jack Newnes (184cm) Nick Coffield (191cm) who are all HBF's, but aren't quite like-for-likes as DM and BP are.

Obviously we all expect NC to move into midfield at some point, but I'm not sure BP has that capability based on what I've seen so far, and it was the move into defence as a u/18 that basically got him drafted.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote: Mon 29 Jul 2019 10:53pm...without any particularly notable skills or physical assets...
2017 AFL Draft Combine results

Paton ran the 6th fastest 20m, had the 3rd highest standing jump and the 2nd highest running jump at the combine.

https://www.saints.com.au/video/2017-11 ... ights-2411

Fast forward to 0:57. Paton plays on to himself with his right then casually bombs it off his non-preferred. I can't remember ever seeing anyone do that.

I would argue that Paton is the most physically gifted of the players we took in the 2017 draft. He and Clark are among the most two-sided players I've seen. Paton was the designated kicker for Country for a reason. He might not be carving up AFL sides with his footskills yet, but once he's adjusted to the level, I'm very confident in his abilities.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I’d go for Paton at the moment over McKenzie.

And next year with some injuries back, if selection came down to one spot for either Geary or Paton, I’d go Paton. Much more upside, much better with the ball.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I’m liking the look of Paton. Good hands and seems to make good decisions.

StPeter
Club Player

i am not convinced that McKenzie will make it as an AFL player.

Richo was a big supporter of his. Not sure he would have got his 3 year contract if negotiations had been at this point of time.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I seem to remember people used to talk about DMac in a similar way to how White's now talked about - when will he get his chance? tearing it up in the twos, etc.

Special
Club Player

StPeter wrote: Tue 30 Jul 2019 2:44am i am not convinced that McKenzie will make it as an AFL player.

Richo was a big supporter of his. Not sure he would have got his 3 year contract if negotiations had been at this point of time.
Richo tried his best to ruin our club. He loved rewarding mediocrity in spades

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Special wrote: Tue 30 Jul 2019 3:30am
StPeter wrote: Tue 30 Jul 2019 2:44am i am not convinced that McKenzie will make it as an AFL player.

Richo tried his best to ruin our club. He loved rewarding mediocrity in spades
Let's not engage in this fiction.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Paton looks better every outing. DMac has not had continuity and seems uncomfortable as a defender, possibly as a consequence.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Paton will be a player. I like his willingness to take a risk and open the game up. It doesn't come off every time, but when it does it's well worth the risk. We're a better team with him in the 22.

I like Daniel McKenzie, but he's gone backwards in 2019.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Tue 30 Jul 2019 9:18am Paton will be a player. I like his willingness to take a risk and open the game up. It doesn't come off every time, but when it does it's well worth the risk. We're a better team with him in the 22.
Good summation. I'd agree with that - he does take a few more risks than McKenzie.

Hoping his development continues.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote: Tue 30 Jul 2019 10:27am
Beno88 wrote: Tue 30 Jul 2019 9:18am Paton will be a player. I like his willingness to take a risk and open the game up. It doesn't come off every time, but when it does it's well worth the risk. We're a better team with him in the 22.
Good summation. I'd agree with that - he does take a few more risks than McKenzie.

Hoping his development continues.
Agree with this.

Paton slightly ahead and has far more potential.

He has good games whereas DMac has good moments,

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Paton’s pretty much already gone past Dmac. Could probably play through the middle a bit the more he develops. Reads the play beautifully too.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

This really should not even be a discussion. In order to be successul in modern football - you need two things (1) - a strong and deep midfield with flexibility and speed; and (2) footskills - especially in defence - that adequate enough to NOT turn the ball over. Case in point on Saturday night - Melbourne kicked 85 points for the game; we actually scored 85 points from their turnovers. It's simple - if you turn the ball over regularly - you'll get scored against (most likely heavily too).

So - Paton and McKenzie are kind of the same players. Except Paton has ably filled the shoes of Geary and is a much, much more reliable kick of the footy than McKenzie (whom is a Geary-esque ball butcherer of the highest order). It's absolutely no coincidence whatsoever that McKenzie's dropping two weeks ago has coincided with much better/safer distribution of the footy in our two wins.

I have no idea as to how or why McKenzie got a 3 year contract extension. I hope he's a depth player at best going forward.

Go you red, black & white warriors
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Paton is a footballer. McKenzie is an athlete playing football.
Paton is a year and a half younger and has only played 14 games.

Unfortunately for DMac he seems to have plateaued and does not seem to be getting much better as a footballer.

Right here and now Paton seems to have gone past DMac and would also seem to have more potential upside in him.

DMac is going to need to have a huge pre-season, and really think about how he plays and reads the game, to get back in front of Paton.

And Langlands is now hot on both their hammers, though Langlands looks to be more versatile in terms of what positions he can play..
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 30 Jul 2019 4:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 30 Jul 2019 1:03pm Paton is a footballer. McKenzie is an athlete playing football.
Paton is a year and a half younger and has only played 14 games.

Unfortunately for DMac he seems to have plateaued does not seem to be getting much better as a footballer.

Right hear and now Paton seems to have gone past DMac and would also seem to have more potential upside in him.

DMac is going to need to have a huge pre-season, and really think about how he plays and reads the game, to get back in front of Paton.

And Langlands is now hot on both their hammers, though Langlands looks to be more versatile in terms of what positions he can play..
Excellent post. What Paton intuitively knows as a natural footballer can't really be learned by a McKenzie type. Agree on Langlands - and he has speed to burn too (which is something regularly on display at Sandy but, yet to be showcased at AFL level). He's got some serious, serious wheels on him.

Go you red, black & white warriors
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Looks like there's universal agreement about Paton being better (natural ability) + more upside (three years younger).

...now what are we going to do with McKenzie and his three-year contract?

:shock:

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Tue 30 Jul 2019 2:34pm Looks like there's universal agreement about Paton being better (natural ability) + more upside (three years younger).

...now what are we going to do with McKenzie and his three-year contract?

:shock:
Probably extend it...

Nee!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote: Tue 30 Jul 2019 1:53am I’m liking the look of Paton. Good hands and seems to make good decisions.
Agreed.
Generally shows good composure most of the time and a good user of the footy.
I think his composure will only get better as he gets another 30 games under his belt.
I think we have found a reliable backman here. Am expecting him to blossom over the next 2 seasons.
The only question mark I still have will be his ability to shut down gun oppo players.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I think Dmac's ideal position is onball/ wing using his run as a weapon to break lines, not on a back flank or back pocket as he is not great in one-on-ones. Acres probably has that running role, so if Acres goes down, then Dmac would be a good replacement, if Steven doesn't get back into it.
Paton is a very good natural footballer and gets himself in the right position, plus good by foot..he could play back or forward,. Langlands is a natural too- seems to know where to run and be in the attacking position to take the ball.