List for 2020

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

List for 2020

With a new coach coming in i wonder how much this will change the playiing list come seasons end

- Will players such as White and rice, viewed by many as not given a go behind several of Richo's favourites change their thoughts and look to stay rather than move on hoping to get a chance
- Will favourites like Newnes and McKenzie be put up for trade or delisted?
- Jack Steven does he want to be here or if Geelong offer first round pick ( around 15-19 with concessions) will we be brave enough to take it
- Can we land a decent free agent ( who is fit)
- Will players such as Acres, Dunstan, Phillips, Long be given a decent chance to establish themselves in their preferred positions. Dunstan finally showing what he can do as an inside mid. Backline has been settled and performed ok this year.

Seems to me Richo and staff focussed a lot on what certain guys coudnt do , while focused on what other did ignoring deficiencies. Too many favourites, hopefully not with the next bloke.

My Guess
Out: Armitage (R) , Pierce, McCartin (R) , Roberton (R), Longer, Rowe

Trade bait if interested: Newnes , Sinclair, Steven McKenzie

Just MO

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: List for 2020

I would cut it deep, absolutely start again 2001 style

Get decisions right, you can be contending in 3 years, as we did in 04 (and like Bris are now)

Starting again with a foundation of elite talent allows you to build an era of sustainable success, something you need to win a flag.

At the moment, our core is not elite, it’s B Grade with some talented kids. That won’t get it done.

So out with those B Graders and in with talent.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2019 8:31pm I would cut it deep, absolutely start again 2001 style

Get decisions right, you can be contending in 3 years, as we did in 04 (and like Bris are now)

Starting again with a foundation of elite talent allows you to build an era of sustainable success, something you need to win a flag.

At the moment, our core is not elite, it’s B Grade with some talented kids. That won’t get it done.

Have the AFL granted us some concessions I don't know about? Where are the high draft picks coming from? Who are the FA's lining up?

I think our young core is already quite good and are the future. As you said in another post, the next coach needs more luck than St Kilda had this year.

We need to nail our first rounder, be smart & thorough with assessing FAs & RFAs in terms of quality / value to our needs. We will likely bring in two more mature agers with later picks.

We probably have about 4 players we could trade, the trick would be getting the right type of value. Sadly, none of those 4 would realise any first round picks. Live trading of picks will come into it big time for us this year.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

No 2nd or 3rd rounders this year and so that is one handbrake on how many changes can be made.

The number of medical retirements is not yet known. 2 seem likely and may be 3, though recent reports on Robbo have been more bullish.

Rowe and Armo to go.

How much any club wants any of our players would also be a factor. Many would be put up for trade if other clubs will give something halfway decent in return.

And then there is the very limited pool of decent FAs or UFAs made even shallower by those who will not want to nominate us.

So with limited picks, not much in the way or FAs or UFAs and our players unlikely to be in demand as trades it will be difficult to bring in many players who are already established as talented players.

With our lack of ammunition my guess is that the Saints will be scouring the lesser leagues looking for more mature-agers hoping to find another Wilkie or Parker or two.

More picks or players by testing the waters for Acres, Ross, Dunstan, Sinclair and some others. Not sure how fruitful that will be.

Our first pick you secure a decent young mid, that is if we do not trade it.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 16 Jul 2019 9:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2019 8:31pm I would cut it deep, absolutely start again 2001 style

2001? Not exactly a low bar...

It would be nice to think that the modern day versions of GTrain, Hamill and Co from other Clubs were coming our way and that we had just last year in the draft secured equivalents to Roo/Kosi and Powell with the modern day equivalents of Ball, Xman, Dal Santo, Maguire and Joey to join us this year via the draft.

Yes 2 years like that is a platform to build a team around, but sadly it is not going to happen.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I am sure Jack Steven had/has some mental health issues. Im no expert, but could it be that wrestling with the decision to stay or go in 2020 and his end of 2019 convo with Richo left him with conflicting feelings causing further anxiety

Watching Ablett play against us on the weekend, I remembered his last year at Gold Coast where he basically missed most of the back half of the year with a supposed injury. Or was it more of a case he didnt want to get injured before his move back to the Cats.

It will be a real kick in the guts if Stuv leaves.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
HighettMan
Club Player

Would you also recruit Brendon Bolton as coach to help with the green shoots.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Roberton is going to have another go.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I guarantee HM

Carlton will be contending before us, the coaching job there is seen as the most desirable coaching job since GWS in 2013. Which Cameron got.

BTW
Would hire Bolton in a heart beat, just not as senior coach.

Ape_Man
Club Player

Zed wrote:I am sure Jack Steven had/has some mental health issues. Im no expert, but could it be that wrestling with the decision to stay or go in 2020 and his end of 2019 convo with Richo left him with conflicting feelings causing further anxiety

Watching Ablett play against us on the weekend, I remembered his last year at Gold Coast where he basically missed most of the back half of the year with a supposed injury. Or was it more of a case he didnt want to get injured before his move back to the Cats.

You are most certainly not an expert.

Not even close.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Players have right of refusal on trades, but I'd approach our over-25s as a group and say we'd like to explore moving them on to a contender in exchange for draft picks and/or young players. The reality is, most of them aren't going to attract much of a return anyway, so they'll probably end up here regardless. It might be worth moving on somebody like Savage for a small return simply because we have way too many rebounding defenders as it is and he's unlikely to ever play for a St Kilda finals team. Carlisle is another one who stands out as being potentially attractive to a contender and turns 28 later this year.

Ideally, we'd like to have more early picks than just the one. It'd be nice if we put an end to the questionable practice of trading future picks without getting much in return. I'd much rather build up a war chest of draft picks than the war chest of cap space that keeps evaporating (or worse) every year.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintbob
SS Life Member

Delist, trade or retire the following;

Longer, Pierce, McCartin, Rowe, McKenzie, Brown, Armitage, Newnes, Rice and Savage.

Trade Steven to Geelong if that’s what he really wants.

Sack Hamill - he’s like Richo a great bloke but can he actually coach???

ace
Saintsational Legend

We have 42 guys on the senior list and 5 on rookie A and 1 on rookie B lists.
Darragh Joyce must be promoted off the rookie list or go into the draft.
My understanding is the senior list must be trimmed to 37 and rookie A to 4.

Alabakis is the rookie B so is safe unless considered not worth the money.
Callum Wilkie will expect to be promoted off the rookie list.
If Joyce goes that leaves just 1 rookie A slot.
Pierce, Langlands and Mayo could survive, not that I think Pierce will ever make it.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
ace
Saintsational Legend

The club can't trade players most players because to be honest they are the players who only get a game because they are at a bottom 4 club.
They would never get a game at a final 8 wannabee club.

The problem was never Richo, the problem was always the list.
It will remain the list.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Ape_Man wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2019 10:46pm
Zed wrote:I am sure Jack Steven had/has some mental health issues. Im no expert, but could it be that wrestling with the decision to stay or go in 2020 and his end of 2019 convo with Richo left him with conflicting feelings causing further anxiety

You are most certainly not an expert.

Not even close.
Perhaps closer than you think.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I don't agree we need a rebuild.
With a raft of players heading into the 50-100 game zone we will be thereabouts for finals if we can add some polish.
Coniglio, a Hill brother, a Crouch brother to add to the midfield alongside a hopefully fit Hannaberry and we are not far away.
Max King alongside Bruce and Membrey is a potent forward line.
Marshall, Battle , Wilkie, Coffield and Clark have all improved the side and are all young. Steele, Ross, Gresham, Acres, Billings and Dunstan are now core players.
If Lonie, Long, Parker, Sinclair, Paton and Hind continue to improve we have a decent team.

Nee!
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I'm not sure what the deal is with our supplementary picks (Rowe, Marsh & Mayo)??? I'd only keep Marsh at this stage, not sure Mayo is good enough and Rowe was only ever here for 1 year.

Longer, Pierce, Armo, White, Rice will not be on our list in 2020. Jack Steven will get traded. Newnes would be a fair chance to walk as a F.A.

Roberton and Paddy are both contracted so they will be retained on the list, but we need to be realistic about their ability to get on the park.

If the rumours are to be believed, we've got Constable, Abbott, B. Hill in coming, along with Cognilio, Crouch and B. King on the wish list. At this stage this might all happen, or none of it.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2019 11:45am I'm not sure what the deal is with our supplementary picks (Rowe, Marsh & Mayo)??? I'd only keep Marsh at this stage, not sure Mayo is good enough and Rowe was only ever here for 1 year.

Longer, Pierce, Armo, White, Rice will not be on our list in 2020. Jack Steven will get traded. Newnes would be a fair chance to walk as a F.A.

Roberton and Paddy are both contracted so they will be retained on the list, but we need to be realistic about their ability to get on the park.

If the rumours are to be believed, we've got Constable, Abbott, B. Hill in coming, along with Cognilio, Crouch and B. King on the wish list. At this stage this might all happen, or none of it.
Add Tomlinson.

Coniglio & Crouch probably the most unlikely.

King probably still a year away unless some complex deal gets generated.

Perhaps a settlement may be negotiated with Paddy & Dylan with the blessing of the AFL. Allows both to explore options. Hopefully Dylan remains at the club in a coaching or development role.

Agree with Marsh. I'd like Mayo to stay on for a pre season, then assess, keep a rookie spot open.

I don't want Abbot, I'd prefer Ryder or Jenkins & a kid from the draft to bolster our rucks & assist with Marshall's incredible development.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I would cut both Marsh and Rowe but keep the 19 y.o. Mayo as a rookie. Roberton and McCartin are both contracted so they will stay for another year. Trade Steven to Geelong, cut Rice, White, Joyce, Armo, Longer and Pierce. Look at offers for anyone on the list except for a few untouchables.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2019 11:53am Add Tomlinson.

Coniglio & Crouch probably the most unlikely.

King probably still a year away unless some complex deal gets generated.

Perhaps a settlement may be negotiated with Paddy & Dylan with the blessing of the AFL. Allows both to explore options. Hopefully Dylan remains at the club in a coaching or development role.

Agree with Marsh. I'd like Mayo to stay on for a pre season, then assess, keep a rookie spot open.

I don't want Abbot, I'd prefer Ryder or Jenkins & a kid from the draft to bolster our rucks & assist with Marshall's incredible development.
Agree with a kid from the draft or other young fella - Draper??? - as a development option. I also think Goldstein is worthy of consideration as a mature one or two year back-up option.