TRADE HQ: WHICH SAINTS ARE RIVAL CLUBS WATCHING?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintfox
Club Player

TRADE HQ: WHICH SAINTS ARE RIVAL CLUBS WATCHING?

is any one able to paste the news article for those that don't subscribe ?

Be the best you can ... If not have fun trying....
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: TRADE HQ: WHICH SAINTS ARE RIVAL CLUBS WATCHING?

I see two categories...fringe players who might be heading for the scrap yard seasons end but represent bargain value ....Weller last year etc.,
and young potential B or even A graders who are also on the fringe who haven't quite found their groove.

And then there is Ruckman, who seem to have an independent trading universe...breaking all rules..

So that's three.

So who are looking good...I've heard so much, spin (funny as...thx Linton) about bloody beaudy, rippa fella etc., I can't tell who is genuinely good or bad.. !

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
ss1986
Club Player

All I saw was a collage of three players - Dunstan, Steven & Newnes.

I laughed - if we got an empty bag of schmackos for Newnes I'd be delighted.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

saintfox wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2019 12:11pm is any one able to paste the news article for those that don't subscribe ?
Just a tip, use incognito in chrome and go here https://twitter.com/superfooty?lang=en

will let you open one heraldsun article for each incognito session and 99% of heraldsun afl stories are on there just have scroll down a bit sometimes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Herald Sun wrote: THREE SAINTS RIVAL RECRUITERS ARE WATCHING:
Jack Steven

Currently working his way back from mental health issues after having been linked to Geelong last summer. Those close to him say that trade hasn’t been raised again this year but at his best there are few better line-breakers in footy.

Luke Dunstan

Has frustrated Saints fans with his disposal at times but has bounced back to record four 100-ranking points games in his last seven. The club is keen to re-sign him given they need to bolster their midfield, not lose key players from it.

Jack Newnes

Out of the side last week after 123 consecutive games, so at this time of the year rivals would have taken note. But of all the lists out there, St Kilda is building rather than attempting to move on young players for picks and has little trade bait.

THREE PLAYERS SAINTS RECRUITERS ARE WATCHING:
Adam Tomlinson

Keep your eyes on this deal because the Saints have been keen for a while and Tomlinson is finally an unrestricted free agent. GWS wants him to stay but can’t pay him funny money, which the Saints might for a 194cm utility who often plies his trade on a wing and is a Melbourne boy.

Jack Martin

Need some outside class and finishing skills and are one of the clubs interested in him along with the Dogs and Carlton. Would have to pay up given they aren’t in the premiership window. Is he good enough for the cash they would need to depart with?

Stephen Coniglio

He doesn’t seem keen to go to St Kilda given he is in the flag window himself at GWS but having offered $1.4 million a year for Dylan Shiel, similar cash would be available for the two-way running, goal-kicking midfielder.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

If I was an opposition scout, I’d be enquiring about White

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

skeptic wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 1:22pm If I was an opposition scout, I’d be enquiring about White
I understand that he is talking to other clubs - can't say I blame him. The story I heard about his lack of communication from our head coach this year was somewhat disturbing.....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Tomlinson and Jack are chances at this stage.
Nigs no chance.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 1:52pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 1:22pm If I was an opposition scout, I’d be enquiring about White
I understand that he is talking to other clubs - can't say I blame him. The story I heard about his lack of communication from our head coach this year was somewhat disturbing.....
Very disappointing if true. Wouldn’t be very surprising to anyone though. It’s been clear for at least 2 years that he’s not favoured by the coach and he doesn’t seem to be afforded the same opportunity/leniency as others

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Here is the article from herald sun .com .au

"MORE IN sport

St Kilda struck out in the race for Dylan Shiel and now the Saints are fronting up again for Stephen Coniglio.

And it is easy to see why. I’ve got some serious questions over the club’s midfield.

With talk Jack Steven could request a trade at the end of the season and a question mark surrounding the likelihood of Dan Hannebery returning to his All-Australian best, I think they need to add two stars in order to compete with the top midfields in the league.

But that isn’t the only issue in the centre. It’s time to lock down some legitimate ruck depth.

Rowan Marshall has shown plenty of improvement this year and they’ve reportedly put a big offer in front of my old teammate Sam Draper from the Bombers, who is going to be a good player but still needs time to develop and rehab his recent ACL injury.

If that is the long term plan then in the meantime, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them make an offer to free agent Todd Goldstein.

That would see a genuine succession plan implemented, with Goldstein the perfect mentor to show Draper and Marshall what it takes to be an elite ruckman.

Paying Draper big money while he rehabs and develops is a risky plan. If it comes off they will look like geniuses. If it doesn’t they will cop it again.

It is disappointing Max King is going to miss most, if not all, of his debut season with injury.

While he is still developing, just his presence on the forward line will help.

The biggest winner will be Tim Membrey, who has punched above his weight for years, often taking the best defender.

Two players I’m watching closely are Nick Coffield and Hunter Clark.

When a club is lucky enough to get two draft picks inside the top 10, as the Saints did in 2017, they’ve got to nail them.

Both youngsters have showed some positive signs of late and the Saints fans will want even more of that in the run home.

Jack Steven

Currently working his way back from mental health issues after having been linked to Geelong last summer. Those close to him say that trade hasn’t been raised again this year but at his best there are few better line-breakers in footy.

Luke Dunstan

Has frustrated Saints fans with his disposal at times but has bounced back to record four 100-ranking points games in his last seven. The club is keen to re-sign him given they need to bolster their midfield, not lose key players from it.

Jack Newnes

Out of the side last week after 123 consecutive games, so at this time of the year rivals would have taken note. But of all the lists out there, St Kilda is building rather than attempting to move on young players for picks and has little trade bait.

THREE PLAYERS SAINTS RECRUITERS ARE WATCHING

Adam Tomlinson

Keep your eyes on this deal because the Saints have been keen for a while and Tomlinson is finally an unrestricted free agent. GWS wants him to stay but can’t pay him funny money, which the Saints might for a 194cm utility who often plies his trade on a wing and is a Melbourne boy.

Jack Martin

Need some outside class and finishing skills and are one of the clubs interested in him along with the Dogs and Carlton. Would have to pay up given they aren’t in the premiership window. Is he good enough for the cash they would need to depart with?

Stephen Coniglio

He doesn’t seem keen to go to St Kilda given he is in the flag window himself at GWS but having offered $1.4 million a year for Dylan Shiel, similar cash would be available for the two-way running, goal-kicking midfielder.
RE-for-AFL_650x90.png
RATE THE 2018 TRADE PERIOD

Score: 6/10

This period sure looks better now that Dan Hannebery is running around in Saints colours. They paid him a motza on a long-term deal. But in the end they basically gave up pick 39 for Hannebery, having got that pick from West Coast for Tom Hickey. So that deal stacks up on a pick front, if not salary-wise. Dean Kent was an excellent selection for only pick 65, then they nailed the draft mature-agers. Matt Parker (pick 47), Nick Hind (pick 54) and Callum Wilkie (pick 3 in the rookie draft) all get better by the week. Hannebery was the headline item, but the sum of the parts from this period could be huge win if pick 4 Max King emerges as an AFL star.
WHY CHAMPION DATA LIKES THE SAINTS

The Saints midfield is their biggest strength from a talent point of view, with seven players rating above average or average across the last two seasons

Saintly66
Club Player

True Believer wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 1:52pm
Don’t say that about the head coach you might get driven out of town, I was scolded when mentioning it on here (lack of communication/by getting to the point with a player) a couple of years ago regarding a delisting and how he dealt with it.