Saints 5-5 and in equal 7th

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Saints 5-5 and in equal 7th

Definitely taking that pre season after the 2018 season.

Well done to the club, coaches, players, etc. for riding the major storms and the injury toll the club has had.

We need a big performance in Shangers. 🍲🍲🍲

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
HighettMan
Club Player

Re: Saints 5-5 and in equal 7th

Yeah I thought the coach coached really well this week, starting at the selection table.

It was great to see him and the players after the gsme showing genuine love for each other with heaps of man hugs with every player. Clearly they love him.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
Annoyedsaint
Club Player

I’m calling you Richard from now on.

We are miles off it.
We’ve won one (yes, one) game well, with Essendon game another where we deserved to win. Other than that, could be two wins and second last.
The whole vibe stinks. You’re celebrating like we’ve won a flag.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Mods Please.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

No such thing as equal 7th. But I’m happy with 5-5 given our injury list.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 26 May 2019 8:56pm No such thing as equal 7th. But I’m happy with 5-5 given our injury list.
Correct in a way but we have got the job done so far under trying and difficult circumstances. Its a bit un-Saints like and workmanlike. Good job boys! 👍

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Annoyedsaint
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Sun 26 May 2019 8:53pm :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Mods Please.
If I go you go as well Fireman 🧐

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Bit harsh - A team which hasn't had it's All Australian Defender, it's #1 Draft Pick, A three-time (I think?) All Australian recruit, a defender we swapped a second round pick for, and it's two best players, including its captain and it's Centre Half Back for nearly the entire season, has won half its games in an extremely difficult season and people are angry.

We've beaten Essendon, Hawthorn and Carlton, and to a lesser extent Melbourne, and have blooded a raft of new players with our new full-forward showing a bit in the reserves, with Clark and Coffield probably ready to come back in and people aren't happy.

Wow, some people are hard to please. If I knew that we would have the injuries we've had this year there is no way I would've thought we'd have won 5 games out of the first 10.

I am one of few on here who don't believe that many of our long term injured will be back this season due to the nature of their injuries and limited pre-seasons, but in a way, it might be a blessing in disguise if they don't play at all/again this season.

We will turn the whole list over and be better placed next season. Guys we were never going to win more than 9 matches this season anyway, and we were always going to have to hit free agency hard at the end of the season anyway, so we may as well see what the youth and new faces in the team have to offer.
I think we have had a reasonably successful season so far myself.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sun 26 May 2019 9:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 26 May 2019 8:56pm No such thing as equal 7th...
If we had exactly the same points for and against there would be, but it's unlikely. After a few other considerations, eventually it gets down to a flip of a coin to separate teams. Eddie McGuire has to flip the coin, but only after his fingers have been covered in Vaseline.

HighettMan
Club Player

Annoyedsaint wrote: Sun 26 May 2019 8:53pm I’m calling you Richard from now on.

We are miles off it.
We’ve won one (yes, one) game well, with Essendon game another where we deserved to win. Other than that, could be two wins and second last.
Not celebrating like we won a flag. What a sooky thing to say.

You put a few of our best 22 in the teams that lost to freo and the crows and we are 7 wins. At least have a clue.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

I’m allowed an opinion, just so happens it’s opposite yours.
I would 100% sacrifice a win or two for the long term benefit of the club, not just tread water for another 5 years

ss1986
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 26 May 2019 9:06pm Bit harsh - A team which hasn't had it's All Australian Defender, it's #1 Draft Pick, A three-time (I think?) All Australian recruit, a defender we swapped a second round pick for, and it's two best players, including its captain and it's Centre Half Back for nearly the entire season, has won half its games in an extremely difficult season and people are angry.

We've beaten Essendon, Hawthorn and Carlton, and to a lesser extent Melbourne, and have blooded a raft of new players with our new full-forward showing a bit in the reserves, with Clark and Coffield probably ready to come back in and people aren't happy.

Wow, some people are hard to please. If I knew that we would have the injuries we've had this year there is no way I would've thought we'd have won 5 games out of the first 10.

I am one of few on here who don't believe that many of our long term injured will be back this season due to the nature of their injuries and limited pre-seasons, but in a way, it might be a blessing in disguise if they don't play at all/again this season.

We will turn the whole list over and be better placed next season. Guys we were never going to win more than 9 matches this season anyway, and we were always going to have to hit free agency hard at the end of the season anyway, so we may as well see what the youth and new faces in the team have to offer.
You bought the spin....

That was NEVER the plan... it’s a direct result of the club’s failure to even come within a bull’s roar of meeting its stated goals.

See the 2018 Annual Report. Makes embarrassing reading.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I love how 11th on the ladder is seen as success for some people! :lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Annoyedsaint
Club Player

HighettMan wrote: Sun 26 May 2019 9:09pm

We are miles off it.
Not celebrating like we won a flag. What a sooky thing to say.

You put a few of our best 22 in the teams that lost to freo and the crows and we are 7 wins. At least have a clue.
Guess what. Mcartin never in best 22.
Robertson won’t play again either.
Geary is serviceable at best. Gives his all but is limited with poor skills. Lonie has had a handful of good games in 4 years, Carlisle is the only A grader.
Hannebery is shot and isn’t going to influence anymore.

Not sure where this delusion of putting 1 player into the side will improve us greatly. Might mean Battle can go forward, personally he’s been bloody good down back and should stay there.

HighettMan
Club Player

ss1986 wrote: Sun 26 May 2019 9:10pm
samuraisaint wrote: Sun 26 May 2019 9:06pm Bit harsh - A team which hasn't had it's All Australian Defender, it's #1 Draft Pick, A three-time (I think?) All Australian recruit, a defender we swapped a second round pick for, and it's two best players, including its captain and it's Centre Half Back for nearly the entire season, has won half its games in an extremely difficult season and people are angry.

You bought the spin....

That was NEVER the plan... it’s a direct result of the club’s failure to even come within a bull’s roar of meeting its stated goals.

Stated goals shmoalz. Surely you re not going to embarrass yourself with the presidential accountant facade on game day. Do actually know anything about footy clubs.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

We are miles off it.
Well, we are not 2 and 8 and 2nd last are we?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 26 May 2019 9:12pm I love how 11th on the ladder is seen as success for some people! :lol:
The name of the game is winning and I never want to lose to Carlton, Essendon or Hawthorn again. Richmond are next on my list.

We need to get Clark, Coffield and White back into the side for mine.

The umps were great though! :D
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sun 26 May 2019 9:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
ss1986
Club Player

HighettMan wrote: Sun 26 May 2019 9:15pm

You bought the spin....

Stated goals shmoalz. Surely you re not going to embarrass yourself with the presidential accountant facade on game day. Do actually know anything about footy clubs.
Not my fault the club made this public:

Objectives and Strategies of the Group

The Group’s short term objectives are to:

• Be a top 4 side that is positioned to be a consistent premiership contender
• Redevelop sporting and social facilities at our Moorabbin premises
• Increase in our membership base and fan engagement
• Attract and retain high quality people into all on and off-field roles
• Develop a hallmark community engagement platform to direct meaningful positive contribution in the community
• Further develop our Foundation capable of supporting significant infrastructure and community initiatives
• Deliver sustainable cash profits through improving revenues from football and non-football related trading activities
• Have infrastructure and home match stadium returns the equivalent of our competitors

The Group’s long term objectives are to:
• Have more than 50,000 members
• Deliver annual profits year on year to enable investment into our key strategic initiatives that will underpin a prosperous future
• Be admired for our culture, built on a foundation of respect and accountability
• Have developed a working environment that continues to attract the very highest calibre of people
• Be a club that has meaningful relationships with our business and community partners

Makes dismal reading.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Would have taken 5-5 at the start of the year, guessed we’d have been 2-8.

But expectations changed when we were 4-1 and last 5 weeks have been underwhelming.

Hopefully can go 50/50 win loss for balance of the season.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I honestly don’t get it with all the whining and whinging on here. Really sick of it. Some are never satisfied with a win. Yeah it wasn’t great but I will always take that over a loss.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Unfortunately free agency is a joke as they all go to sides in the 8. We could offer $5m a season and they still won’t come. Ask North Melbourne (and us for that matter)

HighettMan
Club Player

ss1986 wrote: Sun 26 May 2019 9:22pm
HighettMan wrote: Sun 26 May 2019 9:15pm

You bought the spin....

Not my fault the club made this public:

Objectives and Strategies of the Group

The Group’s short term objectives are to:

• Be a top 4 side that is positioned to be a consistent premiership contender
• Redevelop sporting and social facilities at our Moorabbin premises
• Increase in our membership base and fan engagement
• Attract and retain high quality people into all on and off-field roles
• Develop a hallmark community engagement platform to direct meaningful positive contribution in the community
• Further develop our Foundation capable of supporting significant infrastructure and community initiatives
• Deliver sustainable cash profits through improving revenues from football and non-football related trading activities
• Have infrastructure and home match stadium returns the equivalent of our competitors

The Group’s long term objectives are to:
• Have more than 50,000 members
• Deliver annual profits year on year to enable investment into our key strategic initiatives that will underpin a prosperous future
• Be admired for our culture, built on a foundation of respect and accountability
• Have developed a working environment that continues to attract the very highest calibre of people
• Be a club that has meaningful relationships with our business and community partners

Makes dismal reading.
Mate not reading anything longer than 3 sentences from you tonight cause I know it will just be s*** you have cut and past from a bloody financial statement.

It's game day. Lets crunch the figures another day and just embrace sport and a WIN.

If it helps think of a win as the binary number 1.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 26 May 2019 9:21pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 26 May 2019 9:12pm I love how 11th on the ladder is seen as success for some people! :lol:
The name of the game is winning and I never want to lose to Carlton, Essendon or Hawthorn again. Richmond are next on my list.

We need to get Clark, Coffield and White back into the side for mine.

The umps were great though! :D
Coffield...hell no. Knock the door down with 30 touches each week in the two’s then talk to me.
Clarke ticks that box. Gotta be able to find the ball at least at that level.
15-20 each week doesn’t do that at this stage.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Sun 26 May 2019 9:23pm I honestly don’t get it with all the whining and whinging on here. Really sick of it. Some are never satisfied with a win. Yeah it wasn’t great but I will always take that over a loss.
I guess it's more about other things than just this win. We are terrible..and we are trying to find out why.
but by all means if you want to languish in the short term buzz of a win against a pathetic opposition ..knock yourself out.
We are in trouble and for some time to come.
Sack this coach and let's move on.

ss1986
Club Player

Hilarious - as others have noted, when you can’t defend the indefensible without looking moronic, you choose to shove your fingers in your ears.

Keep up the good work Cairnsy.