The BIGGEST issue with our coach.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thecrevis
Club Player

The BIGGEST issue with our coach.

I don't follow posts on here religiously so forgive me if this is something that's been said already. One really worrying thing I notice about Alan Richardson in his interviews/ press conferences is that he always is able to DESCRIBE a situation: E.g, we butchered the footy, we didn't play four quarters, we didn't take our opportunities etc etc.

But you very rarely hear him describe WHY a particular state of affairs took place. I encourage you to ask "Why?" when listening to him make statements in press conferences and interviews. My contention has been for a long time that he's a decent player manager, but has very littlle capacity for tactical understanding. Some may argue this is the role of the assistant coaches around him. I would argue that this is something a coach needs to be absolutely brilliant at.

Why don't we maximise our opportunities? Why don't we have polish? Why doesn't he ever EXPLAIN the reasons for WHY particular events are happening.

Why are our inside 50 so bad an inefficient?

Why has our goal kicking been so terrible for 3 years?

Why didn't we take our opportunities?

He literally only ever talks in platitudes - "we'll review the game strongly", "we'll get back on the training track", "make sure we don't have these lapses next week", without actually articulating a sufficiently intelligent answer for what needs to be done.

And for the most part, particularly with inaccurate goalkicking and lapses - and I know this isn't only St Kilda this happens to- it's all in the player's heads. Get a decent sports psych in there or if they one already have them, replace them. And get a decent coach who can look at a game a footy and be able to not just describe, but to unpack the WHY.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: The BIGGEST issue with our coach.

No the BIGGEST is the lack of two truly gun mids. Players with poise, skill and sheer class.

Put two of those into our team and we would be winning more games.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Richo doesn't think his players are good enough. It's all their fault that the team keeps losing. He's just there to do the press conference after each game and to write a review on each player and where they stuffed up

If you don't have faith in your playing group and you continue to point out to them what their deficiencies are, then most probably after 5-6 years of listening to that, eventually they'll believe that you are right...or just not give a stuff

You can read over 20 threads that discussed similar coaching issues from the last 2 years. Here's one I prepared earlier;

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95972&hilit=account ... 5#p1747260

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

There is no doubt our list isnt the strongest, but when you can out play a GF favourite for 3/4 of the game and not capitalize, that's not players in the modern game that's coaching. Richo is tactically inept during games, the club knows it, we know it, his assistants know it but we are locked into his ridiculous contract. The sooner he departs the sooner Finnis and co will realise what a complete dud he is.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Come on guys, if you park the last 1/4 we were in it up to our necks.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
portosaint
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 19 May 2019 2:12pm Richo doesn't think his players are good enough. It's all their fault that the team keeps losing. He's just there to do the press conference after each game and to write a review on each player and where they stuffed up

If you don't have faith in your playing group and you continue to point out to them what their deficiencies are, then most probably after 5-6 years of listening to that, eventually they'll believe that you are right...or just not give a stuff

You can read over 20 threads that discussed similar coaching issues from the last 2 years. Here's one I prepared earlier;

Really dumped on Marshall's last qtr post match. I didn't like it... Very similar to the way he dumped on Clarke.

Some things are better said off the camera.

HighettMan
Club Player

A very good effort against this years premiership favourite from a yery young team missing thier Captain and half of its best 22.

The futute is bright for this very talented list.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

portosaint wrote: Sun 19 May 2019 6:48pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 19 May 2019 2:12pm Richo doesn't think his players are good enough. It's all their fault that the team keeps losing. He's just there to do the press conference after each game and to write a review on each player and where they stuffed up

Really dumped on Marshall's last qtr post match. I didn't like it... Very similar to the way he dumped on Clarke.

He never has and never will fully support his players publicly. What a smart coach would be saying is that Marshall had a great game for 3/4 against the best ruckman in the comp. He run out of legs today but we have huge belief in him going forward.

He has never supported players in the media and only once I can recall him taking responsibility for his role in the losses.

saintadamski
Club Player

HighettMan wrote: Sun 19 May 2019 7:29pm A very good effort against this years premiership favourite from a yery young team missing thier Captain and half of its best 22.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

saintadamski
Club Player

Or this!

Highett Man - you made my Sunday...THANK YOU! hahahahaha
Last edited by saintadamski on Sun 19 May 2019 8:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Alan, Alan, Alan....oh Alan....🎼🎼🎼

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
HighettMan
Club Player

The biggest issue is 8 players with under 20 games experience and a very significant injury list.

And NO captain.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
guitars4
Club Player

saintadamski wrote: Sun 19 May 2019 8:02pm Or this!

Highett Man - you made my Sunday...THANK YOU! hahahahaha
Now that is gold :lol: you should post more often at least we can get a laugh :wink:

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 19 May 2019 7:32pm

He never has and never will fully support his players publicly. What a smart coach would be saying is that Marshall had a great game for 3/4 against the best ruckman in the comp. He run out of legs today but we have huge belief in him going forward.

He has never supported players in the media and only once I can recall him taking responsibility for his role in the losses.
<edited by mods> Cho was sent to Murica, to Uni, at great expense.
'Leadership' course.
He and all the other students, each opened an envelope containing some tough love from a trusted employee.
Gears had written 'you keep telling us what we've done wrong, and not enough of what we've done right'

<edited by mods> Cho said later it was like a big slap 'having it written down, it hit harder'.

So, the club spent all that money to educate him.
Wasted.
He learnt NOTHING.
If he won't change for the club's good,
then the club needs to change HIM, for the club's good.
Change him for a better coach.

<1 day ban for use of a prohibited term that has been categorised as demeaning the coach and continual use will result in more severe bans>

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Mon 20 May 2019 5:25am
Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 19 May 2019 7:32pm

The Cho was sent to Murica, to Uni, at great expense.
'Leadership' course.
He and all the other students, each opened an envelope containing some tough love from a trusted employee.
Gears had written 'you keep telling us what we've done wrong, and not enough of what we've done right'

The Cho said later it was like a big slap 'having it written down, it hit harder'.

So, the club spent all that money to educate him.
Wasted.
He learnt NOTHING.
If he won't change for the club's good,
then the club needs to change HIM, for the club's good.
Change him for a better coach.
Agreed but who would make a good coach?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

You know it might be his mental health. The poor results over a long time, the bad breaks with injury, Hannebery being a non event, the personal crises that Paddy, Dylan and Jack Steven are going through, plus others that we don't know about, and all in the last year of his contract. Watching Saturday's presser I couldn't help but feel for him. I hope we beat Carlton for any number of reasons but to give AR some good news is one of them right up the top.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

HighettMan wrote: Sun 19 May 2019 7:29pm A very good effort against this years premiership favourite from a yery young team missing thier Captain and half of its best 22.

+1

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 19 May 2019 4:21pm There is no doubt our list isnt the strongest, but when you can out play a GF favourite for 3/4 of the game and not capitalize, that's not players in the modern game that's coaching. Richo is tactically inept during games, the club knows it, we know it, his assistants know it but we are locked into his ridiculous contract. The sooner he departs the sooner Finnis and co will realise what a complete dud he is.
Yes. He should instruct them to kick 8.3 instead of 3.8. Genius!

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We threw everything at them - out-tackled them and busted our guts for 3 quarters - but their class and elite kicking skills prevailed at the end.
You can't compare Collingwood's midfield with ours - even with Steven in it.

10 of their neatly-placed inside 50's are worth 25 of ours.

Richo could have said all the above - but would that have been more palatable?

We need to recruit elite A grade midfielders - land a few elite A grade big fish like the Hawks are doing. They are not relying on their "super coach."

Behind every so-called super coach there are genius recruiters and elite-skilled A grade players.

It's all about recruiting. Full stop.

Did Lyon improve Freo's kicking skills or did Freo go out and recruit Matera, Brad Hill, etc..?
Did Lyon improve Ball's kicking or did he give up on him (this is the no.2 pick we're talking about) and trade him out?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Apart from losing, I'm not enjoying watching us play.

Isn't that enough?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintadamski
Club Player

samoht wrote: Mon 20 May 2019 10:07am We threw everything at them - out-tackled them and busted our guts for 3 quarters - but their class and elite kicking skills prevailed at the end.

We need to recruit elite A grade midfielders - land a few elite A grade big fish like the Hawks are doing. They are not relying on their "super coach."

Behind every so-called super coach there are genius recruiters and elite-skilled A grade players.

Did Lyon improve Freo's kicking skills or did Freo go out and recruit Matera, Brad Hill, etc..?
Did Lyon improve Ball's kicking or did he give up on him (this is the no.2 pick we're talking about) and trade him out?
Samoht I've been with you all the way on this.

This absurd idea that the coach is literally responsible for the players abilities on the field is mind blowing.

I've played basketball and footy my whole life. When you have a team filed with real talent... you dominate. When you have the same coach but weaker players (which I have experienced again and again) ...you lose.

Like you said... we need A grade midfielders, and to finally remove players like Newnes from the list.

Josh Battle
Club Player

So when GWS came down to Melbourne last week and played Hawthorn who had more A grade midfielders?

Who had more A graders full stop?

Yeah, coaches are over rated.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote: Mon 20 May 2019 10:39am Apart from losing, I'm not enjoying watching us play.

Isn't that enough?
I don't agree with this, SP. In fact, this is the main difference for mine between this year and last. I AM enjoying watching us play. In fact, I feel this season is just like watching the saints of old (I mean REALLY old!!) - there are flashes of brilliance, really exciting passages resulting in hard won magical goals. And then we lose and go to the pub.

I'd rather we won, course I would. I'd rather we were well-run, well-coached with a massive membership and successful on all the usual measures. But I'm all right with the way the team's playing at the moment. I recognise it as the team I've always supported. Didn't recognise them last season - we were insipid. (Sadly, to be honest, I didn't recognise them through most of the Lyon era!) But I recognise them now.

That said, I agree with the OP. I'd also like to see us with a really good tactician for a coach, Caracella preferably. Though I'd settle for the romance of Lenny and/or Harves.

Sanctorum
Club Player

samoht wrote: Mon 20 May 2019 10:07am We threw everything at them - out-tackled them and busted our guts for 3 quarters - but their class and elite kicking skills prevailed at the end.

Spot on samoht, couldn't agree more and it was sheer bad luck that Dan Hannebery, a genuine A grader, has been out injured so far because his experience, ball skills and leadership may well have resulted in St Kilda winning some of the 4 games they lost.

Look at all of the other team lists and you will see that apart from the Gold Coast Suns, St Kilda is the only team without a recognised elite A grade player available for selection, in fact most other teams have quite a few. Little surprise therefore that the Saints have problems putting opposition teams away when they have an advantage on match days - on-field leadership is so crucial in the modern game.

Changing the coach, a topic that is raised on this forum with monotonous regularity, is unlikely to make the team play better. Rather, it is the current crop of players aged 22-26 that can be relied on to bring success in the future - Billings, Ross, Acres, Dunstan, Bruce, Membrey, Gresham, Marshall, Lonie, Battle, the list goes on...plus an exciting crop of youngsters recruited in the last 2 years, all of these will set the Saints up for te next decade. Sure, Richo may not be around to lead the club when they reach full potential, but right now he is doing as well as can be realistically expected.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

It's all about continuous improvement, we need to improve enough this year, in most measures, recruiting being one of those important measures, to the same amount of continuous improvement we could have expected over 2 seasons and that is to make up for last seaon.

We can tick the recruitment and development box for 2019 because it looks like we have added 3 AFL capable players to our best 22.

Marshall
Wilke
Parker

And a heap of other players have improved on thier 2018.

We have been cruelld by injury again but I think things will turn good for us in the back half and we could have a strong run home to make the season a success in terms of major improvement in a few departments. Winning a heap of games in the back half will create a good feel going into the pre season. We will pick up a few extra recruits, hopefully a DH type and some other AFL capable mids.

I enjoyed watching us play for 3 quarters against the Pies who are about to enter a very, very dominant era in thier club's history.

The future is bright. It's a good list and building nicely.

Don't panic.