Saints a genuine finals chance?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Saints a genuine finals chance?

I'm 50/50 at this stage. Before the season I was not even thinking of finals but now I'm not so sure. I think we are realistically a decent chance to win the next 3 games and our draw towards the end of year provides some big opportunities to get more wins.

Could we just sneak in?
If only we beat Freo. Damn. We would be 3-0 and equal top. I'm glad we have shut up the lazy group think and fake news media for now also.

This footy season is looking like being a very strange one.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints a genuine finals chance?

Last time we won our first 2 was 2014 and we won the wooden spoon.

3 games against non-finalists last year does not even begin to give you an accurate indication of whether or not there has been major improvement.

We look a little better absolutely but it’s silly to start talking finals already

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

What happened in 2014 (5 years ago) isn't relevant to 2019. Completely different side, players, style, game plan, feeling, coaches, training ground, admin, etc. back then.

I don't think it's silly to talk finals. Goals need to be set and most importantly...reviewed. It's how the Saints will improve as a club.

I reckon Brisbane are a pretty good chance to make the finals based on their first 3 wins. It's not silly to talk about that either.

Anyway, guess we will see what happens but I'm glad the lazy group think and fake news AFL media completely wrote us off pre season. At the end of the day, I think every Saints fan has got what they wanted and thats definite improvement and a new look side, attitude and game plan.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

The next six weeks will give a very good indication of where we're realistically at.

Hawthorn, Melbourne, Adelaide, GWS, West Coast & Collingwood.

Two wins from those six would exceed most pre-season expectations, but anything less than 4-5 after nine games seems under whelming now.

Three wins and we are in the finals hunt at 5-4.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

As the Coaches say: One week at a time.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Plus whoever keeps reporting some of my posts to the admin on a daily basis then please send me a PM so I know how you are. Thank you.

:oops:

Nice that people care 'how' other people are going

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I shake my head in despair.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Not after yesterday's loss!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sanctorum
Club Player

Whilst the result was disappointing at no stage until 6 minutes to go did I believe St Kilda could not beat the Dockers.

This team is vastly better than the line up the Saints had in 2018, in all 3 games the 2018 version would have folded and been thrashed. To fight back into strong contention after being down by 5 goals in the 2nd term, and to stay within reach thereafter was a good sign. Most definitely the team missed Jack Steven, and both Jack Sinclair and Hunter Clark were hardly in the game. The Docker defence mostly outplayed the Saints forwards, and despite Rowan Marshall dominating the ruck (he is fast becoming a gun ruckman, his improvement is fantastic!) the Saints small brigade were well beaten in clearances. 21 scoring shots compared to 16 by the Dockers is another encouraging statistic...

I felt afterwards that the Saints despite playing poorly showed enough to indicate that they will win a fair few games this year, and will definitely take it up to the Hawks next Sunday.

I agree with the suggestions that Ben Long comes in for Kent, and Jack Steven for either Jack Sinclair or Hunter Clark. I'm also wondering that against the Hawks, especially if Roughhead comes back, consider bringing in Lewis Pierce or Billie Longer, which will allow the Saints to deploy Rowan Marshall around the ground - he does that exceptionally well...

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

You’re asking if we’re a chance for finals

There is no indication of that based on what we’ve seen and trying to make a judgment call with the info available is irrational

I base my opinions and judgement on evidence...

Will 2019 be Paddy’s breakout year... based on what I saw I questioned his durability.
You pbly bet money on him for the Coleman because you like him.

He then got injured and all conventional thinking would suggest concussion number 8 would be problematic... u said it was a storm in a tea cup.
I was worried

Good for you though. You’re a nice loyal supporter with super positive opinions based on your feelings. I don’t base opinions on personal feelings
Last edited by skeptic on Mon 08 Apr 2019 7:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2019 5:49pm Whilst the result was disappointing at no stage until 6 minutes to go did I believe St Kilda could not beat the Dockers.

This team is vastly better than the line up the Saints had in 2018, in all 3 games the 2018 version would have folded and been thrashed. To fight back into strong contention after being down by 5 goals in the 2nd term, and to stay within reach thereafter was a good sign. Most definitely the team missed Jack Steven, and both Jack Sinclair and Hunter Clark were hardly in the game. The Docker defence mostly outplayed the Saints forwards, and despite Rowan Marshall dominating the ruck (he is fast becoming a gun ruckman, his improvement is fantastic!) the Saints small brigade were well beaten in clearances. 21 scoring shots compared to 16 by the Dockers is another encouraging statistic...

I felt afterwards that the Saints despite playing poorly showed enough to indicate that they will win a fair few games this year, and will definitely take it up to the Hawks next Sunday.

I agree with the suggestions that Ben Long comes in for Kent, and Jack Steven for either Jack Sinclair or Hunter Clark. I'm also wondering that against the Hawks, especially if Roughhead comes back, consider bringing in Lewis Pierce or Billie Longer, which will allow the Saints to deploy Rowan Marshall around the ground - he does that exceptionally well...
Hard to find anything there to disagree with you on, Colleague. Considering our "outs" the side did a more than reasonable job. However, the clangers are still a bugbear and we get punished for them each and every time.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Finals is a big possibility. We could be 4 and 2 by round 6 which is one more than I predicated. We will give the Hawks a real thumping this week.

Based on the evidence so far the coach haters must be reassessing the sacking round. My opinion is he's safe as houses, and that was before I read the Herald Sun.

guitars4
Club Player

I don't know what drugs you guy's are on but can you get some for me . What I've seen so far this year is encouraging but finals really !! . Be positive that's great but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves . At round 17 if we have 10 wins then we might be a slim chance until then just take it one week at a time. :wink:

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

guitars4 wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2019 8:55pm I don't know what drugs you guy's are on but can you get some for me . What I've seen so far this year is encouraging but finals really !! . Be positive that's great but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves . At round 17 if we have 10 wins then we might be a slim chance until then just take it one week at a time. :wink:
I'll have some of those drugs please.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

no

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm tipping 9 wins, notwithstanding some close losses like yesterday. So long as we are in all our matches that will be enough of an improvement this year given our long-term injury list.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

samuraisaint wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2019 10:12pm I'm tipping 9 wins, notwithstanding some close losses like yesterday. So long as we are in all our matches that will be enough of an improvement this year given our long-term injury list.
Agreed Ninja!
We will push a lot of sides and win many more games than some expected (especially a few of our supporters).

Total = 1.
guitars4
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2019 10:15pm
samuraisaint wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2019 10:12pm I'm tipping 9 wins, notwithstanding some close losses like yesterday. So long as we are in all our matches that will be enough of an improvement this year given our long-term injury list.
Agreed Ninja!
We will push a lot of sides and win many more games than some expected (especially a few of our supporters).
Nine wins is good Ted but you need at least 12 to make the finals . :wink:

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2019 3:53pm Plus whoever keeps reporting some of my posts to the admin on a daily basis then please send me a PM so I know how you are. Thank you.

:oops:

Nice that people care 'how' other people are going
I suggest you stop making up crap Scollop and trying to pass yourself off as an ITK and people may refrain from reporting your contributions 😉

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

We play the Hawks this Sunday which will be our first free to air game. Hopefully it's not a repeat of our first free to air game last year on Good Friday.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2019 3:18pm The next six weeks will give a very good indication of where we're realistically at.

Hawthorn, Melbourne, Adelaide, GWS, West Coast & Collingwood.

Two wins from those six would exceed most pre-season expectations, but anything less than 4-5 after nine games seems under whelming now.

Three wins and we are in the finals hunt at 5-4.
I am confident that after playing around 22 matches we will know exactly where we are likely to finish on the ladder.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
Ajantis
Club Player

Lets just win more than 4 games at the moment !

:)

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

LOL - I wish - but not 2019.

2020 - watch out!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Profoundness of the day.

It's called a rear vision mirror for a reason.

Sanctorum
Club Player

That's a fair call Samuraisaint, 9 wins is within the capabilities of the current team, and once Dan Hannebery is fit, and Ben King gets a few games into him, the Saints could well have a strong finish to the season after the bye round...not forgetting that by then Jake Carlisle will be back as well.

All I really want this year is for the team to show some significant improvement and from what we have seen in the first 3 games that is certainly the case.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist