Richo safe as houses

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Richo safe as houses

Oh when the Saints!

Credit where credit is due. Alan has helped get the side up for 2 wins. No sacking on the horizon just yet.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
shrodes
SS Life Member

Re: Richo safe as houses

I'm sure this thread is going to go down well and not degenerate into 16 pages of infighting :D

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately after all the offseason changes, nothing much seems to have changed on the field re our game plan or execution.

IMO we’ve beaten two very ordinary teams and all it is doing is papering over the cracks and will keep us on track to mediocrity under Richo.

But again, that’s just my opinion, don’t let it offend you.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote: Sat 30 Mar 2019 11:14pm I'm sure this thread is going to go down well and not degenerate into 16 pages of infighting :D
I don't think it can degenerate these days, as we're forced to remain positive towards one another, no matter how premature, inflammatory or ridiculous people's statements may be....not that I'm suggesting anyone here would commit such a heinous crime! :lol:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I can't wait for the Ernst and Young and PriceWaterhouse reports on housing

Well done to the boys and seriously...tonght is for celebrating the win. Soak it up and build from here.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 30 Mar 2019 11:20pm Unfortunately after all the offseason changes, nothing much seems to have changed on the field re our game plan or execution.

IMO we’ve beaten two very ordinary teams and all it is doing is papering over the cracks and will keep us on track to mediocrity under Richo.

Sure - we've actually beaten three ordinary teams and one poor team (Suns) - if we include our practice match results. I know they don't count, but in the early part of a season, practice match form does provide a recent form indicator - more than last season's results do anyway.

I think we're a massive chance to win in Perth next week, as I always rate our chances against the Dockers, who are, admittedly another ordinary outfit - and after that Melbourne (the first 2018 finalist we'll play this season). I'll bet they're not looking forward to playing us. On current form, I'd say we're probably a better chance of beating Melbourne than they are of beating us.

The forward line is still not functioning as well as it could be, although that could change with confidence.

The list will have major renovations at the end of the season anyway as two of our starting 22 are under an indefinite cloud, as is Hanners, and they will need to replace Brown too.

One thing though - I'm sure glad we picked Bruce and Steele over Shiel and Smith from GWS. They are two things we did do right.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We’re on the right track but still think Richo is still gone at the end of the year.

Reckon Lethlean has someone already lined up.

Sounds like Dodge

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 30 Mar 2019 11:31pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 30 Mar 2019 11:20pm Unfortunately after all the offseason changes, nothing much seems to have changed on the field re our game plan or execution.

Sure - we've actually beaten three ordinary teams and one poor team (Suns) - if we include our practice match results.
But I still think we're a massive chance to win in Perth this week, as I always rate our chances against the Dockers, who are, admittedly another ordinary outfit - and after that Melbourne (the first 2018 finalist we'll play this season). I'll bet they're not looking forward to playing us. On current form, I'd say we're probably a better chance of beating Melbourne than they are of beating us.

The forward line is still not functioning as well as it could be, although that could change with confidence.

The list will have major renovations at the end of the season anyway as two of our starting 22 are under an indefinite cloud, as is Hanners, and they will need to replace Brown too.

One thing though - sure glad we picked Bruce and Steele over Shiel and Smith from GWS. They are two things we did do right.
I think next week will be our biggest test and show us where we’re at.

And I think the difference between our forward line looking good and ordinary is as simple as converting our opportunities. Bruce, Membrey and Kent kicked 5.7 between them, if that’s 9.3 then we win comfortably.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

why...just why

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 30 Mar 2019 11:36pm We’re on the right track but still think Richo is still gone at the end of the year.

Reckon Lethlean has someone already lined up.

Sounds like Dodge
With the injuries we have - and with them being ongoing - if we win 9 and are in a few others up to our neck - I reckon he'd be safe.
No Paddy, no Robbo, no Austin, no Longer, no King and no Hannebury - and if it stays that way, or gets worse as the season goes on - pretty hard to hold him responsible for recruiting and bad luck with injury issues.
We'd still need to win about 9 games though, or he'll be gawn.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well if Richo was safe, with the latest "Kiss Of Death" announcement he is now clearly gone!
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 31 Mar 2019 6:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
twirlyhair
Club Player

[/quote

Wow so sad you are. Chin up little fella and just try to get a smile on that dial of yours.

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Ha ha dude 2-0 and we just beat Essendum live a little you gotta enjoy the ride not just the destination :)

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Last year we were horrendous in the pre-season, then climbed over a weak Brisbane in round 1 only to be pathetic against North in Round 2, a trend that continued.

This year we looked far better prepared and sharp in the pre-season and regardless of quality of opposition are two nil.

Given the queries over Hannebery and injuries to Roberton & McCartin this is a very promising start.

Whilst the execution is still poor, we were so dominant we should have beaten Essendon by 40 points, the team is playing with passion and commitment at the moment.

Fair to bag the coach last year, but a bit harsh being negative right now. I certainly didn’t pick them to beat Essendon. Also enjoying Wilke & Parker and good to see Acres back.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 5:54am Last year we were horrendous in the pre-season, then climbed over a weak Brisbane in round 1 only to be pathetic against North in Round 2, a trend that continued.

This year we looked far better prepared and sharp in the pre-season and regardless of quality of opposition are two nil.

Given the queries over Hannebery and injuries to Roberton & McCartin this is a very promising start.

Whilst the execution is still poor, we were so dominant we should have beaten Essendon by 40 points, the team is playing with passion and commitment at the moment.

Fair to bag the coach last year, but a bit harsh being negative right now. I certainly didn’t pick them to beat Essendon. Also enjoying Wilke & Parker and good to see Acres back.
Very good and balanced post in a poor thread

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Has everyone forgotten that Carlisle is injured too?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 7:27am Has everyone forgotten that Carlisle is injured too?
Can’t write for everyone but I had forgotten

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
stonecold
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 7:01am
Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 5:54am Last year we were horrendous in the pre-season, then climbed over a weak Brisbane in round 1 only to be pathetic against North in Round 2, a trend that continued.

Very good and balanced post in a poor thread
Yes, very poor thread IMO!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 3:23am

Ha ha dude 2-0 and we just beat Essendum live a little you gotta enjoy the ride not just the destination :)
Haha, It’s hard to overly enjoy the ride when up ahead you can see the track heading off the side of a cliff!

stonecold
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 9:26am

Haha, It’s hard to overly enjoy the ride when up ahead you can see the track heading off the side of a cliff!
Try the 'Glass half full' approach, instead of
the constant 'Glass half empty' one maybe?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

After both games Richo has mentioned how having Kent and Parker has allowed Billings and Gresham to get up the field and gives us more flexibility (take that Weller). Against the bombers we should of won by 30-40 if goal kicking clicked. If things click for us against the dockers we will win. And I see a massive change in our play to last year and I see far more passion too. I think Richo will survive the year.

Captain Impossible
Club Player

While the game plan still doesn't look fantastic, it has changed. The defensive zone set up looks really strong and we've been able to hold the ball in the opposition 50 for longer periods of time.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

As safe as houses in the Gaza Strip.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

A bit of a mixed bag, we still turn over the ball a lot, but it was enough to account for the opposition thus far (the first 2 games) ... and what we lacked in polish and poise, we sort of made up for with plenty of heart and effort.
Which is always “pleasing”.

When we get “found out” ... is it always (or mainly) the coach’s fault or the game plan’s fault ?... I think not.
You need to look at every reason and weigh every factor.
I mean, if we had Collingwood’s or Geelong’s classy midfield, would we not be a vastly different proposition?
We can’t produce football at their level, because we’re not at their level (these teams have classier, more polished players, overall)..... it might have more to do with that, and less to do with the coach.

The coach can only do so much.
Gotta love the effort from the players, anyway!

twirlyhair
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 9:26am

You really are aptly named aren't you.