Richo on SEN this morning

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Richo on SEN this morning

Richo was on the debacle that is SEN's breakfast show this morning. Fair to say - as usual - didn't exactly get me exactly jumping around excited and fired up for the game ahead. How our poor players have any modicum of enthusiasm about getting out of bed to go and listen to him dribble on all day is beyond me. He's a walking cliche machine - a completely and utterly uninspiring human being.

Anyway - did hear him mention that "I won't be surprised if it's after the first 4 rounds when Hanneberry plays" ... "and that he almost has to be re-built" (as in, his body is so shot it has to be re-built). All of this delivered in the usual monotone and almost like it was no big news. I mean, WTF?

Fair to say - the initial $800K outlay this year doesn't exactly look like it will be producing an on-field dividend any time soon.

Classic Saints :roll:

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Richo on SEN this morning

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 8:55am Richo was on the debacle that is SEN's breakfast show this morning. Fair to say - as usual - didn't exactly get me exactly jumping around excited and fired up for the game ahead. How our poor players have any modicum of enthusiasm about getting out of bed to go and listen to him dribble on all day is beyond me. He's a walking cliche machine - a completely and utterly uninspiring human being.

Anyway - did hear him mention that "I won't be surprised if it's after the first 4 rounds when Hanneberry plays" ... "and that he almost has to be re-built" (as in, his body is so shot it has to be re-built). All of this delivered in the usual monotone and almost like it was no big news. I mean, WTF?

Fair to say - the initial $800K outlay this year doesn't exactly look like it will be producing an on-field dividend any time soon.

Classic Saints :roll:
PS - also said Marsh and Rowe won't even play VFL for a fortnight - have to do a mini pre-season; Acres has only played 1 VFL seconds practice match so, will need time. Austin is still underdone and a way away.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Was it pleasing though..?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 8:58am Was it pleasing though..?
Entirely displeasing.

I actually really feel bad for the players. It must be a terribly uninspiring place to be most of the time. No wonder they have to keep rotating different coaches around him - even just a simple change in voice, diction etc would have to make it slightly less unbearable.

GilsAuPair
Club Player

Strong. Positive. Pleasing. Leader.
Repeat.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Alan Joyce was boring. Gary Ayres not much better, but at least they were tough bastards

Richo is too soft imo. The fact that he comes out and admits that Hannas is a broken recruit points to my suspiscion that he probably felt he was broken even before we recruited him, but Richo didn't have the nuts to stand up to Lethers

saintkid
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 9:21am Alan Joyce was boring. Gary Ayres not much better, but at least they were tough bastards

Richo is too soft imo. The fact that he comes out and admits that Hannas is a broken recruit points to my suspiscion that he probably felt he was broken even before we recruited him, but Richo didn't have the nuts to stand up to Lethers

...and the circus that is the St.Kilda administration from the CEO down continues! :roll:

repta
Club Player

If Hanna's is shot (which everyone except the powers to be at StKilda knew). Heads need to roll.

Hanna's injuries are old man injuries. Hannas is an old man.

The Six Million Dollar Man or the Bionic Man still haven't been invented. There really isnt any way of fixing 'old'

saynta
Saintsational Legend

:roll: :roll: Disgraceful thread. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

<1 day ban: commenting negatively on a group of posters>

saintkid
Club Player

repta wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 10:16am If Hanna's is shot (which everyone except the powers to be at StKilda knew). Heads need to roll.

Hanna's injuries are old man injuries. Hannas is an old man.

The Six Million Dollar Man or the Bionic Man still haven't been invented. There really isnt any way of fixing 'old'
Well he has had 6 months of off-season time to get himself right and NOW we are told that 'he almost has to be re-built'?? What a joke! Heads should have rolled last year.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Most concerning is the admission that they were unaware of just how bad Hannebery's injuries were. What, if any due diligence was done? I guess it's only 800k a year for 5 years. Hardly a huge investment....... :lol:

THEN the admission that they were aware that he's hardly trained in the last couple of years!! I mean, who is aware of that - and then offers the said player 800k a year???

It's mind boggling

saynta
Saintsational Legend

What was Richo actually sad on SEN

"t Kilda coach Alan Richardson admits Dan Hannebery is struggling with his body.

The midfielder joined the Saints from Sydney in the trade period but is not yet ready to play for his new club.

Recent reports have suggested that prized recruit Hannebery would not be right to go until at least Round 4 but Richardson says the state of the 28-year-old’s body will push that St Kilda debut back even further.

“It’s all of the above,” Richardson said on SEN Breakfast when asked of the specific nature of Hannebery’s issues.

“He’s been getting sore anywhere to do with his legs.

“Particularly his calves and hamstrings, but as we’ve upped the load in terms of intensity, his body has just struggled.

“He’s had two years where he just hasn’t been able to put in the work.

“He’s gone out and played without great preparation because he’s been able to do that for a fair while, he’s a real warrior, he’s obviously been a champion player.

“I reckon it has caught up with him.”

Richardson added that the combative midfielder, who amassed 208 AFL games with the Swans, requires a reset.

“To some extent he needs to be rebuilt,” he added.

“I don’t think I did say Round 4, (but) I wouldn’t be surprised if it is longer than Round 4.

“It will take a while. I’m hoping it will be sooner and it will depend a little bit on how he responds but right now the response has been slow, the response has been consistent, and that is when we get him up to 31-32 clicks an hour, he’s starting to get wonky.

“That’s going to take time.”

The Saints coach was pressed further on the due diligence the club undertook before landing Hannebery on a five-year deal.

“We knew that he had stints where he hadn’t played,” he said further.

“We knew about his training history, or lack thereof, that he’d really struggled to get the time in.

“Did we think it was going to be as significant as this? No, we didn’t.

“But we did know that we were getting in a bloke that we needed, to some extent, to rebuild. Probably not to this extent, but that’s ok.

“He’s here for a long time, he’s not here for a short time.

“If it means he’s not with us for a month longer than we thought, that’s fine.

“We think overall he is going to be enormous for our group.”

As for what’s ahead, Richardson insisted that the St Kilda fitness staff are now well aware of how to get the three-time All-Australian up to scratch.

He said: “They’re confident now that they’ve got a handle on what needs to be done.”

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

After the Freeman experiment I'd say the decision to recruit Hannas reeks of incompetence

They have misled members and supporters and if this bloke can't get out on the park and perform to a high level for at least 15 games a year over consecutive seasons, then it is one of the most irresponsible decisions I have ever seen.

I'm glad in a way that Richo has stopped the fibs surrounding the recruiting of this bloke. Not sure if it was deliberate or accidental, but at least it is out in the open

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 10:32am :roll: :roll: Disgraceful thread. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Why is it a "disgraceful thread"? Are you annoyed that I made note of Richo's terrible diction and monotone? That it is utterly uninspiring as a supporter and/or player to listen to that for 15 mins let alone all day at your workplace?

Or did I somehow misconstrue what Richo said regarding Hanneberry and Marsh and Rowe and Acres and Austin? Reading the transcript back ... that simply can't be.

So - again - why is it a disgraceful thread?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

If Richo wants to see out the season the best thing he could do would be to avoid all media contact. He is utterly disgraceful and an embarrassment to the club and its supporters in front of a microphone!

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Alan Richardson is desperately trying to hold onto his gig as an AFL coach.
Decisions are being made for the short term at the expense of the longer term.
He is now going into his sixth season as "coach" with the worst record in AFL history at around 33% win/loss ratio.
Matt Finnis is guilty of incompetence in extending his contract when it was entirely unwarranted.

I firmly believe Richardson is the kryptonite that sucks the life and energy out of the playing group.
It must be so uninspiring listening to his monotone drone year in year out.
Knowing he is in the crosshairs would understandably compromise his decision making.
I also believe this uncertainty and fear around losing his job would energetically be effecting the playing group.
The players confidence and decision making, goal kicking and skill execution would be affected by having a coach in this precarious predicament permeating the whole environment of the football club.

I do not believe Alan Richardson is suited to being a senior coach.
IMHO, it's not in his DNA to be a leader of men.
His communication skills seem to be limited to trite cliche's, his delivery as mentioned before is more uninspiring than anything else and he seems to me to be a follower of trends and incapable of innovation.

After five years as senior coach with a 33% win loss ratio, it's an inditement on the competence of those charged with making decisions that he is still there going into a sixth season.
People have bemoaned and complained about there being a lack of leadership within the playing group.
Who is to blame for this?

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 10:40am Most concerning is the admission that they were unaware of just how bad Hannebery's injuries were. What, if any due diligence was done? I guess it's only 800k a year for 5 years. Hardly a huge investment....... :lol:

THEN the admission that they were aware that he's hardly trained in the last couple of years!! I mean, who is aware of that - and then offers the said player 800k a year???

It's mind boggling
We are cowboys.
The chronicles of our terrible decision making in the last 5 years is astonishing.

Richo may be the face of it, but there are plenty of contributors.

I hope we get some value out of Hannas, but it is looking like a nightmare at this stage

He needs a rebuild? And we didn't realize that?

Top work Alan

Nee!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

It's sounding more and more like Hanners is in the same boat as Armo. They each played 15 games last year and had a very, very limited output. Armo is a about 2.5 years older but Hanners has played 41 more games in his career, so about 2 more seasons of AFL footy.

We may well be paying 2 cooked mids $1.5mil of our salary cap this year, and $800k for another 4 years after that for one of them. This year it would be about that same as what Geelong pays for Danger and Selwood.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Great interview by Richo. Good listening and updates.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I know many (possibly myself included in the group) think Damien Barrett is a flog, but I believe he sums it up best with the following.

If
a proper process – one where you make a lot of phone calls, ask a heap of questions and are prepared to listen to views counter to your own pre-set agenda – had been applied by Lethers ...

then
Hannebery might still be at St Kilda. But not on ridiculously massive money and term. And certainly not in the leadership group.

It's the huge money and length of contract I object to. I'm happy for the club to take a calculated risk on a player. But that contract is telling the footy world, we've just got a slam dunk. This guy is Dylan Shiel, or Tom Lynch. He's in his prime and WILL perform for us. Instead we've got Michael Gardiner, except this time we're paying huge overs in every sense.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 10:40am
Recent reports have suggested that prized recruit Hannebery would not be right to go until at least Round 4 but Richardson says the state of the 28-year-old’s body will push that St Kilda debut back even further.

“It’s all of the above,” Richardson said on SEN Breakfast when asked of the specific nature of Hannebery’s issues.

“He’s been getting sore anywhere to do with his legs.

“Particularly his calves and hamstrings, but as we’ve upped the load in terms of intensity, his body has just struggled.

“He’s had two years where he just hasn’t been able to put in the work.

“He’s gone out and played without great preparation because he’s been able to do that for a fair while, he’s a real warrior, he’s obviously been a champion player.

“I reckon it has caught up with him.”

Richardson added that the combative midfielder, who amassed 208 AFL games with the Swans, requires a reset.

“To some extent he needs to be rebuilt,” he added.

The mind boggles. Lethers and the ex-bank Salesman who are our two main decision makers evidently in list management both had not worked in recruiting prior .

Our current list management reeks of gambling over investing.

Our list was already in dire straights in terms of top-end talent, but yet the path forward has been paved with taking high risk players. You have to really question such a strategy when there were safer selections. Yes IF they all come off it could make a real difference, but if they do not then things are going to be very grim.

Now you can understand rolling the dice with later picks, but all of our more valuable selections/trades have injury flags.

- Hanna
- King
- Bytel

There is a pattern here of hisk risk selections. Now one yes, but all used 1st 2nd round picks.
Kent had injury concerns but was only a pick 65 trade.

I have no issue with Parker, Hind and Young as all were fit and later picks. Marsh looks to be an excellent late pick up, and I am even comfortable with Rowe as back up insurance.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 12:19pm Alan Richardson is desperately trying to hold onto his gig as an AFL coach.
He is now going into his sixth season as "coach" with the worst record in AFL history at around 33% win/loss ratio.
Matt Finnis is guilty of incompetence in extending his contract when it was entirely unwarranted.

I firmly believe Richardson is the kryptonite that sucks the life and energy out of the playing group.
Knowing he is in the crosshairs would understandably compromise his decision making.
I also believe this uncertainty and fear around losing his job would energetically be effecting the playing group.
The players confidence and decision making, goal kicking and skill execution would be affected by having a coach in this precarious predicament permeating the whole environment of the football club.

His communication skills seem to be limited to trite cliche's, his delivery as mentioned before is more uninspiring than anything else and he seems to me to be a follower of trends and incapable of innovation.

After five years as senior coach with a 33% win loss ratio, it's an inditement on the competence of those charged with making decisions that he is still there going into a sixth season.
People have bemoaned and complained about there being a lack of leadership within the playing group.

You are of course entitled to you view. I don't agree with you for one minute, and all this negative bulleshit does my head in

Here is what a St Kilda Employee said to me about Richo. I would much prefer to believe him.

"Just between you and me however he is an unbelievably good person whose knowledge of the game is the best I’ve seen in my time here. Really really respected by the players. Have no idea why it hasn’t worked....so far."

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 1:38pm
Aussie Jonestown wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 12:19pm Alan Richardson is desperately trying to hold onto his gig as an AFL coach.

You are of course entitled to you view. I don't agree with you for one minute, and all this negative bulleshit does my head in

Here is what a St Kilda Employee said to me about Richo. I would much prefer to believe him.

"Just between you and me however he is an unbelievably good person whose knowledge of the game is the best I’ve seen in my time here. Really really respected by the players. Have no idea why it hasn’t worked....so far."
Thanks Saynta. I've heard a lot of the same and seen a lot of the same. You know and I know the truth.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 1:40pm
saynta wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 1:38pm

Thanks Saynta. I've heard a lot of the same and seen a lot of the same. You know and I know the truth.
I highly doubt that employee has any idea or modicum of footballing knowledge, as Richardson has clearly not been able to put that purported knowledge into results.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Doesn’t Richo have a media ban? Did he go rogue & agree to be interviewed on SEN? Shades of Scott Watters prior to his sacking. What an embarrassing interview. No doubt the media loved it & grabbed a couple of anti St Kilda headlines. Like taking candy from a baby!