We all still love lenny

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

We all still love lenny

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Re: We all still love lenny

IMHO, Lenny Hayes would make an excellent senior coach.
If it were up to me I'd sack Alan Richardson today and appoint Lenny Hayes senior coach effective immediately.
I do not think you could find a more inspirational leader who would have the total respect of the playing group.
Absolute legend and quality personified.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
takeaway
Club Player

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2019 12:37pm IMHO, Lenny Hayes would make an excellent senior coach.
If it were up to me I'd sack Alan Richardson today and appoint Lenny Hayes senior coach effective immediately.
I do not think you could find a more inspirational leader who would have the total respect of the playing group.
Absolute legend and quality personified.
Agree re leadership, etc, but can he coach? Plenty of great players/leaders were not good coaches. Seems to have done OK as midfield coach at GWS but you would think a fews years as a senior assistant would be required.
If you are looking at ex Saints, I think Harves would be ahead.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

But how do you really know?

All of Richo’s experience and excellent interview doesn’t appear to have served us particularly well. Neither did Watters’... both highly recommended.

At the end of the day, all you can do is set up a process to recruit a coach and if you think they have it... give it to them and build the support around them.

My sense is... and it comes from Mission’s book, Lenny’s personality is one of doing everything above and beyond to get the right result in terms of training. He was also an inspirational Captain and leader. Those qualities bode well... he’ll constantly do everything he can to better himself

Experience he’ll get over time. Let him put on his show and if it’s up to the standard you’d expect, get him and put the experience and support around him.

saintfox
Club Player

I would appoint Robert Harvey as senior coach and bring Lenny and Xavier Clark in as assistants Keep Ratten as mentor. . Harveys done the apprenticeship

Be the best you can ... If not have fun trying....
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saintfox wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2019 3:39pm I would appoint Robert Harvey as senior coach and bring Lenny and Xavier Clark in as assistants Keep Ratten as mentor. . Harveys done the apprenticeship
Hhhmmm - I would vote for a raw Lenny over Harves any day - Sorry - but I think Harves is just too 'nice'. I have seen him sit and chat football with someone whilst his kid was playing basketball - and he did not tell the guy to f@rk off. I do not think Harves would have it in him to be brutally honest with the players - Lenny on the other hand - imagine coming off the ground after a dismal showing and having to look 'Len-Dog' in the eye and say "Yes coach - I gave 110%"

Harves as an assistant - you get my vote

Lenny in - Ratten to advise - Lenny to be Head Coach - inspiration - Carrot AND Stick!

Get it done!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
silverhalo
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2019 4:19pm
saintfox wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2019 3:39pm I would appoint Robert Harvey as senior coach and bring Lenny and Xavier Clark in as assistants Keep Ratten as mentor. . Harveys done the apprenticeship
Hhhmmm - I would vote for a raw Lenny over Harves any day - Sorry - but I think Harves is just too 'nice'. I have seen him sit and chat football with someone whilst his kid was playing basketball - and he did not tell the guy to f@rk off. I do not think Harves would have it in him to be brutally honest with the players - Lenny on the other hand - imagine coming off the ground after a dismal showing and having to look 'Len-Dog' in the eye and say "Yes coach - I gave 110%"

Harves as an assistant - you get my vote

Lenny in - Ratten to advise - Lenny to be Head Coach - inspiration - Carrot AND Stick!

Get it done!
I would be absolutely staggered if Lenny didn't coach the Saints one day - he will be a great coach, he has all of the required qualities and is universally loved and admired - you know he'd have the players on side from day one.

stonecold
SS Life Member

I wouldn't have any former St.Kilda player, Lenny, Robert or anyone else as coach, they have never played in a premiership, would rather someone with Premiership experience, full stop!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Myron Gaines
Club Player

stonecold wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2019 6:32pm I wouldn't have any former St.Kilda player, Lenny, Robert or anyone else as coach, they have never played in a premiership, would rather someone with Premiership experience, full stop!!!!!
How many premierships did Clarko play in?

Go through a thorough & well informed process & get the best available.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I struggle to fathom the selection of anyone pre-nomination and interview...

Now we’re throwing together arbitrary criteria like he needs to have played in a premiership and picking one set of unproven assistants over another

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2019 6:36pm
stonecold wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2019 6:32pm I wouldn't have any former St.Kilda player, Lenny, Robert or anyone else as coach, they have never played in a premiership, would rather someone with Premiership experience, full stop!!!!!

I'd have Lenny any day

With regard to process, I think Watters went through it all, but when we appointed Richo we basically handed him the job after we had a falling out with Choco Williams who wanted a five year contract.

On the subject of best available...how is long is Bevo signed for at the Dogs?

stonecold
SS Life Member

How many premiership coaches did Clarko play under or assist under?????

Myron Gaines
Club Player

stonecold wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 8:36am

Learnt the craft of coaching under Tim Watson if I remember correctly.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

My heart skipped a beat when I heard Lenny say "go saints" at end of his hall of fame speech. When the time is ripe...

stonecold
SS Life Member

Myron Gaines wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 8:43am
stonecold wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 8:36am

Learnt the craft of coaching under Tim Watson if I remember correctly.
Haha, no one else?????

We can all give limited information to support our theories!!!!!

Dennis Pagan ring a bell at all????? ;)