I didnt know....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ajantis
Club Player

I didnt know....

Hi,

As an AFL footballer, if you declare you have mental health issues and go public then you are void from all drug tests.
Interesting....

Cheers

St Loxton
Club Player

Re: I didnt know....

Didn't know either.
I would like to know the reason behind that.
Potential loophole there.

happy feet
Club Player

Hmmm, who do we know who has done this?

Ajantis wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 12:40pm Hi,

As an AFL footballer, if you declare you have mental health issues and go public then you are void from all drug tests.
Interesting....

Cheers

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

There were certainly rumors abound when Buddy missed some time with mental health issue.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
mordiboyz
Club Player

Might have something to do with a lot of prescription anti depressants have ingredients which are similar to the illegal varieties.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

columbian marching powder
is easily the additive of choice in the eastern suburbs
and especially amongst the keep up ‘n out boondi set

good loophole

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Crossy66
Club Player

I think the afl just mimics society in general. Seems likerecreational drugs are the norm and it's all about keeping a lid on it and creating loopholes so it doesn't get out and damage the brand. I am sure i read somewhere that 40 or sydney players are exempted on these mental grounds.
Pill testing will be next

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Heaps of players are on the good stuff in the AFL. We are kidding ourselves if we think these young blokes aren't dabbling in it here and there. I'd assume it would mostly be off season.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

And I didn’t know Tom Bugg was so good as a social influencer that he would quit football.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Social influencer...what the hell is that?
The world has gone mad.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

oops nothing to see here

apparently Jack Watts suffers from anxiety

Video way too graphic

Shaggy
Club Player

Goose is king wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 5:34pm And I didn’t know Tom Bugg was so good as a social influencer that he would quit football.
I am with you. So obvious.

Or are we are both wrong and he actually makes a fortune with his gf on insta lol.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 8:21pm Social influencer...what the hell is that?
The world has gone mad.
Narcissists need only apply

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

With one in six adults in the US now taking psychiatric drugs - and they are the ones who have been presumably been already diagnosed - and alcohol being more recognized as an ‘off label’ med itself, is there anybody, anywhere still swimming between the flags of what was once considered mentally healthy? I know I am not. They’ll have to define mental illness a new way every few years and I agree that AFL is covering its PC footprints in PR sand.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 4:49pm Heaps of players are on the good stuff in the AFL. We are kidding ourselves if we think these young blokes aren't dabbling in it here and there. I'd assume it would mostly be off season.
I'd assume you are talking about illegal drugs. Don't know why you'd refer to them as "good stuff"

The "good stuff" is apparently not what some might think it is according to Urban Dictionary

UD also have a different meaning to "good thing" from what I grew up thinking it was

Vazelos
Club Player

May explain why Buddy went public was on the powders for years.

minneapolis
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 11:43pm With one in six adults in the US now taking psychiatric drugs - and they are the ones who have been presumably been already diagnosed - and alcohol being more recognized as an ‘off label’ med itself, is there anybody, anywhere still swimming between the flags of what was once considered mentally healthy? I know I am not. They’ll have to define mental illness a new way every few years and I agree that AFL is covering its PC footprints in PR sand.
Hi Shane.

I am posting to bring some hope to the internet. It is a very bleak place sometimes.

My wife and I are both sane. We have never used any psychiatric drugs.

I used to think life was just wonderful and such a gift.

Now I tell my kids that it is very hard and keep trying, don't give up my lovelies.

I hope that you can find some solace in your life from time to time. Maybe in this little piece of heaven?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Wed 06 Feb 2019 7:55am
shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 11:43pm With one in six adults in the US now taking psychiatric drugs - and they are the ones who have been presumably been already diagnosed - and alcohol being more recognized as an ‘off label’ med itself, is there anybody, anywhere still swimming between the flags of what was once considered mentally healthy? I know I am not. They’ll have to define mental illness a new way every few years and I agree that AFL is covering its PC footprints in PR sand.
Hi Shane.

I am posting to bring some hope to the internet. It is a very bleak place sometimes.

Now I tell my kids that it is very hard and keep trying, don't give up my lovelies.

I hope that you can find some solace in your life from time to time. Maybe in this little piece of heaven?
Life's easy.

The key is to understand the difference between wants and needs.

The difference is vast.

You 'need' to eat, sleep, have somewhere to live, s*** and die. Can't be avoided.

'Wants' are nice food, a big king sized bed, a swimming pool, Foxtel, a cool job, 100 Likes on a post, your footy team winning, etc.

If you don't have the 'needs', that's not cool. Society drops the ball when people don't have the 'needs'. We should all strive to ensure that everyone in our world has the 'needs' covered.

As for the 'wants'? Well generally speaking - stiff s***. They are all relative and a figment of your own mind.

The problem is, that our 'wants' are too often determined by what we either see other people doing, and what we think they think we should be doing.

If you're working too hard, it's usually your own choice because you've confused the 'need' of feeding your family and providing them somewhere to live - with the 'want' of having three TVs and going on a holiday to Bali.

If you're upset that you had to travel Economy to Bali whilst your friend travelled business - just find new friends that are poorer than you and you'll instantly feel better about yourself. Perspective.

Life's easy. We make it hard purely because we give a s*** about what other people think of us.

I have 'wants'. Lots of them.

But I know they're 'wants', and I know I'm not entitled to them - and I know I'll almost certainly never get them.

I'm cool with it. I have my 'needs' covered, so s*** is easy from there.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Wed 06 Feb 2019 11:21am
Life's easy.

The difference is vast.

You 'need' to eat, sleep, have somewhere to live, s*** and die. Can't be avoided.

'Wants' are nice food, a big king sized bed, a swimming pool, Foxtel, a cool job, 100 Likes on a post, your footy team winning, etc.

If you don't have the 'needs', that's not cool. Society drops the ball when people don't have the 'needs'. We should all strive to ensure that everyone in our world has the 'needs' covered.

As for the 'wants'? Well generally speaking - stiff s***. They are all relative and a figment of your own mind.

The problem is, that our 'wants' are too often determined by what we either see other people doing, and what we think they think we should be doing.

If you're working too hard, it's usually your own choice because you've confused the 'need' of feeding your family and providing them somewhere to live - with the 'want' of having three TVs and going on a holiday to Bali.

If you're upset that you had to travel Economy to Bali whilst your friend travelled business - just find new friends that are poorer than you and you'll instantly feel better about yourself. Perspective.

Life's easy. We make it hard purely because we give a s*** about what other people think of us.

But I know they're 'wants', and I know I'm not entitled to them - and I know I'll almost certainly never get them.

Thank you!

In todays society we are all about the WANTS - but you left a NEED off the list - Companionship/Love

We have one Sainter_Boy and I have always referred to the quote - "In 50 years it wont matter the size of the house, the balance in the bank - all that is important is that you were a positive influence in a child's life". I hope we have been!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Crossy66
Club Player

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.
Charles R. Swindoll

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Wed 06 Feb 2019 11:21am
minneapolis wrote: Wed 06 Feb 2019 7:55am
Hi Shane.

Life's easy.

The difference is vast.

Nice philosophy rodgerfox, but each to their own.

Some people are content to live a simplistic life and some wish their legacy to be what they have built and achieved and how they impacted society throughout their life.

Without those who are prepared to put their balls on the line and build our SME's 4.6M Australians wouldn't have the option to earn a comfortable living and live with their needs instead of their wants.

Making money and building a business is not just about travelling Business class and driving a European car and having a boat and multiple properties, it is about what that business allows you to do with your family and how you can impact & improve society in general.

These things include supporting charities, sponsoring local sporting clubs, supporting those in need, working on local infrastructure and helping to improve where we live for future generations & it allows you to help insure your kids and their kids have opportunities such as a great education and university.

And some people actually enjoy working and feel fulfillment from what they achieve in their work environment. For some people their work or business defines them.

For me I respect most those who can achieve the balance between work, providing for your family and enjoyment.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Devilhead wrote: Mon 04 Feb 2019 10:20pm

Narcissists need only apply
you have just booked yourself a special place in online hell Devilhead

oh wait hang on - can i suggest a deal???

Seeya
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 06 Feb 2019 3:47pm
Nice philosophy rodgerfox, but each to their own.

Some people are content to live a simplistic life and some wish their legacy to be what they have built and achieved and how they impacted society throughout their life.

Without those who are prepared to put their balls on the line and build our SME's 4.6M Australians wouldn't have the option to earn a comfortable living and live with their needs instead of their wants.

Making money and building a business is not just about travelling Business class and driving a European car and having a boat and multiple properties, it is about what that business allows you to do with your family and how you can impact & improve society in general.

These things include supporting charities, sponsoring local sporting clubs, supporting those in need, working on local infrastructure and helping to improve where we live for future generations & it allows you to help insure your kids and their kids have opportunities such as a great education and university.

And some people actually enjoy working and feel fulfillment from what they achieve in their work environment. For some people their work or business defines them.

For me I respect most those who can achieve the balance between work, providing for your family and enjoyment.
I don't have a problem with any of that.

My point was and is, that if you judge yourself on what others are doing, and base your self worth on how others judge you - it's a recipe for misery, self-loathing and frustration. Because for every person that thinks you're hot, rich, successful or whatever - there's another 50 that think you're ugly, fat, a loser and don't have nearly half as much in the bank as they do.

It's why, in my opinion, society is generally unhappy, angry and self-medicating just to get by.

'Success' is relative.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with 'high achieving'. As long as you know that what you're seeking is a 'want', not a 'need'.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Allow me to indulge. (or don't)
I think that the difference between what you 'want' and what you 'need' is not a neat slice because they end up being the same thing. Although I never wanted a big boat with cocaine chicks by the pool in the Med because I knew I would screw up the registration or insurance for the said boat. it is useful to realize you can re-frame when circumstances (war, economic ruin, cancer, loss or impending loss of a loved one) cause it to happen. So it seems to me, that people can be absolute arseholes to each other in a work context, in an office, at a worksite etc., trying and vying to eat each other's souls on a daily basis, and yet those same people can help out each other in another context and make sacrifices for others' good etc.,

As for leaving a positive legacy, yes, it has only recently hit me that I have, may have blown that one. For the longest time, I assumed I had escaped that one, picked up a 'get out of jail free' pass, just by allowing myself the chance to 'experience life' rather than 'build A life' . All one could do in my 'liberated scheme' was be decent but... even then, you can be above-average decent and then one or two big mistakes or a persistent weakness can undo the good work. My old boss used to tell us apprentices, 'once you get stamped c%&'t, it is for good". A bit drastic and old-fashioned perhaps, but no doubt, the 'acceptance' before 'striving' model might leave a few pissed off bystanders in ones wake, not to mention cause you to come-a-cropper! So when the crap hits you, that might be when one falls back on stuff like, I had kids, I raised kids, I have kids etc., something, in all likelihood I will never be able to say.

As for drugs and the 'good stuff' I missed out on the one drug I think people of my generation and those younger (especially i would say those born between say '65 and '75/'80) thought to be not only a rite of passage, but as an elemental requirement to break the shackles of rigid conformities of earlier generations and feel the 'love man' . I assumed i would be too fragile to use E when I was young enough to roll the dice. and yet these days, I could walk into a pysch's office any day of the wek and come out with a bag of psych meds if i wished. I could tick enough boxes to qualify as potentially any number of mental maladies from bipolar to disorder-from-Tim-Buck-Too. ha...alas.

The things that make one depressed are too many to mention but one of the most crippling is realizing there is no access to expertise and that 'experts' have no data for you. Try asking the 'Financial Advisor' down at the bank, Centrelink, your local friendly financial institution etc., and see how far you get before you realize they don't have a clue and are reading from their own script. Maybe it is just our times. No faith in a 'truth' so to speak. So Donald trump can say, 'eat more bananas' and the only truth is, 'he said it, and we listened' and thus....

All the bullocks we get told as youths, 'don't compare yourself to others' , 'dreams come true if you want them' - there is some utility in them, going from point 'A' to 'b' perhaps, but they are not universals and I think there is an untold secret, 'When you know Santa doesn't exist, you are not supposed to tell anyone', and that goes through life. Just be grateful to be alive...and that I am most certainly and happily!!

Well, what a whining little pussy I am being!! Shove that! Loving the Saints, no matter how diabolical our situation seems to be compared to other clubs (woops, don't compare!) be grateful we have no relegation system, and be happy to be alive. Go Saints!!

Anyone take testosterone? just kidding?
Last edited by shanegrambeau on Wed 06 Feb 2019 7:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Life is easy is it?

Please..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.