Gears to stay skipper

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Gears to stay skipper

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/sai ... 50unl.html

Awesome news. Good skipper.

Dan H must be added to the group...surely. Make him a VC. The bloke is as solid as a Fijian coconut.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gears to stay skipper

The article indicates is likely to, rather than stating that he will...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Dylan could be a smokey if it weren't already decided.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Pity simply because I personally don't think he is always in our best 22. He has good games but also has some poor ones that would get other players some time off in Sandy. Can't fault his fitness or commitment just his consistency

Sombersainter
Club Player

If the coach can be reappointed with such a poor record, I suppose so can the captain.
If true, this suggests that not only is there is no regard to performance in re-appointments, but there is a dearth of leaders at the club.

mordiboyz
Club Player

I would prefer a joint captaincy with Hannebery

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Unfortunately that is about where we are at the moment would love it to be Ross,Steele etc!

PADDLEPOP1000
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 30 Jan 2019 11:19pm https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/sai ... 50unl.html

Awesome news. Good skipper.
Interested to understand how Geary can be judged a “good skipper”?

Personally I have no idea whether he is Captain Blood or a crying Kim Hughes.

I also think it fair to question whether he is a walk up starting 22 player.

Is it a bit Mike Brierly where he played predominantly as a captain?

I would suggest only the inner sanctum could respond and anything else just pure speculation.

Obviously win/loss or the way the team threw in the towel in so many matches last season is not the measure.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Looks like a 'Steady as She Goes' approach. Do you see him playing the same negating role in defense? And hypothetically, who would he be keeping out talent wise?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

No one imho.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Would be nice to have a skipper who is a lock for the best 22...

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Crossy66
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 1:25pm Would be nice to have a skipper who is a lock for the best 22...
The club sees him as a lock - one of the first picked i reckon.

I feel a bit for Geary, I think he would be very good through the midfield, perhaps as a tagger, but the team needs him down back more. I recall early days he showed alot playing up the ground.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

The fact Gears has been elected twice already (pretty much a third time it appears) to lead the club onfield speaks volumes IMO. These blokes play under him so there you have it. He is a natural and strong leader. As the inside AFL article suggested....the room listened when he spoke up. He has command presence. A very powerful weapon for any leader.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 1:50pm The fact Gears has been elected twice already (pretty much a third time it appears) to lead the club onfield speaks volumes IMO. These blokes play under him so there you have it. He is a natural and strong leader. As the inside AFL article suggested....the room listened when he spoke up. He has command presence. A very powerful weapon for any leader.
Good stuff. I’m feeling positive (...ish)

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Geary is very, very good at certain things.

Geary is bad at other things.

Opposition coaches coax us (and him) into situations where he is forced to don the things he is bad at.

Our coaches do nothing to prevent this from occurring.

It's like they sit there, and go "oh dude, Geary is having a blinder! He's had 17 kicks!! Wow."

Then turn around and say "WTF? We've had 17 more turnovers in the back half this week! Hmmm. We mustn't be being strong enough or something. Maybe we need more pressure?"

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 3:00pm Geary is very, very good at certain things.

Any examples of the way opposition teams engineer situations to expose Geary? And does he go on the bench much?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 1:50pm As the inside AFL article suggested....the room listened when he spoke up. He has command presence. A very powerful weapon for any leader.
The AFL article suggested Hannebery got the room's attention...I wouldn't be upset to see a co-captaincy, given Geary is often under attack in defence.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Cho & Geary.

I can’t think of a worse coach & captain combination in our entire history. Maybe the history of the competition.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 3:13pm
rodgerfox wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 3:00pm Geary is very, very good at certain things.

Any examples of the way opposition teams engineer situations to expose Geary?
If you watch many games you will observe that opposition teams leave him free in our backline.
ie The opposition coaches want us to switch the ball to and through him.

Contrast that to say Savage who really started to rip some teams up with his run and long-kicking. Result was that opposition coaches closed him down and set things up so that Geary was the St Kilda player free to be given the ball by team-mates.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 4:45pm

If you watch many games you will observe that opposition teams leave him free in our backline.

Contrast that to say Savage who really started to rip some teams up with his run and long-kicking. Result was that opposition coaches closed him down and set things up so that Geary was the St Kilda player free to be given the ball by team-mates.
Agreed. He is also a good reader of the play and falls back into clutch, rebounding positions but often fails to find the right target or effect a decent disposal. He is as disappointing as he is inspiring.

Crossy66
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 5:49pm

Agreed. He is also a good reader of the play and falls back into clutch, rebounding positions but often fails to find the right target or effect a decent disposal. He is as disappointing as he is inspiring.
[/quote

Turnovers in the backline get magnified because they result in the ultimate cost. Whilst he has had some doozies, i dont think he is as bad as many make out. I would love to see him move into the midfield. He can run all day and is hard at it.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 6:23pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 5:49pm

[/quote

Turnovers in the backline get magnified because they result in the ultimate cost. Whilst he has had some doozies, i dont think he is as bad as many make out. I would love to see him move into the midfield. He can run all day and is hard at it.
Still, I prefer it when he plays one on one in a stopping role. The additional rebounding tasks while his man runs to the defensive side of the forward line hasnt been a great success, silmilar to his captaincy.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I will be really disappointed if Geary is indeed going to lead the team for a 3rd year.

If the club saw a need for major changes in the coaching department, after such a poor team performance the last season and a half, then it should equally make major changes to the on-field leadership because it has been widely acknowledged by the players that they failed to perform to the best of their abilities. I was hoping Geary would have emulated Travis Boak's decision to stand down as skipper at Port Adelaide. The problem if Geary remains captain is that he is unlikely to be dropped if he doesn't perform, and at best he is only an average player.

Seb Ross is a much better player and has reached the age and experience to lead the team and deserves to lead a new look Saints team!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 6:56pm I will be really disappointed if Geary is indeed going to lead the team for a 3rd year.
.... he is only an average player.
He is listed as our 12th best in the AFL player rankings, but perhaps his stats are inflated by what Saynta suggested, that opposition deliberately allow him space to collect and then, hopefully for them, butcher the disposal.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Prefer others.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black