Hannebury Hurts Sometimes.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

David-Lee
Club Player

Hannebury Hurts Sometimes.....

High-priced Saint sent for scans after hamstring scare - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-19/hig ... or-setback

I have heard two significant board members voiced deep concern over Hannebury and his sustainability over 5 years. I hope they are so wrong for all our sakes, especially Dan.

We need him back to 30 genuine possessions a game, I just dont know, but there's no guarantees for any of the lads. Yet, there is this itch in the back of my throat that says a guy who has been injured two years running and is aged, may not be a best bet for 5 years.

I will say, my short 3 minute chat with him gave me the strong impression he certainly can provide leadership, even the captaincy.....now.
Last edited by David-Lee on Wed 19 Dec 2018 9:55pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hannebury Hurts Sometimes.....

Why, oh why, did we give him number 10???

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
guitars4
Club Player

He may well be fine & it's just a hiccup in his preparation but IMO It was always going to be huge risk paying him big dollars on a long contract for an ageing bloke who has injury issue's over the last 2 years.Let's hope it's only a minor setback .

barneyboyz
Club Player

Seems every move this club makes just divides the masses nowadays.

I hope he's fine and has a great season. Getting popcorn ready :wink:

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
saynta
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote: Thu 20 Dec 2018 7:37am Seems every move this club makes just divides the masses nowadays.

I hope he's fine and has a great season. Getting popcorn ready :wink:
me too.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote: Wed 19 Dec 2018 9:50pm High-priced Saint sent for scans after hamstring scare - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-19/hig ... or-setback

I have heard two significant board members voiced deep concern over Hannebury and his sustainability over 5 years. I hope they are so wrong for all our sakes, especially Dan.

We need him back to 30 genuine possessions a game, I just dont know, but there's no guarantees for any of the lads. Yet, there is this itch in the back of my throat that says a guy who has been injured two years running and is aged, may not be a best bet for 5 years.

I will say, my short 3 minute chat with him gave me the strong impression he certainly can provide leadership, even the captaincy.....now.
What are the insignificant board members concerned about? Hopefully they aren't as loose as the significant board members and voicing their concerns outside of the board room, especially on such trivial matters as puff pieces in the off season regarding hamstring awareness.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Thu 20 Dec 2018 10:03am
David-Lee wrote: Wed 19 Dec 2018 9:50pm High-priced Saint sent for scans after hamstring scare - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-19/hig ... or-setback

What are the insignificant board members concerned about? Hopefully they aren't as loose as the significant board members and voicing their concerns outside of the board room, especially on such trivial matters as puff pieces in the off season regarding hamstring awareness.
I'm a little confused.

What defines a significant Board member from an insignificant Board member?

I haven't read the charter or constitution but query does a "significant member" (cue Mrs.Slocombe) get additional voting rights?

Oh and we haven't seen this gem for a while ....

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Let’s wait and see what the scans say. They’re about to finish up for the Christmas break so he hopefully won’t be missing too much at all.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

The lucrative 5 year contract is the only guarantee. Our recruiters were prepared to roll the dice.

It might only be a hiccup, who knows - but chances are we will end up with a highly-paid, serviceable player at best (if his last 2 years are anything to go by)?

aaron82
Club Player

I wouldn’t be too concerned at this point.

Tony Lockett crossed to Sydney at 29 after 2 injury and suspension interrupted seasons with us and he turned out to be pretty useful there.

I’m not too fussed if we get just a serviceable player. Having him out there will allow others more of a chance to get off the chain ie: Steven

and that's the bottom line
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Word is is that Dan is training really hard (is a natural at this anyway) and he appears to have lost heaps of weight. Better to have an issue now and not in April next year. He will be fine.

All the list trains like maniacs at this time of year. Bodies are being tested to their limits so the odd player is going to cop an injury or two.

Carlton have already lost 2 players to knee injuries. It could be much worse.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

A lot of players in the 80s used to get shin splints in January from trying to run hard and pushing themselves too hard back in the 80s. I am not worried. Comes with the pre-season territory.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

the OP, I think, has taken a song title from REM...
"Everybody Hurts"
and REM stands for...Rapid Eye Movement,
he/she is maybe thinking a lot of supporters will be rolling their eyes at the news

"awareness" is what they're calling it.
Just means he can feel his hamstring more than usual, the new #10 is a pro,
he'll do regular stretching, will be fine.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 20 Dec 2018 12:24pm
Cairnsman wrote: Thu 20 Dec 2018 10:03am

I'm a little confused.

What defines a significant Board member from an insignificant Board member?

I haven't read the charter or constitution but query does a "significant member" (cue Mrs.Slocombe) get additional voting rights?

Oh and we haven't seen this gem for a while ....
A "significant board member" is a fictitious character that manifests itself and communicates via voices inside a person's head. Whereas as an insignificant board member is also a fictitious character however prefers to communicate via Bigfooty.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

No problems...
just like Freeman
Pick up players the most well resourced clubs couldn't get right
And tell us it was worth the risk, after it all goes arse-up!!!
Sort of like Lovett?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Fri 21 Dec 2018 1:47pm No problems...
just like Freeman
Sort of like Lovett?
In fairness, the club fixed Freeman completely before deciding he wasn’t worth more than 40 min of game time

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 21 Dec 2018 3:41pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Fri 21 Dec 2018 1:47pm No problems...
just like Freeman
Sort of like Lovett?
In fairness, the club fixed Freeman completely before deciding he wasn’t worth more than 40 min of game time
Ah well, they may also be good enough to cure Hannaberry of his alleged Buddy-like symptoms? :oops: :evil:

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Am I right in putting out the names of Judd and Jarman (Darren) when I think of players going to second clubs with a history of hamstring issues? I think Judd lost plenty of games at Carlton due to injury and as for Jarman I do it know, I got the impression they were both well worth it to those clubs respectively in spite of it.

I also think of Aaron Hamill because, by the time my fair-weather attention had come around again he was playing, but getting injured a lot and I never got the impression that he performed as a player consumerate with his pay check although for reasons beyond his control, as his courage and commitment were exlemparory. I hope Hanners can perform better to be frank, it I would not be surprised if after a good season or two, things might get sketchy. Anyway, still excited and hopeful.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

I believe the delisting of Freeman is an incredibly stupid decision.
He actually performed reasonably well in his first game and nailed a goal from around 35 metres from his first set shot as a mid. Then inexplicably he only received 55% of game time in his second game and then was dropped by Mr Kryptonite. After three years of getting his body right, I'd have backed in continued improvement rather than delisting him after one and a half games.

I also think the recruiting of an injury prone Hannebury coming off two very poor years is a very stupid decision.
To pay him $800,000 a year for five years and give up the second round pick in next year's draft is full on ridiculous.

How anyone can post "at least he came cheaply" is flabbergasting.

I sincerely hope HD proves all the doubters wrong!
Last edited by Aussie Jonestown on Fri 21 Dec 2018 10:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Give me a break, it seems we've deliberately recruited banged up players....at least 4 are on the sidelines......Hannebury with hamstring, King with a crook knee, Dean Kemp a shoulder and Blytel with chronic back problems.....

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

pick 2?
you mean round 2.
trade was Hannas and 28 for 39 and rnd 2 2019.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
guitars4
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Fri 21 Dec 2018 9:38pm pick 2?
you mean round 2.
I think we all know what he actually meant but in the big scheme of things you are right he was actually wrong .This site is turning into a nanny state :roll:

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Dan will be fine. Its December, lets see how 2019 pans out before we start bagging him out and the decision to recruit him.

Its very early days and the bloke is training hard, showing leadership and setting standards. A 2nd rounder and 800k (if that) isn't much to attract a 3 x AA from where we are currently at. He was recruited not just to get his 25 posessions every week as stated above. Anyway, deal was done and good luck Dan.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

guitars4 wrote: Fri 21 Dec 2018 10:59pm
you mean round 2.
I think we all know what he actually meant but in the big scheme of things you are right he was actually wrong .This site is turning into a nanny state :roll:
haha. the hypocrisy in your post is astounding.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
guitars4
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Sat 22 Dec 2018 12:39am
guitars4 wrote: Fri 21 Dec 2018 10:59pm
you mean round 2.
haha. the hypocrisy in your post is astounding.
Call me a hypocrite I really don't care .I only give my honest opinion on what I read that's what a forum is for .I don't hold any grudges or disrespect anyone's personal opinion because I know we all have the St.Kilda Football Clubs best interests at heart we just see it from a different point of view. Have a merry Christmas :wink: