Tears of joy for Matthew Parker after St Kilda offer a draft lifeline

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

theoracle
Club Player

Article from the West Australian. It shows what being drafted means to some people - we see a football player, a guy who might or might not make it - he sees a life chance, a way to change his whole life.

Mark Duffield The West Australian

There was tossing and turning on Thursday night, tears of joy yesterday morning and still some disbelief for South Fremantle’s mature-age draftee Matthew Parker after he was snared by St Kilda.

Parker, 22, who was persuaded to give football a serious shot by Bulldogs teammate Marlion Pickett in 2017, was selected at pick 47 yesterday.

He had enjoyed a stress-free evening on Thursday watching the first round of the draft unfold, knowing he wouldn’t get picked that early.

But the nerves set in when he went to bed ahead of a sleepless night and he was overcome with emotion — and disbelief — when his name was read out.

Not for the first time in recent weeks, Parker is struggling to believe this is really happening to him.

The former Melville junior had endured troubled teenage years and hadn’t knuckled down to taking football seriously until urged to do so by Pickett and former South Fremantle star Tim Kelly, who had a stunning first AFL season at Geelong.

They were the guides and inspiration for his football rebirth which suddenly came within reach yesterday.

“I tossed and turned all night,” he said.

“I was thinking I might be going in the rookie draft, something like that.

“Being the first mature-age player from WA to go in the draft just tops it off. My job now is to go after it, 110 per cent.

“I had just had a shower and had come out and was sitting there watching the draft and the Saints pick came around ... they said my name and I didn’t believe it.

“I said to my partner Shardah ‘they didn’t just say my name, did they?’ She just screamed and fell off the chair and the phone went crazy. I am still sitting here now thinking they didn’t call my name out.

“I burst into tears. The enjoyment is over the moon at the moment. To think that me of all people gets this opportunity.”

Parker had, with the help of Pickett, got a foot in the door at South Fremantle in 2017.

He has now played 27 senior games, kicked 39 goals and at 187cm and 79kg was one of the most explosive forwards in the WAFL this year.

Saints coach Alan Richardson believes his athletic pace and power will suit Marvel Stadium, St Kilda’s home ground.

“He had watched vision of me and he felt that the ground will suit my game,” Parker said.

“They took a chance on me and now it is my turn to repay them. I just have to give it everything and leave nothing out there.

“It isn’t just for me, it is for my boy Matty Jr and my partner — she is still in tears — as well as the Saints because they have given me this opportunity.

“I have never had stuff like this happen to me. The world is in my hands now.”

The sad irony is that Pickett, a 26-year-old mentor for Parker who had a stellar year for South Fremantle, wasn’t picked up, despite interest from Gold Coast, St Kilda, West Coast and Geelong.

The Oracle sees all, hears all, knows all.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tears of joy for Matthew Parker after St Kilda offer a draft lifeline

Great story.

I hope it works out for him.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

theoracle wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 9:07am

“I have never had stuff like this happen to me. The world is in my hands now.

I like it that he knows that HE is the one who has to make it happen now.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintadamski
Club Player

I believe that this guy could be the next dusty.
He has a similar way of moving, pace, and demeanor.

I feel from hearing him talk that he will give it everything he's got.

All he needs is opportunities from <edited by mods> ...but in this I fear, that all opportunities will continue to be given to Newnes and co.

<warning for use of forbidden term>

ace
Saintsational Legend

saintadamski wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 12:13pm I believe that this guy could be the next dusty.

All he needs is opportunities from the Cho...but in this I fear, that all opportunities will continue to be given to Newnes and co.
And tatts

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

It could go either way for this bloke, but surely the lure of being able to still have a 10 year career whilst earning life changing money for his family is enough for him to repay the faith and do the right thing.

Very exciting. He was probably always talented, but went off the rails a bit as he was growing up. There are so many very good players lost to footy we will never hear about.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Sanctorum
Club Player

saintadamski wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 12:13pm I believe that this guy could be the next dusty.

All he needs is opportunities from <edited by mods>...but in this I fear, that all opportunities will continue to be given to Newnes and co.
Fair crack saintadmaski, time to lay off Richo, put the last season behind you and focus on all the good stuff that the club has put in place off-field (and on) for 2019.

I am quite confident that team selections next year under the new coaching regime will be dramatically different to last season, with players under intense pressure to earn their spots. Given that in the past season and a half a lot of regular and experienced Saints players were out of form, this will be a great incentive to the likes of Newnes, Dunstan, Billings, Acres, Savage, Lonie and yes, our unheralded skipper Geary, and others to sharpen their skills and fitness levels.

Matthew Parker may well be the type of player St Kilda have lacked for so many years, he has that "x factor" about him, a game changer, and if that turns out to be true then the Saints are in for a great year.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saintadamski
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 6:55pm

All he needs is opportunities from <edited by mods> ...but in this I fear, that all opportunities will continue to be given to Newnes and co.
Fair crack saintadmaski, time to lay off Richo, put the last season behind you and focus on all the good stuff that the club has put in place off-field (and on) for 2019.

I am quite confident that team selections next year under the new coaching regime will be dramatically different to last season, with players under intense pressure to earn their spots. Given that in the past season and a half a lot of regular and experienced Saints players were out of form, this will be a great incentive to the likes of Newnes, Dunstan, Billings, Acres, Savage, Lonie and yes, our unheralded skipper Geary, and others to sharpen their skills and fitness levels.

Matthew Parker may well be the type of player St Kilda have lacked for so many years, he has that "x factor" about him, a game changer, and if that turns out to be true then the Saints are in for a great year.
We'll see...I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong about selection next year.

Regardless, I'm over the moon with these new recruits - for the first time in years, I can see mongrel and X factor...awesome!

ace
Saintsational Legend

Poor form is a euphemism for playing like Cr@p.
Good team selection does not accept Cr@p.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
chico2001
Club Player

ace wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 7:48pm

All he needs is opportunities from <edited by mods>...but in this I fear, that all opportunities will continue to be given to Newnes and co.

The new players have "maturity" on their side but they do not have much AFL experience so it would be wise to wait and see how they progress, a couple of them may not be the walk up start that some may think, and if they are not any better than Dunstan, Armitage and co then we are in trouble. I suppose one fact is a given, they are defintely quicker than some of the current crop. If we can get a Tim kelly out of one of them then it wont matter about the others. Pity the saints missed a trick by not grabbing Parkers teammate from a very strong south Freo side

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Pity the saints missed a trick by not grabbing Parkers teammate from a very strong south Freo side
yes

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saintadamski
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 8:08pm

The new players have "maturity" on their side but they do not have much AFL experience so it would be wise to wait and see how they progress, a couple of them may not be the walk up start that some may think, and if they are not any better than Dunstan, Armitage and co then we are in trouble. I suppose one fact is a given, they are defintely quicker than some of the current crop. If we can get a Tim kelly out of one of them then it wont matter about the others. Pity the saints missed a trick by not grabbing Parkers teammate from a very strong south Freo side
Umm, guys like Newnes have plenty of AFL experience...but do you think he should be a walk up start?

I'd choose one of these guys instead any day of the week!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

The thing that kinda reverberates with Parker is that he is playing for the right reasons. A light bulb moment switched him onto the fact that he had to try.

Now he has the opportunity and his motivation is centred around his young family.

I hope the club supports him so that he is free to really give it a crack. Help him get his off field settled. Wind him up and let him go so to speak.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
chico2001
Club Player

saintadamski wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 11:33pm
chico2001 wrote: Sun 02 Dec 2018 8:08pm

Umm, guys like Newnes have plenty of AFL experience...but do you think he should be a walk up start?

I'd choose one of these guys instead any day of the week!
No I dont. But in my way of thinking I am going to give him one more chance. As I have said previously, this will be his last year at the saints unless he improves dramatically. I think he can get a game because he has got a good skill set. Maybe Ratten can get the best out of him, but it is really up to newnes himself.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Newnes has proven to be a very durable footballer over his career. He is a bloke that can play a full 22 games of footy a year as proven by his career. You just don't delist blokes like that overnight. Part of the battle of list management is having guys on your list that can play all year. Newnes fits that bill. If he gets pushed out by better players then so be it, but he would still be a very reliable depth player if this happens too.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Total = 1.
saintadamski
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 03 Dec 2018 12:33pm Newnes has proven to be a very durable footballer over his career. He is a bloke that can play a full 22 games of footy a year as proven by his career. You just don't delist blokes like that overnight. Part of the battle of list management is having guys on your list that can play all year. Newnes fits that bill. If he gets pushed out by better players then so be it, but he would still be a very reliable depth player if this happens too.
Haha gold

Let's keep a guy because he never gets injured, no matter how poor they play.

Of course when you never tackle, mark, or do much of anything else, the percentage chance of getting injured are pretty low.

If it were up to people like you, we'd be serving up the same garbage all over again in 2019.... thankfully, it's not up to you

bigred
Saintsational Legend

How did this thread get onto Six Tackle Jack?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
takeaway
Club Player

saintadamski wrote: Mon 03 Dec 2018 12:53pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 03 Dec 2018 12:33pm Newnes has proven to be a very durable footballer over his career. He is a bloke that can play a full 22 games of footy a year as proven by his career. You just don't delist blokes like that overnight. Part of the battle of list management is having guys on your list that can play all year. Newnes fits that bill. If he gets pushed out by better players then so be it, but he would still be a very reliable depth player if this happens too.
Haha gold

Of course when you never tackle, mark, or do much of anything else, the percentage chance of getting injured are pretty low.

If it were up to people like you, we'd be serving up the same garbage all over again in 2019.... thankfully, it's not up to you
Hope the new guys make it in the higher grade, but we have no idea as yet until the real stuff starts. Newnes, as well as a lot of others, had a poor 2018, but the previous 2 years, when Saints were just out of the 8, he finished well up in the B & F both years.
So anyone who has the new mature recruits ahead of Newnes when training for next year has just started, is not showing much football judgement.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Thank you takeaway. Couldn't have put it better myself. He completely missed my point or has no idea.

Total = 1.
saintadamski
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Mon 03 Dec 2018 1:50pm
Haha gold

Hope the new guys make it in the higher grade, but we have no idea as yet until the real stuff starts. Newnes, as well as a lot of others, had a poor 2018, but the previous 2 years, when Saints were just out of the 8, he finished well up in the B & F both years.
So anyone who has the new mature recruits ahead of Newnes when training for next year has just started, is not showing much football judgement.
Ok so "good football judgement" is playing Newnes every week no matter how poor he is.

...and "good football judgement" is keeping players with obvious X factor, pace and potential out of the side...behind Newnes

...and 'good football judgement' is playing the same guys that haven't been able to make the 8 in years (but because they finished in the B&F in a bottom side)

If that's "good football judgment", I'd prefer to have VERY VERY POOR football judgement lol...please, KEEP your good football judgement - it's working wonders for you

takeaway
Club Player

saintadamski wrote: Mon 03 Dec 2018 3:55pm
Haha gold

Ok so "good football judgement" is playing Newnes every week no matter how poor he is.

...and "good football judgement" is keeping players with obvious X factor, pace and potential out of the side...behind Newnes

...and 'good football judgement' is playing the same guys that haven't been able to make the 8 in years (but because they finished in the B&F in a bottom side)

If that's "good football judgment", I'd prefer to have VERY VERY POOR football judgement lol...please, KEEP your good football judgement - it's working wonders for you
Obvious X factor? Who? - seeing we haven't seen them at the highest level? Newnes didn't finish high in the B & F in a bottom side- % outside the 8 in 2016 and one game out in 2017.
I would prefer to see the new boys operate for a few real games, before making any judgements - not banking on a few highlight videos. I'm glad your preference is to have very very poor football judgement, because you seem to have nailed it.
Again, I hope the new boys do very well, earn their spot, and make the side.

saintadamski
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Mon 03 Dec 2018 4:09pm
Haha gold

Obvious X factor? Who? - seeing we haven't seen them at the highest level? Newnes didn't finish high in the B & F in a bottom side- % outside the 8 in 2016 and one game out in 2017.
I would prefer to see the new boys operate for a few real games, before making any judgements - not banking on a few highlight videos. I'm glad your preference is to have very very poor football judgement, because you seem to have nailed it.
Who? you might want to watch a few more of their games than just highlight reels mate - obviously our recruiters have...

I could talk about how poor a player Newnes is with ease, but this discussion isn't about that - it's about going in a new direction that is desperately, and obviously needed.

Thankfully we are finally moving into a logical direction of players with X factor and pace...while guardians of the last 7 years of utter failure - like yourself, are protective of the arbiters who manifested that failure.

You seem to have some romantic embrace of the status quo, and are mistrusting of change.....good....you keep doing whatever makes you feel warm and happy inside....while the new decision makers understand that players like Newnes are NOT the future.

takeaway
Club Player

saintadamski wrote: Tue 04 Dec 2018 8:56am
takeaway wrote: Mon 03 Dec 2018 4:09pm
Haha gold

Who? you might want to watch a few more of their games than just highlight reels mate - obviously our recruiters have...

I could talk about how poor a player Newnes is with ease, but this discussion isn't about that - it's about going in a new direction that is desperately, and obviously needed.

Thankfully we are finally moving into a logical direction of players with X factor and pace...while guardians of the last 7 years of utter failure - like yourself, are protective of the arbiters who manifested that failure.

You seem to have some romantic embrace of the status quo, and are mistrusting of change.....good....you keep doing whatever makes you feel warm and happy inside....while the new decision makers understand that players like Newnes are NOT the future.
Ha Ha. You are the one who first raised Newnes, you are replacing him with as you say, "the next dusty", because of the way he moves, his pace, his x factor, as clearly demonstrated in his career at the highest level so far - 0 games, not even a practice game. Outstanding judgment and foresight, you should be in the recruiting game, ........though perhaps not. Make no mistake, I would be overjoyed if Parker turns out to be anywhere near Dusty, or a least a very good player, and establishes a spot. But as with the whole list, including recruits, there is a preseason to come, practice games, and then the real thing, and 22 spots up for grabs - they all have to show their worth, especially the new guys, who haven't experienced pressure in the big time. I am sure the club would be looking at it this way as well, not some wild guess before the boots have even been laced on.

I am certainly not averse to change, have supported the coaching changes and the late draft emphasis on mature players (see previous posts re lack of senior experience), but you need to give them some experience and prove themselves. The club does not have your notnostradamus touch.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Anyway, lets see how Parker goes. Hind, Parker and Young all look pretty good. Being in a professional AFL environment will instantly take their game to another level.

Total = 1.