Daniel McKenzie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

Daniel McKenzie

Daniel McKenzie:
22yo, 184cm, 34 games. Pick number 22 (2014 National Draft).
Won 3 km time trial 2018.

Where does this guy fit in?

Obviously has elite running endurance. Reasonably high draft pick. Entering the critical age bracket. If Geary is our small defender (one of the best), then where do we play McKenzie ?

summertime and the living is easy ........
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Daniel McKenzie

I know it won't happen but I thought on the few occasions he was forward this year he looked really dangerous. He has that chaotic, kamikaze quality that is hard to defend.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Gershwin wrote: Wed 28 Nov 2018 7:12pm Daniel McKenzie:

Obviously has elite running endurance. Reasonably high draft pick. Entering the critical age bracket. If Geary is our small defender (one of the best), then where do we play McKenzie ?
Could go either way and this is a crucial year... will turn 23 early in the season and has almost enough experience now...

His marking is starting to become a feature... he has enough speed and endurance.. and you cannot fault his effort... seems to just lack some of the intangibles of the game

He should really build to a new level next year. If he stagnates, then his proven standard is not quite good enough... So I hope he steps up

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

I like him but his disposal is fairly average and conservative, unsure if he can improve that to a level required. Defensive skills, marking and run are very good but lacks some polish at this stage.

St Loxton
Club Player

Great question,
I feel he could be a handy winger (Ideally if he was another 5-8cm taller) with that endurance and attack on the ball.
I like him, no doubt gives his all, and from memory is fairly quick.
He will for sure need to find another level to secure a spot.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

My prediction for our break out player this season

#1 Ryder fan
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I really like him, but his disposal is average at best… only room for one of him and Geary in the side at the one time IMO, who fortunately is 30 years old and entering the last year of his contract.

guitars4
Club Player

Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Wed 28 Nov 2018 7:34pm I like him but his disposal is fairly average and conservative, unsure if he can improve that to a level required. Defensive skills, marking and run are very good but lacks some polish at this stage.
Pretty good assessment IMO love his courage & commitment but lacks poise ATM but hopefully he gets better with experience .

dragit
Saintsational Legend

He has only played 34 games, so another 20-odd and we should get a feel if he'll make it or not.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Another player like Dunstan, Lonie and others who showed promise in their first year or 2 but couldnt get to the next level.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Do you get a sense both players you mention are also acutely aware of the very fine point you make, I reckon something clicked for McKenzie in that Suns game. If nothing else he bought a bit of energy & fight to the table at times when he got a run which was a florescent beacon in a sea of slumping dog turds at the time and granted, even the meekest offering in the energy and fight category would have shone brightly. Time will tell if he was stepping up or if those around were idling. An exciting sub plot in any case and I'm bullish it is the former.

bergsone
SS Life Member

I like him but like others cant see where he fits,make or break year or maybe a Geary replacement year after

Crossy66
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Wed 28 Nov 2018 10:05pm

Do you get a sense both players you mention are also acutely aware of the very fine point you make, I reckon something clicked for McKenzie in that Suns game. If nothing else he bought a bit of energy & fight to the table at times when he got a run which was a florescent beacon in a sea of slumping dog turds at the time and granted, even the meekest offering in the energy and fight category would have shone brightly. Time will tell if he was stepping up or if those around were idling. An exciting sub plot in any case and I'm bullish it is the former.
Have always thought he had talent, seems he has taken his fitness to the required level can see him on a wing. Hes quick , takes a good grab, hard at it, just needs to tidy up the kicking. Just one of a number that may have a breakout season

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

He was BOG in the TAC GF before he was drafted

He has the tools!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
chico2001
Club Player

A number of these guys you mention need to tidy up their disposal, at this stage some of them add no value because they continually turn the ball over and in the wrong positions on the ground. As the side gets stronger those who cannot do the basics well will be forced out. This may be a coaching issue as well.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote: Wed 28 Nov 2018 7:30pm

Could go either way and this is a crucial year... will turn 23 early in the season and has almost enough experience now...

His marking is starting to become a feature... he has enough speed and endurance.. and you cannot fault his effort... seems to just lack some of the intangibles of the game

He should really build to a new level next year. If he stagnates, then his proven standard is not quite good enough... So I hope he steps up
What are the intangibles of the game?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SuperDuper
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 28 Nov 2018 11:44pm
SuperDuper wrote: Wed 28 Nov 2018 7:30pm

What are the intangibles of the game?
I guess the intangibles are things like vision when you have the ball, anticipation when you dont, going to the right places, ability to turn out of trouble rather than into it, anticipation of where the ball is headed, reading the flight of the ball, choosing the right option that opens up play..

things like that

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Wed 28 Nov 2018 11:26pm A number of these guys you mention need to tidy up their disposal, at this stage some of them add no value because they continually turn the ball over and in the wrong positions on the ground. As the side gets stronger those who cannot do the basics well will be forced out. This may be a coaching issue as well.
Yes, spot on. If he is coached to play a certain way, or if certain weaknesses are not coached out of his game, the responsibility for this has to fall on the coach. Too many of our players are showing real potential and then go backwards, or don't develop.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

SO 2019 will be his fifth year on the list. So lets look at his numbers.
2015- 7 Games
2016- 9 Games
2017- 5 Games
2018- 13 games

2018 was his best year by a long way. Averaged 13.5 disposals, 3 tackles, 4 marks 3 inside 50's and 2 clangers with between 80-86% time on ground.

Had a purple patch between rounds 13-17 which included the wins against Melbourne, Gold Coast and Carlton. in amongst that he got 21 disposals in the loss against Port. 7 tackles in the Gold Coast game.

Strengths- Pace and endurance. Overhead marking. Strong in one on one contests with the ball on the deck.
Weaknesses- Field kicking. One sided. Decision making.

He is on the cusp of stepping out of the fringe. He showed in that patch of games that he can be a very solid defender. Probably has the weapons to play as an offensive wing man. I question his disposal efficiency going inside fifty. The whole list had that disease in 2018 however. But repeatedly turning it over going forward can not continue.

I believe that he can take that next step and eek out a 100+ game career. Realistically, after five years in the system, he should be at a point physically where he should be able to own a position. I'm still not sold on where that should be though. He is a decent intercept mark, very strong overhead, has great pace and closing speed. All of that really points to a back flank. In combination with Roberton, Jake and the Tasmanian bogun he should really be providing run out of the back 70.

So really, I think that his position should be across half back as an attacking defender.

He cannot afford to go backwards. If he does, it is curtains.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
barneyboyz
Club Player

Zed wrote: Wed 28 Nov 2018 9:47pm Another player like Dunstan, Lonie and others who showed promise in their first year or 2 but couldnt get to the next level.
I think some of these players simply plateau a bit and either stay there or improve. It is very difficult at the elite end to make that improvement, however he, Dunstan and Lonie have shown glimpses of improvement, with consistency being the next barrier. Hope they all make it, as they all show a desire to

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
chico2001
Club Player

barneyboyz wrote: Thu 29 Nov 2018 10:30am
Zed wrote: Wed 28 Nov 2018 9:47pm Another player like Dunstan, Lonie and others who showed promise in their first year or 2 but couldnt get to the next level.
I think some of these players simply plateau a bit and either stay there or improve. It is very difficult at the elite end to make that improvement, however he, Dunstan and Lonie have shown glimpses of improvement, with consistency being the next barrier. Hope they all make it, as they all show a desire to
And there would be 50-60 players a year across the AFL who get to that level, have done their very best and that's it. They then get delisted or traded. You need to have the basic skills down pat before you can improve by playing against the best and also some good coaching/teaching. They have all got desire/determination,some more than others. I think it is the physical characteristics with both of those guys that will hold them back. Dunstan is a tad slow and Lonie lacks the size to impact consistently, whilst McKenzie should hopefully improve this year because he does have some toe and can take a good grab on occasions.

barneyboyz
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Thu 29 Nov 2018 11:04am
barneyboyz wrote: Thu 29 Nov 2018 10:30am
And there would be 50-60 players a year across the AFL who get to that level, have done their very best and that's it. They then get delisted or traded. You need to have the basic skills down pat before you can improve by playing against the best and also some good coaching/teaching. They have all got desire/determination,some more than others. I think it is the physical characteristics with both of those guys that will hold them back. Dunstan is a tad slow and Lonie lacks the size to impact consistently, whilst McKenzie should hopefully improve this year because he does have some toe and can take a good grab on occasions.
Time will tell, eventually. I don't see Lonie's size being as significant issue as Luke's lack of speed tbh, but I see your point.

We have a handful of new players this year that will be doing their best to displace people in the best 22. If that means one, two or all three of Lonie, Dunstan and DMac need to move on (or whoever), then all well for the saints

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
outside66
Club Player

I disagree. D-Mac finished 10th in the B&F after playing only 13 games. D-Mac set for a big 2019

outside66
Club Player

Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Wed 28 Nov 2018 7:34pm I like him but his disposal is fairly average and conservative, unsure if he can improve that to a level required. Defensive skills, marking and run are very good but lacks some polish at this stage.
Don't understand why people think his disposal is poor or average. He was ranked FIRST for effective disposals this year (minimum 5 games played for the year). I don't think he is conservative either as he's one of the few players on our list that when he gets the ball, he immediately looks forward to get the offense going.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... t=LA&st=EP

the dome
Club Player

Wishing Dan all the best in 2019

With Dan Hans & Dan McK hopefully chalking up a great year in an' around the middle we should witness some progress in the 2019 version of the Saints.