What's Happening with McCartin?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

What's Happening with McCartin?

The herald sun article about Dan the man turning up early at Moorabbin today also mentions that Paddy has bulked up. :cry: What's up with that? I thought he had trimmed down and may even get some endurance into him. It doesn't look that way at the moment.

"Hannebery will skip the club’s 3km time trial at Bricker Reserve. Paddy McCartin, who has bulked up during the break, will also miss the time trial because the fitness staff has restricted the spearhead to only running on grass."

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 1541586874

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SuperDuper
Club Player

Re: What's Happening with McCartin?

I guess it is the foot injury he got, they dont want him pounding pavement

presumably he will still do some work.. he will just do it on grass...

ace
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Wed 07 Nov 2018 10:04pm The herald sun article about Dan the man turning up early at Moorabbin today also mentions that Paddy has bulked up. :cry: What's up with that? I thought he had trimmed down and may even get some endurance into him. It doesn't look that way at the moment.

"Hannebery will skip the club’s 3km time trial at Bricker Reserve. Paddy McCartin, who has bulked up during the break, will also miss the time trial because the fitness staff has restricted the spearhead to only running on grass."

Bulked up is a polite way to say he has put on more pudding.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Fri 09 Nov 2018 12:13am
Jacks Back wrote: Wed 07 Nov 2018 10:04pm The herald sun article about Dan the man turning up early at Moorabbin today also mentions that Paddy has bulked up. :cry: What's up with that? I thought he had trimmed down and may even get some endurance into him. It doesn't look that way at the moment.

Bulked up is a polite way to say he has put on more pudding.
Though I think the OP is questioning the HS article as all other reports, and pics, show him as having lost a lot of pudding and not having gained weight.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
barneyboyz
Club Player

Someone at The Hun has probably been looking at some 'old' photos, and wouldn't know the difference. I would expect and believe that Paddy is doing everything possible to make the improvements required of him. If not, then it probably is sayonara at end of 19

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yeah you could say that it is a throwaway comment without any basis of fact.

From the social media pics of the guy he looked considerably lighter.

The club website has a comment that Paddy McCartin is on a modified program but completed a running session with Dan Hannebery earlier in the morning. This was on the day they all did the 3km time trial.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

bigred wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 10:10am Yeah you could say that it is a throwaway comment without any basis of fact.

The club website has a comment that Paddy McCartin is on a modified program but completed a running session with Dan Hannebery earlier in the morning. This was on the day they all did the 3km time trial.
I'd also say the footage (still and video) shows that Hanneberry is considerably lighter too. He was always quite heavyset (almost looked like puppy fat rather than hard muscle) but he definitely looks gaunt in the face and much more toned in the arms and shoulders

Go you red, black & white warriors
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think the bigger question is what do we do with Paddy.

It was a very uncharacteristic year for him because his contested marking was down... previously a great pack mark, but I also noticed he worked harder to get hit up on the lead.

This had mixed results as he broke away quite often... more then he got credit for... but this new trait developed where the ball essentially bounced off his arms and chest when he won the contest.

The other thing that stood out with his marking was technique... too often he tried to mark the ball directly above his head.
It looked to me like that’s a trick that may have worked in the state comps where he was bigger than others but he exposes the ball to the opposition defender too much hence the easy spoils.

It was almost like he was trying to do a Tim Membrey with the problem being that Members has this high leap and plucks the ball out from the air away from the punch space

With the ball in the forward line he looked very uncomfortable... went from deadeye dick to having the goal yips. It reminded me a lot of Nick Riewoldt post fracturing his shoulder vs Brisbane.
He came back and was still a lovely field kick but highly uncomfortable with set shots.

This was also reflected a bit by his willingness to pass the ball inside 50m to awkward situations rather than have the shot.

It seems to me that the best way to use Paddy is either 1 out in the goal square, or have him lead up away from the 50m either as a decoy or have him bring the ball in with his lovely kicking.

I don’t think he has the speed or agility to play back plus I worry about him having to back into a contest

My feeling is however that he is better suited to the role of FF rather than CHF.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From today's herald sun:

"THE Saints say forward Paddy McCartin has returned in “ripping nick”, dropping about 7kg as he tries to reverse four seasons of injury worries."

DJ Higgins
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 12:44pm From today's herald sun:

"THE Saints say forward Paddy McCartin has returned in “ripping nick”, dropping about 7kg as he tries to reverse four seasons of injury worries."

I think it is a bit of a concern that he had 7 kgs to lose. Good luck to him all the same but he will crap his daks if we pick King or even better Lukosius

barneyboyz
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 12:44pm From today's herald sun:

Trying to reverse 4 years of missed development too. I hope he can get a good run at the pre-season, and take that into the season. Lets face it, the club really needs a fit and firing Paddy

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
chico2001
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 11:53am
bigred wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 10:10am Yeah you could say that it is a throwaway comment without any basis of fact.

I'd also say the footage (still and video) shows that Hanneberry is considerably lighter too. He was always quite heavyset (almost looked like puppy fat rather than hard muscle) but he definitely looks gaunt in the face and much more toned in the arms and shoulders
Agree he doesnt quite look right, although can probably run 10 mile without a breather. Doesnt look like he has touched a weight for a long time either. Cant see him busting open a pack any time soon. Early days though. The good part to my knowledge is that he has had no off season operation which could curtail his pre-season. So at this stage he may hit the ground running.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Yep hope it’s all part of the plan re Hanners being so sickly looking and he actually isn’t ill.

As for Paddy - why couldn’t have he dropped 7 kegs last pre season? I reckon he dropped a couple last pre season but it all goes back on during the season it seems.

I want to see Paddy in defence IF the lighter weight means he can run.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
silverhalo
Club Player

If we draft Kingy (God, I hope we do) then if Paddy makes no progress again this year, we need to look at getting what we can for him next year (maybe second rounder if we're lucky).

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Paddy is a bust. If he was pick 61 instead of 1 he wouldn’t been delisted by now. After the players are drafted the pick they were selected at means squat. Max King will be taking hangers over him next year.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Paddy a bust?
His career isn't even over yet. I'm backing him to have a good year.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Sun 18 Nov 2018 1:51pm Paddy is a bust. If he was pick 61 instead of 1 he wouldn’t been delisted by now. After the players are drafted the pick they were selected at means squat. Max King will be taking hangers over him next year.
I don’t agree he d be delisted if #61 after 4 years.

If Dean Kent can be on a list for 7 years for 60 games Paddy is worth persevering with.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Myron Gaines
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 18 Nov 2018 3:16pm
Myron Gaines wrote: Sun 18 Nov 2018 1:51pm Paddy is a bust. If he was pick 61 instead of 1 he wouldn’t been delisted by now. After the players are drafted the pick they were selected at means squat. Max King will be taking hangers over him next year.

If Dean Kent can be on a list for 7 years for 60 games Paddy is worth persevering with.
He’s an undersized forward that lacks athleticism. Really hard to see him become afl standard. Maybe he aims to be at the level of Chris Dawe & puts together 2-3 okay years before calling it a day. That’s about his ceiling IMO. Unfortunately he doesn’t have the talent nor the luck to be anything that resembles a former pick 1.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Forget the fact he was pick 1, that means nothing now. The questions that matter now are
Can he play at AFL level consistently?
Is he going to get better?
Is he in our top 22?

The sad thing is the answers are clear cut

spiral3
Club Player

Myron Gaines wrote: Sun 18 Nov 2018 3:22pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 18 Nov 2018 3:16pm

He’s an undersized forward that lacks athleticism. Really hard to see him become afl standard. Maybe he aims to be at the level of Chris Dawe & puts together 2-3 okay years before calling it a day. That’s about his ceiling IMO. Unfortunately he doesn’t have the talent nor the luck to be anything that resembles a former pick 1.
he isn't undersized, have you seen him up close?
I've seen him standing next to Goddard (196cm) and Bruce (197cm) and any height difference was negligible

ace
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote: Thu 08 Nov 2018 1:23am I guess it is the foot injury he got, they dont want him pounding pavement

presumably he will still do some work.. he will just do it on grass...
Put him out to pasture and move on.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 18 Nov 2018 2:03pm Paddy a bust?
His career isn't even over yet. I'm backing him to have a good year.
At Sandringham

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:Forget the fact he was pick 1, that means nothing now. The questions that matter now are
Can he play at AFL level consistently?
Is he going to get better?
Is he in our top 22?

The sad thing is the answers are clear cut

Let’s hope Richo has the balls to make a call on this if it becomes clear that others - Bruce, Marshall, Membrey for example - deserve a spot ahead of Paddy.

Selection has to be on form and I’m not confident that it will be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ace
Saintsational Legend

Paddy as excused from the 3km time trail when it was realised he would drop out after a few hundred metres or earlier.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

There's some putrid stuff within this thread.