Do you believe?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ss1986
Club Player

Do you believe?

Simple Yes/No for old mate Ted. I stand to be surprised.

Do you believe the club has done enough and is now headed in the right direction?

I say No.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Re: Do you believe?

The answer will and should always be no every year, but the club is clearly heading in the right and better direction based on our off field additions and on field changes. The process never stops or ends when you want to improve. That crosses the boundaries in all facets of life.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 3:48pm Simple Yes/No for old mate Ted. I stand to be surprised.

Do you believe the club has done enough and is now headed in the right direction?

I say No.

Why no? Some details would be handy.

Done enough in the time period where we have realised things are not going to plan, I think so. Can't erase years of poor recruiting but essentially we have a new: president, football manager, assistant coaches and a new potential senior player/leader. Couldn't do much more other than sack the coach (which has been driven by his long contract) and a new CEO. Add in Gubby.

I think enough. We'll see if we improve.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Nothing changes whilst the fool is still the head coach!

ss1986
Club Player

No - because those responsible for this mess are still employed at the club and remain completely unaccountable and unscathed.

What’s more - our trade period was extremely poor. Not here to argue about whether it was a B or an F... but it was not good.

Whiskey
Club Player

No. Richo and finiss still in charge. Not enough mediocre players shown the door. The word aggressive used for trade period wasnt even close.
I feel we re in for more of the same

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Yes, for this trade session. But there is still more work to do. Still need to not mess up pick 4 and draft in some serious talent

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 3:48pm Simple Yes/No for old mate Ted. I stand to be surprised.

I say No.
No of course it hasn't done enough but it has made a start and is now heading in the right (upward) direction.

In my view that is.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 4:09pm No - because those responsible for this mess are still employed at the club and remain completely unaccountable and unscathed.

What’s more - our trade period was extremely poor. Not here to argue about whether it was a B or an F... but it was not good.

So probably 6 out of 8 senior positions are at club are replaced including the president, assistant coaches and football manager plus the inclusion of Gubby, that Hawks analyst, senior assistants. Let's not even count Billy.

So really only 2 are still left. One, the coach stuck because of a contract.

But you proclaim nothing has been done.

And our trade period was as good as it was going to ever be. Not much you can do WHEN PLAYERS DONT WANT TO COME.... Shiel got offered a brick and still didn't consider us. We got Hannebery, albeit we had to pay, and sneaked in a couple of draft picks. Trades don't magically happen from under a rock - given our performances this year, no one could have done a better job given the s*** on field performance this year. Someone expecting anything else would be out of their mind.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Why?

How on earth can anyone know if these appointments will address any of our key issues?

I’m a bit concerned we’ve retrofitted our new coaching team a bit here. Richo won’t be taking us forward.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
St Loxton
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 5:17pm
ss1986 wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 4:09pm No - because those responsible for this mess are still employed at the club and remain completely unaccountable and unscathed.

So probably 6 out of 8 senior positions are at club are replaced including the president, assistant coaches and football manager plus the inclusion of Gubby, that Hawks analyst, senior assistants. Let's not even count Billy.

And our trade period was as good as it was going to ever be. Not much you can do WHEN PLAYERS DONT WANT TO COME.... Shiel got offered a brick and still didn't consider us. We got Hannebery, albeit we had to pay, and sneaked in a couple of draft picks. Trades don't magically happen from under a rock - given our performances this year, no one could have done a better job given the s*** on field performance this year. Someone expecting anything else would be out of their mind.
Spot on Spinner.
Our off field changes have been excellent.

ss1986
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 5:17pm

I agree about the trade period.

But the primary party responsible for the onfield debacle remains in the role, and the primary party responsible for that same man being in that role, is still there.

Until Finnis and Richardson are gone, I won’t stop.

It’s NOT GOOD ENOUGH. If I was any one of those other 6, I’d be absolutely filthy that I was a sacrificial lamb.

Except for Trout..... he was inept.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

The head coach remains so it’s a no.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Richo is about as useful as a comatose corpse at a Flamenco dance tournament.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 5:23pm Why?

How on earth can anyone know if these appointments will address any of our key issues?

I’m a bit concerned we’ve retrofitted our new coaching team a bit here. Richo won’t be taking us forward.
No one can SP but I believe we could not have stayed the same. If Finnis and Richardson were untouchable we have done the next best in terms of managing this mess.

I'm not convinced about Lade but time will tell. Another year like 2018 and those other two will most likely be gone as they will be the remaining common denominators.

My answer is YES the club is heading in the right direction. Still a lot more work to be done but I am of the belief that work will be done - coach & players (in & out).

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I say No.
Done enough for what?

Heading in the right direction to what?

There's a saying I live by.... "you're either moving towards your goals, or away from them. It's always one or the other."

There's absolutely no doubt that the club is heading towards them. Absolutely no doubt at all.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I still want to know what happens if we win 8 games in 2019. Is that enough of a step in the right direction? Do we keep the coach for 2020? Personally, I think we scrapped our way to 4 wins this year. I think we could have easily lost a couple more. Richo was playing damage control all year and I expect more of the same next season. So, if we're riding our older players to an at-least-we're-not-last finish, is that enough?

I believe we're a rebuilding team in denial. My only hope is that the club doesn't dig itself a deeper hole while trying to believe their way through all the mistakes we've made.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I say No.
Doubt it. New appointments all well and good....i.e Ratten, Gubby, Hawks data dude, Slater.

But I have zero faith in Richardson. I think he’s a pretender as a head coach. Poor leader, a rubbish communicator, full of cliches, avoids hard conversations and decisions, plays favourites, one dimensional strategy that’s anchored in the past, unresponsive and clueless on match days. About as inspiring as a leader as beige carpet.

So.....with that in mind, shifting the deck chairs around him is all well and good, but the incompetent captain of the ship remains.

ss1986
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 6:08pm

I say No.
Done enough for what?

There's a saying I live by.... "you're either moving towards your goals, or away from them. It's always one or the other."

There's absolutely no doubt that the club is heading towards them. Absolutely no doubt at all.
One fundamental error in your assertion Rodge...

Another 16-17 clubs have moved even further ahead.

Relatively speaking, we’re further behind.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

We’ve made some very promising moves, but they’re all just trying to paper over the massive crack that is Richo.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
chico2001
Club Player

ss1986 wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 8:23pm

I say No.
Done enough for what?

Probably a good point, if you don't get new and better players in each and every year then you go backwards.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I say No.
Done enough for what?

Possibly.

But that's highly debatable.

Who are the 16-17 clubs that moved further ahead, and how so exactly?

But your question was whether we're heading in the right direction. That's an obvious yes.
Last edited by rodgerfox on Sun 28 Oct 2018 8:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 8:28pm

I say No.
Done enough for what?

Probably a good point, if you don't get new and better players in each and every year then you go backwards.
What if players ready on your list improve? Does that make you get worse?

Crossy66
Club Player

Seems the consensus is we are moving in the right direction, but should have sacked Richo to make everyone happy.
Perhaps consider that a club with 12 mil debt would be irresponsible doing that.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Good to see the consensus is we are moving in the right direction as a club after this off season.

Same as the consensus on we had a pretty good trade period.

Not everyone is full of dooming and gloming...not thinking, wanting or wishing the worst. 😃

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.