Wooden Spoon or 17th in 2019

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

axcellence
Club Player

Wooden Spoon or 17th in 2019

Dal Santo reckoned saints will finish 17th in 2019.

I think there’s a chance that even lower is possible.

Every bloody team is now better except gold coast.

What do you think?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Wooden Spoon or 17th in 2019

It's f***ed.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Did anyone predict West Coast and Collingwood to make the GF?

Did they even predict them to makd the 8?

The Saints list is alot better than our position last year. Alot better. We will surprise alot of people, including our own supporters.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
takeaway
Club Player

17th sounds OK. High draft pick, couple more for Billings and Gresham, Richo gone. Very exciting draft period. Sounds good.

Too early for predictions, and what is the point anyway?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

axcellence wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 5:40am Dal Santo reckoned saints will finish 17th in 2019.

I think there’s a chance that even lower is possible.

Every bloody team is now better except gold coast.

What do you think?

As much as the season made me angry - I've still got hope for natural improvement to rise a little up the ladder.

It worries me we have no stars but hard to predict where anyone will finish these days.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

We need a lot of things to go right if we want to improve our ladder position.

Richo needs the sack before the season

Paddy needs to become a genuine threat, not a heap of goals but a 30 - 35 goal season.

Bruce needs to return to his best, 40 goals.

Billings fulfill his potential, 2 goals, 25 touches regularly.

Hanners needs to get to 90% of his best.

Austin needs to displace Brown, we can't afford to carry 2 kick players.

Carlisle, Gresham, Steven, Roberton - get through uninjured.

If all these things happened I could see us winning 10+ games, if half don't then we are back in the bottom 4.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Relegation!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-17/cry ... redictions

Read through this. This is why you don't worry about ladder predictions and this was done in mid March.

Not one person picked West Coast to make the 8. Only 1 for Collingwood and they had them at 8th.

Do not write off the Saints season. We could easily get back to a similar 16 and 17 win loss ratio.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Until our basic skills improve I can't see us going up the ladder. Let's not over complicate things. Kick it near the player isn't good enough kick it to them or so they can run into it. Same will handballs. Make tackles count, Billy Slater that's on you and practice goal kicking at the.end or training when they are knackered and beaten up a little.
Once that improves so will wr

spert
Saintsational Legend

Let's look at where we need to come from to crawl up the ladder- general observations: our players didn't rate in the AA team this season, our team stats were generally poor for the season, and although Steven did reasonably well, no one else really put their hand up or had a breakout season, plus we have a coach with a terrible W/L ratio who was being ridiculed in media for some of his tactical work. Lack of a cohesive forward line, and an ineffective midfield unit. No A-grade players. Gawd..not good reading is it.

Positives which may address some deficiencies: new assistants coaches with some credibility, possible improvement from Clark, Coffield..and who else?

I can't see any turnaround unless some players come out of nowhere and have remarkable seasons, and the team plays with spirit which was lacking in 2018. As a practical person, I just cant see where any improvement will come from sadly.

older saint
SS Life Member

100% correct, CG only team worse - and by a bit. Carlton improve with McGovern and better younger players get bigger and more experience - Curnow, Cripps, Dow, .

We add back Robbo and Bruce ( CHB?) and Hannebery (injury concerns).

With respect to both of these will make us better but not much - Brisbane, Freo and WB all improved much more than we did in this time.
Not to mention coaching/game plan issues.

17th is fair and likely

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 9:16am http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-17/cry ... redictions

Read through this. This is why you don't worry about ladder predictions and this was done in mid March.

Not one person picked West Coast to make the 8. Only 1 for Collingwood and they had them at 8th.

Do not write off the Saints season. We could easily get back to a similar 16 and 17 win loss ratio.
Can you please go and do what loris asked you to do

Collingwood and West Coast did not get there because of the sycophantic ramblings of their media department. They are superbly run and managed and they didn't become powerful and successful by accident. They don't accept mediocrity and they put in place the foundations and the lists to give themselves a chance. Both clubs recruit well and have a wealth of A graders and All Australian talent.

The betting agencies pay big money to the networks and media and also to many individuals who calls themselves football experts, and there is a massive conflict when it comes to these footy commentators giving their so called genuine tips.

If St Kilda had an adiministration department and football department half as good as Collingwood or West Coast we might be a chance to make 10th next year
Last edited by Scollop on Thu 18 Oct 2018 10:24am, edited 1 time in total.

axcellence
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 8:25am Did anyone predict West Coast and Collingwood to make the GF?

The Saints list is alot better than our position last year. Alot better. We will surprise alot of people, including our own supporters.
I didn’t think either would make the GF. But did think Collinwood would improve with an easier fixture.

Eagles I thought peaked well coz I thought without Nicnat, they were gawn.

But, still, Pies had a packed midfield of stars and Eagles always had Kennedy, McGovern, Shuey and a team of umpires. Both had injury and fixture issues in the past.

Going into 2019,

Saints have better players, should have an easier fixture, and potentially improvement from youngsters + injury returns from Bruce and Roberten.

So, even 15th is possible if Dogs keep dropping, which can happen and Freo plods on.

But that’s about it. Every other team has a better starting 22. Again, maybe have a Melbourne type win as well, particularly if Saints play Geelong at Marvel stadium.

saintadamski
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 9:16am http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-17/cry ... redictions

Ted, you're either a club plant, or in needs of meds...or both?

reasons for finishing bottom:

Coach: Alan Richardson

Senior Playing Group:
Newnes
Geary
Armitage
Dunstan
Billings
Savage
Longer
McCartin
Lonie
Brown

Upside: Weller now finally gone

17th or 18th is the go
Last edited by saintadamski on Thu 18 Oct 2018 10:33am, edited 3 times in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 8:25am Did anyone predict West Coast and Collingwood to make the GF?

I have a prediction.

You will change your nickname around mid season next year

Oh...and also I agree with Nicky Dal

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Ooooh...predictions 11 months out! I'll have a crack...I can see Geelong and GWS falling out of the top 8 next year, so who takes their place on the way up?

Finals bound; Essendon did very well to land Shiel and he will transform their midfield IMO. The Crows had an off year and will at least displace Geelong in the bottom half of the top 8.

Not quite there; I can see some genuine improvement in Freo with their added firepower, although they're down one important established midfielder, Cerra, Brayshaw and Banfield will improve. Brisbane will rise, and would have regardless of who they got onboard. North appear to have done last year's Port, in that they've loaded up on hit-or-miss players, so could improve but likely to stay the same IMO. Reduced ruck depth and one big forward gone. Port are Port, who knows what they'll produce.

Not a contender; I fear we're still bottom 4 unless a lot of things work in our favour, but only just. Joining us will be the Bulldogs, who did nothing during the trade period really, lost a few goodies (including 3 premature retirements), but do have a young list (youngest last year?). The Blues added some important leading forwards to add 3-4 goals a game to a team that struggled to get over 8 goals a game, but they always had reasonable-ish firepower up front, just no-one to get it there (and Casboult kicking). If Setterfield doesn't come good will it be left to Cripps to do all the work again? Their backline was hapless without Docherty, may improve with a few of their young KPB's maturing. Might pass us. Suns no chance to pass us unless the AFL gives them a stunningly sympathetic draw.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Roberton, Bruce back in should see us improve.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 10:30am

I have a prediction.

You will change your nickname around mid season next year

Oh...and also I agree with Nicky Dal
Shameful prediction by Nicky Dal and a bit harsh as Joey stated. Even worse when you consider that Dal is the senior coach of our next generation players.

Maybe he just wants the players to prove him wrong.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

It's no secret, we suck. And we'll continue to suck for probably another 5 years. This is a result of terrible recruiting and poor list management since 2007.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Flagless
Club Player

Our key weaknesses from last season haven't been addressed (at least in the trade window) and that is pace and elite ball use by foot. Our mid field apart from Steven is slow and one paced and their foot skills are horrid. Adding Hannebery does absolutely nothing to address that as he is slow (and wont get any quicker at 28) and is poor by foot. Unless there is dramatic improvement from some of the youngsters we will be bottom 4 again. Only some luck with injuries will determine whether its 15th or 18th

Flagless
Club Player

Our key weaknesses from last season haven't been addressed (at least in the trade window) and that is pace and elite ball use by foot. Our mid field apart from Steven is slow and one paced and their foot skills are horrid. Adding Hannebery does absolutely nothing to address that as he is slow (and wont get any quicker at 28) and is poor by foot. Unless there is dramatic improvement from some of the youngsters we will be bottom 4 again. Only some luck with injuries will determine whether its 15th or 18th

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Flagless wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 11:03am Our key weaknesses from last season haven't been addressed (at least in the trade window) and that is pace and elite ball use by foot. Our mid field apart from Steven is slow and one paced and their foot skills are horrid. Adding Hannebery does absolutely nothing to address that as he is slow (and wont get any quicker at 28) and is poor by foot. Unless there is dramatic improvement from some of the youngsters we will be bottom 4 again. Only some luck with injuries will determine whether its 15th or 18th
Hannerbry isnt poor by foot.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintadamski wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 10:29am

Ted, you're either a club plant, or in needs of meds...or both?

reasons for finishing bottom:

Coach: Alan Richardson

Senior Playing Group:
Newnes
Geary
Armitage
Dunstan
Billings
Savage
Longer
McCartin
Lonie
Brown

Upside: Weller now finally gone

17th or 18th is the go
I realised I was enjoying the site a lot less with his rose coloured spamming. He could indeed be a club plant. No idea why they’d give a toss about SS, but it’s possible I guess. Anyway....I put him on ignore and now I don’t have to see his interjections in every thread, only when someone quotes him. It’s much better.

chico2001
Club Player

Sensibly we would be looking at 6 wins or maybe 7 IMO, there is nothing to suggest any more than that. A couple of players returning from injury, a couple of recruits and some young unproved draft picks coming on. Kicking efficiency will improve with new coaches you would hope. Get a couple of A graders in 2019 draft and maybe 9-10 wins in 2020.

Would have to beat GC twice, Carlton twice, Brisbane once and maybe WB once and an upset over a top 12 team like Melbourne. Should play the bottom sides twice in 2019 hence the improvement. If you have not got top players then you wont go up the ladder regardless of how much faith you have in your team.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 10:18am

Can you please go and do what loris asked you to do

Collingwood and West Coast did not get there because of the sycophantic ramblings of their media department. They are superbly run and managed and they didn't become powerful and successful by accident. They don't accept mediocrity and they put in place the foundations and the lists to give themselves a chance. Both clubs recruit well and have a wealth of A graders and All Australian talent.

The betting agencies pay big money to the networks and media and also to many individuals who calls themselves football experts, and there is a massive conflict when it comes to these footy commentators giving their so called genuine tips.

If St Kilda had an adiministration department and football department half as good as Collingwood or West Coast we might be a chance to make 10th next year
That argument doesn't really wash - Collingwood were in turmoil in 2017, even after 2 games this year, coach nearly gone, rumblings everywhere. Shows how quickly things can turn around, and Saints have made a lot of off field changes - give them a go.