The Flux Report: Back to school Hannebury homework round

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

AeonFlux
Club Player

The Flux Report: Back to school Hannebury homework round

*Saint's Bust & Fairest:

Good to hear that the 'tag and release' thing has been stymied. Though given our club's still all too recent fun n' games over the adventures of Milney and Joey, and then of Kimmy, I'm surprised this wasn't done a lot sooner. :oops:

As for 'that' pic of Members and partner... no idea what the young lady is like as a person, but that photo is not complimentary. I'm very disappointed that our club allowed that photo to be used publicly. Makes all involved look very cheap IMHO.

*Reports of Guys in the gym already:
I guess that's good. Previously, that seemed to be mainly Tom Curren or Roo(?) And Paddy trimmed down heaps also sounds great. But I remain skeptical. Very bloody skeptical!

I still remember a club video of Paddy that came out late last year. He was getting back into training after an injury, and was running around really really well. Looked very damn impressive. Made me think that his injury time had been put to really good use, and he had built something resembling a half decent AFL tank.

However, come season 2018............no sign of that having happened. Was that video edited???

If we can get someone's first rounder for Paddy, then I'm all for it. If only a second rounder is on offer, then I'd hang on to him. Maybe he will finally get a passable degree of fitness? Mobility too, even...? Though his kicking technique remains very flawed, so ultimately, even if everything else picks up, that will mostly likely render him impotent (as a key forward).

Sorry, all this 'working hard' to really improve stuff.......we hear that every bloody year......and from every bloody club!

*Not harder - work bloody smarter:
Seb is a great example. Saynta got him working really hard on his fitness. Went from (by AFL standards and by his own admission) hopeless... to become a very good on-baller. Also surprised people with his pace, recording our second fastest (or was it the fastest?) in-game running speed for season 2017. As a result of all his hard physical work, Seb now consistently gets heaps of the footy. Kudos Seb! (Kudos Saynta.) :D

But........his disposals don't hurt the enemy. (All too often, they hurt us though.) Now Seb is actually a good kick and handballer, IMHO. So to me, it's clearly a case of him now needing to take his footy brain, and his concentration, to the next level. :idea: Saynta, should you accept it, this is your next mission.
chico2001 wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 3:54pm Yes his kicking is shabby but I think that can be addressed by a good coach and Ross has got upside for sure. I wouldn't trade him for a top 15 pick. I am a believer in the "one in the hand is worth 2 in the bush" motto. He is a very recent B&F winner and finished 2nd this year albeit in a weak side.He is very valuable to this side and if we can get another top class mid fielder and a good ruckman the side would improve big time. If you let him go to one of the big sides he would play in a flag.

*Saint's Butterssssss and Fairest:
I'm very happy to hear that Rod was in attendance.

Now off the marching powder, I'd be happy to see him back running the BOM. I won't ever forget his allowing the bulldozers into Moorabbin, and the subsequent move to Siberian obscurity. However, am willing to put that down to his 'issues' at the time, and would be confident that he wouldn't stuff-up like that again now. (And if he does....... I'll be making a phone call to Lazar to pop by and measure-up Rod for a nice new pair of concrete boat shoes. :twisted: )

And while I'm talking about left field appointments, and I can't quite believe I'm saying this :shock: .......I'd like Wally back as our CEO! :shock:

* 'Hard' questions from Stuv:
When combining the words 'hard' and 'questions' in reference to Jack S, I fear that 'hard' is a relative term. And apparently Stuv liked the hard (again, that'd be a relative term) answers that he got.

Whilst I understand they can't give away too much, I want to bloody well hear some concrete stuff as to how we intend to bloody well make bloody well sure that we will improve!!! Yet all I'm hearing is the same old "we're better than that" company bloody line! :roll:

That is a bloody platitude, not, a planned course of action!!! :x

*However, I think that we will improve next year:
- The return of Robbo, BAcres and Bruce (assuming he replaces Paddy at FF) pretty much guarantee that.
- And rucking Louey (or even Hickey) along with Marshall further adds to that. Hell, rucking anyone but Lazar's man has to improve us significantly.
- Off-loading Mav' and Newnes (or somehow getting Newne's mojo back) will free up spaces in the team for blokes who might actually contribute. (Wouldn't that be bloody nice!)

But, all that will be futile, and we will still ultimately underachieve c/f what we could (should) accomplish... unless we have proper bloody coaching!!!
- Our delivery into the forward line is disastrous. (And probably dangerous to the health of some older saint's supporters.)
- We've lost that manic swarming pressure - that no side we played looked comfortable against!
- We keep playing blokes not in their best positions.
- Our selection policy remains (all too often) incomprehensible. :?
Mav, Newnes, Billy get games.
Louey only gets a game through injury. (I bet otherwise, he would have been delisted, sight unseen.)
The likes of Connellan are delisted. (Not through lack of pace. Not through lack of ability to kick some goals. But, because of lack of forward pressure? Seriously??? Isn't that what coaching and on-field leadership should be addressing??? >_< )
- (Linked to the previous two points) we keep failing to adjust our game plan to account for the skill weaknesses of certain players, whilst still allowing us to make use of their playing strengths. (This, I would have thought, would be a coaching basic requirement...?)

Re the coaching. Our club's consistent (stubborn?) line is that "it's the bloody assistants, not St Richo." Yet, interestingly, one club that has (very) successfully determined that the assistants were the problem... has now taken on our former head assistant coach. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Hmmmmmmm...

*Time for a shake up :twisted: :

*Hannebury's homework:
"They pushed Richmond all the way at the MCG late in the fourth quarter, and also beat Melbourne who are premiership favourites. And but for a toe poke, and an errant bounce, they would have won those two flags. You can't tell me that team is no good when they are doing that to really good sides.

They've got a great young list. Tim Membrey, Jade Gresham, Jack Steven – they're bona fide stars.

I think that Billy Longer is good overhead. I think that I even once saw him take a mark. And I've read that he gets lots of presents.

Seb Ross has announced himself as an All Australian-type player this year, and they've got a number of other players that are developing.

Hunter Clark is another one who's going to be an absolute star. I've done my homework.

I saw Spencer White's YouTube highlight against Werribee. The next Buddy Franklin!"
Seriously? Dan? Is that the best you can muster? Are you using Donald Trump's press secretary???

Melbourne are not premiership favourites, not even on Mt Hotham!
In 'football terms' only Gresham would count as 'young'.
Seb 'announced himself' two years ago.
Hunter will be a very good player, and possibly 'an absolute star', but, what do you base your assessment on?

What I want to know. Why is Dan Hannebury actually wanting to come to us???

He's assured of his money, and (probably/possibly still) of finals footy at the Swines. But if he wants to come home to Melbsourne, then at 87 years of age, one would think he'd want to go to a side in the premiership window...?

And if it's because he's pissed-off that they played him when injured...
- I would have thought the Swines were too smart to do that.
- That implies he mightn't be playing too many games with us...? :idea:

Happy to have him. But giving up anything more than a second rounder, and it'll be Terry Wallace impersonation time!!! :x

*Trade out:
McCartin - if we can get a first rounder (even if that involved swapping of later picks their way).
Billy - trade out or delist or whatever it takes... but he must go!
Hickey - for a late first rounder (also with swapping of later picks if needed), early second rounder, or as part of getting some other deal across the line. Otherwise, happy to keep. (Louey and the Marshall remain my prefered rucking combo' though.)
Weller - whatever we can get, or just delist.
Newnes - to the HBF, or.........see Weller reference.
Most important trade-out of all... Richo!!!!

*Lonie - I still doubt his long term future (too small, too slow, misses too many of the opportunities that he does create), however, fairs fair. He has earned a one year extension IMHO.
*Armo' - I think he's done, but am very happy to honour his contract. He's earned it. Liz has earned it. If he wants a move, then we should facilitate that for him too. He's earned it. Liz has earned it.

*Trade In:
Get Pruest (sp?) from North, or bring back Holmesy.
Re-rookie Connellan (if he'll still have us).
Do not spend a first rounder on Shiel, or (pretty much) anyone else! Pointless! He's a FA next year! :idea:
So, going into season 2020, we could have in our team.......
Shiel,
this year's pick 4 (Smith or Rankine),
another FA,
and 2019's first rounder.
That's four (hopefully) top liners, c/f two. And, that's a significant difference! :idea:

Btw, looking at some stats (for what they're worth) not sure Shiel would necessarily be my number one target.
chico2001 wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 3:45pm Which ever way you look at it, Shiel is not worth a pick 4
rodgerfox wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 4:55pm
gutiguti wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 3:27pm
rodgerfox wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 1:25pm Pick 4 is massive overs for Shiel.

His career numbers are almost identical to Seb Ross. Aside from averaging only 1 more Clearance a week, they're freakishly similar.

Pick 4 for a mid that only averages 24 touches and can't kick goals is overs.

Do I want him? s*** yeah.

Would I pay pick 4 for him? No way. The club is nuts if they do.
gotta watch more gws if you think shiel and ross have comparable impact on games of footy.
Shiel uses it better, no doubt. But he doesn't hit the scoreboard any more than Ross does. Doesn't enter Inside 50 any more than Ross, and doesn't Rebound 50 any more either. His better usage doesn't resut in any more Score Involvements or Goal Assists as Ross either.

They have the same Kicks, same Marks - same freakin' everything! They're even almost exactly the same age!

It's actually quite freakish how they compare statistically.

The question probably is....would Shiel be better in a weak midfield where he gets more opportunity to get the nut and doesn't have to share it with Kelly, Coniglio, Ward etc., or does that actually make Shiel's life much easier given that the opposition have 4-5 mids to worry about?

Would his B+ numbers improve if he was the number 1 guy with us? Or would they get worse given he'd get the opposition's full attention every week?

Regardless, I don't think you'd give up a pick 4 in a supposed Super Draft for a guy that can't kick goals. You'd give up a pick 4 for a Josh Kelly, or a Martin, etc. The absolute cream of the crop. But Shiel isn't in that class in my opinion.

So looking at some stats' (with all their possible inherent flaws), available 2019 FAs of (possible) interest...
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp- ... chie-neale
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp- ... -tomlinson
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp- ... ylan-shiel
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp- ... n-coniglio
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp- ... ad-wingard
(Shiel vs Coniglio is an interesting one. What do the Giant's watchers think?)

*So good to be back:
Wonderful to have a Saintsational legend back posting. :D
And to think, for a while there, a whole generation of Saintsational posters knew not of the great Fox. (Shakes head in disbelief.)

But where's Johnny??? :( Does anyone know? Does anyone ReMember?

Thoughts, Rodger?
Thoughts, Saintsationalists?
Thoughts, Johnny?

ReMembering:
Image Image Image Image

----- Rodger ------- Nymeria ------- BakesFan ----------- Aaron
HarryM wrote: Nope never heard of them :roll:
AeonFlux
Club Player

Re: The Flux Report: Back to school Hannebury homework round

And a final very apt, and very poignant, word to all Saint's fans, from the Kinkster.
“My dears,

Find what you love and let it kill you.
Let it drain you of your all. Let it cling onto your back and weigh you down into eventual nothingness.
Let it kill you and let it devour your remains.
For all things will kill you, both slowly and fastly, but it’s much better to be killed by a lover.

~ Falsely yours”

― Kinky Friedman
We all know what entity he's referring to.

ReMembering:
Image Image Image Image

elizabethr
Club Player

I love you AF 😍💖

nothing to say
saint-stu
Club Player

Great post. I agree with all of it except Paddy. We will never get back what we paid for him and I would rather see what sort of player he will become then get an 18 year old pick 20+. He may never work out, but pick 20+ just isn't worth it IMO. He has shown glimpses which makes me think it's possible he can do it more often if he has a bit of luck and gets himself as fit as he possibly can.

Newnes was played forward a lot this year, I assume to let Billings play further up the ground. Billings is a much better player so I would prefer to sacrifice Newnes's game a bit for this. I thought Newnes did OK playing as a forward.

1ac46a38
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I'm still not completely against trading pick 4 for the right player.

If anything, I'm actually terrified of who we might pick if we take it to the draft. I know it won't be in Trout's hands, but lets face it, with the exception of Gresham and maybe, very possibly Acres, we've made pretty ordinary use of our first round picks in the last five years. The 2014 draft (our so-called defining draft of our rebuild) is boarding on a complete disaster.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
AeonFlux
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote: Sat 22 Sep 2018 12:37pm I'm still not completely against trading pick 4 for the right player.

If anything, I'm actually terrified of who we might pick if we take it to the draft. I know it won't be in Trout's hands, but lets face it, with the exception of Gresham and maybe, very possibly Acres, we've made pretty ordinary use of our first round picks in the last five years. The 2014 draft (our so-called defining draft of our rebuild) is boarding on a complete disaster.
Worried about our pick 4?

Smith looks as safe as one can get.
Rankine looks pretty safe too, but may take a little longer to produce - size being the question mark.
However, King's reel contained no highlights. :? (Is that why his mates call him Joe?)

But to give up pick 4, I'd want the likes of a Kelly or Gaff or DeGoey or Cripps or Watts. (Can anyone pick the odd one out there??? :lol: )

But best of all scenarios - 2018 1st rounder + 2019 1st rounder + 2* 2019 FAs. (The Quadrella.)

Why? Because in the words of the Great Gecko.....................

Image :twisted:

Thoughts, SS?

Thoughts, Johnny?

ReMembering:
Image Image Image Image

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

AeonFlux wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 4:17pm
SydneySainter wrote: Sat 22 Sep 2018 12:37pm I'm still not completely against trading pick 4 for the right player.

Worried about our pick 4?

Smith looks as safe as one can get.
Rankine looks pretty safe too, but may take a little longer to produce - size being the question mark.
However, King's reel contained no highlights. :? (Is that why his mates call him Joe?)

But to give up pick 4, I'd want the likes of a Kelly or Gaff or DeGoey or Cripps or Watts. (Can anyone pick the odd one out there??? :lol: )

But best of all scenarios - 2018 1st rounder + 2019 1st rounder + 2* 2019 FAs. (The Quadrella.)

Why? Because in the words of the Great Gecko.....................

Image :twisted:

Thoughts, SS?

Thoughts, Johnny?

Fair point, the likes of Kelly or DeGoey would make it a no-brainer. Gaff is great, but even he would be a little overpriced at pick 4. But, it's the market.

However, pick 3 for Billings also seemed like a safe bet at the time.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

gaff for pick 4 would be a no brainer.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saint-stu
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:gaff for pick 4 would be a no brainer.
Isn't Gaff a free agent!

1ac46a38
Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

Just to correct your homework - it's Hannebery as opposed to bury.

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!