Player height

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jackal
Club Player

Player height

Hi all, been a while since I have posted but feel frustrated enough to do so tonight. My key observation of our list is that we often play too many small players. In my view a midfielder should be around 6 foot 2. If smaller they must have super skills and agility. I just can't see, if gresh and billings are our main men, how we can play lonie and Sinclair. Ps Weller too slow so has to go

Drew21
Club Player

Re: Player height

Speed is a bigger issue

the difference between and average Afl player and the best players in the Afl is a natural weapon of pace strength or athleticism
Like dusty who has great burst of speed and strength that gives him room to make things happen
Same with danger

Look at Richmond. There bottom 6 players
Have pace to burn.

Jack Steven is proberly the only player we have. With a weapon such as pace oh and long

Maybe Gresham with his lateral movement

We have a lot of average footballers and none have a weapon that lifts them above there opponents

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

jackal wrote: Thu 06 Sep 2018 10:50pm Hi all, been a while since I have posted but feel frustrated enough to do so tonight. My key observation of our list is that we often play too many small players. In my view a midfielder should be around 6 foot 2. If smaller they must have super skills and agility. I just can't see, if gresh and billings are our main men, how we can play lonie and Sinclair. Ps Weller too slow so has to go
Playing Rioli, Higgins, Buttler, Castagna, edwards etal between forward and mid isn't hurting the reigning premiers.

I think you are saying of you are smaller you have to be pretty good to cover height deficiency, I agree with this. Height is not an issue if you are quick and skilled.

Still believe its not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog that matters.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
To the top
SS Life Member

My view is that you develop a game plan based on your strengths - not attempt to replicate another side because the game continues to evolve so if you attempt to replicate you are always following the leader

St Kilda needs to lead

So, to height

My view is that height is our point of difference, particularly in attack

We have McCartin and Bruce, supported by Membrey and Battle (neither KPP but play above their height and therefore more dangerous given the presence of McCartin and Bruce) plus we have Marshall particularly and Hickey both able to go forward (Hickey having the major ruck responsibilities and Marshall a relief ruck/utility)

In defence we have Carlisle, Austin and Roberton - and need another taller defender to take any 3rd tall option played by the opposition because Roberton (194cm) is a flanker and a point of difference given his height

Whilst there is reference to having a selection of back flankers, my view is that apart from Roberton we have numbers but not the class and that view includes Webster

To me there is no comparison between Roberton and Webster on a raft of criteria - hence my reference to needing class joining Roberton

The midfield?

I view Acres as the white hope - plus we need to add penetrative class

“Small forwards” - Gresham and Long with Lonie to keep pressure on given his finish to 2018

And we need to play to our strengths

Quality height - particularly in attack

A good big man will always beat a good small man

And tall players do not get any shorter as the game wears on

Two old and true adages

Enjoy!!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Some of our talls aren't tough enough. They lack the hardness and intensity that you need in your big blokes. The one time that I saw a sign from both Nathan Brown and Jake Carlisle was when they got suspended. They both need to relish every hard physical contest but just be smarter, continue playing with a bit of mongrel and hopefully don't overstep too often

Maybe that's one of the main reasons that Richo and his selection committee had preferred Billy over Tom, but obviously we need talented footballers first and foremost and then they need to be able to play a tough contested game and make sure they hurt the opposistion physically at every opportunity.

I reckon in 2016 and 2017 when we played some outstanding football, there was a feeling within the group and their intent was to harrass and intimidate and be physical at every opportunity. We need to bring that sort of hardness to our football and don't take a backward step. If every player has that attitude and can be coached to display a kind of arrogance and physicality at every contest then we will get back on track to playing better team football.

We need leaders off field and leaders on field who will be role models for the Sainters to move up the ladder

congorozides
Club Player

Height is irrelevant.
The problem is too many s*** players, too many s*** coaches, too many s*** administrators.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 12:07am Height is irrelevant.
The problem is too many s*** players, too many s*** coaches, too many s*** administrators.
Con's back

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!