What’s the damage?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

What’s the damage?

I genuinely cant recall supporters/members more united in their anger than now. It feels like the “managerial blinkers” and spin machine is officially broken and fans ain’t buying anymore..

Question is: Another 12 months minimum of Alan malaise...what will the damage really be?

I seriously worry for our future - we’re irrelevant now but fear a genuine Fitzroy situation coming on if something isn’t done..

What’s the worst this situation does to us?

“Yeah….nah””
bergsone
SS Life Member

Re: What’s the damage?

Has got a Fitzroy feel about it doesnt it,or at least heading that way.No good worrying about 12 months time,feel the time to act is now.From the prez,coach down to the boot studder,all need to be held accountable for the present position we are in

I have never been someone who says sack him just to join the mob mentality,but my patience is wearing very thin.12 more months of this NO

BenLong#21
Club Player

The spin is to take the heat off the Board and Finnis over the the 2 year head coach extension decision.

The attack dog to deliver the narrative is Lethlean. The deflecting narrative is 'blame the recruiters and list managers'.

Some people are falling for it. Most arent.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Another dismal friday night showing would be alarming for the AFL.

We kicked 5 goals on good friday and the game was over within the first 20 minutes against richmond a couple of weeks ago.

At the end of the day, the AFL need all teams to be competitive to some degree and they don't want less teams in the comp.

What I find depressing is most of the teams who we were competing with for a flag ten years ago are all up in the top 8… North, Dogs, Saints, Lions, Suns, Blues all flailing… equalization clearly isn't working, despite that arsey flag the dogs won.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 1:30pm I genuinely cant recall supporters/members more united in their anger than now. It feels like the “managerial blinkers” and spin machine is officially broken and fans ain’t buying anymore..

Question is: Another 12 months minimum of Alan malaise...what will the damage really be?

I seriously worry for our future - we’re irrelevant now but fear a genuine Fitzroy situation coming on if something isn’t done..

We need to see the annual report before we get too wigged out.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Gold Coast Saints.....

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
BenLong#21
Club Player

North have won 11 games so far.
They are going fine.
Dogs are rebuilding after a flag.

happy feet
Club Player

The poster that said we have a Fitzroy feel about us is spot on the money. Too many Clubs in Melbourne, Gold Coast not performing, gaming losing interest in Tassie, the writing is on the wall. Gold Coast or Tassie here we come. Question is......who will you barrack for? The new entity or someone else, or just walk away like many of the Fitzroy old boys.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

BenLong#21 wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 2:17pm North have won 11 games so far.
They are going fine.
We won 11 last year too, 12 the year before that.

George27
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 1:30pm I genuinely cant recall supporters/members more united in their anger than now. It feels like the “managerial blinkers” and spin machine is officially broken and fans ain’t buying anymore..

The dark days of the late 70s and 80s were not accompanied by social media ( including this forum ) , which can be seen to galvanise pissed-off people into a groundswell of collective opinion and action. Back then we each suffered alone until we turned up the following week. Now we suffer together which probably multiplies the angst and, as you say, unites the anger. These are not good days to be an underperforming team or coach, especially a coach in his 5th bottom-8 season. In that context, it does feel as ugly and forlorn as it has in my many decades of support. I do not know what it means, but I suspect it will be sudden and not pretty.

Gershwin
Club Player

Next 3 games are critical. If we lose all 3 badly Richo might just walk. Lets wait and see.

summertime and the living is easy ........
degruch
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 2:57pm
BenLong#21 wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 2:17pm North have won 11 games so far.
They are going fine.
We won 11 last year too, 12 the year before that.
And teams generally don't rebuild after a flag...even a premiership hangover doesn't see you that far out of contention.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 2:13pm

You're hilarious. Seen plenty of those released and a few months later company is taken over by administrators. Before the AFL liquidiators are sent in ( or our destiny is taken out of our hands) there needs to be some changes at the top. Some crap on a spreadsheet means jack.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 4:14pm
rodgerfox wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 2:13pm

You're hilarious. Seen plenty of those released and a few months later company is taken over by administrators. Before the AFL liquidiators are sent in ( or our destiny is taken out of our hands) there needs to be some changes at the top. Some crap on a spreadsheet means jack.
I'm hilarious?

So you think an organisation's impending doom can be declared by a handful of punters on a footy forum, as opposed to an annual report?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The annual report will just repeat everything that the board and managers have been spinning in the media. Meanwhile the club is suffering long term and it could be too late to ressurrect. Do you think the annual report is going to paint a negative picture on membership forecasts 2-3 years out?

Unless you're getting paid or your relatives are getting paid at St Kilda football club, what is there to look forward to right now. For God's sake haven't you seen what they've done to thejiggingsaint?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 2:46pm The poster that said we have a Fitzroy feel about us is spot on the money. Too many Clubs in Melbourne, Gold Coast not performing, gaming losing interest in Tassie, the writing is on the wall. Gold Coast or Tassie here we come. Question is......who will you barrack for? The new entity or someone else, or just walk away like many of the Fitzroy old boys.
As an old Fitzroy fan I couldn't follow a third team. I would walk away. I would follow AFL footy but the passion would be gone, which would be sad, because it's been one of my life's passions (footy)

I will never believe that relocating anywhere would make it the Saints. Sure they will do everything they can to make it feel like the Saints, but in the end they have to cater for their new supporters. I'm happy for the Fitzroy supporters who believe that their club won 3 x flags in a row. I never saw it that way, and whilst I barracked for them in the 01 GF due to the underdog tag, I actually hoped the pies would beat them in 02 as I saw them as the underdogs.

I certainly wouldn't buy a Saints membership if they relocated.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 4:14pm

You're hilarious. Seen plenty of those released and a few months later company is taken over by administrators.
Really? Which ones?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 4:41pm The annual report will just repeat everything that the board and managers have been spinning in the media. Meanwhile the club is suffering long term and it could be too late to ressurrect. Do you think the annual report is going to paint a negative picture on membership forecasts 2-3 years out?
Annual reports don't paint a picture. They present numbers. The accompanying blurb will usually attempt to present those figures a certain way, but the numbers are the numbers.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yes agreed, but there's usually a forecast or a presentation that includes forward looking statements that address our expected future business and financial performance. There will be numbers that are historical abd there could be some forecast numbers.

This is where they will paint the same picture as the emails we received for the 'road to 2020.' Our CEO, president and even Lethlean were saying earlier this year that they thought we were capable of being a top 4 side.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 5:19pm Yes agreed, but there's usually a forecast or a presentation that includes forward looking statements that address our expected future business and financial performance. There will be numbers that are historical abd there could be some forecast numbers.

This is where they will paint the same picture as the emails we received for the 'road to 2020.' Our CEO, president and even Lethlean were saying earlier this year that they thought we were capable of being a top 4 side.
So back to my original post, the one which you scoffed at, as I said we can't get too hysterical until we see the annual report.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 5:29pm
Scollop wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 5:19pm Yes agreed, but there's usually a forecast or a presentation that includes forward looking statements that address our expected future business and financial performance. There will be numbers that are historical abd there could be some forecast numbers.

So back to my original post, the one which you scoffed at, as I said we can't get too hysterical until we see the annual report.
Companies waiting on annual reports to make decisions go broke.
We are not BHP we are a footy club operating in a fishbowl environment that knows what matters for good performance : on field results. Actually, I’d go a step further and say what matters for performance is hope and right now that’s completely missing - UNLIKE in the bad ole Butters /Thomas days where there were c**k ups...but stacks oh hope emerging from which the 2008/09 GF years built from.

Let’s not play “who has a bigger corporate weener” with management mumbo jumbo at this time....we had a plan...Road to 2018.....that plan is monitored (ought to be) we have failed. We need to act now.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 4:47pm
happy feet wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 2:46pm The poster that said we have a Fitzroy feel about us is spot on the money. Too many Clubs in Melbourne, Gold Coast not performing, gaming losing interest in Tassie, the writing is on the wall. Gold Coast or Tassie here we come. Question is......who will you barrack for? The new entity or someone else, or just walk away like many of the Fitzroy old boys.
As an old Fitzroy fan I couldn't follow a third team. I would walk away. I would follow AFL footy but the passion would be gone, which would be sad, because it's been one of my life's passions (footy)

I will never believe that relocating anywhere would make it the Saints. Sure they will do everything they can to make it feel like the Saints, but in the end they have to cater for their new supporters. I'm happy for the Fitzroy supporters who believe that their club won 3 x flags in a row. I never saw it that way, and whilst I barracked for them in the 01 GF due to the underdog tag, I actually hoped the pies would beat them in 02 as I saw them as the underdogs.

I certainly wouldn't buy a Saints membership if they relocated.
Old Fitzroy supporter here too
Won’t go again if the club goes
I vividly remember looking at Brisbane Lion guernsy thinking.... the color ain’t even right...
If club goes anywhere that’s it for me.

“Yeah….nah””
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 2:09pm Another dismal friday night showing would be alarming for the AFL.

We kicked 5 goals on good friday and the game was over within the first 20 minutes against richmond a couple of weeks ago.

At the end of the day, the AFL need all teams to be competitive to some degree and they don't want less teams in the comp.

What I find depressing is most of the teams who we were competing with for a flag ten years ago are all up in the top 8… North, Dogs, Saints, Lions, Suns, Blues all flailing… equalization clearly isn't working, despite that arsey flag the dogs won.
I tell you what if we play like we did in the last 3 quarters and Essendon bring their recent form, then we're looking at a 100 point hiding.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I think, that despite viewing from different angles, we are all on the same page that somethings have to change.

I don't want to be like the old guys in the pub in Jack Irish talking about the demise of the St Kilda footy club.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 3:01pm

The dark days of the late 70s and 80s were not accompanied by social media ( including this forum ) , which can be seen to galvanise pissed-off people into a groundswell of collective opinion and action. Back then we each suffered alone until we turned up the following week. Now we suffer together which probably multiplies the angst and, as you say, unites the anger. These are not good days to be an underperforming team or coach, especially a coach in his 5th bottom-8 season. In that context, it does feel as ugly and forlorn as it has in my many decades of support. I do not know what it means, but I suspect it will be sudden and not pretty.
Good post
I’d akso suggest the dark days of 70/80s were not preceded by a club who played in 3 GFs in a row in the last 10 years....we’ve had an inkling if the holy grail....now this management want to condemn us back to the depths of helpless strugglers ....**** that
I want to be feared in field again
I want to walk in the gate like Tigers now (like I did in 09 )EXPECTING to win
I think Saints fans have woken from their previous “accepting mediocrity malaise” and rightly so saying enoughs enough.

“Yeah….nah””