Stats: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shrodes
SS Life Member

Stats: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-25/s ... ky-numbers
Slow starters
In the opening 20 minutes of games, the Saints have been outscored by 154 points, which is ranked last in the AFL. Last week's limp start against Richmond and the round 12 hammering at Sydney's hands were the most brutal beatings they have received this year.

On the rebound
No team has launched a higher proportion of its scoring chains from the back 50 than St Kilda, at 22 per cent. It's an area the side has improved at, and with Jake Carlisle's intercepting work and Jimmy Webster's scything left foot, the Saints do have a relatively impressive defence when fully fit.

Giving away freebies
St Kilda has conceded 28 more free kicks at stoppages than it has received in 2018. That's the worst differential in the competition. Part of that might be explained by the Saints ranking 12th in average contested possession differential, indicating they are losing more contests than they are winning. Meanwhile, they have broken even for free kicks in general play. – Dinny Navaratnam

stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: Stats: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

What, we have good stats?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Saints no 1 in scoring chains from back 50

Its good to see we are doing well from the back 50, but the slow starts have killed us in some games the last 3 seasons. It needs to be rectified for 2019. I reckon we would have been in alot more games if we matched teams in the 1st quarter as we seem to break even and get our game on for the next 3 quarters (most of the time).

The Saints need to stop the 1st quarter blitz. Sides are clearly throwing everything at us in the 1st quarter e.g. Sydney and Richmond, as they know we are brittle in that area. Richo and his new coaching staff for 2019 need to work on this over the pre season.
-------------------------------

Slow starters
In the opening 20 minutes of games, the Saints have been outscored by 154 points, which is ranked last in the AFL. Last week's limp start against Richmond and the round 12 hammering at Sydney's hands were the most brutal beatings they have received this year.

On the rebound
No team has launched a higher proportion of its scoring chains from the back 50 than St Kilda, at 22 per cent. It's an area the side has improved at, and with Jake Carlisle's intercepting work and Jimmy Webster's scything left foot, the Saints do have a relatively impressive defence when fully fit.

Giving away freebies
St Kilda has conceded 28 more free kicks at stoppages than it has received in 2018. That's the worst differential in the competition. Part of that might be explained by the Saints ranking 12th in average contested possession differential, indicating they are losing more contests than they are winning. Meanwhile, they have broken even for free kicks in general play. – Dinny Navaratnam

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

That's a high proportion of our scoring chains. It doesn't make us the best in the league at it because we have less scoring chains than most teams.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

No team has launched a higher proportion of its scoring chains from the back 50 than St Kilda.

I suspect that's because the ball is down there so often and hence, it's pretty much the only place we can launch a scoring effort from. That's due to (1) getting beaten in clearances and (2) our pox skill level which results in turnovers that finish up in our back line.

Go you red, black & white warriors
dragit
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Wed 25 Jul 2018 1:03pm That's a high proportion of our scoring chains. It doesn't make us the best in the league at it because we have less scoring chains than most teams.
Yep, I don't think it means a lot given the amount we are scoring… I imagine it also points to the fact that we are conceding more inside 50's than most teams, so we have to have work it out of defence more in order to score.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

I would love to know how many of those rebound 50s scores come from intercept marks or general play
This stat could be coming from when we're given the ball from a point

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

and as for the slow starts
instead of AR giving them a pre-game "talk"
Im thinking a good stiff espresso might be in order

Seeya
ThomasR
Club Player

Re: Saints no 1 in scoring chains from back 50

Worth noting that we are number 1 by percentage and not amount. Which implies that we are 18th in terms of percentage of chains starting from outside the back 50.

Given that we are the 4th-lowest scoring team of the year - that is the real stat.

ace
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Wed 25 Jul 2018 1:03pm That's a high proportion of our scoring chains. It doesn't make us the best in the league at it because we have less scoring chains than most teams.
It means we a cr@p at scoring from other methods, like centre bounces, throw ins, other stoppages and contested play in the forward line.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA