Saints will bounce back into the middle six pack in 2019

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Saints will bounce back into the middle six pack in 2019

Put your mortgage on it. We will finish in the middle 6 somewhere. 7th to 12th.

#After we get another pre-season into the heap of under 25's on the list we will see natural improvement with them.
#Add 4-5 quality quality players (fingers crossed but they are out there to get). We need to offer big $ and contacts and/or big pickup fringe players from the top 4 sides that can play.
#Change up the assiatants and gameplan, its a must and it will happen. Harvey back will give us a midfield boost.
#A 2nd year training and being settled at Moorabbin will help too.
#Discard those on the list not up to it or won't improve - especially the senior players over 25
#Drafting of a good mid in top 5

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints will bounce back into the middle six pack in 2019

Add 4-5 quality players... LOL nice one parkey. Why not add 10-12? :| :idea:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

All we need to do is recruit lynch, McGovern, wines, Shiel & Sloane...

Myron Gaines
Club Player

We are destined for failure as long as we have a muppet coach in charge. Next year will be worse.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

dragit wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 2:50pm Add 4-5 quality players... LOL nice one parkey. Why not add 10-12? :| :idea:
No. Only 4 or 5 are needed. 10 is ridiculous.

Where we will finish then <edited by mods>? Contribute something semi valuable to the thread perhaps. Its not hard.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Myron Gaines wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 3:22pm We are destined for failure as long as we have a muppet coach in charge. Next year will be worse.
Disagree and I highly think Richo is staying...like it or not.

The fact the media aren't really that concerned about AR's future usually tells us something.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 3:32pm
The fact the media aren't really that concerned about AR's future usually tells us something.
All it tells us is that our Board are not willing to move him on.

What the media are telling us at present is that onfield we are a joke and to be laughed at...

I would much rather be feared than pitied.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
longtimesaint
Club Player

Myron Gaines wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 3:22pm We are destined for failure as long as we have a muppet coach in charge. Next year will be worse.

Richo will stay as there is no viable alternative.
If he was sacked we pay out up to a million and then have to find someone better.
Clarkson is a pipe dream and where do we get an experienced coach - Roos at 2.5 mill. Per year if we can talk him in to it or do we try to get Blight or Lethal out of retirement.
The next alternative is to get an untried assistant like Banger with possible worse pain in the learning curve.

One year will be our year
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 2:44pm
#Add 4-5 quality quality players (fingers crossed but they are out there to get).
Agree that would make a difference, BUT the flaw in your plan is that in the club's entire history that we have done this I think only twice. In the 60's with out Tassie Raid and at the start of the naughties when Waldron and GT combined with others like Kellet, Ryan etc attracted some real talent to the Saints.

After that our next best was when we grabbed Foschini and Morwood in the one year.

I doubt that we could land more than 2 established quality players in the one year, and history shows that even one is hard for us to actually gain in one year.

It is the type of thing that needs to be done if the Saints are get our ship back on course. But do we have the offield crew that can get this done?

Our dramatis personæ looks decidely uncast at present, and there seems to huge dependence on Lethlean who may only be using us as a stopgap in rebuilding his career.

Where oh wear are our modern day Drake and Huggins at present? Only then will our dramatis personæ be cast suitably with knowledge, drive, will and ability to get the job done.

In the meantime who will convince the likes of a Gaff or a McGovern to join us?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 4:05pm
Richo will stay as there is no viable alternative.
If he was sacked we pay out up to a million and then have to find someone better.
It depends on his contract. While yes contracted for longer it may well have an agreed notice and pay out period of say only 3 months. The $million is only speculation, and is not fact.
longtimesaint wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 4:05pm then have to find someone better.[/b]
Well history would indicate that the odds of landing someone actually worse is low....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Carlton and the Suns are the only teams we can be certain of finishing above next season.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 3:30pm
dragit wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 2:50pm Add 4-5 quality players... LOL nice one parkey. Why not add 10-12? :| :idea:

Where we will finish then smartarse? Contribute something semi valuable to the thread perhaps. Its not hard.
So… if we get a bunch of quality players in and our current players improve a lot then we will be better next year?

Profound stuff mate.

Nothing you have predicted has come true, so I'll add this to the big steaming pile.

I'm tipping we don't add 4-5 quality players next year.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

dragit wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 4:29pm
parkeysainter wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 3:30pm

Where we will finish then smartarse? Contribute something semi valuable to the thread perhaps. Its not hard.
So… if we get a bunch of quality players in and our current players improve a lot then we will be better next year?

Profound stuff mate.

Nothing you have predicted has come true, so I'll add this to the big steaming pile.

I'm tipping we don't add 4-5 quality players next year.
Never said it was profound and it is the truth. We might not add 4-5 players but we definitely can try and my whispers tell me we are trying harder than any recent season since the era of Ross Lyon.

Predicted? Lol. Sorry, I'm not David Blain although I wish I was. This is not a contest on here either. I'm getting sick of this nitpicking and bickering s*** on here from some posters over who said what. Talk about the footy and the Saints. Its what the f****** forum was created for and its not a difficult concept to fathom in the cosmic balance of life.
Last edited by parkeysainter on Sat 21 Jul 2018 4:50pm, edited 2 times in total.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 4:19pm
parkeysainter wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 2:44pm
#Add 4-5 quality quality players (fingers crossed but they are out there to get).
Agree that would make a difference, BUT the flaw in your plan is that in the club's entire history that we have done this I think only twice. In the 60's with out Tassie Raid and at the start of the naughties when Waldron and GT combined with others like Kellet, Ryan etc attracted some real talent to the Saints.

After that our next best was when we grabbed Foschini and Morwood in the one year.

I doubt that we could land more than 2 established quality players in the one year, and history shows that even one is hard for us to actually gain in one year.

It is the type of thing that needs to be done if the Saints are get our ship back on course. But do we have the offield crew that can get this done?

Our dramatis personæ looks decidely uncast at present, and there seems to huge dependence on Lethlean who may only be using us as a stopgap in rebuilding his career.

Where oh wear are our modern day Drake and Huggins at present? Only then will our dramatis personæ be cast suitably with knowledge, drive, will and ability to get the job done.

In the meantime who will convince the likes of a Gaff or a McGovern to join us?
Lets see what happens post season first. The Saints are trying very hard to being in players at the end of the year.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 4:44pm my whispers tell me…
Your whispers are in your head mate and you should stop trying to pass them off as inside mail, it's becoming embarrassing.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

dragit wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 5:06pm
parkeysainter wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 4:44pm my whispers tell me…
Your whispers are in your head mate and you should stop trying to pass them off as inside mail, it's becoming embarrassing.
Yeah. Whatever Con G. Talk about the Saints and the footy. Its very easy.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

LOL

🙋🏿‍♂️

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
takeaway
Club Player

I reckon you have got it pretty right parkey, subject to injuries next year.

Don't see how we would be able to get 4-5 quality players, that would be very hard to achieve. Two decent players would help a lot, plus a high draft pick mid, and maybe we will trade for a better draft position after our first pick.
Agree with the other points, but don't know what Harvs is actually like as a coach.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

takeaway wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 6:06pm I reckon you have got it pretty right parkey, subject to injuries next year.

Don't see how we would be able to get 4-5 quality players, that would be very hard to achieve. Two decent players would help a lot, plus a high draft pick mid, and maybe we will trade for a better draft position after our first pick.
Agree with the other points, but don't know what Harvs is actually like as a coach.
Finally. Some common sense.

I don't expect us to get 4-5 A graders, but its possible we can trade in some good players and pick up a FA or two.
E.g. Players of decent quality like Anthony Miles - Tigers, Dom Sheed - WCE, Tom Wallis - Bulldogs, Jared Polec - Port for example.

All our under 25's are looking good, they just need 2-3 years to get to their best.

Harves seems to be doing a good job with Collingwood's midfield.

Also forget to add why we will make the middle 6 pack next year:
#We will have a bottom 6 side draw in 2019 so in turn we will have a much easier draw

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Is anyone considering the impact of Rule changes? It seems that its happening and will be significant. Certainly that's relevant to what our List should look like.

Decongestion measures, would change things significantly. Richmond would need to get Lynch and another key defender that could actually defend man on man or slide rapidly. Their current List and gameplan would be ineffective if Rule changes impose decongestion and result in forwards staying at home.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

why would harvs leave a possible premiership next year, if its just to take on the same role under the worst performed coach in our history?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Myron Gaines
Club Player

Duh. Of course he’s sticking around. The current board only recently extended his contract they are not about to admit to that mistake by sacking him now. Make no mistake if they didn’t extend his contract he’d be gone by the end of the season. There’s enough evidence to suggest he’s not up to it. He’s a joke & regarded as a simpleton amongst his peers in the industry. He’s a big reason why out culture is no longer about winning games of football. We are the new Melbourne Demons under Mark Neeld.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

To improve to 9th we will need to pass about 8 sides. The sides above and one or two below us will also improve so we need to improve a heck of a lot more in a short time and in key areas - Ruck, key forward, rebounding defenders, class mids. I hope you are right Parky but who is going to drive improvement, are we not unimproving to back where we started 5 years ago with a fool for a coach who for some unfathomable reason is rusted on. Where are the smarts to make it all doable. if there is a drastic clean out of players (at least 6) and coaches at season's end then I will buy in to your enthusiasm, but AR is such a dead hand on everything I don't feel optimistic - and I used to.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 6:06pm I reckon you have got it pretty right parkey, subject to injuries next year.
You and parkey seem to agree a hell of a lot. You're on the same wavelength like a pair of characters in a film I saw once ...Lloyd and Harry

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

No way in hell are we going to land 4-5 good players. Gaff would be perfect for us but he'd be mad to come to such a poorly performing team. Polec seems more realistic and might be the best FA we have an actual chance of luring with cash. Dahlhaus might be gettable as well and would improve our team. So hypothetically let's say we grab Polec and Dahlhaus as FA's for some speed and run, what does our round 1 team look like next year (assuming Richo is still coach and continues with his predictable selections)

B: Webster, Brown, Geary
HB: Savage, Carlisle, Roberton
C: Acres, Steele, Polec
HF: Billings, Bruce, Dahlhaus
F: Membrey, McCartin, Gresham

Foll: Hickey, Steven, Ross
Int: Armitage, Clark, Dunstan, Sinclair

That's a best-case scenario in regards to recruiting (unless we get a new coach and strategy) and injuries and that team is still just a 12th-14th kind of proposition