As List Manager for 2018 what would you do.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SMS
Club Player

As List Manager for 2018 what would you do.

IF I was the list manager I would do the following

Delist
Armitage
Wright
Minchington
Roberton :(
K.Stevens :(
Gilbert

Trade
Ross (First Round Pick)
Newnes (Second Round Pick)

Recruit
MCGOVERN
*JOSH KELLY (2019) - forget Gaff and Sloane

Draft
Pick 4: Walsh or B.Smith (Tough True Mids)
Pick 15(Ross): Speed
Round 2: Best Available
Round 4: Tallest Player available - Ruck
Rookie Draft: Mature aged Midfielder
Cat B Basketballer guy as ruckman

Replaces Slowness with Speed. Frees up cap for mcgovern and kelly.

INS: B.Smith,Quality Speed, Rnd 4, 2 rookies, McGovern
OUTS: Ross, Newnes, Gilbert and co.

if we were able to achieve he above and theres no reason why not then 2020 would be a very good year

1. Delist Armitage
He is useless in every way. People will say we need his seniorship/leadership. Do we? I think not. I think its hindering us. we are in this position because of coaches and senior players. Clean them out

2. Trade Ross and Newnes
We have too many inside mids. Ross has value. we need to act now. Dunstan and Steele will
be better players but Ross atm has the value. Ross also as a leader has been horrific. get him
out for a round 1 pick.

Newnes has value. Again his leadership is horrific and is best suited forward butwe dont need him
there. could get a good pick for him. Enduarance king who cares. he is shite.

3. Geary steps down as captain
obvious reasons.
Last edited by SMS on Mon 18 Jun 2018 9:52am, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: As List Manager for 2018 what would you do.

What a terrible post.

Why so disrespectful to Armo. They would not have won the game without him saturday evening.

You are so wrong about Joyce too. The president said at the Queensland supporters group lunchoen that Joyce would have been picked in the team had brown not come up.

Trade Ross? You must be f****** joking.

Robbo, in his likes and dislikes in the hun this morning has this to say about Ross:

3. Seb Ross

Ross was one of St Kilda’s leaders under scrutiny and his response had to come on the field. His final quarter was a masterclass in determination. As the spirit was sucked from Gold Coast, Ross and Jack Steven grabbed the moment for the Saints. Ross had eight touches plus five contested possessions, three clearances and two inside-50s in the final quarter.

You obviously didn't watch the match.

SMS
Club Player

The above post is why we will never win a flag.

so you think everything is fine then and we should continue as is. that the leadeeship of ross newnes gilbert geary and armitage is spot on and fanatastic??

i forgot about kstevens and roberton so fine you can keep joyce.

I said ROSS has value but why keep him when we have Dunstan Steele and more importantly a chance to get young talent in. gotta give to get. and giving ross is a great idea.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

There is not a club in the country that will give us a first round pick for Ross or a second round pick for Newness. pick #20 - #30 best for Ross and #35-#45 for Newness.

If you can get it a first and second rounder for both, let's do it.

Armo is just off his best game of the season and deserves the rest of the year to see if he can get his body right to go on.

Wright and Minch I agree with, and I'd like to see Gilbo remain if he is happy to play at Sandy and help mentor the young guys coming through and be back up.

Haven't seen enough of Joyce to make a call.

I'd be happy for Brown to retire as there is no upside to him and I believe his leadership is overrated.
I think Austin shows enough to be played consistently.

Lastly McGovern has zero interest in us, and I'm purely speculating but I'd be putting my money on Kelly going to a club with a lot more upside than us.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SMS
Club Player

GOLD COAST game again lets remember it was them that ran out of steam. We look great when teams have put cue in rack. NOT good enough . REAL leadership wouldnt have allowed us to be in that position.

Club Player

Wellll.... interesting points and some worth a debate. I don't know the depth of the draft pool, but if it is as deep as some say then we need another pick. That will take a player with some upside - Ross fits the bill and as he has some limitations (i.e. his kicking) that limit his effectiveness he could be the one to go. A big possession winner but much as has been said about many other big possession winners- does he hurt you?
I agree to an extent with those who see the benefits of having Armo in the side - he was good on the w/e and more damaging than Ross- and if he had kicked straight then would possibly have been BOG. But having Ross, Dunstan and Armo in the same team is too much of the same type - all too one sided, not quick, no outside run forward.
We need to improve our field kicking - those mid career players who have not been able to do it- like Ross, will still be handing the ball over at the end. (see Gilbert, Geary).
Tough times need tough decisions. I would trade Ross.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 9:52am The above post is why we will never win a flag.

so you think everything is fine then and we should continue as is. that the leadeeship of ross newnes gilbert geary and armitage is spot on and fanatastic??

I said ROSS has value but why keep him when we have Dunstan Steele and more importantly a chance to get young talent in. gotta give to get. and giving ross is a great idea.
No, it is a f****** shitty idea.
Ross won the Saints best and fairest last year and was the sides captain on Saturday.

Yeah, you might get a first round pick for him but that pick could well turn out to be a dud.

Ross is one of the few good players we have.

Roberton won't be delisted.

Stevens won't play again.

Trading out our few good players may well be why we wont win another flag, not my post ffs

What have we ever got in return for star saints players in the past? f*** all, that's what.

SMS
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 10:05am
SMS wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 9:52am The above post is why we will never win a flag.

No, it is a f****** shitty idea.
Ross won the Saints best and fairest last year and was the sides captain on Saturday.

Yeah, you might get a first round pick for him but that pick could well turn out to be a dud.

Ross is one of the few good players we have.

Roberton won't be delisted.

Stevens won't play again.

Trading out our few good players may well be why we wont win another flag, not my post ffs

What have we ever got in return for star saints players in the past? f*** all, that's what.
Roberton is cooked. His heart is f***ed unfortunetly.
He will be Retired.

I dont see why you dont see this.
We must trade Ross. End of story. He has market value yet we dont need him. Same with newnes. As a bonus we need current leaders gone THEY FAILED MASSIVELY.
40+ points down against the worst team in the comp. we won because THEY lost it. THEY ran out of legs. McKenzie and Gresham were the main two which is great.

Why you want Ross and Armitage going forward is beyond me. They are b graders on their best day and c grade most of the time.
we need to do better.

Put forward what YOU would do then. We need picks! How do we get them? Are you suggesting we dont need to change leaders and list? that we should simply trade in pick 4 and a bunch of rookies to replace delisted people? you seriius????

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Midfielders, midfielders and midfielders. Why is McGovern in the conversation? Last time I checked we had 5 key defenders on our List. One of them (Carlisle) is a gun and three of them (I include Goddard) have potential, particularly Austin.

The_President
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 10:42am Midfielders, midfielders and midfielders. Why is McGovern in the conversation? Last time I checked we had 5 key defenders on our List. One of them (Carlisle) is a gun and three of them (I include Goddard) have potential, particularly Austin.

Goddard is properly cooked.

The_President
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 10:42am Midfielders, midfielders and midfielders. Why is McGovern in the conversation? Last time I checked we had 5 key defenders on our List. One of them (Carlisle) is a gun and three of them (I include Goddard) have potential, particularly Austin.

Goddard is properly cooked.

The_President
Club Player

How can we try and get multiple picks inside the top 10?

That should be the aim.

SMS
Club Player

The_President wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 10:56am How can we try and get multiple picks inside the top 10?

That should be the aim.
By trading Ross or Dunstan and Newnes

spert
Saintsational Legend

Trade for leg speed and disposal skills as we really lack line-breakers. We saw how the GC caught us out with rebound and fast running, and thankfully they are crap, but any other team quality team has killed us with this. I would be going after midfield class, then maybe a strong half forward

The_President
Club Player

SMS wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 11:08am
The_President wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 10:56am How can we try and get multiple picks inside the top 10?

That should be the aim.
Tend to agree RE: Ross... gets plenty of the ball and looks good for us because out midfield just isn't good. But in comparison to the rest of the league, he isn't in the top 20 mids.

The_President
Club Player

spert wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 11:26am Trade for leg speed and disposal skills as we really lack line-breakers. We saw how the GC caught us out with rebound and fast running, and thankfully they are crap, but any other team quality team has killed us with this. I would be going after midfield class, then maybe a strong half forward
I feel like we're pretty loaded up when it comes to forwards - admittedly, I don't like us playing Weller at all, but I think our forward line would function much better with some pace and class in the midfield that can hit them on the lead.

The_President
Club Player

How many goals would Membrey kick if he was leading out to Shiel and Kelly!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Spicy thread…

My first move would be to move Mav on… would take a 5th rounder or mars bar.

I wouldn't give up on Roberton yet.

I don't think Kelly will want to come for any money at the moment and would take 2 X top 10 picks anyway.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 11:29am
SMS wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 11:08am

That should be the aim.
Tend to agree RE: Ross... gets plenty of the ball and looks good for us because out midfield just isn't good. But in comparison to the rest of the league, he isn't in the top 20 mids.
no he isn't - and never will be, but we wouldn't get a first rounder for him. And with our draft record i'd not like our chances of getting better with what we got for him.
I'd happily trade newnes for a second rounder though. can't see an upside to him - as a leader he doesn't, as a player he is decidedly average and i can't see him improving.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

spert wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 11:26am Trade for leg speed and disposal skills as we really lack line-breakers. We saw how the GC caught us out with rebound and fast running, and thankfully they are crap, but any other team quality team has killed us with this. I would be going after midfield class, then maybe a strong half forward
^ This.

On a comparison basis - imagine if Harbrow and Martin played for us on the weekend and conversely - Dunstan and Newnes had played for the Suns.

That's the flipside of what we need to remove and what we need to get.

With Harbrow and Martin's line-breaking run and elite footskills replacing Dunstan's one-paced plodding + poor footskills and Newnes' poor footskills & decision-making - we'd be quite a competitive team.

At that point - I'd be quite enthused about us going forward. As it is though - we're pox and not going to get much better unless bravery is shown in list management/re-shaping.

Go you red, black & white warriors
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

As list manager I wouldn’t be making wholesale changes. I’d be looking to add whatever top end talent is available, of course, and to get the best kid available at the draft.

However I would be strongly recommending to the senior coach - whoever that may be - that he deploy his existing resources somewhat differently.

I don’t think it’s a great list, but nor is it as bad as results would suggest. We’re not without talent, we just need it to jell.

chico2001
Club Player

I wouldnt move Seb Ross on, he can get the ball. We dont have any others like that apart from Jack steven. Agree with moving Armitage on no matter what his supporters say plus Gilbert and Wright. Coach should put Newnes on notice right now or trade him off to the gold coast or carlton at end of year,they would pick him up.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Shaun Burgoyne would be very handy in the team right now.

A player that can lead the way when there is a run againat us. It's taking too long for a player or players to take the initiative to roll up the sleeves and crack in when it's needed.

We had to wait for DMac and Hunter to show the way in the 4th on Saturday before a few others jumped onboard.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Oh yeah and talk of moving Sebby on is ridiculous.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 12:09pm
^ This.

On a comparison basis - imagine if Harbrow and Martin played for us on the weekend and conversely - Dunstan and Newnes had played for the Suns.

That's the flipside of what we need to remove and what we need to get.

With Harbrow and Martin's line-breaking run and elite footskills replacing Dunstan's one-paced plodding + poor footskills and Newnes' poor footskills & decision-making - we'd be quite a competitive team.

At that point - I'd be quite enthused about us going forward. As it is though - we're pox and not going to get much better unless bravery is shown in list management/re-shaping.

I'd trade Dunstan before I would trade Ross. Ross is a keeper.

ON Saturday Dunstan and Rice gave up chasing a suns player...just gave up.

The suns player then waltzed into an open goal'

Eade was disgusted and said so while showing the footage on that Sunday morning show on 7 mate.

One of Hickey or longer has trade value to clubs like Geelong or GWS.

Newnes is a maybe, but you need to be careful.

Carlton is shite but there are plenty of ex blues running around staring with other clubs.

Martin is someone I would look at. Image him and Freeman in the side together.