McCartin Concern

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

McCartin Concern

Even before knocks x 2

He was clearly struggling with his health issue.......

Slow.....unfit.....no second effort (energy)

I f he is out for a couple I am concerned it is not just the knock (whiplash) contributing........

He was struggling to even compete at any level on Sunday......

saint4life
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: McCartin Concern

chook23 wrote:Even before knocks x 2

I f he is out for a couple I am concerned it is not just the knock (whiplash) contributing........

It was reported he had hypoglycaemia at the start of the second term. A serious drop in blood sugar due to
his diabetes not being under control (so to speak - don’t judge him without the facts).

If severe, a person can end up in a coma and die. If you get onto it quickly, you get some sugary food into the person ASAP and that perks them up. The condition makes a diabetic very lethargic/drowsy.

FWIW I’ve seen this happen to someone, and it’s quite unsettling to see.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm concerned that his health issues are a serious impediment and it appears he won't reach his full potential. I know it's stating the obvious but how much longer can he go for?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:

It was reported he had hypoglycaemia at the start of the second term. A serious drop in blood sugar due to
his diabetes not being under control (so to speak - don’t judge him without the facts).

If severe, a person can end up in a coma and die. If you get onto it quickly, you get some sugary food into the person ASAP and that perks them up. The condition makes a diabetic very lethargic/drowsy.

I think you have taken my post slightly wrong.......what you mentioned I was aware there was an issue....

my concern is health......if similar occurs on a regular basis I hope he retires for his sake......

football and st kilda are very much secondary.

saint4life
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

I think you have taken my post slightly wrong.......what you mentioned I was aware there was an issue....

my concern is health......if similar occurs on a regular basis I hope he retires for his sake......

Agree. He simply will have no choice, unless some
miracle cure for diabetes is found very soon.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

:?: :?:
You a doctor?? where did you get/obtain your medical certificate from?

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

And all those who bleated the company message at the time he was drafted that his Diabetes wouldnt be an issue.
You could barely raise it without getting shouted down.

Nee!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Surely a call will be made on him at the end of the year? He has shown only tiny glimpses this year and so far is not worth persevering with. He doesn't have the awareness or appear physically capable of playing at this level. Sad, but true. We all want him to succeed but prior to getting injured on Sunday he looked slow and incapable of giving 2nd efforts. Even in the 1st quarter, the first handball to Gresham that set up our goal, he lumbers after the ball and falls over as he gives the handpass. The game just moves too quickly for him. And now, no doubt they will take a cautious approach (which I don't blame them) and he'll be out for another 6 weeks or so. He'll come back through the VFL. He's always been one concussion away from permanent retirement and I for one don't want to see a kid permanently injured partly because the game he's playing is beyond his capabilities. It's been 4 years. I can only imagine that the only reason the club would hold onto him at the end of the year was because they don't want the embarrassment of Paddy developing into a player at another club, much like Tom Lynch.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

A disaster.

We need to sign Trout up to 2022 in case someone steals him.

takeaway
Club Player

Moods wrote:Surely a call will be made on him at the end of the year? He has shown only tiny glimpses this year and so far is not worth persevering with. He doesn't have the awareness or appear physically capable of playing at this level. Sad, but true. We all want him to succeed but prior to getting injured on Sunday he looked slow and incapable of giving 2nd efforts. Even in the 1st quarter, the first handball to Gresham that set up our goal, he lumbers after the ball and falls over as he gives the handpass. The game just moves too quickly for him. And now, no doubt they will take a cautious approach (which I don't blame them) and he'll be out for another 6 weeks or so. He'll come back through the VFL. He's always been one concussion away from permanent retirement and I for one don't want to see a kid permanently injured partly because the game he's playing is beyond his capabilities. It's been 4 years. I can only imagine that the only reason the club would hold onto him at the end of the year was because they don't want the embarrassment of Paddy developing into a player at another club, much like Tom Lynch.
Before last week quite a few on here were commenting on improvements Paddy was showing, despite getting poor delivery, mostly bombed on his head with 2 opponents, and being the only tall forward. He obviously was not 100% last week, confirmed by reports, and I agree looked slow, but how was he actually feeling at the time? He looked lethargic and probably was. I read somewhere he was not that well the night before.

He will never be quick, as with a lot of big forwards, but the game is certainly not too fast for him, he reads the play well, leads very well, and to the right spots. If he was playing for Hawthorn or one of the better sides, he would be much more of a threat. Give him delivery, and he will respond. We need another tall mobile forward down there at least some of the time to take the pressure off and compiiment Paddy & Membrey.

He is contracted to 2020, big forwards take quite a while, a la Tom Hawkins, who incidentally was not as effective as Paddy when we played Geelong. For me he should be played as much as possible, and be reviewed in 2020. Probably will be resigned on a larger contract, and deserve it.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote:
Moods wrote:Surely a call will be made on him at the end of the year? He has shown only tiny glimpses this year and so far is not worth persevering with. He doesn't have the awareness or appear physically capable of playing at this level. Sad, but true. We all want him to succeed but prior to getting injured on Sunday he looked slow and incapable of giving 2nd efforts. Even in the 1st quarter, the first handball to Gresham that set up our goal, he lumbers after the ball and falls over as he gives the handpass. The game just moves too quickly for him. And now, no doubt they will take a cautious approach (which I don't blame them) and he'll be out for another 6 weeks or so. He'll come back through the VFL. He's always been one concussion away from permanent retirement and I for one don't want to see a kid permanently injured partly because the game he's playing is beyond his capabilities. It's been 4 years. I can only imagine that the only reason the club would hold onto him at the end of the year was because they don't want the embarrassment of Paddy developing into a player at another club, much like Tom Lynch.
Before last week quite a few on here were commenting on improvements Paddy was showing, despite getting poor delivery, mostly bombed on his head with 2 opponents, and being the only tall forward. He obviously was not 100% last week, confirmed by reports, and I agree looked slow, but how was he actually feeling at the time? He looked lethargic and probably was. I read somewhere he was not that well the night before.

He will never be quick, as with a lot of big forwards, but the game is certainly not too fast for him, he reads the play well, leads very well, and to the right spots. If he was playing for Hawthorn or one of the better sides, he would be much more of a threat. Give him delivery, and he will respond. We need another tall mobile forward down there at least some of the time to take the pressure off and compiiment Paddy & Membrey.

He is contracted to 2020, big forwards take quite a while, a la Tom Hawkins, who incidentally was not as effective as Paddy when we played Geelong. For me he should be played as much as possible, and be reviewed in 2020. Probably will be resigned on a larger contract, and deserve it.
It really all comes down to how effective he and the club can manage his diabetes. That’s the real story I reckon.

I do wonder if he should’ve been benched from quarter time onwards given his issues at the first break. Maybe simply made the wrong call?? Hindsight can be wonderful.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Surely should take many weeks off and just get it right.
His overall health way more important than football.
We blew this pick, time to accept facts.
If he makes it, IF...we have a GOP.
Fair enough.
But time to accept facts.

To the top
SS Life Member

So many "experts"

So little knowledge

Team structure has improved with the selection of Hickey but we are still deficient in many areas being our attack with Membrey at midfielder size as a key forward, the lack of mid sized options with goal kicking ability (ie "defensive" forwards such as Weller and who can not contribute to midfield rotations), mid field where we lack support for Steven currently so run and carry with skills instead of big bodies who are slow and therefore either handball or tackle because they do not have a break away ability and defence where we rely on lock down players with no rebound abilities - and where a lack of pace sees the protecting of zones instead of putting pressure on ball carriers hence the options other side seem to have and we do not

Into this mix Mc Cartin is one out as a target forward hence the double teaming which adds to the other issues our structure delivers to us

To pick on any one player is naive

It is the structure of our team and the deficiencies we have on our List

This is why the progress of Freeman is so vital because his skills address a structural deficiency we have and a very serious structural deficiency which is impacting on team performance

In regards comparisons with Melbourne we played in Grand Finals in 2009 and 2010 in a different competition (no "Free Agency"etc) When did Melbourne choose Watts at Number 1 and for how long have they been cellar dwellers? That is the history of rebuilds thru the Draft noting the benefits given to Entry teams with Draft picks have added to the difficulty

The AFL has messed up big time

Then we have that Victorian "icon" and font of all knowledge calling certain Presidents together to take back control of the code - and excluding certain Clubs which obviously do not rate in the opinion of the "wealthy"

Divide and rule

With the emphasis on rule - to our advantage exclusively

And replicating the society we currently survive in

I see the kids will be relieved from watering the garden because rain is due in Melbourne!!!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he's done.

This is his peak.

Most likely we have been sold a lemon. His diabetes is proving to be unmanageable for an AFL footballer. I wonder what transparency there was with this prior to his draft.

I don't know what his trade value is, or what his contract status is... but what are we gonna do?

No currency.

No Value.

Biggest bust ever.

Ever. Freshwater fish should be given the arse just on the back of this ****.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Got crunched and cannot play this week if that was Riewoldt 10 years ago everyone would be spewing he copped a whack thats put him out. The bloke lead for a ball with a opponent charging into his space and somehow a free went the other way. He then was polaxed in the back later giving him whip lash hardly his fault.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
DJ Higgins
Club Player

our diabetic gamble with the #1 draft pick didn't work and will most likely go down as one of the worst uses of the best pick. We got a player with a condition that we can not manage at an AFL level. Every time he has to have extended breaks to get his blood sugar right is extra time other players have to play to cover for him. i.e. our bench is reduced to 3 players. If he was kicking bags then fine but he isn't.

Want to know he's worth, try to trade him at year end, what will we honestly get?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:our diabetic gamble with the #1 draft pick didn't work and will most likely go down as one of the worst uses of the best pick. We got a player with a condition that we can not manage at an AFL level. Every time he has to have extended breaks to get his blood sugar right is extra time other players have to play to cover for him. i.e. our bench is reduced to 3 players. If he was kicking bags then fine but he isn't.

Want to know he's worth, try to trade him at year end, what will we honestly get?
He's played 22 games in a rubbish side as a key forward how would a gun be going with that?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
DJ Higgins
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
He's played 22 games in a rubbish side as a key forward how would a gun be going with that?
Fair point but you may not be a gun but you should stand out if you are any good and he doesn't. And he is the main focus up forward. I don't rate him and haven't for a while. For someone with good hands he tends to drop a lot of sodas, is below average regarding accuracy can not run at AFL level and doesn't offer a lot of second or third efforts.

He may turn it around in which case I will say I was wrong but my question to you and other people who keep defending him is how many sub par performances are you willing to tolerate before you realise that maybe we screwed up? Good news is you have up until 2020 to make up your decision

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:our diabetic gamble with the #1 draft pick didn't work and will most likely go down as one of the worst uses of the best pick. We got a player with a condition that we can not manage at an AFL level. Every time he has to have extended breaks to get his blood sugar right is extra time other players have to play to cover for him. i.e. our bench is reduced to 3 players. If he was kicking bags then fine but he isn't.

ask Tony

bigred
Saintsational Legend

McCartin has played 29 games.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

shows a bit, goes out with injury or health complications, shows a bit, goes out with injury or health complications,
shows a bit, goes out with injury or health complications, shows a bit, goes out with injury or health complications,
shows a bit, goes out with injury or health complications, shows a bit, goes out with injury or health complications. etc

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
stonecold
SS Life Member

desertsaint wrote:shows a bit, goes out with injury or health complications, shows a bit, goes out with injury or health complications,
shows a bit, goes out with injury or health complications, shows a bit, goes out with injury or health complications. etc
Think we get your point!!!!!

etc, etc, etc!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!! :wink:

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saintfox
Club Player

Should be played in a pocket till he's build his confidence.

Be the best you can ... If not have fun trying....
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saintfox wrote:Should be played in a pocket till he's build his confidence.
The VFL more like it

saint6709
Club Player

My take on it is that unfortunately for the kid himself and the club and the supporters - he looks a bit like a big under 12 kid playing in the under 14's - he can at least match it in size with most of the other kids on the field - but can't match their thinking, strength, speed, agility etc etc and is prone to getting hurt by the older kids.
Not sure how this can be improved - clearly if he can get on top of his health and then his fitness things might change - but i think those are the 2 boxes that he needs to tick first