This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

In 2017:-

Lost to Melbourne by 30 points
Lost to West Coast by 19 points
Beat Brisbane by 31 points (at Docklands)
Beat Collingwood by 14 points
Lost to Geelong by 38 points (at Docklands)

THEN

We beat Hawthorn in Tasmania by 75 points

Riewoldt kicked 4, Bruce and Membrey 3 each and Gresham, Roberton, Stevens and Weller 2 each

Steven had 36 touches, Montagna 33 Ross 32 and a host of others above 20

THEN

We beat GWS by 23 points

Gresham kicked 3, Billings, Wright, Acres and Steven 2 each

Riewoldt had 13 touches and did not kick a gaol and Montagna had 18

So what has changed?

No doubt the loss of the experienced Riewoldt and Montagna has seen the focus of opposition sides on other players, and not our remainder experienced players because Geary does not demand attention (in fact the opposition is more than happy for the ball to be in his hands), Brown does not demand attention, Armitage is returning from a season out and Gilbert was only selected last week and neither would be the focus of opposition analysis anyway.

So the opposition attention is coming on the likes of Billings and Acres as our damaging players with ball in hand and Mc Cartin as our key forward.

A subtle but telling change.

No doubt we are impeded by deficiencies in certain players and a lack of balance on the field - hence "structuring up" to mask these deficiencies, and then being found out because of the very same deficiencies.

So we have "role" players guarding space.

There have been some positive signs from Dunstan and Acres (Drafted a pick apart), from Mc Cartin (absent Bruce and Membrey so the focus increases) and from the performance of Hickey and Marshall in the ruck and around the ground, so we hope that continues noting also the conditions at Geelong

Interestingly, in those Hawthorn and GWS wins, Longer had 5 handpasses and 2 marks and 4 handpasses and 1 mark respectively.

The lack of experience I have covered, with only Geary, Gilbert, Armitage and Brown so deficient against any other Club in terms of ability to impact the result of a game.

Those with significant deficiencies include Newnes (accountability and under pressure overhead), Geary (accountability and disposal), Steele (one dimensional with tackling and handball under pressure), Brown (one dimensional), Lonie (no impact), Webster (loses his feet and deficient in an overhead contest) and Savage (unaccountable and contest).

The likes of some we still watch and wait - but they have youth on their side.

The 2 we most recently Drafted and who have had games have shown some promise - noting that Roberton is the only 2 sided player we have.

So, given those brief observations of ability (deficiencies we need to transition from) and structure (lacking outside skills to support Steven who is too easliy a defensive focus and "role" players to cover the skill deficiencies), what has changed from 12 months ago, leading into the abysmal performance v Essendon where they "torched" us on the outside as they have often done, even with the Lyon sides?

Can we do what we did in 2017 and win the next 2?

And, if not why not?

Is it just down to Riewoldt, Montagna, Bruce, Membrey and Roberton being absent?

Is it the deficiencies of players who keep getting selected?

Is it structure, that we can be "got" on the outside just too easliy despite winning the contested ball and hence our turnovers being such a negative to us?

As 2018 evolves, and having a firm eye on 2019, a further high Draft Pick and hopefully a FA with the credentials to address our structural deficiencies, I would look to see the following in the later half of 2018:-

Gilbert Goddard White
Roberton Carlisle Clark
Freeman Acres Coffield
Billings Bruce Battle
Gresham Mc Cartin Membrey
Hickey Dunstan Steven
Marshall Sinclair Ross Steele

Gilbert because we need some experience and he has height, pace and versatility which our other experienced players do not have

But he and Goddard are under pressure from Clavarino and Austin

Ross and Steele? Hopefully someone we have not seen as yet adds outside skills because "inside" is over laden by 1.

Armitage in form would replace Steele because Armitage is a dangerous player with offensive capabilities able to "hit the scoreboard"

Others like Long we wait and see because they have not really been seen.

Those we have seen and are deficient we move on from, also in regards structure.

So we watch for the signs.

Including over the next 2 Rounds given what 2017 delivered.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2017

Riewoldt and Montagna both played in Rd 17 when we got thrashed by the Bombers.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Very well analysed and written.
If I didn't know better I would say TTT is a club insider or spokesperson!
Hang on, not one negative word about Richo!
That's bound to upset the "grey sky brigade".

stonecold
SS Life Member

whiskers3614 wrote:Very well analysed and written.
If I didn't know better I would say TTT is a club insider or spokesperson!
Hang on, not one negative word about Richo!
That's bound to upset the "grey sky brigade".
Yes very well written indeed, however if he/she was a club insider or spokesperson, they would have Longer and Long in, just for starters!!!!!

Each to their own though!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
To the top
SS Life Member

I do not know the view on Longer at St Kilda

But I do know from elsewhere that with football being a full press code other teams enjoy that St Kilda effectively compete with 17 players on the field when Longer is selected - and instruct their rucks to position and impact according

Hence the record of opposition ruckmen when Longer is selected - invariably their teams best player

The days of a knock ruckman who does not otherwise contribute are long since past

stonecold
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:I do not know the view on Longer at St Kilda

But I do know from elsewhere that with football being a full press code other teams enjoy that St Kilda effectively compete with 17 players on the field when Longer is selected - and instruct their rucks to position and impact according

Hence the record of opposition ruckmen when Longer is selected - invariably their teams best player

The days of a knock ruckman who does not otherwise contribute are long since past
So you don't know St.Kilda's views on our players and set ups, yet, you know the views of 17 other clubs?????

Interesting, maybe your supporting the wrong team?????

To the top
SS Life Member

Not all sit with the St Kilda Cheer Squad when attending games

Some of us, because we follow St Kilda, receive invitation to opposition team support functions as guests when those teams play St Kilda

And we reciprocate for St Kilda matches

Your comments are as narrow as your view on Longer as an AFL footballer

stonecold
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:Not all sit with the St Kilda Cheer Squad when attending games

Some of us, because we follow St Kilda, receive invitation to opposition team support functions as guests when those teams play St Kilda

And we reciprocate for St Kilda matches

Your comments are as narrow as your view on Longer as an AFL footballer
Just a question, no need to get your panties in a knot, my narrow view on football and Longer, don't make me laugh, I don't sit in the cheer squad, apparently many (including yourself) know better than those at the top of the tree!!!!!

Funny little supporter, you are, however each to their own, keep up the cheering, go well!!!!!