Billings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Billings

Plays like a stereotypical inner city school boy.

takeaway
Club Player

All AFL players expect and have to cope with abuse from fans when things are not going well.

But going by the level and type of abuse hurled at players, especially Billings last Sat, mainly after the game, I wouldn't blame him for going to another club. He must have heard it.
The type of abuse was well below "normal abuse" and was a disgrace to the Saints supporters who were responsible. Quite a few were near me.

So if he goes to Essendon and fulfils his potential, good luck to him.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 10:38am All AFL players expect and have to cope with abuse from fans when things are not going well.

But going by the level and type of abuse hurled at players, especially Billings last Sat, mainly after the game, I wouldn't blame him for going to another club. He must have heard it.
The type of abuse was well below "normal abuse" and was a disgrace to the Saints supporters who were responsible. Quite a few were near me.

They reckon it's a superdraft coming up, so we should take a punt and trade him for a top 10 pick. Let's see if Essendon want him

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 5:17pm
takeaway wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 10:38am All AFL players expect and have to cope with abuse from fans when things are not going well.

They reckon it's a superdraft coming up, so we should take a punt and trade him for a top 10 pick. Let's see if Essendon want him
There is no way Essendon (especially Essendon) will part with a top 10 pick for Billings. He is worth it - but they will trade from a position of superiority.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 5:26pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 5:17pm

There is no way Essendon (especially Essendon) will part with a top 10 pick for Billings. He is worth it - but they will trade from a position of superiority.
And Essendon already has a raft of soft, small outside players. They're not the club that would be able to accommodate him.

I'd much rather Coach Beige et al move him to the half back flank where he'll see plenty of ball and let him hit targets with his field kicking (which is actually still quite good). At present - Geary is actually playing closer to half back ... imagine having someone who could distribute the ball by foot there. They could also play Brandon White off half back too as he's also an excellent kick. Not sure Coach Beige is a fan of that though.

Go you red, black & white warriors
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 6:04pm

I'd much rather Coach Beige et al move him to the half back flank where he'll see plenty of ball and let him hit targets with his field kicking (which is actually still quite good). At present - Geary is actually playing closer to half back ... imagine having someone who could distribute the ball by foot there. They could also play Brandon White off half back too as he's also an excellent kick. Not sure Coach Beige is a fan of that though.
You need to be able to defend at half back though.

Opposition will isolate him way too easily.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 6:17pm

I've never felt that Savage has really excelled in this area though.

IMO the season is already shot... why not put Billings there and force him to work on the defensive side of his game... worst case scenario this fails. What we're currently doing is already failing dismally.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 7:31pm

IMO the season is already shot... why not put Billings there and force him to work on the defensive side of his game... worst case scenario this fails. What we're currently doing is already failing dismally.
Agreed. Savage is a very ordinary defender.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Grant Birchall Bachar Houli JJ all can’t defend.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

What you're suggesting is making him the new Frankie Peckett, which isn't such a bad idea.

Peckett had few defensive skills but was often alone, sweeping the backline for cheap kicks.

If Billings has decent foot skills (as long as he's not around goal) this could be the best position for him.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 9:47pm

What you're suggesting is making him the new Frankie Peckett, which isn't such a bad idea.

Peckett had few defensive skills but was often alone, sweeping the backline for cheap kicks.

If Billings has decent foot skills (as long as he's not around goal) this could be the best position for him.
BINGO

Go you red, black & white warriors
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I can't believe how poorly this kid has played at times over the last 2 years, but I don't blame JB. I blame the poor game plan, poor tactics, poor team selection, poor coaching and poor use of a talented outside player.

If we did what you guys are suggesting ( play Billings in the backline) it means that we concede as a footy club that we got the draft pick wrong. We drafted JB as a goalkicking forward flanker who would eventually play more midfield as his body shape changed and as his fitness improved. We need to concede that our development of talented junior footballers is not up to the standard of the top 8 teams.

Let's not continue to just accept the decisions made by those in charge. The best thing to do is sack the head of our recruiting department and all those people involved in Billings recruitment and all the coaching staff invlolved in his footy development.

If we get our structures right off field then we might have hope that we'll improve as a team on field.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 7:49pm

Agreed. Savage is a very ordinary defender.
I saw Savage live in Perth, and now understand what he's doing.
He wants easy kicks, so he can use his strength- long clearing kicks-
and show the coaches that he did his job.
He must think he can forget about defending because he can kick long,
and it will make up for his severe lack of defensive pressure.
He really didn't run hard enough, pick up ANY loose Freo players-
just protected a zone, but I haven't seen any blades of grass get the ball and run away with it.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 2:17pm I can't believe how poorly this kid has played at times over the last 2 years, but I don't blame JB. I blame the poor game plan, poor tactics, poor team selection, poor coaching and poor use of a talented outside player.

If we did what you guys are suggesting ( play Billings in the backline) it means that we concede as a footy club that we got the draft pick wrong. We drafted JB as a goalkicking forward flanker who would eventually play more midfield as his body shape changed and as his fitness improved. We need to concede that our development of talented junior footballers is not up to the standard of the top 8 teams.

Let's not continue to just accept the decisions made by those in charge. The best thing to do is sack the head of our recruiting department and all those people involved in Billings recruitment and all the coaching staff invlolved in his footy development.

If we get our structures right off field then we might have hope that we'll improve as a team on field.
Well yes and no.

100% agree with you on the development.
But rather than looking at this as a concession that we drafted wrong I look at it more as a way of trying turn the kid around.
I’m not suggesting he plays as a defender forever... but for goodness sake we’re going nowhere slowly. I’d like to see the club try something to turn it all around as opposed to doing the same unsuccessful thing over and over

saynta
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 10:12am Plays like a stereotypical inner city school boy.
Just like Jordon De Goey, eh?

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Fri 25 May 2018 2:43pm
prwilkinson wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 10:12am Plays like a stereotypical inner city school boy.
Don't remember ever calling De Goey a stereotype. Jack Watts on the other hand...

saynta
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote: Fri 25 May 2018 2:50pm
saynta wrote: Fri 25 May 2018 2:43pm
Don't remember ever calling De Goey a stereotype. Jack Watts on the other hand...
De Goey is a St Kevins boy, which is an inner city school.

So in my mind, you did.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Billings is still 4th at the Saints in disposals at an average of 20 per game (10th on list). Yes, he hasn't been outstanding but he hasn't been terrible either. A bit of perspective. In a better side that is winning he becomes a better player. Its just the sort of player he is and every side needs guys like that. I guarantee that when we start playing up to the standard level of a finals side again, Billings will become A grade. He also won't his peak until around the 25-27 year old mark.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 25 May 2018 2:35pm
Scollop wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 2:17pm I can't believe how poorly this kid has played at times over the last 2 years, but I don't blame JB. I blame the poor game plan, poor tactics, poor team selection, poor coaching and poor use of a talented outside player.

Well yes and no.

100% agree with you on the development.
But rather than looking at this as a concession that we drafted wrong I look at it more as a way of trying turn the kid around.
I’m not suggesting he plays as a defender forever... but for goodness sake we’re going nowhere slowly. I’d like to see the club try something to turn it all around as opposed to doing the same unsuccessful thing over and over
Maybe you're right, but we'd need either Jimmy or Shane Savage to vacate that spot wouldn't we? You can't just find a position for the sake of 1 player. I'd rather JB was dropped many weeks ago. In the short term he may play a blinder, but the kid needed a lesson in hard love and the coach needed to make a statement. The behaviours may now be ingrained

Unless you could find a way to splice Jimmy's courage in 2 and he could share some of it around