Our ruckmen

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: Our ruckmen

Sainternist wrote:
saynta wrote:Sorry to say, are nowhere near big boy McEvoy in talent, ability or football nous.

There I said it. Taken me years to admit to myself that once again our recruiters f***ed up.
Why are we bemoaning the departure of McEvoy? Come on, that was four years ago. We got a first round pick and Savage. Not a bad deal if you ask me. Let's move on!
I think that particular first rounder was pretty close to best on yesterday too!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Our best tap ruckman is Holmes. I think on the performance of the other two he should be played next week.

older saint
SS Life Member

Reality is ruckman don't hit top form until late 20s. StKilda have never been patient with ruckman but with what they have invested they need to be now. Longer needs to do more than tap the ball and body work, but will improve on this, Hickey is ok around the ground but needs to be more physical . Ryder killed them yesterday but have a look at him at 23 24 he was more a forward than ruck and at best flashy. Kruezer a No 1 pick is only now having his bets season. Cox, Jolly, Mumford, Jacobs - all ruckman who were soo much better aged 26-30 than they were 19-25.Patience required

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:The Big Boy story makes me sick. A classic case of a player who is given plenty of opportunity, does little, goes to another club and plays well. Thanks why couldn't you do that at St Kilda. Not that I think he will ever go down as a superstar.
We were very happy to offload players and get picks. We didn't have to accept the Hawks offer but it was a very good offer.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely no stress over the Big Mac move, we came out much better off...just not better off in the ruck department. Having said that, Hickey and Longer were looking like two prize catches for a while, high draft picks who showed a lot...development has gone completely backwards, as is the style of our club.

I'd be happy if we moved Hickey on after his last game, I really don't want to see him in a Saints jumper again.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
I'd be happy if we moved Hickey on after his last game, I really don't want to see him in a Saints jumper again.
See this type of thinking really disturbs me.

The objective data says he was clearly our best ruck last year and one of the better rucks in the league. Clearly he is a lot better then that first game back after missing 12 odd weeks.

But yeah let's put a line through him after that game.

These emotional reactions drive me crazy

Richo is a great coach, no a terrible one, no he's great, no he's terrible
We're not getting better, yes we are, no we're not sack everyone
I miss the underperforming McEvoy, Longer is coming on, no he only taps, Hickey is our best ruck, no he should be delisted
Geary is a good captain, no he's a terrible one...

On and on it goes

degruch
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
degruch wrote:
See this type of thinking really disturbs me.

The objective data says he was clearly our best ruck last year and one of the better rucks in the league. Clearly he is a lot better then that first game back after missing 12 odd weeks.

But yeah let's put a line through him after that game.

These emotional reactions drive me crazy

Richo is a great coach, no a terrible one, no he's great, no he's terrible
We're not getting better, yes we are, no we're not sack everyone
I miss the underperforming McEvoy, Longer is coming on, no he only taps, Hickey is our best ruck, no he should be delisted
Geary is a good captain, no he's a terrible one...

On and on it goes
Hardly emotional, if you apply hard rational observation of his efforts that game you'll note that he has absolutely no positional awareness, no second effort, undisciplined and appears slow and lazy. Only a couple of these can be addressed by more game time, the others are attributes someone of his experience should already possess. It was far worse than a poor game. If you want to put a foot down in respect to mediocrity, you can start here.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
saynta wrote:Sorry to say, are nowhere near big boy McEvoy in talent, ability or football nous.

There I said it. Taken me years to admit to myself that once again our recruiters f***ed up.
Why are we bemoaning the departure of McEvoy? Come on, that was four years ago. We got a first round pick and Savage. Not a bad deal if you ask me. Let's move on!
Move on? Yes it was 4 years ago. A spit second in our history of trading great players for next to nothing.

I haven't moved on from trading a dual brownlow medalist for a used franger.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Sainternist wrote:

Move on? Yes it was 4 years ago. A spit second in our history of trading great players for next to nothing.

I haven't moved on from trading a dual brownlow medalist for a used franger.
Sounds like a very tough existance