What Did That Half Of Footy Prove?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

What Did That Half Of Footy Prove?

What did that half of footy prove?

Potentially we can go all the way. Yep. You read right. Potentially go all the way.

That was the best half of footy this team has ever played. That was the best half of footy any team in the competition has played this season. IMO.

In a word we were unbelievable, scintillating, devastating. Ok. That’s more than one word, but you get the idea.

Everything we’ve been trying to do, and couldn’t, just clicked into place.

For the first time in a long time we kicked more goals than points.

Yipee.

The Tigers had no answer to our withering attack. No team would have. That’s how good we played.

Can we win a premiership in 2017? On that kind of form, we could.

Absolutely.

We’ve established the benchmark. From now on all of our performances are going to be measured against that benchmark.

But if you know you can play that well, you also know you can do it again and again if you have to. And we have to.

Our run home is one of the toughest, if not the toughest of any team in the competition.

We’ve proved we can do it. Now we have to do it in every game we play.

Despite the excitement, I’m not going to get ahead of myself. It’s week-by-week and this week we have the Bombers. They are a good side.

But you know something? So are we. And I am very proud to say it. We’ve got a footy team.

Bring it on boys. We St Kilda supporters have been waiting a long time and I, for one, don’t want to wait any longer.
Last edited by damienc on Sun 09 Jul 2017 6:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: What Did That Half Of Footy Prove?

We learned that we can hit the scoreboard hard and bury a team

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

It proved that BJ Goddard should have put a lazy $500 on the result

(if footy players were allowed to gamble)

pre game on Ch 7, he said "I think with the occasion, the Saints will come home with the win"

I scoffed at the TV, the same way I scoffed when Donald Trump announced he was running for the presidency.

Well, there you go.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
carn_sainter
Club Player

A half can't prove or disprove anything. But it did show what our best looks like.

Like skeptic, i was most impressed by our capacity to bury a team, to put a game against a very good team away in one quarter. It was a kind of vicious we've not shown before.

Huge for confidence

dragit
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:What did that half of footy prove?
carn_sainter wrote:A half can't prove or disprove anything.
/end thread

Dead set bipolar around here. Spuds. Premiers. Spuds.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

At our best, weare pretty bloody good. But, even in last night's form, we'd struggle to beat the Crows at home and the Swans anywhere. They're the two most likely grand finalists in my book. I don't rate the Cats, Eagles and Port and I'm not on the GWS bandwagon: I reckon we can beat them more often than not.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
St.Roly
Club Player

It proved that the naysayers around here are conspicuous in their absence during and after great performances.

oh when the
Club Player

We played out three full quarters and didn't allow goals in time on period which we have done in past

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

It's a disturbing comment on how much emotion and a sense of righteousness can add to a team's performance.
Even make them kick straight for a change.
As I and others have pointed out, we fell in a heap after Sledgegate and the club's feeble response.
Can we rally around some new sense of purpose to plough right through into the finals?

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Proves the difference good disposal makes. For the first time in a long time, our disposal was excellent. If we could kick like that all the time then we will definitely win a lot more than lose.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Proves the difference good disposal makes. For the first time in a long time, our disposal was excellent. If we could kick like that all the time then we will definitely win a lot more than lose.
I know I'm like a broken record but I just don't think our disposal was as immaculate as so many seem to believe...
Absolutely we had our moments but this win was more force of will than precision (with the exception of the scoreboard I guess)... we were so dominant over the first 3/4 that IMO the fact that we sprayed the ball a bit heading forward was overlooked by the fact that Richmond turned it over worse and we had more attempts in quick succession and got it right through repetition.

dals_da_bomb
Club Player

Proves that I need to stay away from my weekly bets. Find another way to 'treat myself'.
I didnt do my traditional first goal, win, most poss. bets.
I did no bets.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

skeptic wrote:
Zed wrote:Proves the difference good disposal makes. For the first time in a long time, our disposal was excellent. If we could kick like that all the time then we will definitely win a lot more than lose.
I know I'm like a broken record but I just don't think our disposal was as immaculate as so many seem to believe...
Absolutely we had our moments but this win was more force of will than precision (with the exception of the scoreboard I guess)... we were so dominant over the first 3/4 that IMO the fact that we sprayed the ball a bit heading forward was overlooked by the fact that Richmond turned it over worse and we had more attempts in quick succession and got it right through repetition.
Repetition won't help against a stronger team like Shitney or the Crows
They don't cough it up like the yellow stripers

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
carn_sainter
Club Player

skeptic wrote:
It wasn't perfect, but it was clearly improved and clearly the best this season. A few cracking good passages of play moving the ball. I think we even scored twice from a kick-in taking it the length of the ground.

It was far better. Particularly in the first half, we scored goals from marks inside 50, inside that sweet spot of 10-40m out and we had and hit far more options than normal in the middle of the ground.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Every team coughs it up under pressure.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

skeptic wrote:
I have watched the first half 3 times since last night and I can tell you that it was the best half of footy any side has played this year. We moved the ball brilliantly and our defensive game was just perfect. If you want better than that you better hope there is a team out there that is supernatural that you can support.

saint3d
Club Player

damienc wrote:I, for one, don’t want to wait any longer.
You don't have to wait any longer. Longer has arrived.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

St.Roly wrote:It proved that the naysayers around here are conspicuous in their absence during and after great performances.
Yes and no.
The naysayers have been calling for integrity at the selection table and for Dunstan and Weller to have a spell.
Seems it worked a treat.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

It proves we struggle to play 4 quarters.

Jewellzy
Club Player

Not buying this "play 4 quarters" stuff.

3/4 time Richmond huddle, Hardwick would be screaming at his players to show something to take in to next week. While the message in the St.Kilda huddle would've been, we've got the 4 points, nothing silly, let's just get through with no injuries.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Jewellzy wrote:Not buying this "play 4 quarters" stuff.

3/4 time Richmond huddle, Hardwick would be screaming at his players to show something to take in to next week. While the message in the St.Kilda huddle would've been, we've got the 4 points, nothing silly, let's just get through with no injuries.
we have a shocking percentage...I know what I would be saying to our players.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

St.Roly wrote:It proved that the naysayers around here are conspicuous in their absence during and after great performances.
The half proved something we should all know by now.
Richmond are absolutely s***.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
The half proved something we should all know by now.
Richmond are absolutely s***.
Looks that way