Mcstake

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mcstake

WTF has a 197cm 108kg monster like Hawkins who is a power forward got to do with a 194cm leading forward like McCartin?

Only similarity

Fitness...or lack there of... which is why Hawkins is just a good forward, not a gun.

Paddy

Looks just a GOP... not sure what is elite about him?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:Pretty tough to really judge him on today's team performance. It certainly wasn't a day for forwards..of either team.
Buddy got 4 from memory. Tippet would have got 3 if he could kick. But I would agree that he had limited opportunities with our continued shanking forward. Conversely, we wanted to hold onto it all day at the other end.

stjohnc
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:Here we go, armchair (probable fat arsed) experts, whom I'm guessing have never played sport at more than a social level, if ever, writing Paddy off again.

K Stevens, DMac, Roberton, Geary, Montagna, Longer, Sinclair, Dunstan & Weller. All of these players had worse games than Paddy. Riewoldt & Membrey were about the same and at best only slightly better.

Our midfield was terrible today, utterly smashed, furthermore the movement of the ball into inside 50 was diabolically bad, I cannot remember one half decent kick into our forward 50, not one! How would you expect a key forward to go in those circumstances? On top of that we came up against the best defence we've faced all year by a mile.

And yet your caning a kid playing his 20th game as a key forward, in a team that was utter crap on the day. In 6 of those 20 games he was injured really early and played no more. He was the Sub in 2 of them. So he's only really played 12 games and never more than 3 in a row. So as a key forward he's a novice.

Now your harping on about him being disabled. Some players take longer to develop the body and engine for AFL football. Jack Steven took 5 or 6 seasons, Armitage about 5 seasons.

The fact that the kid is playing at this level with diabetes is a testament to his extreme courage and sheer mental toughness. And you bozos are writing him off, when you couldn't even fantasise his level of courage and I'm guessing rank as insipid in the mental toughness department.

So sit on your couch with a bag of chips, cake and a big frophy and squeal away. Then on Monday its back to work, ticking boxes and keeping your nose firmly planted between your bosses' cheeks. You ordinary armchair squibs.
+1

citywest

I reckon we should cut our losses at the end of this season and trade him. If Geelong are prepared to give us a pick in the 20's take it.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Mcstake

Stephen Theodore wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:Delivery into our forwards today was very ordinary.

The only thing that worried me about Paddy early was an apparent lack of pace to a defensive contest. Improved as the game went on.

Will spend plenty of time in the twos and will be better for it, but does need to be given a chance. I have no problem that they played him today, but whether he stays in against the speedy bulldogs is a big ask.

This summer will be a very big pre-season for him.
Agree, but how many pre seasons does he need, has very litttle definition through the arms/shoulders. Not the be all and end all, but normally shows how much work is done in the gym, and combined with diet ???
It's not the muscle issue that concerns me. It's not like he's getting rag-dolled. I want him to spend the pre-season doing whatever the hell can be done to build a tank. He needs to find some kind of short distance speed so he can get some space.

I agree he doesn't look as "cut" as some his age, but I'm not sure that's the problem. And I don't think he's "fat". That really gets my goat when people say that.

I was watching that replay of the Plugger 11 goal game in Sydney last night and he makes Paddy look skeletal (and yes, that was 20 years ago and yes, we expect a whole lot more now ...)
Last edited by SemperFidelis on Sat 20 May 2017 7:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

Always loyal
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:McCartin 194/95
Rampe 189/90

Schooled!!!
You mean Rampe the AA defender had the better of a 19 game forward.

Well I'm shocked.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
degruch
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:I reckon we should cut our losses at the end of this season and trade him. If Geelong are prepared to give us a pick in the 20's take it.
Out of contract at the end of the year, so what options do we have? Does he just walk? I'm beginning to this is another failed experiment sadly.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

The title sounds like McKenzie. He needs to be dropped for Savage. Bruce must come straight back

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

People saying we should keep playing McCartin. Really? And keep Bruce in the reserves?
Because McCartin, Membrey, Bruce and Roo in one team is too much, especially against
the speedy sides. One has to go and McCartin is the obvious choice.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Rampe 189/90

Schooled!!!

Well I'm shocked.
Yeah Rampe the former rookie was better than the No 1 pick.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You mean the AA third tall defender who is undersized?

How many games has Rampe played this year??

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Bruce G McAbee wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
Bruce G McAbee wrote:
Bluthy wrote:This is the price you pay for developing your number 1 pick power forward. He's only played what 20 games or so? He is going to have some ordinary games like today. To step up to the pace of AFL where there is no space is really hard for big forwards who rely on timing and takes a lot of games to get that consistency at AFL level going. It's why I always viewed this year as another experimental/developmental year ideally.

Gunna take time and games to start to see the best out of him. He's far from him ideal shape and fitness. But I'm confident his bullocking huge frame and play reading will be a great advantage for us, particularly in finals.

And he did some nice field kicking again today. Takes good options and delivers well.
Problem is, he hasn't really impressed in any games so far. Showed glimpses yes, but as yet hasn't taken the game on. If anything he's gone backwards from the end of last season. It might not be the diabetes, but his attitude and he has had his share of concussions and other injuries that may have him not mentally fit to fully commit himself to the game now. From what I saw today, better to cut our losses at the end of the season and see if anyone wants him, or just let him go.
I'm glad you're not running the Club.
So how long do you persist with him?
We've invested Pick 1 on him, the kid can play, so as long as it takes, because he will deliver. I reckon thats about 30 games and a preseason or two away.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:People saying we should keep playing McCartin. Really? And keep Bruce in the reserves?
Because McCartin, Membrey, Bruce and Roo in one team is too much, especially against
It appears, don't know for certain, that Bruce failed to hit the scoreboard today in the VFL.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

citywest wrote:I reckon we should cut our losses at the end of this season and trade him. If Geelong are prepared to give us a pick in the 20's take it.
Gee that'd be a supreme act of idiocy.

If we lose him to another Club he will make fools of us and we will rue the day.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Delivery was crap to the lad. It was a poor game he played, but everyone was down today. Roberton one of our best, and just about his worst game of the year. I do think Bruce is the better option at the moment, but to crucify Paddy on that game is hardly fair. The team as a whole deserve a spanking, and got it. But hard to single out indivduals, especially twenty game young key forwards.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Linton Lodger wrote:
Waltzing St Kilda wrote:People saying we should keep playing McCartin. Really? And keep Bruce in the reserves?
It appears, don't know for certain, that Bruce failed to hit the scoreboard today in the VFL.
I think he marked and kicked one in the third

Always loyal
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Linton Lodger wrote:
Bruce G McAbee wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
Bruce G McAbee wrote:
Bluthy wrote:This is the price you pay for developing your number 1 pick power forward. He's only played what 20 games or so? He is going to have some ordinary games like today. To step up to the pace of AFL where there is no space is really hard for big forwards who rely on timing and takes a lot of games to get that consistency at AFL level going. It's why I always viewed this year as another experimental/developmental year ideally.

Gunna take time and games to start to see the best out of him. He's far from him ideal shape and fitness. But I'm confident his bullocking huge frame and play reading will be a great advantage for us, particularly in finals.

And he did some nice field kicking again today. Takes good options and delivers well.
Problem is, he hasn't really impressed in any games so far. Showed glimpses yes, but as yet hasn't taken the game on. If anything he's gone backwards from the end of last season. It might not be the diabetes, but his attitude and he has had his share of concussions and other injuries that may have him not mentally fit to fully commit himself to the game now. From what I saw today, better to cut our losses at the end of the season and see if anyone wants him, or just let him go.
We've invested Pick 1 on him, the kid can play, so as long as it takes, because he will deliver. I reckon thats about 30 games and a preseason or two away.
This

Always loyal
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
CURLY wrote:
Rampe 189/90

Schooled!!!

Well I'm shocked.
Yeah Rampe the former rookie was better than the No 1 pick.
Your joking aren't you? Rampe is one of the best defenders in the AFL.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Everyone knew taking Paddy at #1 was a mistake...except Trout. Should be sacked

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:You mean the AA third tall defender who is undersized?

How many games has Rampe played this year??
Was the best defender for the best team in the AFL last season but yeah other than that Rampe is a donkey.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Bruce only got one goal apparently, early in the first qtr according to their twitter.
Zebs got done by 38
Wright got concussed at some point.
Zebs social media is useless, when they played Coburg Tigers a few weeks ago,
I got more news from the Tigers twitter feed and zero from Zebs.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You didn't answer... how many games has he played this year??

Not sure he played too many games as a key tall either... today, Mills even took Paddy for periods...

If Paddy wants to be a good player, he needs to be able to compete with good players... particularly ones he has a significant size advantage over....

And he's 21 not 18... you can perform at 21 or under... otherwise, Ross Lyon was right

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:You didn't answer... how many games has he played this year??

Not sure he played too many games as a key tall either... today, Mills even took Paddy for periods...

If Paddy wants to be a good player, he needs to be able to compete with good players... particularly ones he has a significant size advantage over....

And he's 21 not 18... you can perform at 21 or under... otherwise, Ross Lyon was right
Rampe is Sydneys best defender please don't try to talk him down to suit your agenda. Yeah McCartin needs to play better but so do a heap of others judging on today's game.

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:
Bruce G McAbee wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
Bruce G McAbee wrote:

Glad your not running the club. Maybe we should have persisted with White as well, after all he was suppose to be the savior. Just because he was the number 1 pick doesn't guarantee a career. He hasn't been setting the world on fire at Sandringham this year either.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Myron Gaines wrote:Everyone knew taking Paddy at #1 was a mistake...except Trout. Should be sacked
So let's imagine McCartin doesn't make it. You'd sack Trout for one call that didn't in hindsight work?. Please assure me that you don't run a business or manage people. Wow, stunning leadership. Inspirational!