Running Defenders - Our Achilles Heel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: Running Defenders - Our Achilles Heel

Johnny Member wrote: Fri 31 Mar 2017 10:36am I don't want this to be a Shane Savage bashing post, because it's not intended to be that.

But....

Our half-back line (to use an old, outdated term) is where our problems lie.

We play a pretty dour midfield, with Dunstan, Armitage and Ross in there most of the time. Steven is the only guy with ping and line breaking ability. Many supporters see this as a huge liability and the cause of our woes last week, and a genuine chink in our armour. It is of course, but I don't think it's the real issue.

A lot of teams don't actually have lots of speed and 'play making' directly in the middle. Some do, which certainly isn't a bad thing - but many have a similar setup to us with bigger bodies trying to either nullify the contest, or hold their position in order to feed the pill out to runners coming from the half back line.

I think that's where we fall down. Both from clearances, but in particular from setting up attacks from the back half.

I hate watching the Saints play, in a true football sense. We always look sloppy, rough around the edges and haphazard. The 'cleanness' just isn't there. It almost looks like we score by accident.

The times though, when we do look polished, clean and appear to have a real purpose and a sense of cohesion - is when Shane Savage is getting the ball and using it well. When he's getting it and not under pressure, suddenly the Seb Ross' of the world somehow seem to find space and the Armitage's appear to look like really valuable link up midfielders through the middle.

The problem is, it only ever happens in patches.

Savage just isn't good enough. And Webster isn't either.

Compare these two to Johannisen and Murphy. Or Johannisen and Boyd.

Or Rampi and Mills. Or Rampi and McVeigh.

Or Hodge and Birchall. Or Hodge and Burgoyne.

Or Shaw and Wilson and Williams.

I read this snippet last year after GWS beat us:

Half-backs Shaw, Nathan Wilson and Zac Williams were influential with a combined 20 rebound 50s, with 12 of the GIANTS’ 19 goals coming from scoring chains that started in the back half.

"No doubt when Williams or Wilson can win one-on-ones and turn defence into offense really, really quickly it can catch the opposition off," Cameron said post-match.

"I think the game is actually taking us that way. Everyone would love to have really good running backs because it can help you score … our guys are in pretty good form."

It's the same reason that Richmond win when Deledio plays. Otherwise, it's just Houli doing it, and he's not quite up to it. It's also why they tried Martin back there.

So the way I see it, is that we have Savage, Webster and Roberton in that type of role. Roberton I think does it more out of natural ability, in the sense that he wins the pill and has to use it - as opposed to getting the handball receive to set up offense from our D50 like the other two.

Montagna also plays that role.

But that's just not good enough for mine. When I talk about our lack of talent, this highlights for me. All the good teams have genuinely good users and accumulators in these roles - we don't. Granted, our backline has been decimated for the best part of a decade so there hasn't been a huge amount of handball receiving going on in our D50 which makes it hard to accumulate. We haven't had the luxury of allowing a Savage to peel off early for the handball receive knowing that a defender will win the contest.

Especially given the way we're trying to play, and the cattle we have in the middle. This role is vital.

The Dogs battled without Johannisen last year. They still had an AA in Boyd back there doing it whilst Johannisen was out, but their 'game plan' wasn't quite cutting it until they had run from Johannisen off half back.

Now I'm guessing here, and making some assumptions, but if Richardson is like the 17 other coaches he will have certain roles that are being carried out by certain players. The role won't change - but the player carrying it out can, and will. There's been plenty of talk on here about blooding young guys, in particular in the midfield. But for mine, we need to be trying to unearth someone, somewhere, that can step in to that running back role and force either Savage, Montagna or Webster out.

Until we get a Rhys Shaw, a Johannisen, a Burgoyne or someone of that premiership ilk, we're going to struggle. We have other holes in our list in terms of talent - but I think the running back needs to be our number 1 priority in both the immediate and long term.
Interesting OP.

A year later, and we still can't get the run going from the defensive half, and still can't generate anything meaningful from the middle.

Interestingly though, we have Rice, Roberton, Webster, Savage, McKenzie and White all in this 'role'.

So we're certainly not neglecting it - but just can't find anyone that's actually any good at it. Granted Roberton is out, and Webster needs some 'strong' coaching to tidy up his kicking - but the rest are well and truly either no good, or a fair way off.

I agree, and think we could carry our dour midfield if we could generate attack from the half-back line. But until we get some genuine run and carry back there, I don't know how you can ever expect to kick winning scores with a slow plodding midfield, and a slow, unskilled back half.

Could Gresham, Billings, Freeman or Sinclair take up this possie?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Coffield, eventually.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dalboy
Club Player

Coffield definately next year - i suspect he will move into the midfield eventually.
Would like to see Billings tried - his field kicking is better than good normally, just his goal kicking that disappoints

Happiness is a warm pie!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Even when Robbo was in the team he'd burst out of defence, stop, turn sideways and dish off to Ross, Steven, Steele, Savage, all stagnant in a row...no Roo to link up, Bruce playing too deep in attack. I think the problem has been in our midfield to be honest, we've got plenty of running defenders.

stkfc1
Club Player

Totally agree with everything said here.
Billings should defintley be tried more in the back half. Including kick ins.
Poor kicks- Geary Brown Gilbert DMac(improving)
Look good but suspect kicks - Webster(getting better) Savage.
Good kicks- Carlise Robberton
Jury still out- White Rice Austin Joyce
Doesn't read well does it.
Rice and White seem to have the ability to improve our situation although White cant get a game for whatever reason.
Only 2 players that are decent kicks and one of them not on the park.
End of the day quick ball movement will always beat quick leg speed and it only works if you're hitting targets.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

degruch wrote: Tue 31 Jul 2018 12:23pm Even when Robbo was in the team he'd burst out of defence, stop, turn sideways and dish off to Ross, Steven, Steele, Savage, all stagnant in a row...no Roo to link up, Bruce playing too deep in attack. I think the problem has been in our midfield to be honest, we've got plenty of running defenders.
Agree, all our positions could improve but I don't think it is our defense that is the major problem. We have so many HBF now so I feel other areas need more attention. More being the key word.
Some backs day are numbered as the new crop comes in (Savage) and hopefully they will be a bit quicker. Focus more on basic handballing and kicking skills, delivering quality into the forward 50, leading for the ball, goal kicking and work in and around the ruck.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: Sat 01 Apr 2017 2:34pm
BigMart wrote:I don't think that's the problem

I think it's our three stodgy mids... All left footers that don't win enough footy

A good midfield needs to win 150 possesions between 6 of them, that allows HBs to attack with more confidence

Jack 28
Seb 26

Armo 22
Luke 17
Jack N 22
Nick R 21

That's 136

Last year

Seb is down on last year, Nick played forward ... Billings went in...

last week then numbers were worse... we were slaughtered by their midfield
I tend to agree.
And before anyone says the numbers don't tell the full story and that we need to look at quality of possession.
If we look at quality the picture gets worse.
So we need to win more ball for starters.
And on top of that, use it better.
Our midfield is our main issue imo.
I'd play Acres every week.
Bump

Con and Big Mart rightly identified that the midfield was our achiles heel and not our running defenders. Many forumites in various other threads over the last 5 years have also highlighted the midfield as the key

Savage and Jimmy are playing the best football in their careers. People just need to acknowledge that they got it wrong

Acres, Jack Steele, and even the emergence of Rowan Marshall has tranformed us into a tougher contested ball midfield. Parker, Gresh and Benny Long have made us quick and lethal when we hunt the opposition.

Our guys are quick on the spread and provide options and multiple leads which also makes the defenders job a lot easier than in previous years

We also have silk in the team especially from Jack Billings. Jack Sinclair, Jack Newnes and Seb Ross are reliable and also important cogs in a well oiled engine room