Drafting for need

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SuperDuper
Club Player

Drafting for need

I have little doubt that we deliberately prioritised some outside run as a "need' this year and this lead to long beingh so high on our draft board.

No doubt our first 15 or so were ranked on "best available" and we would have taken any that slid from there... but we then prioritised outside run on our board..

i am not being critical, just opening up for thoughts on this, i.e. is that what happened? and Is it a good strategy?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Drafting for need

Yeah I kind of agree with you even if it isn't obvious. Losing our first rounder meant we were going to struggle to snag some elite stuff so its looks like we might have been a bit speculative on some roughies and also to fill holes

Long - seems a bit of a left-field selection. But I think he does give us a defender who has real ball winning ability - not sure that is the case with Savage and Webster. One of the strength of the dogs was they had contested ball winners everywhere which is huge in finals. It means onballers don't have to kill themselves to get to every contest and can stay out on the spread a bit more. How many times did you see Bont in space? Also Long has some run and dash and x-factor about him. PLus he looks in the AFL ready basket. So if I'm right about Richo thinking we could be a sneaky chance at a flag this year or next, Long makes sense as a ready to go utility if Savage or Webster or Wright or even *gasp* Geary aren't providing enough with both defence and attack.

Battle - I think they said he's just done Year 11 so is pretty young. He may even keep growing. He seems like a real project player that will take time. But I think we do need some forward line backup for Bruce, Paddy & Members. Pierce may come on as fwd-ruck but that is yet to see. Battle seems suited to a genuine lead out forward Gunston type role which gives Richo some options. Battles endurance would let him lead out all day even pushing up to the wings Roo style. Membrey is more a jack of all trades (and doing all of them well at the moment) playing close to goal. I'll also be looking to see if they might give Battle a go in the VFL in defence as the third tall, intercept marking rebounder type. We need to fill Dempsters shoes probably by next year.

Phillips - from the little vision on the website he seems a good kick. Trout said he kicks both feet really well. We need more of that good delivery type player.

I didn't really expect huge things this year with trading out our top pick so it makes sense to broaden out the type of players on out list and then next year we can just go best available with two first rounders (or a big trade). Richo now has a lot of bases covered and different options on all lines which you need when you go for a flag.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

How good id it that we are talking about players in the more distant future. For as long as I remember we have drafted for the next year, hoping some bright light would come and lead us forward, that this years draft choices were going to either top up the list, or fix a hole. This year, we have taken players, that don't NEED to be AFL ready in 2017, but can be developed and learn SAINTS footy prior to debuting.

I am excited that Long, Battle, and Phillips may not even play next year, because we have a pretty good starting 22, and that we can finally have a good chance of building a team, instead of cobbling one together.

I liken it to having lived off your credit card for the past 10 years, and now finally you have paid it off, and can start saving towards that new shiny silver cup.

Fortius Quo Fidelius

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

If Ben Long shows the same form for Sandringham he won't stay in the VFL too long.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:If Ben Long shows the same form for Sandringham he won't stay in the VFL too long.
So who does he replace? If they want him to play forward like he was doing for Footscray at the end maybe Wright. If they want him to play as a defender, then maybe Savage or Webster come under some pressure. Maybe longer term he's a fit for Geary's possie but Gears looks like one of Richo's favs so won't be going anywhere soon you wouldn't think. Plus we've got White who showed a bit in his first seniors game and Rice I really like - both have the good kicking we need on the backline. McKenzie has shown a bit too.

I think Minch will get pushed out by Steele or Stevens.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

I think we're at the stage in the rebuild where we have a solid core of talent. I reckon they doubted any of the guys they picked would be a walk up start to our best 22. Plus with any mid we pick this year it'd be tough for them to crack into the side, adding in effectively Steele, Koby and you could say Freeman. There is no rush/pressure on this crop to carry a load or develop in the seniors.

Next year with the 2 first rounders is where we go the solid high potential midfielders who might be closer to ready to play.

Carpe Diem
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would expect Ben Long to be picked early. He is someone that we dont already have on the list.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Unforgiven wrote:I think we're at the stage in the rebuild where we have a solid core of talent. I reckon they doubted any of the guys they picked would be a walk up start to our best 22. Plus with any mid we pick this year it'd be tough for them to crack into the side, adding in effectively Steele, Koby and you could say Freeman. There is no rush/pressure on this crop to carry a load or develop in the seniors.

Next year with the 2 first rounders is where we go the solid high potential midfielders who might be closer to ready to play.
A whole season away I know, but am picturing adding two gun mids next year. Trade for Kelly or Shiel and add an elite free agent.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Unforgiven wrote:I think we're at the stage in the rebuild where we have a solid core of talent. I reckon they doubted any of the guys they picked would be a walk up start to our best 22. Plus with any mid we pick this year it'd be tough for them to crack into the side, adding in effectively Steele, Koby and you could say Freeman. There is no rush/pressure on this crop to carry a load or develop in the seniors.

A whole season away I know, but am picturing adding two gun mids next year. Trade for Kelly or Shiel and add an elite free agent.
I agree. Some people are keen on Fyfe but I cant see that happening. Also if we look at it like a game of chess then recruiting a gun alone wont be enough - we also have to weaken our main rival and that is GWS. If we get Fyfe and GWS stay strong - they still probably win.
Going for Shiel or Kelly serves two purposes - we get a gun plus we weaken our main competitor.