Welcome Stevens

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

oh when the
Club Player

Welcome Stevens

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Welcome Stevens

giddy up

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
SMS
Club Player

IN: Koby 61 and next years fourth
OUT: 50, next years fifth

Huh?? That cant be right. Koby for nothing really.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Welcome Koby

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I think young Jade Gresham and Koby will be awesome together and it's great to have another indigenous fella in the club. Welcome bloke

In the first video he talks about where he grew up. In the second video he refers to the AFL Indiginous Round and one of the greatest indigenous players (if not one of the best ever players) to play for the St Kilda footy club. Some highlights in the 3rd video

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

What a trade period for the Saintas!

Obviously it's early days but our performance here reinforces my idea that our club as an institution is being run by serious professionals.

Looking forward to 2017.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
SaintAndrew
Club Player

SMS wrote:IN: Koby 61 and next years fourth

That's what I thought.
It feels like they are paying us to take him off their hands - and he's not even contracted.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Pretty much.

Also got Brown for nothing.

Steele for next years 2nd rounder

Freeman for this years 2nd rounder

And we still have two 2nd rounders to use this year plus two first rounders next year.

Thanks to the Hawks generosity.

The recriting team have pulled of a swindle.

Nearly as good a trick as Jesus with his loafs and Fishes when he delivered his sermon on the mount.

Now if they boys can deliver I will die a happy man. :D :D :D :D

(hope I haven't offended any christians)

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Welcome aboard Koby, lets hope the Saints can make the rapid charge that the Doggies did in your time withvthem!

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Welcome Koby

... i got a real good feeling about you.
enjoy yourself and shine bloke.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Francis Urquhart

Following my little chat on here last night with the most charming Ms Loris, some 'subversive elements' have been mischievously implying that those proles' over at the British bulldogs might have been, how should I put it, 'lent upon'?

Some may well say that, but (of course), I could not possibly comment. In fact, to the contrary, to the Footscray FC and all of its great unwashed followers, I merely wish to express my appreciation. Oh, and so sorry (crocodile tears) that I couldn't have been more helpful over that most unfortunate Talia investigation matter.

- F.U.

Sorry Kevin Spacey, but for me, there’s only one, magnificently Machiavellian F.U.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Pick 50 for a guy that has potential to go straight in best 22. Great trading.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

very good pick up... for lets face it, very little.

Will make a difference.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

STEVOOOOOOO!!!!

loris
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:STEVOOOOOOO!!!!

What does the 'bar code' on his shoulder stand for?

Soon our team will rival Collingwood for Tatts. Yuk!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

loris wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:STEVOOOOOOO!!!!
(insert picture of Koby Stevens' back- not replicated here due to size issues)
What does the 'bar code' on his shoulder stand for?

Soon our team will rival Collingwood for Tatts. Yuk!
Not bar codes.
They are kebabs (not the type rolled in pita bread, but the ones with meat and vegies on a skewer)

:shock: :lol: :P

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Francis Urquhart wrote:

Following my little chat on here last night with the most charming Ms Loris, some 'subversive elements' have been mischievously implying that those proles' over at the British bulldogs might have been, how should I put it, 'lent upon'?

Some may well say that, but (of course), I could not possibly comment. In fact, to the contrary, to the Footscray FC and all of its great unwashed followers, I merely wish to express my appreciation. Oh, and so sorry (crocodile tears) that I couldn't have been more helpful over that most unfortunate Talia investigation matter.

- F.U.
lol

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
loris
Saintsational Legend

Francis Urquhart wrote:

- F.U.
I'm sure the Hon Francis Urquhart would gravely remind the Western (not so born to rule) Bulldogs for season 2017....
"Nothing lasts forever, the most glittering reign must come to an end......."

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Francis Urquhart wrote:

- F.U.
I'm sure the Hon Francis Urquhart would gravely remind the Western (not so born to rule) Bulldogs for season 2017....
...Except the memories

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Francis Urquhart

loris wrote:
Francis Urquhart wrote:

- F.U.
Too right Loris! You clearly understand the ways of this world. Besides, glittering, and shabby little workers' hovels...? Those two simply don't sit well together.

Not Footscray's fault though. It's merely the natural order. Ending their 15 minutes of unaccustomed fame, well, this is an act of mercy....truly.

Footscray, you will thank us for it.

F.U.

Sorry Kevin Spacey, but for me, there’s only one, magnificently Machiavellian F.U.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Francis Urquhart wrote:
loris wrote:
Francis Urquhart wrote:

- F.U.
Too right Loris! You clearly understand the ways of this world. Besides, glittering, and shabby little workers' hovels...? Those two simply don't sit well together.

Not Footscray's fault though. It's merely the natural order. Ending their 15 minutes of unaccustomed fame, well, this is an act of mercy....truly.

Footscray, you will thank us for it.

F.U.
Honourable F.U, ...... If I can put it bluntly you have a remarkable brain, and I should plunder it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

In addition GWS have 6 of the 10 picks in between 50 and 61. They may not even use the to actually pick a player with in this range.

So it could end up:

IN: Koby 55 and next years fourth

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Why did he leave the Bulldogs anyway!??

On paper he seems like a good pick up but i can't help but be a bit concerned about his journeyman status...
Why hasn't he been able to put it together? Is it a case of when pressed to do the hard yards at training he walks?

I'm a little dubious on this kid. Obvious talent but something else there.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Why did he leave the Bulldogs anyway!??

On paper he seems like a good pick up but i can't help but be a bit concerned about his journeyman status...
Why hasn't he been able to put it together? Is it a case of when pressed to do the hard yards at training he walks?

After reading some of the posts on here in the other thread (before we actually secured Koby in the trade period) there seemed to be a fair bit of doubt and concern that we might be offering too much for him. I think he's a great pick up and we didn't have to give up a high pick to secure him.

I think that like a lot of young draftees he didn't get much opportunity with the Eagles and he is a Gippsland product so the home/family factor probably was the magnet back to a Vic club. There was a different coach in charge of the Dogs and Koby was given lots of opportunity and performed well in his first couple of years.

I still think he played a significant role for them in the early part of 2016 but with players like Dunkley, Hunter, Dalhaus, Mclean, Clay Smith and Caleb Daniel shining, it seems he found himself out of favour. A few others who will be coming back from injury like Lin Jong, Wallis etc. are also preferred by Bevo but maybe it was a decision ruled by some salary cap constraints with guys like Stringer and Tom Boyd and perhaps now the Bont and Libba also requiring some hefty increases in their contracts

Afl article taken from other thread on 'Koby Stevens'.

WESTERN Bulldogs midfielder Koby Stevens has requested a trade to St Kilda.

AFL.com.au understands the out-of-contract 25-year-old met with Saints coach Alan Richardson last week and has chosen Seaford as his new home ahead of an attractive offer from Essendon.

Stevens played just 12 games this season after battling injuries and indifferent form, and he didn't feature in the Dogs' successful finals campaign.

After playing the first six games of the season, the Gippsland Power product missed seven of the next eight games with an abdominal complaint.

Stevens, who averaged 22 disposals and five tackles a game in 2016, was dropped after the round 19 loss to Geelong, despite serious injuries to fellow midfielders Tom Liberatore and Jack Macrae.

He played out the remainder of the season in the VFL apart from the round 23 loss to Fremantle, as Josh Dunkley and Clay Smith were preferred ahead of him as high half-forwards.

A foot stress fracture and punctured lung prematurely ended Stevens' year in round 15.

The inside midfielder has managed 63 games in four seasons at Whitten Oval, following just 11 games in three years at West Coast.

Stevens becomes the second player to request a trade to the Saints this trade period, with Giant Jack Steele also wanting a fresh start at the club.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-13/d ... the-saints

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
skeptic wrote:Why did he leave the Bulldogs anyway!??

After reading some of the posts on here in the other thread (before we actually secured Koby in the trade period) there seemed to be a fair bit of doubt and concern that we might be offering too much for him. I think he's a great pick up and we didn't have to give up a high pick to secure him.
I agree that I think that he is a good pick up.

Cost Wises:
* I understand that his $$ Contract is actually quite modest
* Pickwise- If you crunch the numbers and also understand that GWS have 6 picks between 50 and 61 (So most likely we will pick whomever we would have anyway in 2016), and that for 2017 w have upgraded from a pretty useless 5th round pick to a 4th round pick that we have basically improved our drafting position and then gained Koby as "steak knives".

He addresses a midfield need both in type of player and also that we do not run deep enough in the midfield. The Doggies success in part this year resulted from great depth to their midfield.

He has had good form, but was cruelled with injuries last season just when he was going very well. He may just be a support mid, but he has also shown that he could be better than that. much better than that.

He is a at a good age for us both in the short and longer term.

He will add extra selection pressure to our existing midfield group, both established and emerging. Dunstan etc will know that they need to take the next step. Sinclair, Minch etc will know that they really have to improve to see senior game time.

With the Doggies:
*They actually in 2016 had a huge number of mids.
*They also have young mids pushing up
*And this with many of them being injured. ie Wallis was not playing and in 2017 will squeeze another mid out f their 22
*Doggies will most likely play one less mid in 2017 than 2016 as they will have both Crameri and Cloke available.
So bottom line is that the Dogs had an excess of mids, and an excess of very good mids at that, and so List management wise it made sense for them to cull hear to 1/ fit in more younger players and 2/rebalance their list.

All in all I think that he is a good moneyball pick up for the Saints. Pick-wise we effectively gain on the deal and playerwise we were short of what he can offer.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....