Luke Dunstan to be traded?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Recruit
Club Player

Re: Luke Dunstan to be traded?

Johnny Member wrote:
Vazelos wrote:I'm seeing a lot of love and respect for Luke Dunstan in this forum which makes me want to see him achieve a good career at St Kilda even more.
There is obviously people like jaxon close to the circles that know him well and speak highly of the boy's character.

This forum is great for learning things, I still would like to see his output improve in some areas and his age suggests he should have some upside going forward.
Dunstan does have a s*** haircut though.
agreed

Vazelos
Club Player

The Recruit wrote:
Vazelos wrote:
The Recruit wrote:
jaxons wrote:
Vazelos wrote:It's not a strong rumour or source but I did hear Luke Dunstan may be traded back to SA.
With the emerging Acres, Gresham , Billings and Mc Kenzie and Steele and Stephens coming in as well as hopefully Freeman coming good to compliment Jack Steven, Armitage and Ross is Dunstan under the pump to keep his spot?
He is a reasonable to good player but is he good enough for a top 4 side?
I have some question marks on him not convinced either way yet to rule him in or out I'm on the fence long term.

It's posts like these that make me question being a member of this site.
Sorry matey but you have no idea about football.
don't be pulled down by the minority Jaxons....some us actually watch football
Sorry for having an opinion, offer some substance and facts instead of shooting people down with condescending posts.
That's what intelligent people do. Look forward to your assessment on things in the future considering you obviously rate yourself better than others. I'm on Level 2 best seat in the house and have been going for quite awhile ( 5th decade of following saints) but I look forward to learning off you when you offer your opinion.
Well from that level you should see how valuable Dunstan is to any team structure, you have the best seats in the house.
Based on other posts in this thread my opinion is shared by most. Dunstan third picked every week behind Steven and Ross.....tackling pressure, clearance work and general leadership outstanding for a player of his age. He is more than good enough to play in a top 4 side....adamant he will captain the saints in the future if not Vice....will be good viewing from level 2 over the next 50 years for you, or maybe us plebs with seats on level three are too far away to tell the good players form the bad?

Seb Ross I called in December he would have a break out year so I may see some things that maybe you don't see on Level 3 or did you call it back then as well?!!
I dont share the view Dunstan would walk in any top 4 side, I think you have over cooked our assessment of him based on his output at this moment in time.
I'm not as confident as you that he will be automatic 3rd picked in the mid field going forward, time will reveal all.
A future Captain as well?!! A lot of love for Luke, he must be a ripper bloke.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

I don't get all the negativity towards Dunstan.
He has been in the system for 3 years!

He was thrown into a midfield before he should have been ready and has shown a lot.
Sure he has areas to work on but who doesn't?

He may not be the flashiest player on the team but he plays an important role.

Stick with him guys, he will be a 200+ gamer!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote:
The Recruit wrote:
Vazelos wrote:
The Recruit wrote:
jaxons wrote:
Vazelos wrote:It's not a strong rumour or source but I did hear Luke Dunstan may be traded back to SA.
With the emerging Acres, Gresham , Billings and Mc Kenzie and Steele and Stephens coming in as well as hopefully Freeman coming good to compliment Jack Steven, Armitage and Ross is Dunstan under the pump to keep his spot?
I have some question marks on him not convinced either way yet to rule him in or out I'm on the fence long term.

Sorry for having an opinion, offer some substance and facts instead of shooting people down with condescending posts.
That's what intelligent people do. Look forward to your assessment on things in the future considering you obviously rate yourself better than others. I'm on Level 2 best seat in the house and have been going for quite awhile ( 5th decade of following saints) but I look forward to learning off you when you offer your opinion.
Well from that level you should see how valuable Dunstan is to any team structure, you have the best seats in the house.
Based on other posts in this thread my opinion is shared by most. Dunstan third picked every week behind Steven and Ross.....tackling pressure, clearance work and general leadership outstanding for a player of his age. He is more than good enough to play in a top 4 side....adamant he will captain the saints in the future if not Vice....will be good viewing from level 2 over the next 50 years for you, or maybe us plebs with seats on level three are too far away to tell the good players form the bad?

Seb Ross I called in December he would have a break out year so I may see some things that maybe you don't see on Level 3 or did you call it back then as well?!!
I dont share the view Dunstan would walk in any top 4 side, I think you have over cooked our assessment of him based on his output at this moment in time.
I'm not as confident as you that he will be automatic 3rd picked in the mid field going forward, time will reveal all.

I called Seb early last year, before the real season started as did a few other on here. Before he did his hammy.

So calling him in December doesn't cut anything with me.

And you are dead wrong about Luke. He was the under 18 captain of the Sth Aussie side so he definately has leadership qualities.

It's okay mate to admit you were wrong.

You can undue the knots in your knickers. :D

supersaints
Club Player

I stated a fair bit that Luke has sacrificed his own game to play the defensive midfield. He had a body beyond his years that enabled us to play him in that role rather than recruit an older hard bodied mid that did not fit our age demographic .. Now with this years recruits Luke will be able to develop his outside game. He's our Lenny... Just wait and see. Too many posters look purely at possessions and have no idea

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan could be anything, will be one of those players that start getting universally admired once we're back in the top 4.

Probably suffers from having such a good debut season, warps expectations a bit.

Still has a lot of work to do, but if his first season was spent on the VFL without his last two seasons changing we would be quite excited about the progress.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
the dome
Club Player

Luke Dunstan Stayin Alive

supersaints wrote:I stated a fair bit that Luke has sacrificed his own game to play the defensive midfield. He had a body beyond his years that enabled us to play him in that role rather than recruit an older hard bodied mid that did not fit our age demographic .. Now with this years recruits Luke will be able to develop his outside game. He's our Lenny... Just wait and see. Too many posters look purely at possessions and have no idea
Luke has certainly shouldered a lot of hard work early. I am also keen to see Luke operating with a few more solid lads around him.to share the responsibilities now. Wishing Luke all the best with his rehab and pre-season. Looking fwd. to a very positive 2017 for Luke.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I never heard any such rumours of LD being put on the trading block. I would never underestimate the boy. He has a big future head. He'll definitely good enough to be a part of a top four team.

I did, however, come across some rumours about Armo being traded and that GWS were interested in having him, but that doesn't look likely now.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:I don't get all the negativity towards Dunstan.
He has been in the system for 3 years!

He was thrown into a midfield before he should have been ready and has shown a lot.
Sure he has areas to work on but who doesn't?

He may not be the flashiest player on the team but he plays an important role.

Stick with him guys, he will be a 200+ gamer!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:I never heard any such rumours of LD being put on the trading block. I would never underestimate the boy. He has a big future head. He'll definitely good enough to be a part of a top four team.

I did, however, come across some rumours about Armo being traded and that GWS were interested in having him, but that doesn't look likely now.

Never likely.

In fact he is the face of St Kilda for next year's membership drive.

On the cover of the Recruitment Departments membership renewal form.

The rumours were crap and Armo is a Saint for life, unless he chooses otherwise.

Can you imagine the fallout if he had been traded at the same time these forms were being posted to members.

jaxons
Club Player

Vazelos wrote:I'm seeing a lot of love and respect for Luke Dunstan in this forum which makes me want to see him achieve a good career at St Kilda even more.
There is obviously people like jaxon close to the circles that know him well and speak highly of the boy's character.

This forum is great for learning things, I still would like to see his output improve in some areas and his age suggests he should have some upside going forward.

Not just his character he can really play too.
Had some amazing patches during this year.
As he gets more mature those patches will turn into dominant games.
He is the type that will be winning us finals when we are ready through his hardness.
I am pretty confident he will be the next Saints captain after whoever gets the gig next year.

jays
Club Player

wont be going anywhere ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Vazelos
Club Player

jaxons wrote:Hi Vazelos
You didn't touch a nerve mate.
Your assessment on Dunstan is just wrong.
Footy is an opinion business and you are entitled to yours.
However internally the view on Dunstan is so strong both now and for the future.
Sorry to burst your bubble again I'm not trying to be confrontational but we never were that interested in Rockliff so not sure about that either.
Never have claimed to be a big scoop man either.
Just trying to give the faithful accurate trade information.
Move on mate we all cherish the Saints.
Hi Jaxon,

I told you I would come back on Dunstan?
What's your take now he has been sent to Sandringham?
I think you over rated the boy, are you mates with him?
Media experts, past champions etc have targeted our mid field as disappointing and not performing and Dunstan gets dropped so not hard to work out who isn't rated at the moment as you suggest.

For the record mate, my sources were super strong on Rockliff, the discussion did take place and it was a very quick No from the Lions, the conversation ended as quick as it started but we did offer the trade. Unless your connected right up to the board you would not know that.

Vazelos
Club Player

saynta wrote:
Vazelos wrote:
The Recruit wrote:
Vazelos wrote:
The Recruit wrote:
jaxons wrote:

I called Seb early last year, before the real season started as did a few other on here. Before he did his hammy.

So calling him in December doesn't cut anything with me.

And you are dead wrong about Luke. He was the under 18 captain of the Sth Aussie side so he definately has leadership qualities.

It's okay mate to admit you were wrong.

You can undue the knots in your knickers. :D
The football department don't seem to share your strong views anymore mate, You went very hard on this subject, got a little smart too but it seems your boy let you down. No one likes a smart arse but you had it coming.
I had to re read the posts and forgot how hard some people when on this subject. I was even told I don't watch the games and have no idea about football.
As you said, " No harm in admitting your wrong!"
For the record I wish Dunstan was smashing it but some of us saw things early on his game.
Hope he turns it around!!

Vazelos
Club Player

The Recruit wrote:
Vazelos wrote:
The Recruit wrote:
jaxons wrote:

Still not seeing what you are seeing ' The Recruit".. may have to go down to Trevor Barker Oval and get a closer look!!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely no harm in young Luke getting a run with Sandy, could be just what the young guy needs! A quality young man, who has a bright future at our club! Go Saints! GO! ( to hell with the rest !)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Jesus, how long has this bloke been waiting to tell everyone 'I told you so'?

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
Vazelos
Club Player

Proph3t of egan wrote:Jesus, how long has this bloke been waiting to tell everyone 'I told you so'?
About 5 rounds mate not that long!!
If you got told you have no idea about football and you don't watch games it tends to stick a little bit!!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan, it's pretty simple
He cannot spread so can't get much of the footy
And I would have thought it was Seb who was getting the more defensive jobs?
Who has Luke nullified?

He is where he should be on form, in the vfl
If he's as good as suggested he should average 30-35 at that level

I keep saying it

Dunstan, McCartin, Billings, Longer - none are AFL fit
3 of them are too heavy
1 doesn't work hard enough

I would also suggest that Since 2014
Armo and Steven have carried the inside midfield

PremiershipSaint
Club Player

Bog average player.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:I think as supporters we consistently expect the players to hit their peak potential immediately when in reality, it usually takes 5 years. I would have thought Dunstan is doing much better than Seb at the same age.
Yeah but Dunstan was a man child fully mature at 17.
We can't ignore that his tank is well below average for an AFL midfielder. He simply cannot run out a full game and offer little spread.
Can this be overcome?
Well as you point out Seb managed to improve his tank so it can be done. Just Dunny's body shape makes me wonder if he can do it. He may have less improvement than Seb. I think Dunny may have a lower ceiling than Seb.

Vazelos
Club Player

Big Mart you are spot on.
If/when we develop a top 4 mid field Seb Ross will be the elite shut down mid fielder in the side that can also get his own pill and hurt teams teams the other way.
Jack Steele and I hope Koby Stevens will assist as the contested ball beasts.
Jack Steven and one or 2 new recruits will be our A listers.
Where does that leave the rest?!?
With a lot of work to do.
We will have a good look at Jack Sinclair today and see how much his tank has improved.
Dunstan's tyres have been deflated and the aura of him being an automatic selection is over.
This is good because he will fight like hell to get back in and he will start doing the things the football department expect him to do or it's pretty simple, he won't get games.
The Dunstan backers in here like Jaxon and the Recruit who think he is a future captain and star of our team will expect him to react to this as a proud footballer would and smash it in the VFL.
This is the environment that produces good teams as we all know.
Last edited by Vazelos on Sat 29 Apr 2017 2:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So what if Luke was under 18 captain. Plenty of State under 18 Captains don't get drafted at all.
So what that he is rated 'intenally'. Coaches can fall in love with players and get it wrong. It happens all over the AFL.
The reality is Luke averages 17 disposals per game and this is not improving. Maybe even getting worse.
His running ability is a serious issue.
Let's not pretend otherwise.
It is a running game for midfielders so if you can't run people should and will ask questions.
Joel Selwood averaged 27 in his third and 28 in his 4th seasons.
Acres has already overtaken Luke on disposals and Acres is almost a year younger.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 29 Apr 2017 12:11pm, edited 2 times in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Watched a number of running sessions

Jack Sinclair finished top 5 this year in most time trials

Geary, McKenzie, Newnes, Phillips also the biggest tanks

Next

Acres, Gilbert, Steven, Freeman, Battle, Weller, Stevens in the next group

Apparently Steele is a good runner but was carrying a foot injury

Poorer runners
Obviously the ruckmen but Longer was easily the slowest of them... Hickey and Holmes run ok for 200+ players

Whilst Billings was not near the bottom
Why (at his size and weight) isn't he near the top?

Dunstan and McCartin terrible, White and Rice are not the greatest

Roo, Carlisle and Joey didn't run much

Bruce and Membrey good runners for the positions they

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Watched a number of running sessions

Jack Sinclair finished top 5 this year in most time trials

Geary, McKenzie, Newnes, Phillips also the biggest tanks

Next

Acres, Gilbert, Steven, Freeman, Battle, Weller, Stevens in the next group

Apparently Steele is a good runner but was carrying a foot injury

Poorer runners
Obviously the ruckmen but Longer was easily the slowest of them... Hickey and Holmes run ok for 200+ players

Whilst Billings was not near the bottom
Why (at his size and weight) isn't he near the top?

Dunstan and McCartin terrible, White and Rice are not the greatest

Roo, Carlisle and Joey didn't run much

Bruce and Membrey good runners for the positions they
Bingo.
Obviously Joey and Roo would be as fit as anything with a huge base.
Carlisle probably recovering from hip.