Dustin Martin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Dustin Martin

Now before you all start jumping down my throat. Let me add the following disclaimer. This is my OPINION but it is based on what I regard as compelling logic.

Let me explain.

The people in the know on this forum, and we all know who they are, have said that we are in the running to sign an absolute superstar in the game for season 2017. They have said if it comes off it will cause shockwaves through out the football community. I, for one, believe them implicitly.

The number of disgruntled superstars currently in the AFL you can count on one hand. There have been some mutterings about N.Fyfe. He may well leave the Dockers but not in time for season 2017. So I count him out.

Tom Rockliff is an elite ball winner but I would not call him a superstar in the same vein as who I am talking about. So I count him out.

The Saints interest in someone like Dusty is obvious. I don't need to talk about why we would want him.

The questions are, would he want to leave Tigerland? And why would he? Here's where it gets interesting IMO.

Richmond is a train wreck. The Board is at each others throats. This kind of infighting will inevitably trickle down to the playing group. Secondly, their coach is just plain weird. Here is one example. He had a starring CHF in Jack Rooey who at one stage was kicking bags of goals every game. Now Jack is lucky to hit the scoreboard in any way. Badly handled by the coach IMO.

Now, let me say I do happen to have well placed sources at Richmond. They tell me that despite his obvious talent, Dustin Martin is somehow on the outer with the coach. In fact the word toxic was used.

The differences between coach and player surfaced publicly earlier in the season. Hardwick, questioned Martin's commitment. Coaches at times call players a lot of things but to question a player's commitment is very personal and in this case very insulting and just plain wrong. It was bizarre and from left field. When Hardwick said it, I could not believe a coach would have said that about one of his superstar players.

Martin, being the kind of individual that he is, just kept letting his footy do the talking. In season 2016 he was a shining light amongst a pack of very ordinary performers. He won the club B&F. So much for a lack of commitment.

Martin's Manager was seen inspecting our facilities very recently. Now a lot of you might say, so what? His manager represents a number of players and one of them, N.Haynes, was linked to the Saints. But I believe the Manager was there on behalf of his number one client: D.Martin. Again that is my opinion.

Getting Dusty would be a huge coup. He is brutal at the contest, brings offensive and defensive pressure. He would be a midfield general for our young guys. Every time he has the ball and he gets it plenty, he makes something happen.

Now many of you will think I am completely mad. You may be right. If you don't agree with me, so be it. You are entitled to your opinion just like I am. And if our impeccable sources, who we all know, say I am barking up the wrong tree completely then I will accept their judgement. No harm done. But if I am right we might all have something to truly celebrate. The end.
Last edited by damienc on Sat 17 Sep 2016 5:48pm, edited 4 times in total.

felix
Club Player

Re: Dustin Martin

Only if he gets a new hair stylist.

Playon
Club Player

Yeah his manager was seen at our HQ :)
But I'd imagine he might be a next year FA target. By us possible.
Not to mention Fyfe..

So in theory why trade for these players now, it'd be better to land one next year, Unless for example Richmond has but his name out there, which would be really hard to keep quiet.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Basically a club needs to get, within reason, whatever players it takes to get a premiership. Though I don't think I could handle any more idiot tatts in the team.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't like to see Dusty at the Saints, he's a good player but he's a flog.

If the club gets him then so be it, i just hope they don't sell the farm to do it.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Boy can play. Would be a MASSIVE get.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Would Sam Fisher let him into Suzie Wong's?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Playon
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:Would Sam Fisher let him into Suzie Wong's?
Under the condition he uses a spoon

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:Would Sam Fisher let him into Suzie Wong's?
Under the condition he uses a spoon

:D

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Your post does not sound logically compelling to me. In fact, just the opposite.

I don't mean to be rude. Just being honest.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
damienc
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:Your post does not sound logically compelling to me. In fact, just the opposite.

Like I said in my post. You are entitled to your opinion. So am I. Would love to read your arguments to the contrary.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Your post does not sound logically compelling to me. In fact, just the opposite.

Like I said in my post. You are entitled to your opinion. So am I. Would love to read your arguments to the contrary.
There's no evidence that he's coming to us and I also think we'd have to give up too much to get him.

I'd rather we try and secure fringe players like Steele and keep going to the draft.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
70s sainter
Club Player

would love to have the player . But his influence on the young cleanskins could be a worry judging by his off season photos of the past and his bikie connections. Why does every potential gun on offer have to have some injury concern or tossbag concern. Why cant we just land a all round champion , the likes of a sloane or dangerfield. Maybe we need to get Lenny back in 2018 with a couple of twin premiership guns from gws.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Martin will be a free agent end of next year if he doesn't sign a new contract. IF Hardwick continues to make Richmond a hell hole and then gets the sack sometime next year and they want to rebuild, then Martin may consider moving and Richmond be ok with getting a comp pick. To me Martin is exactly the FA that we have been building our war chest for. He fills the biggest hole in our list - a genuine superstar inside and outside mid with great disposal.

He is a genuine onballer with real class (on-field). Great disposal, creative, great run and carry, those don't-argues to break tackles and get it out to runners, can push forward for goals or play as a goal scoring half forward with his good marking - a lot of flexibility. With him and Steven as our flagship mids, and then you fit Armo, Acres, Gresh, Ross, Dunny around that - wow that is a premiership midfield with depth.

This is what we have been building our war chest for - to get a FA that costs no draft picks only cold hard cash. If we got him next year FA, Martin will be 26 - in his prime for our flag push.

However the d**khead-factor is a worry. Just had the chopsticks and wasn't his dad recently deported to NZ? The club would have to really do a good investigation to feel if more scandel is likely and whether we could ride that out. Bad boys if kept on the rails can give us an edge in aggression but there is a tipping point where they outweigh their use.

Richo could be that father-figure, calming influence that he seems to have been to Carlisle. The club also did a great job getting Jake a job and giving him a focus that is hopefully maturing him and could do similar with Dusty. And we seem to be building some strong leaders who could set good guidelines.

I would hope the club is doing a serious investigation of Martin. I almost feel like if he is available FA next year, then its a risk we need to take to get a genuine class midfield to compete with the clubs who have pumped a lot of high picks into their midfield (whereas we haven't so much) .

Rosco
Club Player

FA status next year might be a reason for the Tigers to trade him this year. It would take our 1st round pick this year and next (10 & 12ish?) and maybe more. I'd do it if the maybe more is not much more.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Rosco wrote:FA status next year might be a reason for the Tigers to trade him this year. It would take our 1st round pick this year and next (10 & 12ish?) and maybe more. I'd do it if the maybe more is not much more.
Longer, Billings and pick 10 for Dusty and 2nd Rounder?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Rosco
Club Player

Not billings for me. Too much.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Rosco wrote:Not billings for me. Too much.
Understand what your saying, but Dusty will finish top 3 in the Brownlow and will only get better from here!!!!!

Carnt be stacked in our favour when your trying to hook a bigfish!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Rosco
Club Player

stonecold wrote:
Rosco wrote:Not billings for me. Too much.
Understand what your saying, but Dusty will finish top 3 in the Brownlow and will only get better from here!!!!!

Carnt be stacked in our favour when your trying to hook a bigfish!!!!!
I know what you're saying too. It's in the ball park and down to haggling. It means landing a FA or two at the end of 2017 as well cos this trade would mean we are forcing the window open.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

I've watched a lot of Dusty this year and he's incredible. Second to Dangerfield. He has the strength and ability to break tackles, get his hands free and keep the ball moving. He did very well in a rubbish team.

I don't care that he has a s*** haircut and tattoos. Or has connections to the underworld or what ever. His football does the talking and his 'links' has not impacted his football nor the attraction of sponsors. Dusty has what it takes to bring St Kilda to serious contention. If a sponsor does walk because he's seen having a quiet beer with a gnarly looking dude, a winning team has options. Others will sign up a top 4 and premiership contention team.

Seeing the Dogs blitz but then how we played the Dogs, a Carlisle, another KPD, continued growth in youngsters and a gun such as Martin puts us top 4 potentially.

That being said.... I'd be surprised if Martin would be on offer. He's young enough for Richmond to build their next tilt on.

Very meh about Rocky but would get it done if it did not jeopardise the potential to land a holy grail fish next year such as Fyfe.

St Loxton
Club Player

I agree Bardon, I would take him in a heartbeat.
I want us to win a flag, been waiting 43 years, dont care too much anymore about us all just being a bunch of angels.
If we are gun players on the field, thats what I care about to get us there.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Just as long as he cuts that god awful turkey mullet off.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Still blame Watters for him not being a Saint.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Bardon Saint wrote:
That being said.... I'd be surprised if Martin would be on offer. He's young enough for Richmond to build their next tilt on.

Very meh about Rocky but would get it done if it did not jeopardise the potential to land a holy grail fish next year such as Fyfe.
With a background in psych, I'm absolutely fascinated by the idea of what a Richmond player's mentality must be like. Am in my early 30s and with the exception of the franchise clubs, though GWS is potentially about to break this, Richmond is the only club that since I've been alive has never even remotely looked like a premiership threat... Ever

Bulldogs
Melbourne
Freo

Have all at least at one time or another gottem to a pre-lim or higher and looked like they could do it on their day... The Saints (historically worst performing club) have made 3 GFs, 4 prelims + the early 90s etc. really could have had 4-5 premierships had luck gone their way a bit more...

But the closest Richmond has come... One Pre-Lim where they were clearly the third best club by a mile in the early noughties... Seriously, in 30 years

And now they've gone backwards again after overrating their list again... The coach is a deadman walking, the board is divided and the fans want instant success.

If you're a superstar at that club... Dusty, Jack, Lids, Cotchin etc. what's the incentive to stay? Get the coin somewhere else and actually have a shot at a cup

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

f*** YEAH!! I'll buy 3 extra memberships if we get him